Found Deceased TN - Evelyn Boswell, 15 months, Sullivan County, 26 DEC 2019 *MOM ARRESTED* #9

State of Tennessee vs Megan Boswell
82CC1-2020-CR-72869
Megan Boswell, Defendant
Filing Date: Mar 09 2020 Balance Due: $150.00 Make a Payment
Case Judge: James F Goodwin Last Pay Date:
Status Date: Mar 09 2020
Case References: Reference Number: S72869

Hearing For Role Hearing Type Hearing Date/Time Judge Hearing Result
Megan Boswell Defendant Jury Trial 02/06/2023 8:30 AM James F Goodwin

Megan Boswell Defendant Motion/Petition 12/16/2022 1:30 PM James F Goodwin

Megan Boswell Defendant Announcement Hearing 12/14/2022 9:00 AM James F Goodwin

link: Sullivan County - Criminal Case Detail

looks like they have not yet deleted the trial date.

No surprise to me-- Sproles has previously advised the court of conflict with his young client and seemed to go above and beyond to make it work.

By asking the court for permission to withdraw (while offering to assist new counsel to catch up on the case details for free), I think the Court accepted his word. Granting permission to withdraw at this stage is rare, and seems to me that the Court must agree with Sproles that it's in the best interest of justice for both the client and the People. MOO
I was unaware they were having previous issues. I agree it's best to replace him now, don't want anything for an appeal issue to come up in the future.

I thought from early on MB was a dangerous, manipulative person. I cannot imagine being an attorney trying to defend her in such a gruesome, malicious case. Poor little Evelyn. :(

MOO

I was unaware they were having previous issues. I agree it's best to replace him now, don't want anything for an appeal issue to come up in the future.

I thought from early on MB was a dangerous, manipulative person. I cannot imagine being an attorney trying to defend her in such a gruesome, malicious case. Poor little Evelyn. :(

MOO

maybe that's the cause of the difficulties between the two, you know, how she's behaved and what shes done.

NOV 21, 2022
On Monday, Nov. 21, Evelyn Boswell would have turned 4 years old. The Blountville girl was the center of an AMBER Alert that came to a devastating end weeks later when her remains were found on a family member’s property.

Evelyn was born on Nov. 21, 2018. She was just 15 months old when she was reported missing in February of 2020.

[...]

Last month, Boswell’s attorney filed a motion to withdraw from the case and she was appointed new counsel. She’s set to appear in court for a status hearing on Dec. 13, but that along with the scheduled February 2023 trial will likely be stalled due to the change in attorneys.

[...]

NOV 21, 2022
On Monday, Nov. 21, Evelyn Boswell would have turned 4 years old. The Blountville girl was the center of an AMBER Alert that came to a devastating end weeks later when her remains were found on a family member’s property.

Evelyn was born on Nov. 21, 2018. She was just 15 months old when she was reported missing in February of 2020.

[...]

Last month, Boswell’s attorney filed a motion to withdraw from the case and she was appointed new counsel. She’s set to appear in court for a status hearing on Dec. 13, but that along with the scheduled February 2023 trial will likely be stalled due to the change in attorneys.

[...]

Thanks for the update Pommy. So sad that little Evelyn hasn't gotten the justice she deserves. MB can put off the inevitable all she wants, but the day will come, and I pray justice will be served harshly.

Happy 4th Birthday In Heaven Sweet Little Evelyn!!

Good to know you're still on here Pommy Mommy. :D

NOV 21, 2022

[...]

[...]
The article is INCORRECT on her next court date:
from court site:

Megan Boswell Defendant Jury Trial 02/06/2023 8:30 AM James F Goodwin Other

The article is INCORRECT on her next court date:
from court site:

Megan Boswell Defendant Jury Trial 02/06/2023 8:30 AM James F Goodwin Other

Oops, good catch Niner! Thanks. MOO

DEC 6, 2022
newschannel9.com

Defense files motion to allow Megan Boswell to wear civilian dress clothes during hearings

[...]

The request was made "because of the extraordinary publicity and media attention her case is receiving," according to the motion.

"If she is not allowed to wear civilian clothes, thousands of people - some of whom may be potential jurors - will continue to see her dressed in her jail jumpsuit and the danger of unfair negative inferences being made will be ever-present," the motion also stated.

[...]

Megan Boswell is due back in court later this month.

