Found Deceased TX - Athena Strand, 7, last seen at home, 200 block County Rd 3573, Paradise, 30 Nov 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wise County Emergency Mgmt Statement

The outpouring of support from this community has been overwhelming today. Food, flashlights, and water donations have poured in. Currently there are no needs for food or supplies.

First Responders from Police, Fire, EMS, and Emergency Management from all over the state as well as multiple rescue groups and a search team from the Texas State Guard all assisted in the search along with over 300 volunteers.

First responders will remain on scene overnight and throughout the day tomorrow. Currently, we do not need volunteers to assist with search tomorrow.

We will update this page if that changes along with a designated check in point. The best way to help is share official information only and respect those instructions.

If you see Athena Strand please contact the Wise County Sheriff's Office immediately at (940) 627-5971.

Wise County Emergency Mgmt Statement

The outpouring of support from this community has been overwhelming today. Food, flashlights, and water donations have poured in. Currently there are no needs for food or supplies.

First Responders from Police, Fire, EMS, and Emergency Management from all over the state as well as multiple rescue groups and a search team from the Texas State Guard all assisted in the search along with over 300 volunteers.

First responders will remain on scene overnight and throughout the day tomorrow. Currently, we do not need volunteers to assist with search tomorrow.

We will update this page if that changes along with a designated check in point. The best way to help is share official information only and respect those instructions.

If you see Athena Strand please contact the Wise County Sheriff's Office immediately at (940) 627-5971.
I find this statement interesting considering volunteers were out searching today:
So what exactly does that mean? I'm afraid that it may mean that LE is now looking at recovery due to the inclement weather but I hope I'm wrong. MOO

Athena’s stepmother called the Wise County Sheriff's Office just after 6:30 p.m. to report her missing. She told investigators there was an argument and later the girl was not in her room. The sheriff says she waited an hour to tell authorities because she went looking for the girl first.

Wise County Sheriff's Office, DPS, Texas Rangers, Fort Worth PD, Bridgeport PD, local fire departments, Wise County EMS, Search Rescue One and several others searched the area around the 200 block of County Road 3573 in Paradise. About 200 volunteers also showed up.
"Right now, we’re looking at all possibilities," said Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin. "But right now, we think the child walked away and maybe got lost."

But one of the girl’s aunts, Keeland Kulbeth, claims that’s unlikely but could not offer any evidence why.

"We definitely don't believe Athena ran off. We’re not sure if she’s been abducted or not," she said.

An AMBER Alert was issued Thursday afternoon, despite the sheriff saying there is currently no evidence of an abduction.
Athena’s mother, Maitlyn Gandy, lives in southern Oklahoma. She told FOX 4 that she does have sole custody of her daughter but allowed her to spend the fall semester in Texas with her father and stepmother.

Athena’s stepmother called the Wise County Sheriff's Office just after 6:30 p.m. to report her missing. She told investigators there was an argument and later the girl was not in her room. The sheriff says she waited an hour to tell authorities because she went looking for the girl first.

Wise County Sheriff's Office, DPS, Texas Rangers, Fort Worth PD, Bridgeport PD, local fire departments, Wise County EMS, Search Rescue One and several others searched the area around the 200 block of County Road 3573 in Paradise. About 200 volunteers also showed up.
"Right now, we’re looking at all possibilities," said Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin. "But right now, we think the child walked away and maybe got lost."

But one of the girl’s aunts, Keeland Kulbeth, claims that’s unlikely but could not offer any evidence why.

"We definitely don't believe Athena ran off. We’re not sure if she’s been abducted or not," she said.

An AMBER Alert was issued Thursday afternoon, despite the sheriff saying there is currently no evidence of an abduction.
Athena’s mother, Maitlyn Gandy, lives in southern Oklahoma. She told FOX 4 that she does have sole custody of her daughter but allowed her to spend the fall semester in Texas with her father and stepmother.
So bio mom lives in another state and Athena lives primarily with her? But she let Athena live with dad for the fall semester....that would mean she was due to go back to Oklahoma soon, no?

Man, this just gave me all the bad feels.

Why did mom have sole custody?
Was dad absent for a period? If so, when did he reenter her life?
When did mom last see her?
When did mom last talk to her?
The timing of her disappearing and her visit coming to a close doesn't sit well with me.

I am having difficulty understanding why a parent would "argue" with a 7 year old child. What is there to argue about? Cleaning the bedroom? If it's clean, end of discussion, if it isn't, it's tidied up. It's the end of discussion with a 4-7 year old child, not an argument with a 14 year old - or have I forgot what parenting is?

