Circumstances

Date of Last Contact September 18, 1973
NamUs Case Created September 29, 2022

Last Known Location Map

Location Washington D.C., District of Columbia
County District of Columbia
Missing From Tribal Land No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land No
Circumstances of Disappearance MP left residence to visit a friend in Washington DC. PR received a letter from MP on 9/18/73 stating he would be returning home on 9/20/73. PR was to meet him at LAX but MP never made it home. MP has not been seen or heard from since. Friend in DC confirmed MP was in DC on 9/16/73 and left to go to NYC and then return home to LA. Info obtained later indicated MP might have gone to NYC to compete in a Mr. World contest for body building.

Physical Description

Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye Color Brown
Right Eye Color Brown
Eye Description--

Distinctive Physical Features

Item
Description
Other distinctive physical characteristic
Body builder

1973 Mr. Olympia - Wikipedia (Arnold Schwarzenegger won Mr. Olympia)

The 1973 Mr. Olympia was held on September 8th, 1973 along with the IFBB Mr. America and Mr. World events.

Although Ed was in great shape for the Mr. World, he was not quite in the same razor-sharp condition that he displayed for the Universe. Steve Burnett was in second place with Paul Rehaus in third.

So Paul did compete. But if the competition was on Sept 8th how did a friend see him on DC Sept 16th? Unless it was after the show.

488482FB-A79C-4F1D-8D54-1ACEB7BCA8FD.jpeg026174C0-53B9-4125-A0FD-26BE8A6814A7.jpeg

“He placed 3rd in a recent Mr World contest”. I’m trying to figure out exactly when the Mr Fire Island competition was.

Last edited:
There were only a handful that I found who might fit. I searched the entire US through 1976.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) 13 miles from DC in Sept 1974. He’s a little tall but a skull was not found so I allowed some room for error.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) most likely not due to the eye color but I think they look a little alike. He was found on 1975. And it’s very close to DC - 30ish miles.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) about 45 miles away in Oct 1973. Could be a little young though.
69B20418-53E5-4B43-91B8-A345C3C578E8.jpeg

There were only a handful that I found who might fit. I searched the entire US through 1976.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) 13 miles from DC in Sept 1974. He’s a little tall but a skull was not found so I allowed some room for error.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) most likely not due to the eye color but I think they look a little alike. He was found on 1975. And it’s very close to DC - 30ish miles.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) about 45 miles away in Oct 1973. Could be a little young though.
View attachment 370003
Great materials on Paul/Pavel.

The third body seems most plausible. The hair length and color are a match, as is the height. While the timeline is a bit compressed with regard to skeletonization, it isn't impossible. The age is also a range (20 - 30 is inclusive of 30).

The other two bodies seem less promising as Paul. If the PMI is right (or even close) for the first, what was Paul doing for months in DC when he was expected back at LAX within days of his last seen date? As to the second body, the same question remains, and is strengthened-- where was Paul for two years?

Great materials on Paul/Pavel.

The third body seems most plausible. The hair length and color are a match, as is the height. While the timeline is a bit compressed with regard to skeletonization, it isn't impossible. The age is also a range (20 - 30 is inclusive of 30).

The other two bodies seem less promising as Paul. If the PMI is right (or even close) for the first, what was Paul doing for months in DC when he was expected back at LAX within days of his last seen date? As to the second body, the same question remains, and is strengthened-- where was Paul for two years?
Thanks for the feedback! None of them stood out to me but I thought worth mentioning. I really wish we knew more about where exactly he was last known to be alive. He’s tied to several places which span the entire country.

View attachment 370244
Paul posted a 'wanted' ad in GAY Magazine's January 18th, 1971 edition, listing his address in Brooklyn, NY.
Via https://www.houstonlgbthistory.org/Houston80s/Assorted Pubs/GAY/Gay-2-42-19710118.pdf
I wonder if he could have met someone this way and met with foul play. I suspected he may be gay after reading about his participation in the Fire Island competition. What you’ve found has all but confirmed that I think. It may or may not help in our search for Does who could be him.

Of course this is just speculation and only MHO.

Pavel is Czech shopping/Slovakian version of Paul. Probably changed it to English version avoid having it mispronounces or something.

I'm really interested in the death date though. September 1980? Where did that information come from?
I thought that Pavel is russian name, Then I found out it's Latin origin.

Unclaimed fund database in CA gives a Santa Monica address for him on Bicknell St. for a savings account from security pacific national bank. (They started operations in 1967 and ceased in 1992).

According to CA AG, date of last contact was on September 8, 1973 - same date as the 1973 Mr. Olympia contest.
Also, maybe he was declared dead in 1980 after missing for 7 years? Just a thought.

1973 Mr. Olympia - Wikipedia (Arnold Schwarzenegger won Mr. Olympia)

The 1973 Mr. Olympia was held on September 8th, 1973 along with the IFBB Mr. America and Mr. World events.

Although Ed was in great shape for the Mr. World, he was not quite in the same razor-sharp condition that he displayed for the Universe. Steve Burnett was in second place with Paul Rehaus in third.

So Paul did compete. But if the competition was on Sept 8th how did a friend see him on DC Sept 16th? Unless it was after the show.

View attachment 369998View attachment 369999

“He placed 3rd in a recent Mr World contest”. I’m trying to figure out exactly when the Mr Fire Island competition was.
Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 9.47.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-07-11 at 9.47.02 PM.png
Another photo of Paul from this link. Has a bit more info on the contest itself.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back