Australia Australia - Paddy Moriarty, 70, & his dog Kellie, Larrimah, NT, 16 Dec 2017

'Ongoing feud' with neighbours linked to outback disappearance of Paddy Moriarty, says NT coroner

The NT coroner has referred the suspected death of Larrimah man Paddy Moriarty to the Director of Public Prosecutions, saying his mysterious disappearance was likely the result of criminal offences.

After completing his inquest into Mr Moriarty's suspected death, coroner Greg Cavanagh handed down his findings on Thursday morning.

"In my opinion Paddy was killed in the context of and likely due to the ongoing feud he had with his nearest neighbours," the findings read.

"He likely died on the evening of 16 December 2017."

However, he said the cause of the 70-year-old's death "was not able to be determined".

Came up in my google alerts so thought I'd give it a bump.

Police have referred the unsolved case of missing Northern Territory man Paddy Moriarty to the Director of Public Prosecutions, who will determine whether there is evidence to prosecute one or more of his neighbours over his disappearance.

Police have referred the unsolved case of missing Northern Territory man Paddy Moriarty to the Director of Public Prosecutions, who will determine whether there is evidence to prosecute one or more of his neighbours over his disappearance.

what came out in the inquest doesn't seem IN MY OPINION like enough for a conviction.

Five years after Paddy Moriarty's mysterious disappearance from the tiny town of Larrimah, residents are still seeking answers​

Five years ago, just weeks before Christmas, Paddy Moriarty and his dog Kellie, left their house in the tiny Northern Territory town of Larrimah for the final time.

Neither has been seen since, and members of the remote community he long called home are still searching for answers.

The case was referred to the NT Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), but so far no charges have been laid.

Both the NT Police and DPP say they are unable to comment on the case at this stage.

Now, Mr Moriarty's Larrimah property could soon be up for sale.

Last month the NT Public Trustee announced it intends to administer his estate, meaning his home could be sold off.

Larrimah moving forward​

Though memories of Mr Moriarty remain strong in Larrimah, there have also been some big changes in the past five years.

Two of the town's long-term residents, Bill Hodgetts – who was Ms Hodgetts' former husband – and former publican Barry Sharpe, have died.
But the town's population has stayed about the same, with several new residents having moved in, including a young couple and their baby.

The Larrimah Hotel has been renovated, there have been some much-needed road upgrades, and there's even been talk that Larrimah could one day become a boom town with plans for multiple new resources projects in the area.

I have always thought a mix of people co-conspired to dispose of Paddy.

He seemed to have collected quite a few people with reason to really, really dislike him.

Do you remember the story of Ken McElroy? Bascially a total menace that terrorized his town to the point where he was basically a dictator. He was shot in a large group of people and no one claims to have seen a thing.

There was also an Indian man (I believe it was India) that also wreaked havoc on his town until one brave girl visiting from college stood up to him. I forgot exactly what she did, but while she was standing up to him, the rest of the townfolk burned the guys house to the ground and mob attacked him.

The point is, I don't think its too hard to imagine co-conspirators from all the enemies he made.

I have always thought a mix of people co-conspired to dispose of Paddy.

He seemed to have collected quite a few people with reason to really, really dislike him.

Do you remember the story of Ken McElroy? Bascially a total menace that terrorized his town to the point where he was basically a dictator. He was shot in a large group of people and no one claims to have seen a thing.

There was also an Indian man (I believe it was India) that also wreaked havoc on his town until one brave girl visiting from college stood up to him. I forgot exactly what she did, but while she was standing up to him, the rest of the townfolk burned the guys house to the ground and mob attacked him.

The point is, I don't think its too hard to imagine co-conspirators from all the enemies he made.

Like Murder on the Orient Express in real life

The documentary dives into the town’s history, the sharp-tongued residents’ various squabbles and the missing persons cold case of Paddy Moriarty, 70, who vanished in December 2017 along with his dog, prompting a police investigation.

“Early on, I showed [footage] I had to an Australian person. And he was like, ‘How did you get these people to talk to you?’ I know this from experience, my dad was an old Australian guy who didn’t share much,” Tancred told The Post. “Once I got there, I think it just took them looking me in the eye. Once they got to know me, they were welcoming.”

“It got to the point where I could walk around town, knock on anyone’s door [and] they would be like, ‘Thomas, come in, have a cup of tea!’”

NYPICHPDPICT000057867668.jpg

Fran Hodgetts, a quirkly local known for her pies and her less than friendly demeanor.

“I knew I didn’t want it to be a generic true crime [documentary], where it’s just spooky the whole time,” he said. “The thing I’m thankful for is that these residents are colorful people, and they’ve got lots of great stories, and they love to sit down and they call it ‘spin a yarn.'”

Interviews with residents — and footage of Moriarty — show that depending on who you talk to, he was an affable rascal or a menace who might have even been an arsonist.

The documentary also covers numerous conspiracy theories about what happened to him — such as a theory that whoever killed him fed him to the crocodile, which is why no body has ever turned up.

“The hardest thing was finding the tone. How do I infuse that comedy next to a scene where there’s something dramatic and sad going on? That balance was something I was trying to nail,” Tancred said.

Barry Sharpe standing outside of Larrimah Hotel.

Filming in that region wasn’t a walk in the park, he said.

“It is brutal. Early on in the process, I planned to shoot with a certain camera, and our director of photography was like, ‘You can’t shoot with that camera. I shot up there recently, and the body melted on the camera,'” Tancred said. “For the first time in my life, I had heat stroke. And the elements are crazy.”

“Everybody there told me that whatever happened to Paddy and whoever did it … if you drive south, there’s nothing for a long time. There’s no gas stations, so there’s no security cameras. If you pull somebody into the woods there, there are so many animals that could eat their flesh, and feral pigs to eat [their] bones,” he continued. “And there’s a snake there that bites you and five minutes go by, and you’re dead.”

“I think that’s what keeps a lot of people from living in that part of the world,” he said. “It is tough.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back