OR OR - Tammy Pitkin, 54, realtor from CA, was in Sutherlin, has 2 dogs, car found on dead-end road in Linn Co, 17 Oct 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
1670015556510.jpeg

Tammy went missing from her residence, with her dogs. Recorded financial transactions were placed in Oregon. Last known to be have been in Sutherlin, Oregon on October 17th.

The vehicle was found off a dead-end forest service road off Highway 20, approximately 30 miles east of Sweet Home, Oregon.

Has there been any mention of Tammy's movements between the 14th and the 17th? For example was she in or around Sutherlin the entire time? And if so, is there anything in or around Sutherlin that would appeal to a middle aged woman for a weekend? It doesn't really strike me as a weekend getaway type of place.

Is it possible there could have been a romantic interest involved in any way? If she's just recently filed for divorce, I could see not wanting to mention a new romance to family and friends. Finding her abandoned vehicle doesn't really look great, but in an effort to stay optimistic, maybe she ditched it so no one could find her and her and her dogs are shacked up somewhere safe and happy.

Otherwise, I can't think of any positive reason her vehicle was abandoned in the middle of nowhere.

Despite the FB group being well-balanced (in my opinion) and run by a friend, it wasn't an "official" FB group by WS standards. It was not 'approved' by the family, despite family posting there.

Having said that, I am still worried about Tammy. Yes, she very well might have fell to self-harm in light of her recent seperation. But what if she didn't? What if a n'er do well observed her being despondent and there was an opportunistic crime? And I could have other theories, but I'm waiting for more info before I speak of them.

Looking at this area on Google Maps, once you drive east of Sweet Home on Highway 20 it's quite desolate. Nothing but heavy forest in that general area. If you zoom in on that general area you can see numerous small roads connecting to Highway 20 heading off into the forest, so those are probably some of the "forest service roads" mentioned in this case.

Unless you are a avid outdoor enthusiast (camper, hiker, hunter, etc.) or unless you had a vehicle issue, it doesn't seem likely anyone would be on those kind of roads. Also, given the remoteness of that area I would expect very limited cell phone service, if any.

Just to refresh my memory, do we have any details about the condition of Tammy's vehicle when it was found?

Do we know if the vehicle sustained any damage, had a mechanical issue, flat tire, ran out of gas, etc? Were there any signs of a struggle in or around her vehicle? Was her vehicle exterior relatively clean, or was it dirty/muddy?

Judging from the map Highway 20 is a paved road, so if her vehicle was very dirty then it may have been driven some distance on these logging roads.

Thanks.

Just to refresh my memory, do we have any details about the condition of Tammy's vehicle when it was found?

Do we know if the vehicle sustained any damage, had a mechanical issue, flat tire, ran out of gas, etc? Were there any signs of a struggle in or around her vehicle? Was her vehicle exterior relatively clean, or was it dirty/muddy?

Judging from the map Highway 20 is a paved road, so if her vehicle was very dirty then it may have been driven some distance on these logging roads.

Thanks.
Highway 20 is a major US highway, one of the few to get you from western to eastern Oregon. It goes through a pass in the Cascades.

Thanks.
We haven't any details about her vehicle that I can recall. There has only been one 'release' from LE in Oregon.
There is so little publicity about this case.
Her family does not seem to be speaking out.

I can't stop thinking about the dogs.
Tammy loved dogs. She was very active in the local dog rescue.
Would she take her dogs off to the woods to kill them or to leave them to fend for themselves if she planned self-harm?

I don't think we should just brush possible foul play off in this case.
This is just my perception, but I think most people who knew of someone who would care for their dogs, would leave their dogs alive in the case of self-harm. I think those who don't are in the minority, and their motivation is usually fear for what will happen to their pets without them. JMOO

Interview with Tammy's half-sister. They have been estranged for 5 years and the sister just found out last Sunday that she was missing.

Since then, a Facebook page has been created in her name with over 1,000 followers and countless posts.

Airaka Laughlin, Tammy’s half-sister, recently started commenting on the page after learning of her sister's disappearance on Sunday. Admittedly estranged from Tammy for the last five-plus years, Laughlin spoke with KRCR's Sam Chimenti on Wednesday about the importance of keeping her investigation going.

I just don’t know that there is a motivation to locate my sister," Laughlin said. "There were things that were happening prior to her disappearance that... skewed their (law enforcement's) impartiality. They're just kind of like 'she left on her own.'"
"If this is true, why do you think she left?" KRCR's Sam Chimenti asked.

"Currently, she is not mentally well. And, I believe, she got a little bit scared," Laughlin responded. "And, maybe, in the midst of her traveling wherever she was planning to go, she decided to pull off to the side of the road because she got scared by something. Maybe she thought she was being followed—I’m not sure."

Laughlin's reasoning for speaking with the media about her sister, in spite of their distant and strained relationship, was simple: she doesn't want Tammy's disappearance to be forgotten.

KRCR attempted to speak with both Tammy’s husband and son, plus law enforcement, but were unable to get in contact with any of them on Wednesday.

There is more at the link.

"Currently, she is not mentally well. And, I believe, she got a little bit scared," Laughlin responded. "And, maybe, in the midst of her traveling wherever she was planning to go, she decided to pull off to the side of the road because she got scared by something. Maybe she thought she was being followed—I’m not sure."
We now have confirmation that Tammy has unspecified MH issues, so unfortunately that could be a major factor in her disappearance.

If we read between the lines ... the half sister spoke to someone in order to find out Tammy is missing. What she stated about her MH is likely coming from another family member. This makes sense to me. Ive long thought there are details in this case that are not being openly shared by those closest to Tammy.

I noticed on the Finding Tammy Pitkin page, Trooper, one of Tammy's dogs, has been found after apparently spending 4 months in the woods!
And thankfully he's been re-homed.
Although great news, 4 months seems incredible for a dog to survive in the woods.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdub2488
Back