NY NY - Brenda Crowley, 16, Staten Island, 1 March 1979

You've given me hope. Wow, you sure have.
Here’s the easiest way I’ve found. ;)

Doe Links:

Brenda Links:

Here’s the easiest way I’ve found. ;)

Doe Links:

Brenda Links:

Thanks for that. I've submitted it to Doe.

Looking at photo comparison's is not a big skill of mine, so take this with a huge dose of "amateur opinion and speculation!" That said, I see the child with a much higher forehead (more forehead real estate), and the child's eye's closer together. Now all of this is hard to tell as post mortem you get all sorts of distortion. Buckskin girl is a perfect example of that. So beautiful and vivacious in her living photo, and unrecognizable in the PM.

I think the DNA search through one of the family DNA sites is a good idea. I also think the key to finding Brenda is tied to her mother's murder. I need to read up on this case more.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I also think the key to finding Brenda is tied to her mother's murder.
It's in the Doe profile. Her killer was found and convicted of manslaughter. While it doesn't say why he killed her, the fact that they were both drinking makes me feel that he made advances and she refused which is why he ended up killing her.

It's in the Doe profile. Her killer was found and convicted of manslaughter. While it doesn't say why he killed her, the fact that they were both drinking makes me feel that he made advances and she refused which is why he ended up killing her.
I think upthread the verified family member disputes that conviction?
Regardless, it isn't inconceivable to believe that Brenda was exposed to the behavior of someone using, and they may have turned their attentions to her. As a matter of fact, I think there is a high likelihood that is exactly what happened. If amateur opinion and speculation is accurate, I would take all those "she is buried...." tips seriously and cover that ground again. If I can find the street her home was on and will do some aerial walk about and see if anything in particular grabs my interest.

ETA: This has her last home address

ETA again: Ugh....her family home was right next to the Newark Bay; very close. : (
I think scanning records of remains from the Bay during that timeframe would be appropriate. Record keeping was poor back then, but who knows. Something might have been preserved.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Last edited:
Does anyone know of her mother's middle name?

The JD had a tattoo of T.H.C. She could be a stoner, but her mother's first and last name is Theresa Crawley. If her middle name starts with H, it could strengthen the case for the UID to be Brenda.

Does anyone know of her mother's middle name?

The JD had a tattoo of T.H.C. She could be a stoner, but her mother's first and last name is Theresa Crawley. If her middle name starts with H, it could strengthen the case for the UID to be Brenda.
That’s what I’ve been trying to find out. There is a THC listed in Ny about her age but I’m trying to determine if it’s her. ETA: No, it’s not her mom. I’m still looking though.

CE7DC6E6-58C5-4DD6-894D-89C3C604A310.jpeg

Last edited:
Helen

Her mother's middle name is Helen

Just got done talking with her sister.
That was the middle name of the woman I thought could be her mom but this particular one died in 1995. Any other information? I really think you’re on to something here!

That was the middle name of the woman I thought could be her mom but this particular one died in 1995. Any other information? I really think you’re on to something here!
We had a good talk. I don't want to talk specifics out of respect for her family. I did invite her sister to this thread.

EDIT: what I will say is that I showed her a side-by-side comparison of the second morgue photo. She noticed that both had the same scar on the nose.

We had a good talk. I don't want to talk specifics out of respect for her family. I did invite her sister to this thread.

EDIT: what I will say is that I showed her a side-by-side comparison of the second morgue photo. She noticed that both had the same scar on the nose.
I hope she decides to join us and that you’ve been able to bring her family some answers. :)

After re-reading the talk I did with her sister, I noticed that she said that they did the DNA submission.

If they don't have Debra's DNA but her sister's, it may be why NAMUS didn't match the DNA when it was submitted.

After re-reading the talk I did with her sister, I noticed that she said that they did the DNA submission.

If they don't have Debra's DNA but her sister's, it may be why NAMUS didn't match the DNA when it was submitted.
My question, if the T.H.C stand for Theresa Helen Crowley then what does the other tattoo mean? What was her fathers name? If she has a family member with the initials R.C.J or any of the possibilities mentioned on her Doe Network this match is as close to being confirmed as it can be without a DNA test or Dental checks.

I just discovered this case. I wonder if there are any updates regarding the submission some you made last year?

Poor Brenda and her siblings- their childhoods sound so sad. And how her case was handled back on 1979 is heartbreaking.

Brenda in NamUs:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back