UK UK - Renee, 36, & Andrew MacRae, 3, Inverness Scotland, 12 Nov 1976 *arrest in 2019, killer died*

Man denies murdering woman and her son almost 45 years ago

Mr MacDowell - who was 35 at the time - faces a separate charge of attempting to defeat the ends of justice.

This includes a claim he disposed of the bodies and personal effects by unknown means.

It is also said he torched a BMW car, got rid of a boot hatch from a Volvo car and dumped a pushchair.

This was allegedly all carried out to conceal the murders in a bid to avoid arrest and prosecution.”

the getting rid of a boot hatch / lid is a knew bit of information to me ?

Man denies murder of Renee MacRae and young son near Inverness in 1976
12678973.jpg

Renee MacRae, 36, and three-year-old Andrew MacRae, who disappeared after leaving their home near Inverness on November 12, 1976

''The 79-year-old, from Penrith, Cumbria, did not appear at the hearing at the High Court in Glasgow in person on Monday for medical reasons.

His lawyer, Murray Macara QC, entered not guilty pleas to all charges on his behalf and lodged special defences of alibi and incrimination.

Mr Macara said that more than 1500 people provided statements in the case and work needs to be done to establish which of these witnesses are still alive.''

Advocate Depute Alex Prentice QC, prosecuting, said it is not known how long a trial would last though he tentatively suggested it could be around 15 days but said this may be “wholly unrealistic".

He said: “This is a case which arises from events in 1976 and the volume of papers and other material is extensive.

“There has been very good co-operation between the Crown and the defence.”

The Crown has suggested that the trial could be held in Inverness and that a jury could be beamed in from elsewhere but the location of the trial has not yet been decided.

Lord Matthews continued the case until a further hearing on July 22.''

Apparently William MacDowell has cardiac failure, liver failure and lymphoma and may not be fit to stand trial. It goes without saying frankly that they should have arrested him decades ago. I really hope Renee and Andrew somehow get justice.

Renee Macrae murder accused may be unfit for trial

A 79-year-old man accused of murdering a mother and her young son in 1976 has been assessed by a doctor to see if he can stand trial.

William MacDowell, is accused of killing Renee MacRae, 36, of Inverness, and three-year-old Andrew before allegedly dumping their bodies.

A hearing at the High Court in Paisley heard Mr MacDowell, who has pleaded not guilty, has three illnesses.

A report on his health is being prepared, the court heard.

Two murder charges allege Mr MacDowell assaulted Mrs MacRae and Andrew "by means unknown" causing both injury resulting in their death.

Prosecutors allege he had previously shown "malice and ill will" towards the mother and son.

Mr MacDowell, of Penrith, Cumbria, faces a separate charge of then attempting to defeat the ends of justice.

Trial is underway:

Giving evidence on the first day of the trial, Mrs J. told the court she had been living with her parents at a farmhouse near the lay-by at Dalmagarry at the time.
Mrs J. was asked by advocate depute Alex Prentice KC: "Did your mother ever make any reference to something that night?"
She replied: "She said she heard a blood-curdling scream that night. She couldn't detect where it came from. She said it was about 7.30pm to 8pm."
Mrs J. also told the court how she had seen a car with no lights sitting in a lay-by and remembered a 4x4-type vehicle travelling south at speed as she drove into Inverness that night between the same times.

Gordon MacRae, 85, told a court it was "incredible" to suggest he could have been involved.
William MacDowell, of Penrith, Cumbria, is on trial accused of murdering Mrs MacRae and Andrew, who was his son.
The 80-year-old denies the charges and his lawyers have lodged special defences of incrimination and alibi.
The defence claims Gordon MacRae committed the offences together with persons unknown.

A woman who was murdered more than 45 years ago was preparing for a new life in the weeks leading up to her disappearance, a court has heard.
Retired hairdresser SF, 80, said Mrs MacRae had told her she was moving to Shetland with Andrew's father, William MacDowell.
Ms F., from Beauly, told the High Court in Inverness Mrs MacRae had appeared to visit her out of the blue about two weeks before she and Andrew disappeared.
Mrs F. said Mrs MacRae was excited about the move from Inverness to Shetland.
She said: "She didn't say when, but it was soon. She looked very well and very happy."

