Family accused of turning their golden retriever into a rug

TootsieFootsie

Reaction score

A family whose beloved pet dog died made the unusual decision to turn its fur into a keepsake, sparking debate from viewers about whether it was going a little too far.

Chimera Taxidermy, based in Melbourne, shared a video of the golden retriever's pelt on social media saying it was going to be kept as a memento by his family.

The business owner, 29-year-old Maddy, explained the pelt was 'tanned and turned to leather so the fur won't fall out' and should remain in good condition for many years.

Last edited:
I lost a particularly special cat a few years ago. This pet's death was also the first personal grief my young son ever experienced. When we recieved my cat's ashes back from the vet, we were horrified to find a small piece of leg fur enclosed with the card and pawprint keepsake. We were not expecting to "see" him again.

I lost a particularly special cat a few years ago. This pet's death was also the first personal grief my young son ever experienced. When we recieved my cat's ashes back from the vet, we were horrified to find a small piece of leg fur enclosed with the card and pawprint keepsake. We were not expecting to "see" him again.
Now that I think definitely crosses a line. The unexpected is really not okay.

Reactions: nao
People kill innocent animals all day long and take them to taxidermists to be tanned and made into rugs or stuffed for ‘conversation’ pieces. No one says anything. Yet when a family’s beloved pet with whom they spent years sharing kindness and love passes away strangers are ’in turmoil’ about it. Give me a break. If this is how they want to celebrate the life of their pet it’s their prerogative. When someone kills a polar bear and turns it into a rug where is the outrage?

People kill innocent animals all day long and take them to taxidermists to be tanned and made into rugs or stuffed for ‘conversation’ pieces. No one says anything. Yet when a family’s beloved pet with whom they spent years sharing kindness and love passes away strangers are ’in turmoil’ about it. Give me a break. If this is how they want to celebrate the life of their pet it’s their prerogative. When someone kills a polar bear and turns it into a rug where is the outrage?
Touché

That is better than the neighbors I had, "Dog of the Month Club". They were always getting a new puppy. Usually whatever dog was popular, dalmatian, chihuahua, husky, whatever...then, they never trained it, so they would go on vacation or something, and give the dog away, sell it, turn it into the shelter.

They always had a new dog..

Our kids asked, "Why can't we have a new dog? We just have our stupid dog...". Yes, we have our same old stupid dog, for over 15 years. And another one after that, for 12 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back