IL IL - Debbie Fijan, 10, murdered, DuPage Co, 11 Feb 1966 #3

In response, though "moot" at this time:
1) There was plenty of circumstantial evidence. "The notion that one cannot be convicted on circumstantial evidence is false". (Holland v United States - Supreme Court, 1954).
2) Yes, Debbie lived <2 miles from Benjamin School, she was abducted <300 yards from school @ Fair Oaks & St. Charles Rd., her body was found <3 miles from school, and Schofield lived <4-5 miles from Benjamin.
3) Debbie waited at school for her mother for a short time after a school BB game, then walked home. There were 2 older students/boys on the school grounds outside that noticed Debbie leaving to walk home.
4) Debbie was not a naïve individual that could be "easily duped", and she would not have gotten into a car with a stranger.
5) Yes, Schofield attended Debbie's funeral, though it was a "closed casket".
6) Your "car stuck in the mud" is fiction/never reported.
7) Schofield, his wife/children, and most if not all of his brother's, sister, and mother moved out of Wayne Township by 1970. His father drowned in Canada in May/1967. Interesting that Schofield's wife, MA, took a job with Northern Illinois University - Law School Library shortly after Debbie's death/GJ Trial. Maybe she knew that her husband really did "get off". I believe they were living in the Genoa, IL area at this time, before they moved to the KC area. Schofield, his wife, his mother-in-law Edna, and his youngest daughter are all buried in Genoa, IL.
Schofield's daughter was 2 when she drowned.
8) "Two can keep a secret, if two of them are dead".
9) Yes, Debbie's case went cold. LS and his family had too much influence, and too many "connections" in/around the area (i.e. maternal family name, father's job, LE, Attorney's, Catholic Church/Diocese, other family relatives/connections, etc.).
10) Judge Fitzgerald, first judge in Debbie's GJ Trial was removed for a supposed "conflict of interest". All he did was sign a search warrant. His son, Bishop JEF (1938 - 2003), served as Bishop of Joliet. "Connect the Dots" - with LS's first meeting in jail with Doug S., who was married to Loretta W., who's brother was married to Schofield's sister. The "connections" and "influence" is profound.
11) State's Attorney didn't do a very good for the Fijan family during Grand Jury "trial". Schofield's defense team (R. Chapski) had quite the reputation in/around the Chicago area that the DPC State's Atty. was "fearful" of.

I apologize if some of this is redundant, AND MOOT. Yes, "sometimes people get away with murder". In Debbie's case, LS got away with murder.

Not sure what you are getting at I agree that LE was most likely on the right track with this individual, and its unsolved, still so theres nothing "moot"

Not sure what you are getting at I agree that LE was most likely on the right track with this individual, and its unsolved, still so theres nothing "moot"

I was only referring to my 08/03 post, not your 07/18 post. The fact that Debbie's case has gone unsolved for 55+ years, the majority of the posts on Debbie's site are quite "trivial" (moot). Please don't misinterpret that as not caring to get Debbie's case solved, and I don't want to offend anyone on Debbie's site by saying that. I just don't think there are too many individuals still living(?), if any, that may have had direct knowledge in 1966 of Debbie's death (i.e. LE, LS's relatives, other teachers at Benjamin School during the 1960's, etc.). Debbie's siblings x4 were all younger, moved out of the area, and only know what they were told. LS/MaryAnne only had one son (10 mo. old) when Debbie was murdered. I doubt very much that DPC/LE, Detectives, or PI's are following this site; although Cubby might be able to confirm that. If I recall, Cubby had some "direct communication" awhile back with the DPCSD(?).

Last heard/checked, there are only 3 individuals that I know of (still living) that most likely had direct knowledge about Debbie's death. One of them was a relative by marriage (sister-in-law), one was a daughter of a very key person at the start of Debbie's Grand Jury, and one is a relative/owner of the property where Debbie's body was found. All 3 of these individuals are in their 70's/80's, 2 live in IL, one out of IL.

Sadly, "three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead". Yes, Debbie's case is unsolved as you said. I just feel "the clock is ticking", though I won't give up.

