GUILTY CO - Freight train collided into a police cruiser parked on tracks with a woman trapped inside, PLATTEVILLE, 16 Sept. '22 *charges*

dotr

Reaction score
1664205132510.png
VIDEO.
''Locked inside the cruiser was 20-year-old Yareni Rios-Gonzalez. Police detained her for an alleged road rage incident earlier in the night Sept. 16.

About one minute and nine seconds after Rios-Gonzalez was placed in the back, the train’s horn is heard for the first time in the distance on a newly released bodycam recording.

About seven seconds later, another louder horn but still no reaction from police.''

Over the next eight seconds, even more horns are heard before the two officers realize Rios-Gonzalez is in danger. By then it was too late.

Paul Wilkinson, a personal injury attorney representing the woman, said she is awake and able to have a conversation but remains in the hospital.

“She has a broken arm that she has had surgery on, nine broken ribs, a fractured sternum, broken teeth, injuries to her leg, back and head,” Wilkinson said.

Many questions remain, including why the officer parked the cruiser on the tracks and why it took critical seconds to notice the approaching train.''

View attachment 368929
VIDEO.
''Locked inside the cruiser was 20-year-old Yareni Rios-Gonzalez. Police detained her for an alleged road rage incident earlier in the night Sept. 16.

About one minute and nine seconds after Rios-Gonzalez was placed in the back, the train’s horn is heard for the first time in the distance on a newly released bodycam recording.

About seven seconds later, another louder horn but still no reaction from police.''

Over the next eight seconds, even more horns are heard before the two officers realize Rios-Gonzalez is in danger. By then it was too late.

Paul Wilkinson, a personal injury attorney representing the woman, said she is awake and able to have a conversation but remains in the hospital.

“She has a broken arm that she has had surgery on, nine broken ribs, a fractured sternum, broken teeth, injuries to her leg, back and head,” Wilkinson said.

Many questions remain, including why the officer parked the cruiser on the tracks and why it took critical seconds to notice the approaching train.''
I saw this on the news a couple of days ago. It is difficult to watch especially not knowing she lived. I literally thought I was watch her killed. It is amazing that she lived.

Imagine being handcuffed, locked inside a car as a train blares its horn and is about to slam into the car you can't escape? I'm usually not so glib with situations like these, but boy, that is going to be a substantial lawsuit. IMO
The gross negligence is mind blowing! I'll never understand this one! She will never be the same no matter what damages she is awarded. Only 20 years old facing so much psychological & physical trauma.

Basic duty of care was violated. No excuses!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40%C2%B014'47.5%22N+104%C2%B048'57.2%22W/@40.2460802,-104.8169179,18.17z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x30ca68f9234512f6!7e2!8m2!3d40.246529!4d-104.8158742?hl=en

The crossing sign, called a crossbuck, also has a blue sign, mandated by Federal law, with an emergency railroad number to call in case of a crossing incident or blockage. The RR dispatching center will have a record of whether or not this # was called at that time, before or after the accident.
Train crew is not to blame for this. Train (and highway) are on a curve, IMO the train crew could not have seen that the flashing LE lights were not on the highway but on the crossing itself.
The victim had the good sense to park well away from the tracks, LE did not. LE lost situational awareness in making this arrest, and failed to notice danger to themselves and the subject. The PD would've known that this is an active freight line.
Victim lawsuit coming, guaranteed.
Disclaimers: MOO/INAL/railfan

I'm kind of speechless here. When has any person thought it was safe to park on RR Tracks let alone a law enforcement officer and more than one of them at that? Neither one of them had presence of mind to say "Hey we should probably move this vehicle" especially before putting a restrained person it it. I am so confused that neither one of them had enough sense to see the danger in this. She is incredibly lucky she survived as are those officers because had she not that looks a lot like manslaughter charges. Godspeed to her recovery process.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40%C2%B014'47.5%22N+104%C2%B048'57.2%22W/@40.2460802,-104.8169179,18.17z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x30ca68f9234512f6!7e2!8m2!3d40.246529!4d-104.8158742?hl=en

The crossing sign, called a crossbuck, also has a blue sign, mandated by Federal law, with an emergency railroad number to call in case of a crossing incident or blockage. The RR dispatching center will have a record of whether or not this # was called at that time, before or after the accident.
Train crew is not to blame for this. Train (and highway) are on a curve, IMO the train crew could not have seen that the flashing LE lights were not on the highway but on the crossing itself.
The victim had the good sense to park well away from the tracks, LE did not. LE lost situational awareness in making this arrest, and failed to notice danger to themselves and the subject. The PD would've known that this is an active freight line.

