ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she has access to her sister's phone account / bill...you can review a list of the calls made anytime...it will list the number called and the time. I'm guessing she may have gotten login information from the parents, or maybe they're on a family plan and have access. She doesn't know the context of the calls, which the account wouldn't reveal.

Overall, I think it's important information to show KG wasn't asleep at this time...2:44am is just 15 minutes prior to LE's stated 3am - 4am attack window.

Also in the interview, there is a picture of KG in what appears to be her bedroom that is clearly on the 3rd floor...you can see the balcony through the slider / window and the larger closet without doors that has been reflected in the home pictures from the realtor listing.
I wonder if the police didn't inform her of the calls, asking if she knew who J was. If she had gotten the info from KG's phone records, she would see the number called, not a name. There are ways she could get the name associated iwth the number, but that would give her a full name of that account holder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve read all three threads and no one mentioned something that could be very useful and possibly crucial to the case. The deal that sealed the case In the Samantha Josephson case was that they were able to fully convince the jury and convict the murderer by on one tool and that was by the pinging of the towers and finding cell phones within the vicinity. They were able to pinpoint approximate locations of where he was during entire case. Of law enforcement is able to do that and the suspect(s) had a phone on them, the case is practically solved
Can't do a blanket check -- unconstitutional. They can only check an identified suspect with warrent.

As each day goes by I hope that when I wake up there will be answers. But I’m starting to feel like with so much time gone by, so many students leaving out of fear. There’s just such a big gap in time. Wondering if perp was a student, they left as well making it easier for them to clean up/formulate a story. I hope that they have someone in mind and are just trying to make it seem like they don’t for case integrity.

I am so sorry about the horrific tragedy that has occurred near the University of Idaho Campus and my thoughts and prayers are with Ethan, Madison, Xana and Kaylee, their loved ones and friends, all the students at the University and everyone who lives in the community. I can’t imagine how frightened everyone who studies and works at the University and everyone who lives near the crime scene and campus must be.

Hopefully law enforcement will be able to arrest whoever the perpetrator(s) is ASAP and the will not be able to harm anyone else. It has been heartbreaking reading about Ethan, Madison, Xana and Kaylee who had their whole lives and bright futures ahead of them. Thank you to all of you for the news updates they are much appreciated.

If she has access to her sister's phone account / bill...you can review a list of the calls made anytime...it will list the number called and the time. I'm guessing she may have gotten login information from the parents, or maybe they're on a family plan and have access. She doesn't know the context of the calls, which the account wouldn't reveal.

Overall, I think it's important information to show KG wasn't asleep at this time...2:44am is just 15 minutes prior to LE's stated 3am - 4am attack window.

Also in the interview, there is a picture of KG in what appears to be her bedroom that is clearly on the 3rd floor...you can see the balcony through the slider / window and the larger closet without doors that has been reflected in the home pictures from the realtor listing.
Good post, I watched this interview and I don’t think just going by the photo (or video if you mean the one with Kaylee and Murphy?) that we can assume it is her bedroom, very well could be, but she also could have just been taking photo’s in there while hanging with her other housemate’s? JMO.

As each day goes by I hope that when I wake up there will be answers. But I’m starting to feel like with so much time gone by, so many students leaving out of fear. There’s just such a big gap in time...
I agree. The longer we go without even a person of interest, the more I lose hope. According to the FBI, about 50% of murders in the US go unsolved. That's not good stats in this day and age with all the electronics available for surveillance, DNA availability, etc.

I wonder if the police didn't inform her of the calls, asking if she knew who J was. If she had gotten the info from KG's phone records, she would see the number called, not a name. There are ways she could get the name associated iwth the number, but that would give her a full name of that account holder.
Maybe she knew him and his number too?

Last edited by a moderator:
The coroner said they were killed in their beds:

This shocks me quite a bit, because it would mean that Ethan/Xana were not just victims of happenstance but were specifically killed as well. I really do wonder, what with the media/LE miscommunication so far. If someone killed all four in bed though, my profile must necessarily change a lot.