Mrs S. spoke of Mrs MacRae's deep love for Mr MacDowell and that he had told her of booking a chalet at a hotel for a weekend stay ahead of a move to Shetland.
The court heard that Mr MacDowell had insisted Andrew come along because he wanted to get to know the boy well, and he asked Mrs MacRae not tell anyone else.
According to her statement, Mrs S. believed they would all to return on the following Monday, but then heard that Mrs MacRae's BMW car had been found burnt-out on the A9 south of Inverness.
She said she phoned all the hotels in the area she believed the three had been staying, but without success.
Earlier on Friday, the trial heard that Mr MacDowell was seen cleaning out his company car days after the mother and son disappeared.
He had to hand back the car after being sacked by his employer - Mrs MacRae's estranged husband Gordon MacRae.
The trial heard he refused to give up the Volvo until he had finished "scrubbing it out".

Mrs MacDowell was suspected of attempting to pervert or defeat the ends of justice, the court heard.
Det Sgt Black put to her discrepancies in previous statements about the time she said her husband got home on 12 November 1976. Earlier statements had indicated between 20:00 and 20:30.
In her statement - some of which was put to Mrs MacDowell - she told the officer: "I honestly can't remember when Billy got home. It was very definitely before midnight."
She admitted she got angry with the detective who queried the discrepancies in her times.
Mrs MacDowell said to Det Sgt Black: "I don't know what you are getting on to me for. I never stabbed her or whatever happened to her."
Asked by Mr Prentice why she had said that, she responded: "It just came out that way in the spur of the moment. There was nothing meant by it."
Mr Prentice asked her: "Did you know she had been stabbed? "
Mrs MacDowell replied: "No, I did not. It just came out when one gets annoyed."

(Much more at the links, I don't want to break the 10% copyright rule!)

His wife Rosemary, 80, told his trial her husband had mobility problems and a "very sick" liver and kidney.
Mrs MacDowell told the court her husband's heart was "working very hard to keep him alive".
She also told the jury how he had returned home on the night of the alleged murders between 20:00 and 20:30.
Mrs MacDowell said he was wearing a suit, shirt and tie and there was nothing unusual about his appearance.
She said he had not appeared flustered, nervous or uneasy.

She had said he arrived home at between 8pm and 8.30pm on November 12, 1976, the day Mrs MacRae and Andrew disappeared.

However during the statement given in 1987 she indicated he came home when her children had gone to bed, at the conclusion of a western programme which the jury heard ended at 10.15pm.

In her statement – some of which was put to Mrs MacDowell – she told DS Black: "I honestly can't remember when Billy got home. It was very definitely before midnight.

"While I was making the curry, the girls were watching a cowboy film which had two words in the title. It was on every Friday. After it finished, my two girls went up to their beds."

Mr Prentice showed her the TV guide for that night which indicated the series started at 9.25pm and the next programme was at 10.15pm. The image also displayed other programmes including The New Avengers.

Mrs MacDowell told the prosecutor: "It was not that programme – not at that late hour. It was probably The New Avengers. I was confused. They wouldn't have been up at 9.25pm. I was very strict about that."

My comment: alibi not going very well here...

In her statement – some of which was put to Mrs MacDowell – she told DS Black: "I honestly can't remember when Billy got home. It was very definitely before midnight.

"While I was making the curry, the girls were watching a cowboy film which had two words in the title. It was on every Friday. After it finished, my two girls went up to their beds."

Mr Prentice showed her the TV guide for that night which indicated the series started at 9.25pm and the next programme was at 10.15pm. The image also displayed other programmes including The New Avengers.

Mrs MacDowell told the prosecutor: "It was not that programme – not at that late hour. It was probably The New Avengers. I was confused. They wouldn't have been up at 9.25pm. I was very strict about that."

My comment: alibi not going very well here...
Yes, I have to agree with you and can see the programmes on in Scotland that night here - Evening Times - Google News Archive Search.

The New Avengers was on from 8pm to 9pm which is not that much earlier than 9.25pm, which she considered too late for the children. The Western series The Quest was on from 9.25pm to 10.15pm, so she was right that the Western series had two words in the title.

The poi is accused of disposing of the Volvo’s ”boot hatch” what does that exactly mean ? The whole hatchback? Parcel shelf ?
wonder if they kept the Volvo or have access to it ?

edit , ok they mean the boot liner it seems.

Yep, I'd missed that yesterday but seems it was covered a bit then - no idea why it keeps getting called a "hatch" as to me, that's the door/bit you lift to open the boot!

Mr C. initially thought it was a Wednesday before Mrs MacRae and child went missing that MacDowell came in with his vehicle, which had the floor removed.

However after being referred by advocate depute Alex Prentice KC to a previous statement, he accepted it was actually after the disappearance.

He said: "I asked where the floor was and he said he had burnt it.

"He said he was building a house and throwing building materials in the back had ruined it.

And some more today:

The court previously heard that MacDowell went to a local garage wanting an urgent replacement boot hatch which he said had been damaged and he had had burnt.

