Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

@Caring1 could you post the list of NamUs exclusions for this Jane Doe? I would appreciate :)
I would be happy to...........

4 Missing Person Exclusions:

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP5426Deborah Spickler
Date of Last ContactJuly 24, 1968
StateCT
CountyTolland

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP3977Cathy Moulton
Date of Last ContactSeptember 24, 1971
StateME
CountyCumberland

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP5533Denise Sheehy
Date of Last ContactJuly 07, 1970
StateNY
CountyQueens

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP5909Rosemary Calandriello
Date of Last ContactAugust 25, 1969
StateNJ
CountyMonmouth

I have been in contact with NamUS and the Bergen County Prosecutor's Office (cold cases) about Darlene DeWollf Polizzi. Obviously Darlene's case handler has changed because the Bergen County Office's email server did not recognize the case handler's Lt. Carmen Martino's email address.

The Doe Network and The Charley Project websites should be updated with information of NamUS and the Bergen County Prosecutor's Office. So updates of them would happen automatically without any contacts.

I have also provided information on the case of Jane Doe from the Doe Net Work website and the NamUS website. I also provided links to the Websleuths thread in both cases.

Criminal investigators surely read this site. I follow the Finnish Crime Forum, which is very similar to this site, where home and armchair detectives try to solve criminal cases, such as disappearances and crimes against life.

Let's hope this case of Doe will finally be resolved and that all of your hard work will be rewarded. We have done everything; our best to solve out this case. All the pieces of the puzzle will snap into place! Then we can see the whole picture of these two cases.

It would be time to resolve this Doe case, as the DNA of both Doe and Darlene should be available. Police didn't have Darlene's DNA until they obtained it from the last surviving sister, who passed away in 2016.

<modsnip>

However the main thing in this case, however, is for Darlene's relatives to know her fate. Special thanks to all of you for your all help in advance. :) :) :)

Well, I just hope the UID's remains can be located and DNA extracted for any testing. For those of use who have been eyeing this case for years and years have long realized obtaining DNA is KEY and I wonder if any agency has (or will ever) make that attempt? (I even suggested in an earlier post how the state might possibly obtain funds for this process - IF that is what could be blocking the effort.)

Last edited:
Well, I just hope the UID's remains can be located and DNA extracted for any testing. For those of use who have been eyeing this case for years and years have long realized obtaining DNA is KEY and I wonder if any agency has (or will ever) make that attempt? (I even suggested in an earlier post how the state might possibly obtain funds for this process - IF that is what could be blocking the effort.)

Jane Doe was found right on the border between Stonington and Ledyard Connecticut (thats why she should be called New London County Jane Doe and not Stonington/Ledyard Jane Doe. I suggested that she is Helen Claire Frost to a detective in Stonington and he said that the jurisdiction is still not clear. Because of that he turned my theory over to the Connecticut State Police. The CT police recently exhumed "East Haven Jane Doe" from 1975 so hopefully they'll get to NLCJD soon. However the murder has been solved and the case is otherwise closed, so Im thinking its not a high priority for them.

Jane Doe was found right on the border between Stonington and Ledyard Connecticut (thats why she should be called New London County Jane Doe and not Stonington/Ledyard Jane Doe. I suggested that she is Helen Claire Frost to a detective in Stonington and he said that the jurisdiction is still not clear. Because of that he turned my theory over to the Connecticut State Police. The CT police recently exhumed "East Haven Jane Doe" from 1975 so hopefully they'll get to NLCJD soon. However the murder has been solved and the case is otherwise closed, so Im thinking its not a high priority for them.
Helen Claire Frost went missing 10 months after this Jane Doe was murdered.

I thought the ring was shaped like a football, maybe a sports team? But I have seen other class rings from that Era and they are shaped similarly. Attached are a couple examples.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220803-095935_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-095935_Chrome.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20220803-100258_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-100258_Google.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 13

Yes, I agree it's not a high priority case under the mentioned circumstances (sadly). One would think the CT state police would (maybe, eventually) be able to track information back to the original (and any possible subsequent jurisdictions)... assuming records were kept. I've always thought "Ledyard" was correct as that is what is stated in the court documents related to the murder trial of DeFreitas. Just my assumptions and thinking... could be wrong though.

Also, I can't help wondering if the woman (who was given the fake identity of Joanne Rainello by the judge) is still living.

