FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #13 *1 guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, agreed!
We are obsessed with this show called Alone (History channel) where people are dropped in to the wilderness, fending for themselves and the last one standing wins (far too little imo) 500K. What's been so interesting is that once many of them figure out food/ water resources and get their shelter created, what makes them "tap out" of the experience is the isolation. And there are people who voluntarily signed up for and often enjoy that kind of solitary living. Not kidding when I say I have thought of Charlie many times when those issues come up on that show.

We are obsessed with this show called Alone (History channel) where people are dropped in to the wilderness, fending for themselves and the last one standing wins (far too little imo) 500K. What's been so interesting is that once many of them figure out food/ water resources and get their shelter created, what makes them "tap out" of the experience is the isolation. And there are people who voluntarily signed up for and often enjoy that kind of solitary living. Not kidding when I say I have thought of Charlie many times when those issues come up on that show.

I dunno... I'm recalling one of the witnesses during KM's trial, a former business partner sued by CA that talked about how a relationship with CA is one-sided, and CA talking only of himself, a user. always imposing. IMO, individuals with these characteristics are happy in their own company and do OK in jail, forming their own network, and inmate alliances.

At his age, CA didn't really have any meaningful relationships on the outside, ever -- except for the strange bond with his mother, DA. Seriously, he was associating with KM! If/when convicted, I can see CA playing the martyr, the family savior, and his family responding accordingly. Similar to an honor killing. This family is twisted. MOO

I dunno... I'm recalling one of the witnesses during KM's trial, a former business partner sued by CA that talked about how a relationship with CA is one-sided, and CA talking only of himself, a user. always imposing. IMO, individuals with these characteristics are happy in their own company and do OK in jail, forming their own network, and inmate alliances.

At his age, CA didn't really have any meaningful relationships on the outside, ever -- except for the strange bond with his mother, DA. Seriously, he was associating with KM! If/when convicted, I can see CA playing the martyr, the family savior, and his family responding accordingly. Similar to an honor killing. This family is twisted. MOO
The psychology is astoundingly curious and twisted, right? I see your scenario as well. He has plenty of time to talk to himself now, doesn't he? I do see the whole family agreeing that Charlie taking it for the team is the best answer--in fact, I see Wendi having that on her radar since the inception. Which is why, imo, she pre-threw him under the bus with all that "cheaper than hiring a hitman" talk, including day of the murder, likely exactly when the murder was occurring. I think she's the most twisted and cunning of them all. In my opinion of course.

As a Jewish mother and grandmother, “justice, justice, shall you pursue” is what drives my continued interest in this case. Not to mention, it’s my own Tribe. To me, Justice looks like: conviction and life imprisonment for all involved, even peripherally. However, the ultimate justice is when both Dan Markel’s sons have their birth names restored and wipe Adelson forever from their hearts. The victims were Dan, and those 2 children. they were victims of Wendi’s malignant narcissism. WA fueled the entire family’s hatred with her stories where she’s the victim. She’s the center of the tragedy. Justice includes WA charged and convicted. She knew and helped. My opinion.

As a Jewish mother and grandmother, “justice, justice, shall you pursue” is what drives my continued interest in this case. Not to mention, it’s my own Tribe. To me, Justice looks like: conviction and life imprisonment for all involved, even peripherally. However, the ultimate justice is when both Dan Markel’s sons have their birth names restored and wipe Adelson forever from their hearts. The victims were Dan, and those 2 children. they were victims of Wendi’s malignant narcissism. WA fueled the entire family’s hatred with her stories where she’s the victim. She’s the center of the tragedy. Justice includes WA charged and convicted. She knew and helped. My opinion.
I feel like this case has drawn a lot of us justice-loving MOTs.

I think what you are wrote likely reflects Dan's own "retributivist" thoughts on justice. I find it so heartbreaking and poignant that he literally co-authored a book called

Privilege or Punish: Criminal Justice and the Challenge of Family Ties​

I keep wishing someone who was a colleague and knows this material would speak on a podcast or somewhere on how these concepts would specifically translate to this case. I mean it's as close to "what the victim would want" than anyone could ever get.

As a sister of a murder victim, navigating the death penalty and all those consequences for over 30 years, these things weigh on my mind.

I agree with your comment as well.

I think what you are wrote likely reflects Dan's own "retributivist" thoughts on justice. I find it so heartbreaking and poignant that he literally co-authored a book called

Privilege or Punish: Criminal Justice and the Challenge of Family Ties​

I keep wishing someone who was a colleague and knows this material would speak on a podcast or somewhere on how these concepts would specifically translate to this case. I mean it's as close to "what the victim would want" than anyone could ever get.

As a sister of a murder victim, navigating the death penalty and all those consequences for over 30 years, these things weigh on my mind.

I agree with your comment as well.
I am so very sorry for your loss. My only nephew was murdered (unsolved) in 2016. Oddly, there is a bit of comfort in not knowing and as yet being spared the trauma of the justice system.

I am so very sorry for your loss. My only nephew was murdered (unsolved) in 2016. Oddly, there is a bit of comfort in not knowing and as yet being spared the trauma of the justice system.
It's not uncommon that us murder survivors seek comfort anywhere we can, like in "at least we didn't have to deal with _____". Sigh.... Sorry for you and you family's loss as well.

KM's attorneys didn't move to exclude that evidence. Her defense was essentially "We admit that SG killed DM. He did it because CA, DA, and WA asked him to. I had nothing to do with it!"

With respect to CA's defense, I believe they will move to exclude evidence of co-conspirator convictions and would give them at least even odds of winning that motion. But that's just speculation (unlike the probable cause affidavit which lays out a very good case against CA despite Meggs' statements).
I respectfully disagree -- I don't see CA winning a lot of motions, including motions in limine to exclude evidence, in front of this judge -- remember this is the judge that that sentenced KM to the maximum penalty on the lesser charges -- i.e., consecutive 30 years not to run concurrently with the life sentence.

I respectfully disagree -- I don't see CA winning a lot of motions, including motions in limine to exclude evidence, in front of this judge -- remember this is the judge that that sentenced KM to the maximum penalty on the lesser charges -- i.e., consecutive 30 years not to run concurrently with the life sentence.
Judge Wheeler has rightfully been tough in sentencing. But he's also been careful to avoid reversible error. For example, he did not allow the State to present transcripts of the Dolce Vita meet-up to the jury. Similarly, he may not allow evidence that non-testifying co-conspirators were convicted as it could potentially be a problem on appeal and isn't really needed for a conviction.

In the YT, Lacasse made reference to Wendi changing her FB photo just prior to the murder where the photo is not flattering to the children but WA looks like a Victoria's Secret model. This is the purple dress photo, credit DM, of course:

1665560918703.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member