Found Deceased AL - Ben Stanford, 17, Anniston, Nov 2007

so sad. Kind of reminds me of a story from several years ago when two high school boys got carjacked behind a shopping center and were forced into the trunk. The carjackers shot one of them in the head. The other was shot in the arm but managed to get away and eventually lead LE back to the car and his best friend's body, which was nearby off the shoulder of the road.

http://legalminds.lp.findlaw.com/list/deathpenalty/msg02122.html

"Carroll County Coroner Sammy Eady said there were “no visible signs of trauma” on the body when he arrived at the scene. He said the body was pronounced dead at 2:39 p.m. Central time, but the time of death would likely be sometime on Nov. 5. He said the victim was found lying on his back near the edge of the woods."

http://starpolice.blogspot.com/

I am still wondering suicide or homicide with this case. Since the body was found "lying on his back", suicide is a definite possibility, but it sure seems like a strange place to commit suicide - why did he exit the truck? I am a bit concerned about Justin Gaines from Georgia, and the more recent disappearance from Charlotte, NC of Kyle Fleischmann; 24 years old and missing after being out late in a bar, making phone calls, and then just poof! Sound familiar? Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina.....if Virginia soon offers us a missing young male, we have a serious problem on our hands.

I wonder if this young man had a history of depression. Why would he drive to Georgia to commit suicide? I hope that we get some answers as to how Ben died. I have relatives in very close to Vestavia Hills. My husband and I lived around that area for many years.

My prayers and sympathy goes out to the family and friends of Ben. I know that it has to be devastating. :(

From the Birmingham News
A spokesman for the Carroll County, Ga., Sheriff's Department said searchers found Stanford's body about 2 p.m. It was about a half-mile from the interstate in a clearing of a wooded area near a cell tower.

Denise Secklinger, who lives in a house near the site, said it was quickly evident when searchers had found the body. "You just knew when the helicopters and all the cop cars showed up there was something there," she said.

Stanford's vehicle had been found Monday about 1,000 feet away, in the emergency lane of I-20 East. Its doors were unlocked and the passenger side door was left open, according to the Carroll County Sheriff's Department. The keys were not in the vehicle.

Different distances given in the same article! 1000 ft or a half-mile (about 2700 feet).

I wonder if death could have resulted as a fall from the cell tower?

Could he have been having a medical event of some type and been disoriented...tried to leave the car and get help?

Even drug use, intentional or someone drugging him...if he thought he was trying to escape someone and was driving, then fled the car.

This whole thing is so bizarre, I cannot even picture how it happened.

I hope they find some answers. It is so hard to let go when nothing gets resolved and there are only questions left.

OK, the article says COD was a single gunshot wound to the head. It doesn't say if the gun was located though. I'm assuming it was or it wouldn't have been ruled a suicide??

Oh, that's sad. I had wondered if it might end up this way... :(

Benjamin Stanford death ruled a suicide
Posted by The Birmingham News staff November 14, 2007 1:58 PM
The death of Lincoln teen Ben Stanford has been ruled a suicide, Carroll County, Ga., Coroner Sammy Eady said Tuesday.

Stanford, who had been missing for more than a week before his body was found Tuesday, died of a contact gunshot wound to the head, Eady said. Stanford's body was found about a quarter mile from where his car had been abandoned off Interstate 20.

Eady said a .25-caliber automatic handgun was found next to the body and evidence matches a determination of suicide.

We probably won't learn any more about this case.

OK, I am work, and haven't had time to read all the articles yet, but have his truck keys been located? I've noticed that all the snippets that have been posted from various articles mention the keys were not in the truck. If he committed suicide, the keys should be with him. If they're not, well, that opens up other possibilites.

My friend who knows the family emailed me again today:

Good morning,
This is really horrible. No, he has siblings, but he is the baby. His
mom and dad are older, Bill is 60 and Lynn is 58. They have not
released anything yet but we were told he was shot in the head. Whether
is was homicide or suicide, I don't know. They also believe whatever
happened took place on Monday when he disappeared. They said he was
found laying on his back. Lynn and Bill were staying in a RV in a
grocery store parking lot near the exit where his Jeep was found and
this is where the authorities went to tell them. My understanding is
the law enforcement has concluded at 1:00 no result in their search
yesterday and left, but another group (TX Equusearch) continued to search and just
before 2pm found his body. This without a doubt is a nightmare for this
family. There is a 20,000 dollar reward for information and I hope this
will bring out something, although Ben was rumored to be into drug use and this could have been a deal gone bad. His granddaddy said he was their baby, the
apple of their eyes. He is a good man, he is the Talladega State
Senator. I will let you know as I find out things.

I'm sure they are working on doing gun shot residue tests on his clothes and hands. That should determine for sure if he fired the gun himself.

So sad.

Just got this breaking news email:

Breaking News First on WSFA.com!

Hello Leigh,

WSFA 12 News has confirmed through published reports that the autopsy of Ben Stanford indicates the 17-year-old took his own life.

You can get the latest on this story on our web site at http://www.wsfa.com.

Just got this breaking news email:

Breaking News First on WSFA.com!

Hello Leigh,

WSFA 12 News has confirmed through published reports that the autopsy of Ben Stanford indicates the 17-year-old took his own life.

You can get the latest on this story on our web site at http://www.wsfa.com.

Oh dear. :(

Prayers to Ben's family and friends. Such a heartbreaking ending to such a young life.

Just wanted to let you know that Ben Stanford's death was ruled suicide and a gun was found. My heart is deeply sadden for his family and the are in my prayers.

Stanford investigation 'will likely continue into next week'

...according to Carroll County, Ga., chief deputy Brad Robinson.
“We’ve got some other tests pending through the state crime lab, and we’re waiting on some other information from the pathologist. I’ve asked for a rush to be put in those tests, so hopefully it will be here in the next five or six days. And I don’t mind reporting on anything then.”

One of the test results still outstanding is the toxicology report. Robinson did not elaborate on what other specific test results he was waiting for.

--->>

According to Robinson, Stanford did not leave a suicide note.

Robinson said investigators did know where the gun came from, but did not wish to disclose that information Thursday.
--->>

http://www.dailyhome.com/news/2007/dh-localnews-1116-cnorwood-7k15u5841.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288