How long does it take to make supper for stepmom and a child? Twenty minutes? If the child was so upset that she chose to sneak away from her stepmother while she wasn't looking, that's not an argument about a messy bedroom. The 7 year old wasn't completing her homework? Why would anyone argue with a 7 year old?

Why would a 7 year old sneak out of the house into the cold, dark Winter alone when the parent was not looking?

I am having difficulty understanding why a parent would "argue" with a 7 year old child. What is there to argue about? Cleaning the bedroom? If it's clean, end of discussion, if it isn't, it's tidied up. It's the end of discussion with a 4-7 year old child, not an argument with a 14 year old - or have I forgot what parenting is?

How long does it take to make supper for stepmom and a child? Twenty minutes? If the child was so upset that she chose to sneak away from her stepmother while she wasn't looking, that's not an argument about a messy bedroom. The 7 year old wasn't completing her homework? Why would anyone argue with a 7 year old?

Why would a 7 year old sneak out of the house into the cold, dark Winter alone when the parent was not looking?
If the Dad was away, maybe the argument was over being left with step Mom alone? The whole "your not my Mom" thing kids sometimes use. She might have stormed off attempting to go home to her Bio Mom. Maybe thought if she could get to a certain spot she could call her Mom or maybe even thought she could make it to Dad or another relative. Somehow got turned around or picked up.

I would love to see a concrete timeline from yesterday. When did Athena get home from school? Who all was in the house? Who all left and when did they leave? How long were they gone? When did they return?

It would also be nice to know her runaway history and where she went to if there is indeed a history there. There's a huge difference between walking across the street or stomping off to the backyard and packing a bag and ending up miles away.

I'd really like to know when the Mom last spoke to her daughter, verbally or video? I, as mom who had sole custody, would be livid if my ex and his wife lost my young child. Has this happened in the past? If so why? Hope the Mom makes a statement soon. I hope this little girl is found safe. <modsnip: not victim friendly> Jmoo.

Last edited by a moderator:

And don’t forget under this timeline supper was at 4:45.

Flew into Texas today for a trip - the pilot announced that it was safe to take our cell phones out of airplane mode, and immediately everyone’s phones sounded the alarm for the Amber Alert! It was a bit eerie really, to hear so many phones alarming at once in a small space. But also so encouraging to know that Athena’s name and face is being put out there for everyone to see. It’s quite chilly here today and I am so concerned for Athena. Wish I could do something to help.

So bio mom lives in another state and Athena lives primarily with her? But she let Athena live with dad for the fall semester....that would mean she was due to go back to Oklahoma soon, no?
I'm behind, and this could be a child that got lost or hurt, but kids that are not really missing are reported missing because their caregivers will have to present them soon and can't. KWIM? Ala Casey Anthony and others. So who, besides family, last saw this little girl and when? Imo.

The two had an argument while Strand's dad was not home. They believe she walked out on her own, but neighbors say that doesn't seem right.

"The only time she left was to go to her grandmother's house next door - and that's family," Owens said. "She's not okay with being in the dark. She doesn't like the cold."

"There's some abandoned barns and sheds.. we went through there," said Chasity Allerkamp, who volunteered to help search for Strand. "We searched the woods behind the dad's property, not on the property while they were out there with the hounds, we couldn't find anything out there."

Volunteers in Wise County help search for missing 7-year-old Athena Strand

I'm behind, and this could be a child that got lost or hurt, but kids that are not really missing are reported missing because their caregivers will have to present them soon and can't. KWIM? Ala Casey Anthony and others. So who, besides family, last saw this little girl and when? Imo.
<modsnip: not victim friendly> This poor baby. If they were both out of the house, who saw her leave?? And why was the dad supposedly hunting and away and not he was there?

<modsnip: not victim friendly> This poor baby. If they were both out of the house, who saw her leave?? And why was the dad supposedly hunting and away and not he was there?
I meant why was it reported that the dad was away hunting and now it is reported that he was there? Someone make it make sense.

hmm, wish we had more info on this argument. I couldn't find reference to it at the link but I played the video on low volume because I am at work right now and may have missed it.

Argument with her parents? Which one(s)? [self edit because no MSM link to corroborate] I find this possible argument troubling in the light this child is missing.
BBM/EBM for typo:

Yes! She’s only 7! Stormed out after an argument with parents/stepmother doesn’t sound good. Confusing <modsnip: not victim friendly>. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member