SC SC - Eva Gerline (or Jurlyn) DeBruhl, 15, Catawba, 29 June 1977

Did anyone OUTSIDE the family see her ALIVE THAT DAY?
OR THE DAY before?? That week?? A mailman? The grocer? Did she have any friends??

Did anyone OUTSIDE the family see her ALIVE THAT DAY?
OR THE DAY before?? That week?? A mailman? The grocer? Did she have any friends??

That is a really good question @Detailz. I think her grandma was the last person to physically see her. I think whoever took her knew her. However, the possibility exist that someone subdued her quickly and quietly as well.

Could this unsolved 1975 Maryland murder be related to Evelyn's disappearance?

Kathy Lynn Beatty, age 15

Kathy Lynn Beatty, age 15, was abducted on the evening of 24 July 1975 from her Aspen Hill, Maryland neighborhood. She was brutally beaten and left to die behind or near the K-Mart Store near the intersection of Connecticut and Georgia Avenues, a distance of only 3 and a half miles from Wheaton Plaza, where the Lyon sisters were last seen.

Kathy never regained consciousness, and died on 5 August 1975 in Suburban Hospital of complications resulting from her injuries.

Her murder has never been solved. A potential suspect for her attacker is Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. who is a convicted child killer and child molester. In 1974 he was kicked out of the Navy for the rape of a 13 year old girl in Virginia, In 1975 he was in Aspen Hill, Maryland working for Vitro Industries very close to the place where Kathy was found near death. He immediately left Maryland and within a few months was cited in Virginia for "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" with a 15 year old girl.

Catawba in York County, SC is very close to Mecklenburg County, NC where Fred Coffey resided at times, and where he was convicted of murdering Amanda Ray, 10. He is suspected also of the murder of Neeley Smith, age 5.

LINK:

That is a really good question @Detailz. I think her grandma was the last person to physically see her. I think whoever took her knew her. However, the possibility exist that someone subdued her quickly and quietly as well.
The thing I'm understanding is it was
June 29, 1977. School was out for the summer. It was a Wednesday.
Wednesday is pivotal to this. In a Southern Baptist family and they attended church at Providence Church. Wednesday is the night for "prayer meeting" . In a Baptist church in that night there's about a 3 hour service. Most churches start at about 7pm and run until 9pm. I'm wondering if she went missing BEFORE WEDNESDAY.

This case reminds me of the Summer Wells case. The ONLY people giving you info are the FAMILY. They didn't even fingerprint the Coca cola bottle nor the glass of ice in the kitchen. Seems like a pretty shoddy investigation. They didn't believe she was abducted so the police thought she "ran away". It wasn't filed as a kidnapping.
Citing the video where the detective speaks on it below

I find it odd.
The temperature that day was a low of 74° and a high of 98°.
If she ALLEGEDLY VANISHED between 11am and 3pm that's the HOTTEST part of the day (around noon).
Things don't add up here.

I just wish they'd fingerprint that Coca cola bottle

Last edited:
We need to solve this case.
So we've got Coffey and Bell as abductors in that area with a history.
What kind of vehicle did each drive at that time?

Fred Coffey drove a number of different vehicles. Some he owned, while he also had access to others. Interestingly, it was dog hairs found in the trunk of one of his cars that tied him conclusively to the murder of Amanda Ray. So, there exists in evidence files in Mecklenburg County, NC photos and descriptions of his last known vehicle.

Coffey resides in the State Penitentiary in Burgaw, NC where he is serving a life sentence. He has come up for parole several times, but has been turned down every time - so far.

Fred%20Howard%20Coffey.jpg

Fred Howard Coffey, Jr.

LINK:

Fred Coffey drove a number of different vehicles. Some he owned, while he also had access to others. Interestingly, it was dog hairs found in the trunk of one of his cars that tied him conclusively to the murder of Amanda Ray. So, there exists in evidence files in Mecklenburg County, NC photos and descriptions of his last known vehicle.

Coffey resides in the State Penitentiary in Burgaw, NC where he is serving a life sentence. He has come up for parole several times, but has been turned down every time - so far.

Fred%20Howard%20Coffey.jpg

Fred Howard Coffey, Jr.

LINK:
We need to list and post the known vehicles for each. It might actually help identify their abductor, possible dump sites familiar to the killer that drove that vehicle. Might help when we're looking into abductions with a vehicle listed that the missing person was last seen getting into.

I completely agree. I have a gut feeling that it was someone she knew, someone she trusted. It could of been someone from her church. However, I'll have to collect more information on the most probable people of the church from that time.

I completely agree. I have a gut feeling that it was someone she knew, someone she trusted. It could of been someone from her church. However, I'll have to collect more information on the most probable people of the church from that time.
Since from what I've read of her being an introvert is that she wouldn't be type of person to leave with someone unless she knew them.
Also the possibility that it was someone who KNEW her father wasn't going to be home due to being called away. Plus, nobody heard her scream, there was no signs of a struggle, nothing knocked over suggesting an abduction.
If you Google map her address at the time of 199 Old Friendship Rd Rock Hill, SC you'll see the house. I've posted the pics below. It's barricades a wood framed home about 1400 sq. ft. With a crawl-space underneath. Did they check the crawl space? John Wayne Gacy buried 26 victims in his crawl space.
Did they search the whole property?? The backyard is many acres. If I were law enforcement I'd use ground penetrating radar over every inch of that house and property to rule out family involvement. Stories don't add up in her situation.
Picture 1 below is the address. The family sold the home. (Which isn't normal in these situations)
Picture 2 is overhead picture of the property. Look at all of that land in the back. I wonder what's out there?I doubt they looked for a Grave. They didn't even fingerprint the Coca-Cola bottle found at the scene.
This is a 15 year old girl, just vanishes, nothing to be seen here. Sounds like NO proper Investigating was done AT ALL.
if that happened today knowing what we know about psychology of killers is that statistical data shows that when a child just disappears it's usually a family member or friend of the family, or someone she knew.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221002-030914_Maps-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20221002-030914_Maps-01.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20221002-032126_Maps-02.jpeg
    Screenshot_20221002-032126_Maps-02.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 1
Does anyone know if ANYONE ELSE saw her mowing that lawn BESIDES her family saying so?
I'm all ears

