Found Deceased NV - Rock Stanley, 75, TX resident, hiking Mount Charleston, last seen North Loop Trail, 23 August 2022

Might be this man:

Missing Hiker Found After Man Using Computer at Home Pinpoints His Location
"I've got a very weird hobby, which is, I love taking a look at photos and figuring out where they're taken," said Benjamin Kuo who took on LASD's challenge and responded on social media with his coordinates of where Compean could possibly be.
That's really interesting, thanks for sharing.

Red Rock Search and Rescue has been searching since late August for Rock Stanley, a former Marine from Texas was last seen by hikers around the North Loop Trail.

Courtney Stanley told Las Vegas TV station KSNV that her grandfather is an experienced hiker and has visited Mount Charleston once a year for the past three decades to hike the trails.

Stanley normally hikes with a partner but this time opted to hike solo. Other hikers, who noticed him said that he was asking people, “Where are we? Where are you?” They said he seemed confused and noticed his legs were shaking. Stanley recently started a new medication, which Rangers say could have affected him due to the change in elevation.

Stanley and his wife Karen had been staying at The Retreat at Mount Charleston. When Stanley didn’t return from his hike Aug. 23, Karen reported him missing. Stanley sent a text to his son the night of Aug. 23 saying he was lost in the woods and trying to backtrack. Family was able to reach him early in the morning Aug. 24 when he stated he was trying to get some help.

“I haven’t slept well since I found out he was missing. I just can’t believe it,” says Stanley’s first cousin JoAnn Summerall. Summerall told The Monitor Aug. 30, that they had a nice family get-together at the beginning of August. “He sat right next to me and we had a great conversation. I can’t believe this is happening.”

When he texted that he was backtracking it was dark. Then a few hours later in the morning when it was becoming lighter he answered his phone and made the statement he did to his family. Just noting the contrast of the darkness of night to the light around the break of dawn.

LAS VEGAS (KSNV) — Crews conducted the 10th search on Wednesday for 75-year-old hiker Rock Stanley who went missing on Mt. Charleston weeks ago.

The search crews went off trail into difficult terrain to see if they can find him.

Stanley has been missing since August 23rd after he went hiking alone.

Officials with Red Rock Search and Rescue said he texted his son that he was lost in the woods, which prompted his family to contact the police.

Red Rock Search and Rescue and LVMPD are leading the effort to find Stanley.

perhaps he said he was with somene who was helping him because he wanted to save face in front of his son, didn't want to admit he needed help or was weak, didn't want to worry them...

ADMIN NOTE:

Please remember Websleuths is fact-based and relies on MSM or LE statements for factual updates in cases like this tragic one.

Also, social media pages of family members are not allowed to be linked or discussed.

Thank you for understanding and following the Websleuths TOS.

And now we wait…….:(

The Red Rock Search and Rescue ground team discovered his remains around 12:30 p.m. Saturday, 1,200 feet southeast of Lee Peak, just off of the Charleston Loop Trail.

Red Rock Search and Rescue Commander Craig McVeay said Stanley was found using a private helicopter and the crew located him by the yellow jacket he was last seen wearing.

Another crew and helicopter were dispatched from the Las Vegas Metro Police Department to recover Stanley's remains. According to the LVPD, a coroner made a positive identification Monday, Sept. 19.

I just wanted to share this story from his hometown newspaper. RS definitely had the right jacket on - bright yellow. Without it, he could still be out there.

Something to keep in mind when hiking - a safety vest or other neon/reflective garment could save your life or better your chances of recovery.
BBM & MOO

The Red Rock Search and Rescue ground team discovered his remains around 12:30 p.m. Saturday, 1,200 feet southeast of Lee Peak, just off of the Charleston Loop Trail.

Red Rock Search and Rescue Commander Craig McVeay said Stanley was found using a private helicopter and the crew located him by the yellow jacket he was last seen wearing.

Another crew and helicopter were dispatched from the Las Vegas Metro Police Department to recover Stanley's remains. According to the LVPD, a coroner made a positive identification Monday, Sept. 19.

I just wanted to share this story from his hometown newspaper. RS definitely had the right jacket on - bright yellow. Without it, he could still be out there.