<modsnip> Johanna Lizzie Nadler. Letters inside the ring are J. L. N. She was born in New Jersey on February 28, 1903 to John Heinrich Ludwig Nadler and Louisa Johanna Juliana Berndt. Johanna Lizzie Nadler had 2 children. She passed away on 30 May 1957.
1f914.png
So Johanna Lizzie Nadler was grandma of Darlene Polizzi. Darlene was born in Germany (and moved to the US with her mother who had remarried a gentleman who lovingly adopted Darlene).
1f914.png
I still would like to know the High School this ring is from.

Skigirl wrote about Darlene and her grandmother's initials and the ring in the photo: I've been tracking this case for so long that it's not infrequent for me to feel like I've make exciting new discoveries only to find out that they are discoveries I clearly knew about eight years ago. I had totally discounted Darlene because of the strong suspicion about the serial killer and the timing, but the info about her grandmother's initials and the ring in the photo (which I don't remember ever seeing before), has brought me around.

She does resemble the sketch. Also interesting, she has a ring hanging from a necklace. Looks like there’s a cross also hanging with it. The Doe also was wearing a handmade necklace. Just for comparison, put the rings in question together. They do look similar. Please, look at the attached photo of both rings.

I also enclosed the picture of two school rings. These rings look very similar, but they are from different years. They are made of gold and silver. There are initials for engraving. I think it's J. L. N. on the ring for her grandma. These would seem to be High School rings. They occurred to me that are signet rings.

She must have left her jewelry behind. This ring has had a special meaning and emotional connection to her. I would think she has always kept it around her neck. This ring has been one with her and her identity. This ring has not been a piece of jewelry for her, but it has meant much more to her... very special thing. Looks like there’s a cross also hanging with the ring. I guess she’s taken the cross off the necklace and just kept the ring. This ring could be from her grandmother, giving it more emotional value than her other jewelries. This ring has passed along with her.

The identity of the unknown woman is apparently Darlene Polizzi. Interestingly she was friends with a wife of a murderer. And there was a bank robbery by him in NJ. The fits the description and also has the spots on her cheek. The spots on the cheek are freckles. Darlene had brown/red hair and brown eyes. Redheads often have freckles. Darlene had spots (freckles) on her face. She does show spots on her face. Jane Doe had spots (freckles) on her cheeks.

Look at this! Clothing description of Darlene: A brown blouse, a polka-dotted skirt and a brown suede coat with a fur collar. Her clothes are very similar like Jane Doe had... the same brown color etc.
1f914.png
Jane Doe had this clothing: Tan leather "wet look" vest, gold/tan sweater, brown tweed skirt, brown granny boots that go to the knees, and a yellow rain coat.

Darlene has reddish-brown hair and brown eyes, 5’3”, and weighing only 100 pounds. She was wearing a brown blouse and a skirt with polka dots, along with a brown suede coat with a fur collar.

Skigirl wrote: James Gardner, accomplice to the murder, gave his wife some of the UID's clothes. Her name was Hilda Iemma and she kept the clothes in Rhode Island until they were seized by detectives in 1974.
1f914.png
Skigirl wrote later again: This information was from an article in The Day, July 1, 1976.The clothes and rollers were intact because they were given to a girlfriend/wife of one of the killers. They were recovered in her home during the investigation into the deaths of Doe.

Jenny Doe was also White, Caucasian female like also Darlene Polizzi was a Caucasian female.

Darlene had curled hair. Found with Jane Doe was a set of Clairol rollers. Going to guess they were pretty important for her to have been on her person.

Darlene had styled hair. She used rollers for taking care of her hair. In all the pictures, her hair looks curled up. The curls have stretched out in the grave. I separate the hair put on the curlers because I am a woman myself. Curlers were still used by people older than me in the 1970s and 1980s. They even slept with curlers and a scarf on their heads.

Skigirl wrote about Darlene: Didn't some of the people who knew her say that they thought she'd been a dancer, but in New York? Some took that to mean that she was an exotic dancer, but maybe she worked in his club.
1f914.png
She was a waitress at the Hangar Restaurant in Paramus, NJ.

I was recently reading up on this case, when the killers confessed they said the Jane Doe and her partner were killed on new years eve 1970, so anyone missing after that is likely not a match unless they were reported missing years after they actually disappeared. Also missing persons cannot be too young for their age.

Skigirl wrote: There are some interesting details in an article I found in the Hartford Courant (June 30, 1976). * Carmichael bought the car that was found after the murders in Bridgeport, CT on October 28, 1970.