Last edited:
Maryanne Schofield
Maryanne Schofield, 65, of Kansas City, Missouri formerly of Genoa, Illinois died Monday, July 15, 2002 at her home. She was born April 3, 1937 in Chicago, Illinois, the daughter of Francis D. and Rose Mary (Appel) Schulgen. Maryanne retired from the Northern Illinois University Law Library. She was a member of the Foursquare Gospel Church in Genoa.
Survivors include her husband, Loren Schofield of Kansas City, MO; a son, Matthew (Linda) Schofield of Loveland, CO; three daughters, Martha Schofield of Kansas City, MO, Roseanne Schofield of Kingston, IL and Victoria (Kenneth) Neal of Kansas City, MO; two grandchildren, Arianna and James Neal; two brothers, Frank Smith of Beaver Dam, WI and Marvin (Mary Kay) Schulgen of Lombard, IL; a sister, Agnes (John) Schofield of Mineral, IL and a nephew, Kevin Schulgen of Lombard, IL.
She was preceded in death by her parents and a daughter, Joanna Schofield.
A funeral service will be held at 11:00 A.M. on Thursday, July 18, 2002 at Saint Catherine of Genoa Church, 340 South Stott St., with the Rev. Al Neumann and the Rev. James Freund, officiating. Interment will be in Saint Catherine's cemetery in Genoa. A visitation will be from 6:00 P.M. to 8:30 P.M. on Wednesday at the Cooper-Quiram Funeral Home, 202 E. Main St., P.O. Box 251, Genoa, IL 60135.

Read more: ILLINOIS - Kane County Obituary Collection - 223

Genoa, IL area at this time, before they moved to the KC area. Schofield, his wife, his mother-in-law Edna, and his youngest daughter are all buried in Genoa, IL.

CORRECTION to the 08/03 post: Schofield's MOTHER EDNA is buried in Genoa; same cemetery where he is buried, along with his wife, and daughter who drowned at the age of 2.

Genoa, IL area at this time, before they moved to the KC area. Schofield, his wife, his mother-in-law Edna, and his youngest daughter are all buried in Genoa, IL.

CORRECTION to the 08/03 post: Schofield's MOTHER EDNA is buried in Genoa; same cemetery where he is buried, along with his wife, and daughter who drowned at the age of 2.

"I don't believe you ever get closure on anything. Things leave a permanent mark on you" (Allison Anders)

Loren Franklin Schofield (1939-2018) - Find A Grave Memorial
Maryanne Schofield (1937-2002) - Find A Grave Memorial
Edna M Schofield (1904-1990) - Find A Grave Memorial a.k.a. Edna (Klein) S.
Joanna Schofield (1976-1978) - Find A Grave Memorial

"A Promise to Helene" just recently aired on Dateline/NBC, 10/16/21; a 40 year old Colorado cold case that was solved using DNA from a relative of the killer. A very persistent long time friend, and a very qualified young Detective with a "new set of eyes, helped solve this case. I watched with sadness, frustration, and anger that Debbie's case has gone unsolved/with no activity, for 55+ years; though thrilled that Helene's case was solved.

Helpful 1?? What, if anything happened to the "samples" you supposedly provided. As the "leader" of the free world would say: "Come on man". Please help DPCSD solve Debbie's case if you know something.

11/16/1955 - 02/11/1966
Debbie would have been celebrating her 66th birthday today. I was recently looking at "old and funny" class pictures from Benjamin School, graduating Class of 1969; a total of 21 students. Debbie should have been in those pics, and continues to be missed by friends and family.

"A Promise to Helene" just recently aired on Dateline/NBC, 10/16/21; a 40 year old Colorado cold case that was solved using DNA from a relative of the killer. A very persistent long time friend, and a very qualified young Detective with a "new set of eyes, helped solve this case. I watched with sadness, frustration, and anger that Debbie's case has gone unsolved/with no activity, for 55+ years; though thrilled that Helene's case was solved.

Helpful 1?? What, if anything happened to the "samples" you supposedly provided. As the "leader" of the free world would say: "Come on man". Please help DPCSD solve Debbie's case if you know something.

As I explained, I met with SGT Wayda #056 and provided my DNA. It's unclear to me what else you want of me. I suggest you reach-out to DPCSD.