Garage boss FE told the jury that this occurred after the pair went missing and an invoice for December 8, 1976 was produced.

Mr E. clarified that the replacement was fitted from a forecourt car on the weekend MacDowell requested it and then replaced when the substitute arrived some time later, hence the December date for payment.

(By the way, if my Ross-shire Journal links come up as paywalled, clearing site cookies makes them viewable again, I imagine a private browser window would work too)

DT, who worked at the same building company as Mr MacDowell, wrote to police in 2005.
In the letter, he claimed Mr MacDowell asked him if he could kill someone.
"He asked if I would kill someone else. I said I would not stoop that low - not for a mill (million).
"He wanted me to douse them in acid. I refused point blank. He said it was the wife and bairn. I might be a lot of things but I won't be a killer."
Mr T. later gave a statement to police admitting he was a car thief and housebreaker.

The High Court in Inverness heard that Det Con M. was tasked with compiling a comprehensive proof of life report as part of a recent reinvestigation of the case.
He concluded the mother and son were dead after checks with HMRC, pensions, DVLA, the passport office and banks and finding no evidence of either having been in contact.
Mr M. confirmed to defence counsel M. McA. KC that there were more than 120 reported sightings of Mrs MacRae alive since 12 November 1976 but all were eliminated.
Some included a similar mother and child being seen with a man with a "Mexican moustache".

The man accused of murdering Renee MacRae and their son Andrew 'confessed' to killing her to his handyman – and then retracted it immediately.

The High Court in Inverness was hearing evidence from convicted Lanarkshire safe-cracker MY, now deceased, who said when he asked Bill MacDowell if he had done it: "He replied I did – and I didn't."

A forensic scientist of 32 years experience and an expert in blood splatter, Christopher Gannicliffe, was the final Crown witness.

He said the blood deposit in Mrs MacRae's BMW boot could have been caused by someone receiving a blow to the head and falling partly into the boot.

"That is one explanation." he added.

Asked if it could have come from a bleeding nose, he said the 8ml of blood or one and a half teaspoons would have required 150 drips.

Bolded by me - so we'll be seeing the defence case soon then. Some interesting witnesses, although you can guess the defence will try to discredit them due to their criminal histories (I'd have doubts too, especially the guy who waited nearly 30 years to come forward...).

The man accused of the murders of Renee MacRae and their son decided against giving evidence in his own defence at his High Court trial in Inverness.
His defence counsel Murray McAra KC called two witnesses to speak to being certain they saw Mrs MacRae with a man sporting a handlebar or Mexican moustache.

Advocate depute Alex Prentice objected to the line of questioning, saying: "There is no incrimination of this man lodged."

Mr McAra conceded: "I am not incriminating the man with the handlebar moustache."

A jury has been told the only person who would have benefited from the deaths of a woman and her son 46 years ago was the man on trial.
His lawyers have lodged special defences of incrimination and alibi.
But prosecutor Alex Prentice KC argued there was a classic and compelling circumstantial case against him.
He said Mr MacDowell would have lost his job and lifestyle, and possibly his family, if his secret affair with Mrs MacRae had been revealed before she and Andrew disappeared.

A jury has been told it would be "grotesque" to suggest a man on trial for the murders of his lover and their young son could be a callous killer.
Defence counsel Murray Macara KC described the deaths of Mrs MacRae, 36, and three-year-old Andrew as a mystery with many unanswered questions.
On Wednesday, in his closing speech, Mr Macara said: "The defence does not concede they were murdered or that Bill MacDowell has been implicated.
"It is still a mystery. To provide answers involves indulging in speculation not drawing inferences.
"You have heard a lot of questions from me but my final questions are if he had concern, love and affection for Andrew, his only son, how did he benefit from his death? Why did he murder his own son?"

Jury is likely to go out tomorrow (Thursday), it'll be interesting to see the result. Defence didn't have anything of value, but then they don't need to prove anything; it's down to the prosecution. Removing the boot floor is very suspicious, the alibi is too unreliable to be proved... I'd say chances are it was him, but was it proved? He says it was the husband instead; I didn't see it reported how it was determined not to be the husband, I assume that would certainly have been covered though.

Good! A shame it took so long to get justice, but glad it was reached before he'd died; at least he'll spend the rest of his life in prison for it (whatever the sentence may be, he's unlikely to live longer at his age).

It's taken a long time but at least justice has been done. This case would always pop up periodically in the news in Scotland but honestly thought it would never get to this point. I hope William McDowell will let Renee's remaining family know what happened but sadly I think he will take it to his grave. RIP Renee and Andrew.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back