Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - #153 *ARREST - Richard Allen*

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the reasons for why a person would want to opt in to the GED database? Would they have access to additional information beyond what Ancestry and 23 would provide in terms of their DNA results? Just wondering what the motivation would be.
The only benefit to opting in to allowing law enforcement to use your DNA, is that it may help them catch killers.

I think people saw some of these high profile cases being solved (Golden State started the avalanche), and said "this is my way of helping."

I'm assuming his wife knew he volunteered himself as a witness and placed himself very near to the crime scene. This makes me wonder how often he spent his afternoons outdoors or hiking? Otherwise, how did he explain going there, looking similar to the sketch, and sounding like BG. There were a lot of coincidences overlooked if this recent report is factual. Very strange.
I, too, wonder what his habits were regarding his day off (if that day was his day off work), and how usual it might have been (or not) for him to go hiking or walking in that location - either on his day off, or any other time.

The only benefit to opting in to allowing law enforcement to use your DNA, is that it may help them catch killers.

I think people saw some of these high profile cases being solved (Golden State started the avalanche), and said "this is my way of helping."
So reason is mainly altruistic, glad to know people are making these choices.

What would be the reasons for why a person would want to opt in to the GED database? Would they have access to additional information beyond what Ancestry and 23 would provide in terms of their DNA results? Just wondering what the motivation would be.
I added mine so that it would help law enforcement if ever needed.

Playing out a few different scenarios here with the relationship of RA and KK. One that I admittedly haven't given much thought to is - what if they don't know each other and legitimately have no connection? While that might seem far-fetched, hear me out about this:
  • KK acknowledged giving the anthony_shots (a_s) password to at least two people including his father. He also sent it via DropBox and may have posted it elsewhere in several places he claims to not remember.
  • KK told LE in his interview that he talked to young girls online because he was lonely. Several news stories have referenced sources that said he had few friends and was a loner who lived online.
  • We don't know the involvement of RA on the a_s profile or if he was involved in any illicit online activities involving children, however...
  • What if KK blasted out the password on various Dark Web and/or pedo-centric message boards/forums to be big man on campus in his eyes to fellow pedophiles. Meaning, he sends it out with the hope that others see the conversations he's had by catfishing young girls which would increase his 'cred' in that community (and yes my skin crawled typing that). Like him saying look what I can do, etc.
Very much moo, but I suspect KK has a low self-esteem and could have been searching for validation so by creating the a_s profile and getting young girls to send nude pictures of themselves to him then sending the account and password out, he hopes others in that space read what he's done and think higher of him. RA happens to be one of those people who was frequenting wherever KK was posting it, logs in himself, sees the conversation about meeting Libby at the bridge and you know the rest.

While that would make KK uninvolved with the actual murders, it may make him an accessory after the fact or able to be charged with reckless endangerment. Per Indiana code:

RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT/CRIMINAL RECKLESNESS
(a) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally performs an act that creates a substantial risk of bodily injury to another person commits criminal recklessness.

Perhaps this is why Carter and team haven't released the PC statement yet - because they want to make sure everyone else who should be charged associated with this crime is.

Familial DNA from the last thread: They only need one persons DNA. Then they use their investigative skills to build the family tree from there. Of course more people in the system makes it easier, but not necessary.

I, too, wonder what his habits were regarding his day off (if that day was his day off work), and how usual it might have been (or not) for him to go hiking or walking in that location - either on his day off, or any other time.
Good question. If he went hiking on the trails and bridge every Monday, for example, that would weigh toward a crime of opportunity, imo, rather than a planned attack. I hope we get some info about him!

jmo

As I understand it 23&Me and Ancestry (and maybe some others) cannot give out their findings without permission. GED Match is a different place where people can upload their genetic profile and can opt in or opt out of having it be available to LE.
Also, while direct cousins or other close relationships are certainly easier to match and track, forensic genealogists can trace them from more distant relatives:
In this technique, the unidentified DNA is uploaded into a free, public online database called GEDMatch that has more than 1 million DNA profiles from people across the country. The website then produces a list of people who are related to the unidentified DNA, from immediate parents to fourth and fifth cousins.

Genetic genealogists can then use obituaries, birth certificates, public documents and social media to try to build out a family tree and identify possible suspects.
(That article is a couple of years old, but it's the first one I found that explains it fairly well. There are many more articles about it out there)

The interesting thing for me is that RA worked a retail job. It would not have been out of the ordinary for him to have a weekday off. In fact, he could have worked the whole weekend prior and had the day of and day after the murders off. And if his spouse worked a regular M-F 9-5, she wouldn’t have missed him either. The police request to look for someone who called in sick or missed an appointment likely wouldn’t have rang any alarm bells for RA’s co-workers or family.

The regular services also do fun things with the GED, such as telling you how many degrees of separation you have between yourself and King Henry the 8th. And then there are groups who claim they descend from Pocahontas etc and for many it’s just family lore but some want to try to prove it by being a part of a bigger pool than just one service.

Exactly what I did when I did the Ancestry spit tube test.
Then learned, I have a half brother 8 months older than me.
Those DNA sites have been a game changer for LE, and for families too.

jmo

I'm assuming his wife knew he volunteered himself as a witness and placed himself very near to the crime scene. This makes me wonder how often he spent his afternoons outdoors or hiking? Otherwise, how did he explain going there, looking similar to the sketch, and sounding like BG. There were a lot of coincidences overlooked if this recent report is factual. Very strange.
Where is this information about RA volunteering himself as a witness coming from? TIA

@Gardensista post 186 last thread. I wonder if he is the one who gave info for the first sketch. The one where the guy looks young? Based on that sketch he wasn't afraid to live in Delpi afterwards? The second sketch looks older so maybe that was an eyewitness account or it was based of the video clip Libby took?

Familial DNA from the last thread: They only need one persons DNA. Then they use their investigative skills to build the family tree from there. Of course more people in the system makes it easier, but not necessary.
Exactly. You’re probably already in there through some relative that thought it might be fun. Good for crime solving, pretty amazing stuff. If I was a young adult right now, this would be the field I would want to go into. But it has scary implications.

The regular services also do fun things with the GED, such as telling you how many degrees of separation you have between yourself and King Henry the 8th. And then there are groups who claim they descend from Pocahontas etc and for many it’s just family lore but some want to try to prove it by being a part of a bigger pool than just one service.
I don't think that GED Match does that type of things, but the main value is that if you've tested with one company (23&Me, Ancestry, etc.) you can upload your profile to GED Match and the matches of people from all of the testing companies who also upload theirs on GED Match are available to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288