As I explained, I met with SGT Wayda #056 and provided my DNA. It's unclear to me what else you want of me. I suggest you reach-out to DPCSD.

Information provided 5/1/2020.

Above post ("Information provided") per Helpful1 05/07/20. That's great. I hope to follow up with DPCSO in the next few months. Last heard/checked, there were no plans to exhume Debbie's body after almost 56 years. Most likely, any clothing of Debbie's that may have been saved, has deteriorated severely over the years.

56 Years to the day/date (o2/11/1966 - 02/11/2022)

I can still remember the day as if it was yesterday; playing in the BB game after school on 02/11/66 & Debbie keeping score, learning that night Friday that Debbie was missing, learning on Saturday 02/12 that Debbie had been murdered, and going to her funeral in Glen Ellyn.

I continue to hope and pray that Debbie's case is solved, but those hopes continue to diminish with each passing day.

I just recently found the below property sale at Lies & Fair Oaks. As most of you know, this is the property where Debbie's body was found, approx. 200 feet east of Fair Oaks, about 10 feet on the north side of Lies (gravel road in 1966). Hmm.....I wonder if the "listing agent" knows anything about Debbie's unsolved Cold Case??? This property was owned by George Klein's family/relatives (i.e Edna KLEIN and John SCHOFIELD, Schofield's parents) up until about the 1940's/50's; although this 10 acre parcel was not owned by John/Edna Schofield. The "Schofield family farm" was at Fair Oaks & Lies, on the west side of Fair Oaks, now DPC Forest Preserve property.

Lies @ Fair Oaks Rd., Carol Stream, IL 60188 - Land for Sale | LoopNet

Last edited:
Checking in myself, doesn't look like much progress. Hoping for a resolution soon.

Very little, if any progress on Debbie's case. Did anyone see the recent 04/02/22 NBC Dateline: "Evil was Watching"; involving a cold case for two young girls (1985 -Tacoma, WA)? Another SOLVED CASE, and another example of one female "lead" Detective that never gave up. Yes, many DNA advances available for this case vs. what was/wasn't available in 1966; although, a great deal in solving cold cases has to do with PERSISTENCE. Sadly, Debbie's case and file continues to collect dust, while DPCSO does nothing.

For those interested, Debbie's file/"court proceedings" (Case # 66 CR 8450) can be viewed at the DPC Circuit Court. Her file was scanned, and was not sealed or impounded. Not sure how much physical evidence was saved and/or is available at the DPCSO ??? Not sure if any of the DPCSO Detectives are "willing and able" to say what physical evidence they might still have "boxed up" collecting dust.

Last I read the remaining property was sold to a builder.who wants to sdd aTown Home subdivision.

Forgive the messy posts. Too many ads take almost the entire site.

There isn't much, if any dna found on evidence in storage.
Yes, it was tested.

I read.the case info on Sally Kandel's murder..... and wonder how much of a comparison was examined by DPC. Both girls were found within a few hundred feet of each other, and both had stab wounds to their eyes. Did police rule out a connection between Milone and Debbie's case? Milone would have been about 16 when Debbie was murdered.

Gone, but not forgotten
Missing you Debbie on 11/16/2022, which would have been your 67th birthday.

Last I read the remaining property was sold to a builder.who wants to sdd aTown Home subdivision.

Forgive the messy posts. Too many ads take almost the entire site.

There isn't much, if any dna found on evidence in storage.
Yes, it was tested.

I read.the case info on Sally Kandel's murder..... and wonder how much of a comparison was examined by DPC. Both girls were found within a few hundred feet of each other, and both had stab wounds to their eyes. Did police rule out a connection between Milone and Debbie's case? Milone would have been about 16 when Debbie was murdered.
I just recently visited the Carol Stream site. For those interested, the "Conceptual Plan" at Lies & Fair Oaks can be "viewed" at 6886 Carol Stream.org. Quite a bit of the plan commission/zoning minutes from 09/12/22 are posted, plan is towards the end. It appears that the area where Debbie's body was found (southwest corner) will be "untouched"; which is now right-of-way/easement (bike path) area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back