Something to keep in mind when hiking - a safety vest or other neon/reflective garment could save your life or better your chances of recovery.
BBM & MOO
Yes.... definitely important to consider wearing bright colors. Unfortunately, many outdoor companies have got away from offering them.

On the subject of bright colors.... some of you might have a backpack cover included with your daypack. You might check it. Very often it is SUPER bright, something to think about if you need to be found in the woods.
Also, you might have an emergency whistle integrated into the sternum strap buckle.

RIP to RS. He will be missed.

Missing since 8-23-22
Let's do a recap from some details shared in the following post on the family's search page:

Aug. 23:
8 am
hiked 8 miles to the North Loop trail head and arrived around 8:00 am

8:30 am
between 1/2-1 mile into the trail headed to Fletchers peak: hikers witnessed Rock getting off trail and helped him get back on track. Hikers stated he did not seem confused but noticed his legs were shaking (the bolded differs from MSM reports that others on trail said he seemed confused)

11:30 am
At approx: 11:30-unconfirmed sighting near Mummy’s nose

9 pm
Rock has not returned. Missing persons report filed.

Aug. 24:
1:30 am

Text from Rock to Brian (son)- “Lost in woods. Trying to backtrack. Tell Karen”

5:20 am
24 hours since his hike began, Rock answers phone call from Brian (son). “He said he's at a cabin with someone that's helping him and then when they wake up, they're going to take him back to the lodge where we're staying.”

#FindRockStanley
This detail, sadly, does not matter now, and I do not have an MSM source, but the distance from The Retreat at Mt. Charleston to the North Loop Trailhead is 4.3 miles. I can only include a map and state IMO, but I am local and my family and I searched for this gentleman in early September.

My generic walking estimate on Apple Maps states it would take him an extra 1 hr, 43 min to just get uphill to the trailhead. I’m baffled as to why he wouldn’t get a ride up to the trailhead (from his wife or talk with the hotel staff?). Walking roundtrip on the road would add 8.6 miles on to an already steep and difficult 16-mile hike.

There may have been no water. The only spring was trickling in early Aug, but dry when I was there in early Sep. I would say he almost certainly suffered from severe dehydration because it’s hard to carry enough water up there to last 24+ hours. As soon as he passed the spring early in the hike (if it was running then), there is no more water.

I also can’t believe he didn’t see more people. Maybe he did and he assured them he was well. This is a very well-traveled trail and he made it up pretty far. I hike this trail monthly during the summer and we always talk to dozens of people, even on weekdays.

RIP, Rock.

Attachments

• 81E60226-E4D6-46AA-A168-6C03D438FFDF.jpeg
    81E60226-E4D6-46AA-A168-6C03D438FFDF.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2
This detail, sadly, does not matter now, and I do not have an MSM source, but the distance from The Retreat at Mt. Charleston to the North Loop Trailhead is 4.3 miles. I can only include a map and state IMO, but I am local and my family and I searched for this gentleman in early September.

My generic walking estimate on Apple Maps states it would take him an extra 1 hr, 43 min to just get uphill to the trailhead. I’m baffled as to why he wouldn’t get a ride up to the trailhead (from his wife or talk with the hotel staff?). Walking roundtrip on the road would add 8.6 miles on to an already steep and difficult 16-mile hike.

There may have been no water. The only spring was trickling in early Aug, but dry when I was there in early Sep. I would say he almost certainly suffered from severe dehydration because it’s hard to carry enough water up there to last 24+ hours. As soon as he passed the spring early in the hike (if it was running then), there is no more water.

I also can’t believe he didn’t see more people. Maybe he did and he assured them he was well. This is a very well-traveled trail and he made it up pretty far. I hike this trail monthly during the summer and we always talk to dozens of people, even on weekdays.

RIP, Rock.
Thanks for the clarification and info from your trail knowledge. Somehow RS pushed himself to make it quite far into the trail system after the extra miles to the trailhead & having some physical (& maybe mental) issues not very far into the North Loop.

Sometimes we overextend ourselves. Sometimes that does not end well.

I was surprised he wasn't found sooner, considering it is a popular hiking area & he apparently wasn't too far off trail.

I've only hiked near Vegas one time. If I ever go back, I will remember Rock. And try to also be wise about staying within my own known limitations.

Happy Trails @Tower!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back