CA CA - Barbara Nantais, 15, Torrey Pines State Beach, 13 August 1978

I have a hard time believing it isn't a serial killer. Possibly you didn't read what I previously posted:
Both the Hough and Nantais murders have many conclusive and reported similarities that seem to be either a serial murderer or a copy cat. Outside of these possibilities it is difficult to see how the similarities could accurately be labelled as coincidences. The SDPD has said there is no link between the two BUT I think it is questionable whether this means they can't link the two or that they have CONCLUSIVELY eliminated the possibility of a link. Those are two ENTIRELY different positions. (I have noticed that in this case, if the SDPD says something, you should think very carefully about rather there could be more than one interpretation of that statement. Misleading statements seem at times to be deliberate.) Additionally, if SDPD keeps saying there is a link, it casts a shadow on whether they have actually solved Hough's murder.
Saying there is no link, helps them look better.

Were the murders of California teens the work of a serial killer

That's a good episode it explains a lot. So the two cases are not related. They still don't know who killed Barbara.

Wish I could type more, but this web site is really messing with my computer, regardless of which browser I'm using. And this is a brand new laptop.

They really need to dial back on some of the ads here. The ones that are popping up in the middle of comments are causing too many problems.

I found this murder victim's name mentioned several times in other victims threads, but could not find one for her. Mods: If there is one open, please eliminate this one.

After 37 years with few answers, San Diego Police Department (SDPD) detectives may finally have a break – and a person of interest – in the brutal cold case of a 15-year-old San Diego girl killed and mutilated on a beach.
On Tuesday, SDPD Lt. Manuel Del Toro and other investigators met with loved ones of murder victim Barbara Nantais to give an update on her decades-old cold case.

Possible Lead in 1978 Cold Case Murder
Sounds to me like they know who did this, and are waiting on forensics. Probably some inmate chatter brought this about.
Justice for all concerned.

This is a very interesting case. The Clair Hough Case is officially “solved” but since there has never been a trial an both suspects are dead, it isn’t reall all that settled. To accept that resolution, you must acknowledge that the Natais Case is unrelated to the Hough Case.

Beyond that is the whole question of Contamination. DNA was not used forensically in the US at that and no one had even considered the possibility of amplifying minute quantities of DNA. Standards used in forensic labs were based on existing technology. Besides efforts to avoid contamination, there are allegations that things were just” done differently” back then and that could explain the results of the Hough investigation.

I think that Tatro is the murderer and somehow Brown contaminated the DNA sample. I dont know if there is also a check with evidence in the Nantais case.

Bumping for Barbara in 2019.

https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2...tion-murder-in-torrey-pines-remains-unsolved/
SEPTEMBER 13, 2017

Renewed call for clues in 15-year-old girl’s brutal murder
SEPTEMBER 13, 2017

“SAN DIEGO – The mutilation murder of a 15-year-old girl at Torrey Pines State Beach remains unsolved 39 years later, but the teen’s sister and one-time boyfriend are not giving up on finding her killer.”
—-

torreypinesnantaisbarb.jpg

The haunting Torrey Pines Beach murders
JUNE 7, 2018 / CBS NEWS

—-

Search for killer continues 40 years after 15-year-old girl’s murder
AUGUST 14, 2018

—-

40 Years After Gruesome Teen Death, Suspect Still at Large
AUGUST 14, 2018.

—-

(Article on Claire Hough for reference:

San Diego police solve 1984 killing of teen at Torrey Pines State Beach
OCT 23, 2014

“Both suspects in the strangulation and mutilation of 14-year-old Claire Hough are dead, the police said. Both were linked through DNA.” )

Last edited:
Bumping for Barbara in 2019.

https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2...tion-murder-in-torrey-pines-remains-unsolved/
SEPTEMBER 13, 2017

Renewed call for clues in 15-year-old girl’s brutal murder
SEPTEMBER 13, 2017

“SAN DIEGO – The mutilation murder of a 15-year-old girl at Torrey Pines State Beach remains unsolved 39 years later, but the teen’s sister and one-time boyfriend are not giving up on finding her killer.”
—-

torreypinesnantaisbarb.jpg

JUNE 7, 2018 / CBS NEWS

—-

Search for killer continues 40 years after 15-year-old girl’s murder
AUGUST 14, 2018

—-

40 Years After Gruesome Teen Death, Suspect Still at Large
AUGUST 14, 2018.

—-

(Article on Claire Hough for reference:

San Diego police solve 1984 killing of teen at Torrey Pines State Beach
OCT 23, 2014

“Both suspects in the strangulation and mutilation of 14-year-old Claire Hough are dead, the police said. Both were linked through DNA.” )

Yes, Tatro seems the most likely suspect. Brown, less so.

I will give this horrific case a bump. Not sure what the exact position is with these Torrey Pines Murders in the respect of whether they have actually been solved or not:

Last edited:
Here are a list of cold cases in the San Diego area and this one is included:

On Aug. 13, 1978, Barbara Nantais and her boyfriend, James Alt, were sleeping on the sand at Torrey Pines State Beach when they were attacked by an unknown suspect or suspects. Nantais – only 15 years old at the time – was raped, and beaten and strangled to death. Detectives discovered the teen’s killer had also severed one of her breasts. Nantais’ killer was never found. Alt survived the violent attack, but suffered a severe head wound that left him semi-conscious with no recollection of the assault. A couple of years ago, Alt told NBC 7 the murder still haunts him. Nantais’ case has similarities to the killing of another San Diego teen, 14-year-old Claire Hough, who was murdered on the same stretch of beach as Nantais. Hough’s breast was also disfigured. Evidence in both cases suggest the killings could have been committed by the same perpetrator. In August 2015, Nantais’ loved ones were told detectives had identified a person of interest in the case. However, nearly 40 years later, her murder remains unsolved.

San Diego’s Unsolved Cold Cases

A new episode of The Murder in My Family podcast EP 59 out now about the Torrey Pines Beach murder of Barbara Nantais in which I discuss the attack with Barbara's boyfriend James Alt who barely survived the attack . Episode 59 Barbara Nantais

If you are a sleuth who has been digging into this case, we'd like to have you participate in our live discussion of the case alongside our team of experts. We are going to try and crowd-solve this. We'd love to hear your theories and ideas. Barbara's boyfriend James Alt who survived the attack will join us live.

Where do you tune in to take part, or watch? We meet this Wednesday 9/21 at 9PM Eastern Time

Our Facebook homepage:
https://www.facebook.com/CitizenDetectivePodcast
Our Youtube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSgvqIuf4-sEF2aDdNGip2w
Our Twitch page:
https://www.twitch.tv/citizendetective
On Twitter:
https://twitter.com/CitizenDPod

Leave us a voicemail about the case:
https://www.speakpipe.com/citizendetective

The Podcast ep about Barbara Nantais is out now:

Also a video version:

Such a sad story and so much credit to Jim for all his help these many years trying to solve this crime. He's a great guy. I truly hope he and Barbara's family some day get the answers they deserve. San Diego police force has had problems with other cases, JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back