GUILTY WI - 6 dead, 61 injured after car rams into crowd at holiday parade, Waukesha, 21 Nov 2021 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prosecutors Push to Unmask Accused Waukesha Parade Attacker During Upcoming Trial
Sep 19, 2022
On Monday, prosecutors motioned to make Darrell Brooks Jr. remove his face mask during his upcoming trial that is scheduled for October 3. Brooks is accused of attacking the Waukesha parade on November 21, 2021. The judge ruled that Brooks can keep his mask on unless asked to remove it during witness testimony for identification purposes or if asked during closing arguments. Any witness that takes the stand must remove their mask to testify.

One of the attorneys for Darrell Brooks, 40, facing an October jury trial in the November 2021 Waukesha Christmas parade attack, filed a motion to withdraw from the case Thursday, Sept. 22, less than two weeks before the scheduled start of the trial, online court records show.

Attorneys Jeremy Perri and Anna Kees have been defending Brooks since November 2021. Perri filed the motion to withdraw Thursday because Brooks wants to represent himself.

I am trying to wrap my head around what the defense could possibly be? The defendant has withdrawn his "Insanity" defense. And states he is "Not Guilty".

Could he possibly blame the car going out of control?

No, he kept his foot on the gas pedal, even when an officer tried to shoot him to stop the car.

The victim impact statements alone...are going to be very emotional. Especially the eight year old, in a wheelchair for life.

Last edited:
I am trying to wrap my head around what the defense could possibly be? The defendant has withdrawn his "Insanity" defense. And states he is "Not Guilty".

Could he possibly blame the car going out of control?

No, he kept his foot on the gas pedal, even when an officer tried to shoot him to stop the car.

The victim impact statements alone...are going to be very emotional. Especially the eight year old, in a wheelchair for life.
I wonder if this is another ploy by DB.

Just a guess: Since he’s been found competent to stand trial, he will use the courtroom as a theater to showboat his antics, which may lead to a mistrial if he’s subsequently deemed incompetent to represent himself.

I agree about the victim impact statements. The human devastation created by DB is heartbreaking. The emotional impact on the victims and families is unfathomable, and to a point has affected those of us in the public.

I know I am a bit more nervous at parades and public events than I once was.

And I will never be able to hear Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas“ song again in the same way I once did.

jmo

Last edited:
I wonder if this is another ploy by DB.

Just a guess: Since he’s been found competent to stand trial, he will use the courtroom as a theater to showboat his antics, which may lead to a mistrial if he’s subsequently deemed incompetent to represent himself.

I agree about the victim impact statements. The human devastation created by DB is heartbreaking. The emotional impact on the victims and families is unfathomable, and to a point has affected those of us in the public.

I know I am a bit more nervous at parades and public events than I once was.

And I will never be able to hear Moriah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas“ song again in the same way I once did.

jmo
All he has in his favor is to stall. The outcome after trial is a given. I believe that there will be something that will come up to postpone the trial date, or, as you say, the trial will be such a joke with his antics, that the judge will have to stop the trial, and assign new counsel. Stalling...

The perpetrator has nothing to look forward to here, except LWOP. There would be huge community outrage in any sort of plea deal for 20 years...or less.

All he has in his favor is to stall. The outcome after trial is a given. I believe that there will be something that will come up to postpone the trial date, or, as you say, the trial will be such a joke with his antics, that the judge will have to stop the trial, and assign new counsel. Stalling...

The perpetrator has nothing to look forward to here, except LWOP. There would be huge community outrage in any sort of plea deal for 20 years...or less.
I have seen the stall happen in other cases. I know you have also. I always wonder why? Is the County Jail better than prison? I suppose the getting moved back and forth to court for months or years beats 24/7 jail. Such a waste of resources.

I have seen the stall happen in other cases. I know you have also. I always wonder why? Is the County Jail better than prison? I suppose the getting moved back and forth to court for months or years beats 24/7 jail. Such a waste of resources.
Well, all he has is LWOP to look forward to, so, I guess he will just work whatever angle he can...

OMG listening to the pretrial hearing and God help this judge and the attys in this case! At times like this I fantasize about what it would be like for these defendants in North Korea! Please tell them over there about being a sovereign citizen!

His refusal to say the word "understand" probably has to do with the sovcit belief that "I understand" is the same as saying "I stand under" the power of the court. It's word salad mixed with a mishmash of legal terminology that is tied up with a bow decorated with hubris. IMO

I have to say this is a good way to frustrate the process. The judge is now stuck in no man’s land I feel like. Having this guy represent himself will be a nightmare imo. But even with counsel I think he will continue to stall the process but it’s better than him representing himself.

The judge in this case displayed a tremendous amount of patience and professionalism throughout the hearings this week, and I applaud her for that. I can’t say that I would have been as patient as she was with his antics, as I was getting frustrated just watching him through the computer screen. I really worry about the upcoming trial and what effect his antics and outbursts will have on the many victims who have already suffered enough by his doing. IMO.

There was a death penalty case in Georgia a few years ago of a step-mother (Tiffany Moss) who slowly starved and killed her step-daughter and then with help from her husband, the bio dad, tried to burn the body to get rid of evidence. She decided to represent herself and did not make an opening/closing statement, cross-examine any witnesses, or provide any evidence. She just sat through the trial and did nothing. She got convicted and was given DP. And the prosecutor said that it was a tactic to make herself seem vulnerable/powerless against the big bad state. She came across arrogant and defiant to me.

And I feel like that's how this guy is going to come across as he sits there and fumbles his way through this trial. I can't imagine he will do much more than this step-mother. The good thing is, moving forward, whatever argument he makes no matter how non-sensical, the judge can't advise/explain anything to him so he forfeits any legitimate objections/arguments and loses by default. The judge will just hear him and say ok thank you and rule. Anytime the state objects and it's sustained, he will have to shut down any inappropriate line of questioning. I imagine the state will be up and down like a jack in the box objecting when victims are testifying. Unlike what we saw the past couple days, there will be no prolonged, patient explanations and advisements from the judge.

WAUKESHA, Wis. (AP) — Darrell Brooks‘ trial was never going to be easy for the Milwaukee suburb of Waukesha. Now it could hurt even more.

Brooks plowed through the city’s Christmas parade in his Ford Escape last year, killing six people and injuring dozens more, prosecutors allege. His trial opens Monday with jury selection and is expected to last at least a month.

Prosecutors have lined up hundreds of videos of the incident and dozens of eyewitnesses to testify, promising a case that legal experts have called overwhelming. But Brooks changed the playing field last week when Judge Jennifer Dorow ruled he could represent himself."

Brooks, who has no legal training, has already shown himself to be disruptive and combative. What looked like a straightforward proceeding could quickly devolve into a painful slog for still-grieving witnesses, legal observers said.

“It’s really going to be a challenging trial for the witnesses,” said Tom Grieve, a criminal defense attorney based in Madison. “You have a defendant who feels like he has nothing to lose. He’s going to try to make as big a mess as possible and force a fumble by the prosecutors or judge and try to force a mistrial or build an appeal.”

Just imagining here, but due to Brooks' more recent outbursts and shenanigans in the courtroom...I cannot even begin to think how he will "behave" during jury selection. This poor judge ( and jury if we ever get there).

Just as expected....
Per twitter, as cameras are not allowed in court during jury selection today:

I can imagine many prospective jurors will have an easy "out." If I were called, I'd be honest and say the defendant appears to be crazy (using the colloquial meaning of crazy, and NOT incompetent, btw) and terrifies me, and it would take superhuman effort to sit in the courtroom with him. I would do my best to consider him "innocent," and approach the case with an open mind, but that would be a tall order, lol! IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288