* After his murder, it was found stripped in Hartford but the inspection sticker remained.
* LE was able to learn from the sticker that the car was registered on Dec. 15, 1970 in Portland, Maine to David Skaggs, an alias of Carmichael's.
* A woman named Sandra Maiden claimed that at 17 years old, she, her husband (Roger Brown), Carmichael, and Jane Doe traveled together to "an Inn in CT" after a bank robbery in New Jersey

* The bank robbery was committed in Hamilton Square, New Jersey on Dec. 22, 1970 by the men and netted them $60,000.

* Sandra Maiden was subsequently left alone in an apartment in Exeter, NH a few weeks after the robbery, caught a bus to Portland, Maine, and called the FBI.

This was the beginning of this case:

On May 30, 1974, the Connecticut State Police received a tip about two murders and dug up a shallow grave in a wooded area behind the house. The decomposed bodies of a man and a woman were found. The man was successfully identified as a convicted bank robber, Gustavous Lee Carmichael.

Carmichael was a serial bank robber and had even escaped custody from jail. He and the woman (who was his girlfriend) used the aliases, Dirk and Lorraine Stahl before their murders on December 31, 1970. "Lorraine Stahl" was an alias of a woman found deceased in 1974. She also used the names Sandy and Connie.

Two men have been convicted for their murders. The unidentified woman was murdered because the two men feared that if apprehended, the woman would divulge details of their illegal activity. Carmichael was murdered, as the two men thought it would be impossible to kill the woman without killing Carmichael as well, as he would likely intervene.

1313UFCT - Unidentified Female​

The Missing Darlene DeWolff Polizzi

The Missing
Darlene DeWolff Polizzi
Case #: MP18331 (NamUs)
County: Bergen

Darlene DeWolff Polizzi was 19 years old when she went missing on Monday, April 24, 1967. She was a waitress at the Hangar Restaurant in Paramus, NJ. She was last seen at her home at the 400 block of Westminster Place in Lodi, Bergen County, New Jersey. Darlene has reddish-brown hair and brown eyes, 5’3”, and weighing only 100 pounds. She was wearing a brown blouse and a skirt with polka dots, along with a brown suede coat with a fur collar. Darlene was a regular at Tommy’s Diner on Paterson Avenue in Wallington, New Jersey.

According to her husband, (whose name I have not been able to find) the couple were looking to move, so Darlene accompanied him to look at new apartments that day. After looking at three, they returned to their residence. At some point later, Darlene’s husband went out again, by himself, leaving his wife at home. When he returned, she was gone. She has never been heard from again. Darlene’s husband reported her missing the next day, April 25.

It was determined that Darlene had taken several clothing items with her, but she left behind the rest of her personal belongings, including her jewelry. Police did not have Darlene’s DNA until they obtained it from the last surviving sister, who passed away in 2016.

Most of Darlene’s family members passed away, not knowing what happened to her. Her nieces are still continuing to look for their beloved “Aunt DeeDee.”

PLEASE, GIVE ME MORE EVIDENCE AND CLUES IF AVAILABLE!!!
Is it possible that the initials on the ring weren't a hugh school but the National Junior Honor Society?

Is it possible that the initials on the ring weren't a hugh school but the National Junior Honor Society?
There was discussion about this very early on in the thread. It was determined the NJHS wasn’t formed until 1929 though, thus probably ruling it out since the date associated with this ring is 1917.

has @othram ever been made aware of this case? this girl needs her name back, and her story is unique enough that a solve could generate a lot of buzz.

There was discussion about this very early on in the thread. It was determined the NJHS wasn’t formed until 1929 though, thus probably ruling it out since the date associated with this ring is 1917.

As far as the ring goes, i think it will be a dead end until we know her name, meaning i dont think it will lead us to her ID, but it might confirm her ID once we know it. we have tracked down the ring maker, but the company seems to be long gone, so it seems unlikely we will get any records to trace what JNHS/NJHS/JHNS etc it is.

I thought the ring was shaped like a football, maybe a sports team? But I have seen other class rings from that Era and they are shaped similarly. Attached are a couple examples.
Football hardly existed in 1917 so I think thats just a coincidence.

View attachment 358253

Also some signet with mirrored styles...

View attachment 358254
Am I the Only one who doesnt see a letter "H" on New London County Jane Doe's ring?

Compiling the key info regarding the woman from the two articles:

Age: 20's according to one article, 25-30 according to the other.
Height: About 5'1" according to one article; 5'4" to 5'5" according to the other.
Weight: About 110-115 lbs. according to one article, 100-110, according to the other.
Hair: Red or Brownish Red
Other Info: She was believed to have lived in the New York City area. May have relatives in Tennessee, West Virginia, or the Carolinas.
Ive seen NCJD Does height reported from 5'1 to 5' 8" in different newspapers

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChucksChickTiff