CA CA - Corinne Groenenberg, 14, Modesto, 1 Nov 1973

Was it ever mentioned why Corrine was walking to the highway in the first place? Was this ride planned or random? Also, why was the friend following her...something occured for her to just walk to the highway to catch a ride...she wanted to go somewhere or get away from something. IMO

Was it ever mentioned why Corrine was walking to the highway in the first place? Was this ride planned or random? Also, why was the friend following her...something occured for her to just walk to the highway to catch a ride...she wanted to go somewhere or get away from something. IMO
I wonder that too. The behaviour of that family friend is not very normal... Had she tried to run away before? And why following her instead of preventing her to leave?

Beautiful. Corinne and the picture. She looks so sweet and vulnerable. Youth in optima forma. What happened to you sweetheart?

Note: In the picture it doesn't look like Corinne had blue eyes like stated in the files. I guess parents know what the color of their child's eyes are...could they have been more hazel?

ETA

Last edited:
Beautiful. Corinne and the picture. She looks so sweet and vulnerable. Youth in optima forma. What happened to you sweetheart?

Note: In the picture it doesn't look like Corinne had blue eyes like stated in the files. I guess parents know what the color of their child's eyes are...could they have been more hazel?

ETA
I improved the resolution with Remini; although it is a good app to add details, it's terrible with the colours. I have very dark brown eyes and, when I use this app on a photograph of me, it turns my eyes hazel.
You have to take into account that 1970s photos tend to develop a certain yellow tonality.

I am quite new to trying to ID so this is likely quite off, but is there any possibility that she could be Castleberry Kate (UP86366)? There isn't a lot to work with on the UID but the basic description seems to work, as the Jane Doe had apparently been there for quite some time. Since Corinne was hitchhiking and it isn't clear where she was heading to, I think at least in that sense there is some possibility? The only issue would be the dental plates on the jane doe and I do not see anything relating to Corinne having them. Just a thought.

There is a reason she ..just walked to the highway and jumped in a vehicle.
This friend that was following her, IMO, should have some knowledge on why that occurred and what happened leading up to that.

I saw a user debating the timeline/geography of Corrine's case. Is everyone certain about the date of her disappearance though? Because I think Lebanon County Jane Doe resembles Corrine, but the decedent was found in October 1973.

I also wonder which highway we are talking about. The CA 99? Or was there also a connection with the I5, if they even were there at that time age. To answer my own question:

"This north–south central highway (CA 99) became part of US 99 in 1926, as part of the new United States Numbered Highway System developed by the American Association of State Highway Officials (AASHO), though signs were not posted in California until 1928"

She came from south California before moving to the Modesto area. She could have tried to hitchhike back there, but that is pure speculation. I wonder in what city the family lived before they moved to Modesto (area). It's very confusing the whole geographic history in her missing file....things just don't add up?

Maybe it's somewhere up the thread, but what was her address when she went missing?

There is also SR 132, a two lane highway that runs east-west from Tracy to the Sierra foothills. She may have taken that to get to 99.

The article says they lived in Compton before moving, but later searches show most current as Riverside County (before mother died sometime before 2014.)

I also found out that her aunt (Mary) and uncle (Aubrey J.) from father's site lived in Dresden, Ontario, CA. They are both deceased. This is Mary's obituary.

Robinson: Mary of Dresden @ Thomas L. Deburger Funeral Home - CanadaObits.ca

Aubrey is buried on Dresden Cemetery. I do think Corinne's grandparents from father's site are buried there also (Henry and Johanna)

ON: Dresden Cemetery, CanadaGenWeb's Cemetery Project You have to scroll down.

I couldn't find Doreen's obituary. And still no hit on the name Corinne June Groenenberg. Maybe someone with more experience can find her.

Not very likely but could she have tried to go to Ontario and something happened to her there?

I want to know more about where they lived, where she was born...maybe she wanted to go back there? Did she had sisters/brothers, I don't think so but...or cousins of her age? Just to get a better picture. There is so little information....I think Cory is still alive but even that I couldn't find out. It could be his real name was Cor, Cornelis, Cornelius or the like. Also the "Greenberg thing" is in the way. A lot of times names from out site America are "translated" in more American sounding names. You see that a lot.
Yes, this is her father's older sister's obituary. It seems her father was either born in the Netherlands or Canada. Her mother died before Oct 2014, maiden name was Johnson and Doreen has a younger brother. Father's name is Cornelius H, nickname Cory.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back