Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #53

Status
Not open for further replies.

[…]

Stauch, currently awaiting a jury trial, filed a lawsuit against the El Paso County jail, the jail's food provider, a pair of El Paso County Sheriff's Office deputies and the jail's medical provider last week claiming she has been mistreated and her rights have been violated, according to court records.

The lawsuit, filed on Sept. 22 in the United States District Court of Colorado, claims that Stauch is having her First Amendment and Eighth Amendment rights violated in county jail, and she is seeking monetary relief and changes to the jail's policy as a result.

Stauch makes two claims against the county jail.

The first Stauch claim is First Amendment religious rights for her and other inmates are being violated as a result of Trinity Food Services not serving kosher meals.

Stauch claims that on several occasions both in county jail and at the county courthouse kosher meals were not provided despite her requests.

"The parties involved expect me to follow my signed religious agreement but can ignore it on their end," Stauch claims in the lawsuit.

The second accusation filed by Stauch is that her Eighth Amendment rights are being violated by poor medical treatment while being detained in the county jail.

[…]

[…]

Stauch, currently awaiting a jury trial, filed a lawsuit against the El Paso County jail, the jail's food provider, a pair of El Paso County Sheriff's Office deputies and the jail's medical provider last week claiming she has been mistreated and her rights have been violated, according to court records.

The lawsuit, filed on Sept. 22 in the United States District Court of Colorado, claims that Stauch is having her First Amendment and Eighth Amendment rights violated in county jail, and she is seeking monetary relief and changes to the jail's policy as a result.

Stauch makes two claims against the county jail.

The first Stauch claim is First Amendment religious rights for her and other inmates are being violated as a result of Trinity Food Services not serving kosher meals.

Stauch claims that on several occasions both in county jail and at the county courthouse kosher meals were not provided despite her requests.

"The parties involved expect me to follow my signed religious agreement but can ignore it on their end," Stauch claims in the lawsuit.

The second accusation filed by Stauch is that her Eighth Amendment rights are being violated by poor medical treatment while being detained in the county jail.

[…]
She is laughable.

What about Gannon’s rights?

I get the impression that our friend Letecia wasn't kosher before she went to jail, unless Burger King is kosher.
Since when was she Jewish? Did I miss that in the beginning?.
(Sorry if this is covered in her letter, I don't have enough time in my bs calender to read it right now)

lol, mine was full too.
I only recall LS and her daughter identifying as Carolina Native Americans. Nonetheless, I believe requiring a Kosher diet while incarcerated was an election later made by LS but not without difficulty. Seems jail officials have also challenged her Kosher status after she was denied participation for several months after it was alleged LS was eating other foods at the same time she was threatening and filing complaints (kites).

I agree it may not. But I expect the reason it's asked is because there's always the chance the answer will cause at least one of the jurors to view the witness in a negative light. I can't say I've ever seen either side ask their own witness that question. It's a question that gets asked on cross-examination.
JMO
Actually, I have heard the question and it's often very effective when the prosecutor asks their own expert if they are being paid for testifying and how much. Totally lets the air out of the defense's cross-examination when the jury already knows the answer--previously asked in a nondescript manner. In my experience, I've also never heard a response to the fee question that was outrageous or not similar to the daily fee cited by other experts at trial.

Again, I think it's a nothing burger.

Specific to LS's defense expert Dorothy Lewis, MD, it's unknown if she commands an above-average fee to speak to dissociative identity disorder (DID)-- given her history with the controversial topic dating back to 1984. But shadowed with skepticism by some psychiatrists, maybe not.

Until 1984, when she recognized her first case of dissociative identity disorder (DID), she questioned the phenomenon’s very existence. It is still regarded with skepticism by some psychiatrists.
Dr. Lewis does have a "claim to fame" but she's in her 80s.
Here's a blurb from a 2007 Yale newsletter.
A fascination with violence

Actually, I have heard the question and it's often very effective when the prosecutor asks their own expert if they are being paid for testifying and how much. Totally lets the air out of the defense's cross-examination when the jury already knows the answer--previously asked in a nondescript manner. In my experience, I've also never heard a response to the fee question that was outrageous or not similar to the daily fee cited by other experts at trial.

Again, I think it's a nothing burger.

Specific to LS's defense expert Dorothy Lewis, MD, it's unknown if she commands an above-average fee to speak to dissociative identity disorder (DID)-- given her history with the controversial topic dating back to 1984. But shadowed with skepticism by some psychiatrists, maybe not.

Until 1984, when she recognized her first case of dissociative identity disorder (DID), she questioned the phenomenon’s very existence. It is still regarded with skepticism by some psychiatrists.

Well, we'll see. I can think of a couple of higher profile cases where there was discussion of an expert's fees by the jury in interviews they gave after the trial was over. It's possible those particular experts might not have appealed to those jurors no matter what. And just because the jurors verbalized concerns related to the fees that doesn't mean that's what really what led them to find the experts not credible. Sometimes we don't know why we have certain reactions (despite what we say!) And of course it's logical that experts would have to be paid.

Its true Dissociative Identity Disorder has been a controversial diagnosis for many reasons. But according to APA, it's now a legitimate diagnosis so it's been listed in the DSM since 1980. Of course, case reports pre-dating that listing exist, some going back centuries. I'm not sure though yhat an expert's fees would be affected by that historical background.

It will be interesting to hear LS's mental health history.
JMO

Back in the day when you pre ordered meals on planes if you had dietary restrictions, it was well known among us frequent flyers to order kosher meals as the food was much better, better prepared and they did not cut corners.

My guess is that this is what Leticia is doing. Taking a religious exemption to acquire better food.

I guess it was a way to solve her peanut butter problem.
I knew this from my days of binging Orange is the New Black. Back when my BS calendar had more room in it. :p

Back in the day when you pre ordered meals on planes if you had dietary restrictions, it was well known among us frequent flyers to order kosher meals as the food was much better, better prepared and they did not cut corners.

My guess is that this is what Leticia is doing. Taking a religious exemption to acquire better food.

I guess it was a way to solve her peanut butter problem.
...of course she's not really newly observant Jewish, lol.

This is just more fodder for the endless specious nuisance lawsuit she wants to inflict upon the county at some point, IMO.

She knows full well that for her purposes, if corners are cut in the sanctity of her meal prep or a corner of the cellophane comes undone it's no never mind.

It seems to me this woman is severely disturbed, but sane in legal sense.

She hated her stepson.

As many stepparents hated their stepchildren before her.

How many similar cases have I followed here?
Daniel P., Arthur LH, Logan M., Star, Sebastian K.
And many other terrible cases.

This phenomenon even has got a name:
*Cinderella Effect*.

MOO
I hate to hit like on your post, but I did, had to say there are so so many wonderful stepmoms and stepdads out there. And a lot of God awful birth parents too. JMO

Well, we'll see. I can think of a couple of higher profile cases where there was discussion of an expert's fees by the jury in interviews they gave after the trial was over. It's possible those particular experts might not have appealed to those jurors no matter what. And just because the jurors verbalized concerns related to the fees that doesn't mean that's what really what led them to find the experts not credible. Sometimes we don't know why we have certain reactions (despite what we say!) And of course it's logical that experts would have to be paid.

Its true Dissociative Identity Disorder has been a controversial diagnosis for many reasons. But according to APA, it's now a legitimate diagnosis so it's been listed in the DSM since 1980. Of course, case reports pre-dating that listing exist, some going back centuries. I'm not sure though yhat an expert's fees would be affected by that historical background.

It will be interesting to hear LS's mental health history.
JMO
^^bbm

Just to be clear, are you saying that you heard juror(s) from a couple of high-profile cases cite the fees charged by the expert witness as a factor that influenced the juror? If correct, I'd like to listen to at least one of those interviews!

In my experience, I think the link below very much accurately summarizes what impacts jurors.

What Factors Influence Jurors when Evaluating the Testimony of Expert Witnesses - HGExperts.com

Last edited:
^^bbm

Just to be clear, are you saying that you heard juror(s) from a couple of high-profile cases cite the fees charged by the expert witness as a factor that influenced the juror? If correct, I'd like to listen to at least one of those interviews!

In my experience, I think the link below very much accurately summarizes what impacts jurors.

What Factors Influence Jurors when Evaluating the Testimony of Expert Witnesses - HGExperts.com
Yes. That is what I am saying. It may not be a common concern but I have heard jurors speak about it after a case.

The above article was interesting. It's unclear where the information came from (and the design of a particular study can influence findings.) Regardless, the article states:

"This means that if the professional is well-attired, has a nice, calm and charming presence and has presented the information in a manner they understand, the members of the jury panel potentially put more faith in the testimony than if these qualities are lacking."

So nice clothes and charm matter. Probably true. But sort of a shame.

Further, the article states (BBM) "Other factors that play an important role may include if the expert is from the same neighborhood or community as the jurors, has previously testified in a similar case, have provided psychological therapy to the client or something similar and have not been paid for previous testimony"

The article continues (BBM) "However, for the testimony to be more effective and considered credible, the jurors often place self-sacrificing characteristics above knowledge and experience per various studies into these matters."

That suggests to me jurors prefer to think the experts don't make money from providing testimony.

There's no real way to know if knowledge of payment for witnesses' services will affect jurors in this case. I hope not. (And we know there's at least one witness from out of town, something the article says jurors may not like. Hope she has good clothes!) But like most cases, experts are required and will have to be paid. Jurors' apparent preference for self-sacrifice can't happen.
JMO

That suggests to me jurors prefer to think the experts don't make money from providing testimony.
^^rsbm

I disagree. In this context, I believe the author is specifically attributing not being paid to the medical witness actively treating or the medical expert who had previously treated the patient (now the defendant), which is generally covered under Rule 702.

^^rsbm

I disagree. In this context, I believe the author is specifically attributing not being paid to the medical witness actively treating or the medical expert who had previously treated the patient (now the defendant), which is generally covered under Rule 702.
That's not the way I read it. (And it does refer to previous paid testimony which could also suggest jurors prefer "trial virgins" rather than "repeat performers.") But ok. Still, the author says the jurors tend to value self-sacrifice above knowledge and experience when evaluating experts. I'm not sure what self-sacrifice could relate to in that context except compensation. And the author (in effect) says that is not a realistic expectation for jurors to have.

I can't seem to link it but the article cited below discusses many factors including fees that may influence jurors perceptions of experts. The studies cited were not all related to civil trials although that's the emphasis in the article.
It was published in 2007 so the works cited are pre-2007. But I doubt things have changed much since then.

Jury Psychology Can Undermine Plaintiffs’ Expert Witnesses

By Neil A. Goldberg, John P. Freedenberg, Joseph L. Mooney and Joseph M. Hanna

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads