GUILTY CA - Paul Pelosi, the speaker’s husband, violently attacked after assailant broke into their SF home, Oct 2022 *arrest*

I wish I could see the trail you describe from the middle set of doors but I don't, none of it. Thanks for bringing the picture here, it really helps!

I think this glass (that I have circled in red) probably ended up where it is when the door was opened. imo
There seems to be a little pile of glass that has been pushed to the outer extremities.

a.jpg
(Same link as before)

Last edited:
I think this glass (that I have circled in red) probably ended up where it is when the door was opened. imo

View attachment 376794
(Same link as before)
Oooo when I click on the pic it’s much clearer and imo those doors have several inches (imo the height of the jamb)clearance above the ground/bricks?

Also - I just realized all my doors open inward probably due to snow issues - otherwise we’d be stuck inside for months at a time lol

I live with a physics teacher -- the glass in the available image doesn't make sense.

jmho ymmv lrr
Seems pretty straight forward. Guy breaks window with hammer, busts out more glass to make hole larger, reaches in and unlocks the door and it opens outward, pushing some of the glass around. What doesn't make sense?

Seems pretty straight forward. Guy breaks window with hammer, busts out more glass to make hole larger, reaches in and unlocks the door and it opens outward, pushing some of the glass around. What doesn't make sense?
Tempered glass creates a web of glass nuggets. He would have had to have wailed on that door a couple of times to smash it. Based upon all of the reporting I would not be surprised if he was on some type of drug. He would get the hammer in and then drag glass out with the hammer which is why there is glass outside of the door and inside of the door. Did he enter through the door and then shut it behind him? I guess that is the working theory at this time IDK. I am interested in learning more.
JMO MOO

Yes, that in itself is a security risk. I don't know why builders continue to build doors like that. Anyone know the reasoning?
If the homeowner didn't specify the direction of swing, and if there's no security consultant reviewing the blueprints, the builder is most likely not going to care. Also, if the homeowner does specify outward French doors, and there is no consultant to second-guess the homeowner (consultants cost money), the builder is going to do as told, they do not want to tell off a customer with lots of dough (and possibly an attytood ;)) that can "find someone else who can do what you can't".
That doesn't entirely answer the question of why builders keep building doors like that. The answer to that may be simply: there's a demand for them, so they keep getting built. An industrial inertia may figure into it (it works for our customers, and no one says it's dangerous or not green, so why should we change it?).
MOO

The only people who were at the home during the violent break-in early Friday were Paul Pelosi, 82, and David DePape, the 42-year-old suspect who faces charges that include attempted murder, the San Francisco PD, clarifying remarks made by it's chief Bill Scott in a press conference Friday.
How did the chief get this detail wrong? If the police were not let into the house, how did they gain entry?

If they had to force their way in, did they have weapons drawn?

How did the chief get this detail wrong? If the police were not let into the house, how did they gain entry?

If they had to force their way in, did they have weapons drawn?
There’s some description of the police entering and what happened as they confronted the scene.
Eta- I wasn’t clear on the details (I didnt realize there was conflicting info) and just assumed they entered through the same (forced open) door.

San Francisco police entered the home around 2:27 a.m. local time Friday (5:27 a.m. ET) to find Pelosi struggling over a hammer with DePape, according to the city’s police chief. Officers saw DePape “violently assault” Pelosi with the hammer before they tackled him to the ground and arrested him.

“Officers, while still outside of the doorway threshold, gave commands to both men to drop the hammer. Mr. DePape immediately pulled the hammer away from Mr. Pelosi and violently attacked him with the hammer,” Scott said in a Friday news conference. “The officers immediately entered, tackled the suspect, disarmed him, took the hammer away from him, and took the suspect, Mr. DePape, into custody.”

I’m looking for a press release or something to see how LE addressed that third person in the house issue

Last edited:
NBC News is reporting there was an unnamed 3rd person present in the Pelosi home, who opened the door for the police.

Here’s the press conference -only watched the beginning where he says “someone inside opened the door” no mention of a third person so idk *shrug*

This nbc link is current as of less than an hour ago
The only people who were at the home during the violent break-in early Friday were Paul Pelosi, 82, and David DePape, 42, who faces attempted murder and other charges, police said, clarifying remarks Police Chief Bill Scott made at a news conference Friday.

Yes, that in itself is a security risk. I don't know why builders continue to build doors like that. Anyone know the reaso
If the homeowner didn't specify the direction of swing, and if there's no security consultant reviewing the blueprints, the builder is most likely not going to care. Also, if the homeowner does specify outward French doors, and there is no consultant to second-guess the homeowner (consultants cost money), the builder is going to do as told, they do not want to tell off a customer with lots of dough (and possibly an attytood ;)) that can "find someone else who can do what you can't".
That doesn't entirely answer the question of why builders keep building doors like that. The answer to that may be simply: there's a demand for them, so they keep getting built. An industrial inertia may figure into it (it works for our customers, and no one says it's dangerous or not green, so why should we change it?).
MOO
At our stay last summer in Orlando in a gated resort community (newer and still building) of townhomes; all the exterior doors swung out. I noticed just like I always check every window and the sliders….I like secure entry points!

anyway, I was told it was for their insurance in case of fire or something else with the rentals for being able to get in. I don’t know if that is true, and it sounds funny to me.

The police "clarified" the "someone inside opened the door" comment by the chief. (No one else was there)

This means that either
1. Pelosi opened the door and then returned toward his "captor" instead of bolting behind the cops

2. The suspect opened the door and then returned to his prisoner (possibly while holding a hammer)

The police must be very polite to wait outside on the threshold as this unfolds before them. They know who lives there and what he looks like etc etc..

Will they release the 911 call? Just asking as I don't live in the US and not sure if its normal to release 911 calls? Who makes the decision on whether to release a 911 call?

There is a problem in the United States, when members of the government and their families are no longer safe in their communities. And there just isn't enough money or manpower to provide comprehensive safety for family members of ALL government officials and their families. Where does it stop?

There needs to be a federal law enacted to stop harassment and any sort of intent for bodily harm against government employees and their families. With some sort of mandatory minimum sentence. Something that really make people think twice about it.

And that should include even protesters on their front sidewalk.

Last edited:
The glass on the outside suggests the window was smashed from the inside.
A lot of this story doesnt match up.
There is glass on both sides of the door IMO. And if he initially hit the glass with the hammer from the outside (speculating) and then used to hammer to widen the opening enough so he could reach in and unlock/open the door, he could easily have moved the hammer in both directions pushing glass on both sides. Especially with tempered glass which will be in little cubes rather than long shards. MOO

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I live with a physics teacher -- the glass in the available image doesn't make sense.

jmho ymmv lrr

I don't think we can assume that the glass broke in accordance of the type of glass because we don't know what it was.

When I look at the damage to the door, I see what appears to be small particles of tempered glass outside on the terrace. But not as much as you would think if the windows were, in fact, tempered glass. Although I have seen evidence of tempered glass still clinging to frames after breaking. I also see what appears to be the remains of laminated glass in the door and a broken mullion. That broken mullion suggests the intruder got tired of trying to break the glass with a hammer and decided to kick it out breaking the mullion.

I've watched a couple of videos on YT showing how different glass breaks, from antique glass to laminate glass. Even the antique and annealed glass don't always follow a specific pattern; some blow outward, some inward and some break leaving glass on both sides of the frame. I think a lot of the trajectory is based on force, angle and age of the glass.

The glass on the outside suggests the window was smashed from the inside.
A lot of this story doesnt match up.

With all due respect, that's just not true. Here's a video of a guy smashing a window from what would be the outside of the house, if it were a house. There's plenty of glass falling outside.

What else about this story doesn't match up, if I may ask?

So much we don't know about this case.
How did the police get into the house?
Surely there must be security cameras on the house? Is there video of the perp sneaking around?
Did the perp bring the hammer, or find it in the house? Assuming he did bring it, it's a rather odd choice of weaponry.
How did the perp get to the house? Did he drive? Walk? Uber? With the hammer in his hand?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back