Last edited:
The discarded coca cola bottle till this day irritates me. According to a podcast I heard last night, the person of interest was spotted by neighbors; Tall white male with a beard. This is new to me because I don't recall this being in the original description of the old newspapers.

Since from what I've read of her being an introvert is that she wouldn't be type of person to leave with someone unless she knew them.
Also the possibility that it was someone who KNEW her father wasn't going to be home due to being called away. Plus, nobody heard her scream, there was no signs of a struggle, nothing knocked over suggesting an abduction.
If you Google map her address at the time of 199 Old Friendship Rd Rock Hill, SC you'll see the house. I've posted the pics below. It's barricades a wood framed home about 1400 sq. ft. With a crawl-space underneath. Did they check the crawl space? John Wayne Gacy buried 26 victims in his crawl space.
Did they search the whole property?? The backyard is many acres. If I were law enforcement I'd use ground penetrating radar over every inch of that house and property to rule out family involvement. Stories don't add up in her situation.
Picture 1 below is the address. The family sold the home. (Which isn't normal in these situations)
Picture 2 is overhead picture of the property. Look at all of that land in the back. I wonder what's out there?I doubt they looked for a Grave. They didn't even fingerprint the Coca-Cola bottle found at the scene.
This is a 15 year old girl, just vanishes, nothing to be seen here. Sounds like NO proper Investigating was done AT ALL.
if that happened today knowing what we know about psychology of killers is that statistical data shows that when a child just disappears it's usually a family member or friend of the family, or someone she knew.

The discarded coca cola bottle till this day irritates me. According to a podcast I heard last night, the person of interest was spotted by neighbors; Tall white male with a beard. This is new to me because I don't recall this being in the original description of the old newspapers.

Eva Gerline DeBruhl​

eva_gerline_debruhl_1.jpg
eva_gerline_debruhl_2.jpg
debruhl_eva_ap.jpg

Eva, circa 1977; Age-progression to age 57 (circa 2019)
  • Missing Since 06/29/1977
  • Missing From Catawba, South Carolina
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/25/1962 (60)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1 - 5'2, 105 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A pink floral-print sweater, light blue floral-print shorts, and no socks or shoes.
  • Associated Vehicle(s)Late model blue and white or green and white Jeep-type vehicle
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes.
  • Eva's middle name may be spelled "Jurlyn" or "Jerline" by some agencies.
  • She wears eyeglasses.

Details of Disappearance​

Eva was last seen at her residence in Catawba, South Carolina on June 29, 1977. She mowed the lawn and then went inside to make some iced tea. She told her father he had been called in to go to work, and he left just after 11:00 a.m. Eva's mother, who worked the night shift, was asleep at the time. She woke up at about noon and her daughter was gone.

Eva has never been heard from again. A pot of iced tea and a glass were later found undisturbed in the house, the television had been turned on, and Eva's rubber flip-flops were on the front lawn. None of her clothes or other belongings were missing, except her eyeglasses.

Eva's grandmother lived near the family's home in 1977. She stated that on the morning Eva went missing, she saw a late model blue and white or green and white Jeep-type vehicle drive up to the DeBruhl residence and stop by the front door. A man got out and stood on the front porch; he appeared to be talking to someone through the screen door. She assumed the man had come to talk to Eva's father about fixing a car, but Eva's father had already left by then.

The man drove away, but returned ten or fifteen minutes later. Eva's grandmother didn't notice whether it stopped a second time. She didn't hear any suspicious noises and did not see her granddaughter get inside the car. The man driving it has never been identified and it is unclear whether he has any connection to Eva's case. He is described as Caucasian and of medium height and build. He wore a light green shirt and dark green pants.

Henry Lee Lucas later confessed to killing Eva. A photo of Lucas is posted with this case summary. He is also considered a possible suspect the disappearances of Elizabeth "Terri" Bishop and Cheryl Scherer, and he confessed to involvement in the unsolved disappearances of Janet Callies and a married couple, John and Faye Whatley. He was convicted of the 1979 murder of an unidentified female in Texas and sentenced to death.

elizabeth_theresa_bishop_5.jpg

Henry Lee Lucas, circa 1979

The state's former governor, George W. Bush, commuted his sentence to life imprisonment prior to Lucas's scheduled 1999 execution. He later died in prison. Lucas claimed to have killed approximately 600 people, but he confessed to many crimes he did not commit and the exact number of his victims is unknown.

Eva is described as shy and deeply religious; she was a member of the Providence Baptist Church and sang in the choir. She graduated from Castle Heights Junior High School prior to her disappearance and was looking forward to attending Rock Hill High School in the fall of 1977. Her family stated she was well-behaved, earned pocket money by babysitting, had no boyfriends and always kept her mother informed of her whereabouts.

Her father is deceased, but her mother and two sisters continue to search for her.

Foul play is suspected in her case.

LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard