Hurricane Ian, Sept 2022

It is coming in bigger, faster and meaner as the hours tick by. Hang on tight SWFL!!

Ian will likely make landfall Wednesday afternoon to evening between Sarasota and Port Charlotte as a Category 3 or Category 4 hurricane. (Hurricanes are designated as Category 4 when winds reach speeds of 130 mph to 156 mph.) Whichever of the two it is, one forecaster warned the storm still be a “large and destructive hurricane” for the state, urging residents to listen to local leaders’ advice.
Hope it gets downgraded. A Category 4 would be several extra degrees of terrible. My thoughts are with all in Ian's path.

We loaded 5 generators today (on our personal rig) that are big enough to power a store (each). They are going to gas stations for tomorrow (Wednesday) to be put into place for when they lose power, they can still operate the stores and pump gas if gas is available. Think HUGE generators. We loaded 5 flat beds (from our company), 5 generator's each today and were not the only company grabbing these and driving overnight with them.
Oh bless you and all the other drivers, for ensuring the rest of us have access to stores and gasoline. That sounds like a hard job in really bad weather. But, I'm sure you all are experienced pros and will get the job done well!! Thank you!

Oh bless you and all the other drivers, for ensuring the rest of us have access to stores and gasoline. That sounds like a hard job in really bad weather. But, I'm sure you all are experienced pros and will get the job done well!! Thank you!
We are rolling as a convoy overnight to get these there. On the normal we deliver steel and heavy equipment, but when emergencies happen we are on call. One key thing we have learned is to stop and take a hour or two and shower, and grab truck supplies so we can sustain ourselves for a few days if we get placed into a holding pattern, During Katrina, we were on a tarmac for 4 days without any assistance of any kind, it was then when we learned to stop and stock a truck for our own needs while supplying the needs of others.

This storm is eerily similar to Hurricane Charley from 2004. I live in Clearwater now but I lived in Tampa then. It was supposed to be a direct hit on Tampa Bay and ended up making landfall in Punta Gorda. Charley also came off of western Cuba and made the turn more toward the east. I am not letting my guard down here in Pinellas County yet though.
I lived in St Petersburg at the time of Hurricane Charley. I was job hunting and totally unaware of a hurricane until one of the places I visited. Then as it began to get dark that same day, a vehicle drove around announcing on a loud speaker that we were to evacuate. I called my brother who lived outside of Orlando closer to the airport, Ventura Country Club, a gated community. He insisted I drive there as no hurricane in that area. I am directionally challenged and of course got hopelessly lost in pitch black darkness with eerieness of a hurricane looming.

Well, Hurricane Charley eventually followed me there. The area my brother and family resided in and surrounding was hit hard. We were without electricity very early on. Had one of those wind up radios so we could hear weather reports.

St Petersburg was not in the path as originally thought. I ended up in 3 of the 4 hurricanes that Florida encountered in 2004, one of which I sheltered with my timneh African grey parrot. I kept telling her very quietly to be quiet as it was a no pets shelter. She actually did not make even a peep, which was very unusual for her. Needless to say, it was a harrowing hurricane season in 2004.

Yes, be careful and I echo never let your guard done.

Oh no and dear @PayrollNerd .....I am very worried about and for you and your daughters. Wow very scary. I would not be able to stay like it appears you are.

I feel like I know you so to speak as you write so much about your home, yard and surrounding areas, i.e. your life in a nutshell. This website is somewhat like Instagram where one seems to *know* people without having met, if you get my drift.

I am glad you reside in a cement home which is of a little comfort. What I also hate about hurricanes and bad storms, is if the electricity is out, it is a lot harder to avoid the wind blowing with the rain pelting at the windows as if wants to come in badly. I usually turn television on as loud as I can to hopefully drown out the sounds in the dark.

I will send many prayers for you and your community and you are in my thoughts.

Checking in after a few hours sleep. Just lots of blowing rain. My lanai is wet but nothing appears to have moved. My Ring cameras out front don’t show anything but steady rain.

At 1:00am, I heard from my youngest in south Sararota. They emptied their Uhaul into the new first floor apartment. What an awful time to move, eh? They then realized they were in the surge area so they immediately left. Her boyfriends family lives west of Bee Ridge Rd in Sarasota. They’re sheltering in place out there where it’s higher.

Nothing since 9:30pm from my oldest in North Port, FL. She’s staying with friends off Toledo Blade Rd and I-75. She was exhausted and may sleep thru some of the initial rain bands.

I’m going back to bed and try to sleep again. Stay safe everyone!

My daughters are together and my youngest left Clearwater and will stay in downtown Tampa with my oldest and not move to shelter in Orlando. They will move their cars though to higher ground in a parking garage in the city. We also have family in the Naples/Marco Island area but they’ve been through it all, Charley, Wilma, Irma so they should be ok.

I'm also in Sarasota county. Winds now picking up. Told the dogs it's last call for outside potty. Got to transition to indoor area. Still have power, but reports are that many don't. They even put up a graphic and said 100% power loss anticipated here. We have a generator, so should be ok.

Payrollnerd I'm south of University Pkwy & Tuttle.

I'm also in Sarasota county. Winds now picking up. Told the dogs it's last call for outside potty. Got to transition to indoor area. Still have power, but reports are that many don't. They even put up a graphic and said 100% power loss anticipated here. We have a generator, so should be ok.

Payrollnerd I'm south of University Pkwy & Tuttle.
Howdy neighbor! I just opened the doors in front and back to peek out as the sun is coming up. Intermittent strong winds blowing rain in every direction. Some whistling wind. Trees are swaying. A piece of my gutter at the bottom came off. I’ll have to go stick it back on then sit a piece of concrete on it. Stay safe!

This will begin happening everywhere. You can call for help, they’ll document your call, prioritize the calls and then the waiting begins. It could be days before they get to you.

Some power grids will be turned completely off to keep them from being overly damaged. Make sure all your portable chargers are plugged in and charged. Pull out all your candles, matches and flashlights.

In Canada we are watching updates on Hurricane Ian and hoping for the best in this frightening situation.

At the very least, we are able to contribute to the American Red Cross and some banks in our area are accepting donations to go towards aid for Florida.

In the meantime, it is good to read about help heading that way.

Stay safe everyone

On Wednesday morning, Hurricane Ian had grown even stronger and was headed for landfall along Florida's west coast after tearing into Cuba, leaving 11 million people without electricity.

As of 9 a.m., Ian had strengthened to an extremely dangerous Category 4 hurricane, just 2 mph shy of Category 5 status. The storm is expected to cause life-threatening storm surge, catastrophic winds and flooding in the Florida peninsula. The center of Ian is forecast to pass west of the Florida Keys within the next few hours, and approach the west coast of Florida within areas under a hurricane warning on Wednesday.

The latest advisory places Ian 60 miles west of Naples, Florida, and 70 miles southwest of Punta Gorda, Florida. Hurricane Ian had maximum sustained winds of 155 mph and was moving north-northeast at 10 mph.

Hurricane Warnings have been issued for: Polk, Lake, Orange, Osceola and Seminole counties

Tropical Storm Warnings have been issued for: Volusia, Flagler, Brevard and Marion Counties.

Tornado Watch issued for Brevard, Orange, Osceola and Seminole Counties until 5 p.m.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back