I'll say this much, if I had children of UoI, I'd have them gone ASAP in this current climate with this current info.
I have trouble wrapping my head around Xena and Ethan sharing a bed together and them not being able to subdue the killer even if they were sleeping. One person can't stab 2 people at the same time. I still think Ethan heard a noise and went to investigate even if it doesn't jive with what the coroner said.

first impression of this crime was that it was messy, bloody- emotional. If there is no killer DNA, finger prints, foot prints, etc., that suggests more planning. We do not know what the investigators have found- maybe there is so much victim DNA, it is hard to find anything else, IMO.

If what the coroner says is true that they were all found in their beds, it’s throwing me for a loop. I previously thought one or two were the intended targets and the other were killed because they were still awake or had woken up during the attack. But it sounds like maybe all were sleeping when it happened, which would mean all 4 were targeted for death. I’m sure there could be, but I’m having a hard time imagining a scenario where all 4 of them were the intended targets. It seems possible that they were all killed indiscriminately, which could point to someone unknown to all of them, someone who wanted to kill just to kill.

IMO

Edit: I understand statistics don’t point toward this type of scenario, but there’s always that small percentage that defy norms.

If only one of the victims was targeted, I would think that the suspect would get out of the house fast after the killing. The suspect could have happened upon Ethan unexpectedly, but then why kill Xana? And I agree that it is hard to imagine a scenario where all four of the victims were the intended targets, unless the motivation was possibly against the sorority/fraternity system, i.e. Greek life. Some deranged person who had animosity toward the sorority/fraternity system for some personal reason and maybe had been to parties at this house and chose this house to act out his hostility. The murders took place against sorority and fraternity members, and the house appears to have been located in a Greek row off campus housing area from what I have read. JMO, as I look for a common thread.

I think the two surviving roommates may have had their bedroom doors locked and/or the suspect got out through the second floor patio doors when he was satisfied with the damage that he had done. Possibly he had left his message and wasn't taking any more chances.

Makes me sad to type this as I support Greek life on our campuses, and hate to think that they would be targeted for any reason.

As each day goes by I hope that when I wake up there will be answers. But I’m starting to feel like with so much time gone by, so many students leaving out of fear. There’s just such a big gap in time. Wondering if perp was a student, they left as well making it easier for them to clean up/formulate a story. I hope that they have someone in mind and are just trying to make it seem like they don’t for case integrity.
Here are my thoughts

IMO the best hope is the FBI, who appear to not be doing press calls. If there is an arrest in the next couple of weeks, we probably will hear little info ahead. If they have a suspect, they are gathering evidence and need little public help as the timeline is pretty well established.

= I assume there is high probability the perp knew the victims. Which will be his(assumed) downfall.

- probably not a serial killer. A bloody knife attack would have made the news, and I don't think a first time serial killer would attempt a houseful of victims.

- I am guessing military training. I don't think most people (including hunters) would be able to understand how to kill people and not disturb the others. It would take a while to bleed from cuts, I assume this was a stab to the heart which would take knowledge and/or strength.

- I see comments that he may have tortured each victim. I don't see that, as it would have awakened the others. I would assume that someone that wants to tourture victims would start with one, and kidnap them. I can't see the perp killing a houseful of people and spending much time.

- There were discussions of weather Xana had defensive wounds or not. I would imaging that since she was with her boyfriend they were in the same bed. I would think the killer would have starting with the male (he appears to be athletic and not tiny). I don't see a way that two people in the same room could have been killed without some struggle from the second.

- IMO there could be the possibility of transient person. My initial thought is that there would be a robbery if this was the case. There was a case in Ames Iowa (Celia Barquín Arozamena), of a transient coming out of an encampment in the woods next to a golf course in broad daylight just to murder a college golf star. He had told others for days that he had the desire to kill someone.

And since we’ve broached the subject of contemplating what type of killing this was; i.e. Personal, Random, a mix of both, organized, disorganized, high IQ, low IQ, etc… Right now, with the evidence we have, I posit the theory he is (I will use the pronoun “he” because statistically speaking and by the sheer force and stamina it would take, “he” is most likely the correct description) a Thrill Killer, which is a serial killer subtype: Psychology research states they literally kill for the stalking, hunting, and the sheer act of it and are the least common type because there’s usually no rhyme or reason for their abhorrent and inhumane actions. They’re also (depending on how disorganized they are) more difficult to catch because of the randomness of their behavior.