DEC 6, 2022
newschannel9.com

Defense files motion to allow Megan Boswell to wear civilian dress clothes during hearings

[...]

The request was made "because of the extraordinary publicity and media attention her case is receiving," according to the motion.

"If she is not allowed to wear civilian clothes, thousands of people - some of whom may be potential jurors - will continue to see her dressed in her jail jumpsuit and the danger of unfair negative inferences being made will be ever-present," the motion also stated.

[...]

Yes Megan, we, the public, are judging you.
And it’s not because of your clothing.

DEC 6, 2022
newschannel9.com

[...]

[...]

The tell-tale signs a defendant has a new attorney....

DEC 6, 2022
newschannel9.com

[...]

[...]

Put her in a Tutu. I could care less! You can't dress this up! IMO

Wednesday, December 14th:
*Announcement Hearing (@ 9am ET) - TN – Evelyn Mae Boswell (15 mos. DOB 11/21/18) (last seen Dec. 10 or 11, 2019 by babysitter, Blountville, Sullivan County, reported missing Feb. 18, 2020 by State of Tenn. Dept. Child Services; Evelyn’s remains were found on Mar. 6, 2020 at a family member’s property at the 500 block of Muddy Creek Road in Sullivan County; officially id’d Mar. 11, 2020). *Megan “Maggie” Boswell (18/now 21) aka Maggie Wood aka Megan Nicole Kys “mother” arrested & originally charged (2/25/20) with 1 count of false reporting. Bond set at $25K. Bond increased (3/9/20) to $150K. [see below for re-charges].
Indicted (5/18/20) & originally charged (5/28/20) with 11 counts of false reporting. Plead not guilty. Bond stays set at $150K. [see below re re-charges].
Re-Charged & indicted (8/19/20) & arraigned (8/28/20) with 2 counts of 1st degree felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated child abuse & neglect, 1 count of tampering with evidence, 12 counts of false reporting, 1 count of abuse of a corpse & 1 count of failure to report a death suspicious, unusual, or unnatural circumstances. Plead not guilty. $1M bond. Bond reduction denied (12/3/21).
Trial set to begin on 2/6/23. Maybe! New attorney appointed on 10/21/22. (expected to last 3 to 4 weeks).
Court info from 2/20/20 thru 9/23/22 reference post #575 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...nty-26-dec-2019-mom-arrested-9.524628/page-29

10/19/22 Update: Brad Sproles, Boswell’s public-appointed defense attorney, filed the motion on Wednesday to withdraw as Boswell's counsel claiming th at “the attorney client relationship has deteriorated to the point that counsel is unable to effectively & zealously represent the Defendant in this matter,” according to court records. Boswell's new lawyer bid: Public defender explains when switch would be appropriate “Despite the efforts of counsel & the Defendant to rehabilitate the same, the attorney client relationship is not salvageable,” Sproles said in his motion. “Therefore, counsel respectfully requests that he be relieved from further representation of the Defendant & that the Court appoint her suitable counsel to continue in her defense.” Sproles is also requesting to stay on the case temporarily in a pro bono status in order to help Boswell’s new attorney with the transfer & organization of case materials. Motion hearing set on 10/21/22.
10/21/22 Update: Sullivan County Criminal Court Judge James Goodwin allowed Megan Boswell’s current attorney to withdraw from her case and appointed a new attorney. The move will delay her Feb. 6, 2023, trial. Judge Goodwin appointed Jonesborough attorney Gene Scott Jr. to replace Sproles. The judge and Sullivan County District Attorney General Barry Staubus acknowledged the change in legal counsel would delay Boswell’s upcoming trial. Goodwin set a 12/14/22 announcement hearing at which a new trial date likely will be set. Motions hearing 12/16/22 @ 1:30pm.
12/6/22 Update: Defense filed motion to allow Boswell to wear civilian dress clothes during hearings. The request was made "because of the extraordinary publicity & media attention her case is receiving," according to the motion.

You know what drives me crazy? how they dress defendants up for trials or other court procedures-- some crazed killer- mass murderer- who is a grunge, all of a sudden is dressed up to look like a banker- I think the defendant should have to dress in the clothes in which he committed the crime (of course that will never happen)--- we all know that jurors are influenced by the looks of a defendant to some extent which includes what they are wearing. Rant over!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back