Agree!

NEVER, EVER park on railroad tracks or anywhere near them.

Never cross when lights are flashing, gates down, etc.

Never cross any railroad tracks unless there is enough room for your vehicle on the other side of the tracks.

If your vehicle breaks down or gets stuck on railraod tracks, get out of your vehicle and call 911

My rule of thumb, if there's a rail crossing, I always stop and look both ways before crossing.

I am appalled at LE's negligence in doing this, allowing it to happen by their actions. It's beyond irresponsible.

I wouldn't be surprised by a lawsuit by the detainee, as well as the rail operator. The town could even have a case of endangering the community. (What if the train had derailed?)

I am stunned.

MOO.

The victim is apparently a TSA agent:
Woman in police vehicle hit by train expected to survive

Law enforcement stopped the suspect car near Highway 85 and County Road 36. A Platteville officer parked his cruiser on the tracks during the stop. Shortly after Rios-Gonzalez was placed in the cruiser, the train hit it.

Rios-Gonzalez, who works as a TSA agent, suffered nine broken ribs, a fractured sternum, a broken arm and numerous other injuries to her head, back and legs, her attorney said.

“She’s definitely upset about what happened. She doesn’t understand why she was left in the car. She was yelling to get their attention and could see the train coming,” Wilkinson said.

The poor woman was merely suspected of having been involved in a "road rage incident" earlier that night (which had been reported by an anonymous 911 call), and (as far as I know) still has not been charged with any crime, so there was absolutely ZERO reason that this had to happen because she shouldn't have even been cuffed and put into the police cruiser in the first place! It's quite hard for me to believe that this was truly the result of an oversight on the part of the police.

... and i am "not" anti-police and not "for" ridiculous judgments.... but, i hope this lady is compensated fairly. what price can be put on having nightmares and panic attacks forever?

... and i am "not" anti-police and not "for" ridiculous judgments.... but, i hope this lady is compensated fairly. what price can be put on having nightmares and panic attacks forever?
Not to mention the physical limitations she (and probably her family) will have to contend with for the rest of her life as a result of this travesty of justice!

If a police cruiser came across a civilian vehicle stopped on train tracks with the driver outside the vehicle and a baby buckled up in the back they would be fined to kingdom come and charged criminally. I am gobsmacked over the sheer lunacy and absence of common sense each and every one of these idiots displayed. WTH?!

I smell a lawsuit that will bankrupt the Platteville police force and deservedly so. And why does a town with a population of 2500 have their own police force?

Imagine being handcuffed, locked inside a car as a train blares its horn and is about to slam into the car you can't escape? I'm usually not so glib with situations like these, but boy, that is going to be a substantial lawsuit. IMO
Seeing your life pass before your eyes might not be such a bad thing...the fear and pain tho, I'm not down for.

I'm kind of speechless here. When has any person thought it was safe to park on RR Tracks let alone a law enforcement officer and more than one of them at that? Neither one of them had presence of mind to say "Hey we should probably move this vehicle" especially before putting a restrained person it it. I am so confused that neither one of them had enough sense to see the danger in this. She is incredibly lucky she survived as are those officers because had she not that looks a lot like manslaughter charges. Godspeed to her recovery process.
I'm sorry, more than one officer?!

Agree!

NEVER, EVER park on railroad tracks or anywhere near them.

Never cross when lights are flashing, gates down, etc.

Never cross any railroad tracks unless there is enough room for your vehicle on the other side of the tracks.

If your vehicle breaks down or gets stuck on railraod tracks, get out of your vehicle and call 911

My rule of thumb, if there's a rail crossing, I always stop and look both ways before crossing.
I turn the stereo off as well..rely on hearing when I can't see...even when crossing a road, when I can't see oncoming traffic..Colorado Springs has a LOT of vehicle vs pedestrian incidents.

View attachment 368929
VIDEO.

I am stunned. Who parks their car on train tracks, much less police officers. Fill in the blank:
No one so stupid should be allowed to be a ________ __________.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back