Thrill killers are different from mass murderers (who aren’t considered a subtype), traditional serial killers, and “mission oriented” serial killers.

This WAS, however, a mass killing. Three or more victims.

IMO we don't know enough yet to know if this massacre can be attributed to a serial killer, because that would mean the killer has murdered before in a similar fashion, or if this is his first and he intends to commit more of the same.

He may indeed be a Thrill Killer if he derived enjoyment and satisfaction from his acts and he was impersonal about the victims. IMO though I think he purposed to kill these particular people, or at least one of them specifically and the rest were collateral.

As to Xana's father belief that his daughter fought back, I don't know if that's true or not, but if it helps him in his grief then IMO let him find comfort in that.

Jmo

I do not believe “Greek Life” or jealousy was a motive in this case because it seems as though the killer did not know the layout of the house and at least search and kill the other Greek members.

IMO, the way these murders were carried out, I truly believe the killer would have kept killing if he knew there were two more lives to take.

It reminds me more of a Rollings or Bundy Thrill-Spree killing more so than a specific target like Kaylee. And if Kaylee was the intended target, why risk having to deal with 3 other people when you only want to kill one? Also, like I stated above, if it were more personal and targeted, it would make sense the killer would have at least known about the other roommates and the house layout.

It seems to me that it was more of almost frenzied murder spree, or thrill-type murders. And I would think differently if the perp at least made an effort to seek out the other roommates.

That’s just my initial impression given the convoluted information we have to work with and conjecture regarding criminology on my part.
Jealousy was the motive in the stabbing deaths committed by Eric Copple, in Napa on Halloween night 2004. He was jealous of his fiance's friendship with another woman, and broke into the house and stabbed to death the friend and another woman he probably didn't know. Wrong place, wrong time. Interestingly, he knew the layout of the home, knew there was a 3rd roommate, but didn't attempt to enter her room on the first floor.

I have trouble wrapping my head around Xena and Ethan sharing a bed together and them not being able to subdue the killer even if they were sleeping. One person can't stab 2 people at the same time. I still think Ethan heard a noise and went to investigate even if it doesn't jive with what the coroner said.
E was not a small guy but I bet he was low key and was surprized in the dark by some one with the edged weapon. IMO. Curious if any lights were on in the house when LE arrived. I picture all this going on in darkness which is chaotic. IMO. I do keep thinking of the DC sniper BTW- trained to do one thing well. :(

I don't think on-line phone records are "LIVE" - I think you can see all the numbers called but only after a bill is crated. But what do I know.. I believe what she says now that she somehow knows she called multiple times during a short like 14 minute period.

Something terrible was up.

You don't call someone repeatedly unless there is an emergency or other conflict going on.

The sensational DM has a new article - Pictured: Bereft boyfriend of murdered Idaho student

They are calling it 'personal' because
The coroner did not elaborate on why she thought the killings were 'personal', but she said the wounds were multiple and 'extensive'.

Well IMO, thrill-killer(s) would also hit multiple times. Also, coroner cannot confirm whether same knife(weapon) or different ones (may be with multiple preps) were involved.

I think coroner was slipping with it being 'personal' from what she had already gathered/heard from others in the investigation (as LE first suggested it as 'isolated and targeted').

IMO.. the prep(/s) was either torturing with multiple stabs or making sure they don't fight back stabbing quickly in a rage. This could also mean that prep(s) were not really experienced but knew they had the control if they take the fast initiative OR the prep(s) were just analyzing how much stabs it takes a person to make them quiet.

I wonder when MSM reported that neighbors thought they were having a party - was it prior to this or during this crime? If it was during, were the prep(s) masquerading the screams with laughter to confuse the neighbors?

The police don't seem to know whether or not this threat is connected yet that occurred a few weeks ago at another campus:

Moscow Police are investigating an incident Monday night after a man allegedly threatened a group of people with a knife on the University of Idaho campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23