ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 37

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange, it isn't in mine.

uGM4rF1.png
I know the thread has moved on, but I think this might be useful for the future:

When an article has a "click to read more/click to keep reading" button, or more than one page of text, using a search function to search that article for a keyword (which is a very smart approach IMO) will only search the part of the article that is currently displayed. In my experience.

Not sure how you would know that there are many cases that the perpetrator is known but that there isn't enough evidence. Do you have a particular case(s) in mind?

IMO, it’s all too often a lack of funds and training that prevents LE from gathering proper evidence at a crime scene.

I agree, there is no guarantee. I stand by my opinion that there is no perfect crime. It’s not advisable to charge someone unless prosecution have an ironclad case, as double jeopardy can play a role and then justice is lost forever.

This narrative is in MOO.
Scott Peterson case is an example - they knew it was him but took 4 months to collect enough evidence to ensure a conviction.

That's why I keep asking about state of mind. Is this person capable of disassociation that borders on brief psychosis? Is it brief psychosis? (one of the grab bag descriptions that are to prove or disprove)
PTSD
Or is this person grimly certain of their own mission. Do they really believe they have special permission from whatever they believe in to do this?
Command prompts. Schizophrenia/schizoaffective d/o. Or, brainwashed by deluded ideologies.
Or were they in some kind of fugue state?
Unlikely.

In all of the above except warped ideology, a perpetrator acting within those states would almost certainly not be calculating, meticulous, and efficient. Probably wouldn't be behind the wheel of a car either.

My opinion.

I know everyone is speculating on motive in relation to the four victims but what if the motive was in relation to LE? Is the perp taunting LE with an extremely difficult crime to be solved? As in “if you think you’re so smart let’s see if you can figure this out”. Maybe the 4 were chosen not only for their connection to each other but also because with each one there are so many connections to others that would have to be investigated and the house as a gathering place had so many visitors that would need to be investigated and the blood DNAs that would need to be separated and compared before anything definitive would be known. Victim wounds purposefully placed so as to confuse which was the target. All aspects of this crime intentional to create something so complicated that it would require deep and serious investigating skills along with perseverance to unmask this killer. Could this crime be a personal invitation to LE from a diabolical killer to solve what he deems unsolvable.

Jmo, moo and thinking way outside the box

But a very interesting out of the box theory. Indeed, you're moving right ahead into an area we haven't really explored - which is the victimology of this crime. Since we do not know an individual target, we can definitely theorize about who, exactly, the intended victims are. Perhaps not just the four dead students.

Maybe all students in general (through anxiety and terror), maybe the town in general, maybe all college bound young people?

I hadn't thought of police, though. I can envision a scenario in which Murderer feels that SOME people get better treatment by the police than others. And yes, taking away LE's reliance on DNA is a major blow (and that's basically what happened here, IMO). Yep, no specific target.

And, perhaps the killer is testing his own Rules of Engagement. Will people who know him...tell on him, in any way? I sure would be afraid to, if I sensed anything remotely like his true nature.

This crime could haunt those specific police in Moscow for the rest of their lives (and the FBI/ISP involved as well). As well as others who feel they might have foreseen it.

It is still so surreal.
I believe the coroner said stab wounds.

I just posted where she said otherwise. I'll go find it again.

Here's the quote from the article cited below:

//
Steven Goncalves said he asked the coroner, Cathy Mabbutt, how many times the victims were stabbed.

"She says, sir, I don't think stabs is the right word, it was like tears, like this was a strong weapon, not like a stab," he told Fox News Digital Sunday.//

This is of course according to Mr. G. In the next article, the word "slashing" is used. But in the above article, Mr G says the Coroner specifically corrected him and chose a different word than "stab."

AFAIK, the death certificate is not public - but if anyone has heard what it actually said besides Homicide, please point us to it.

I am unsure, it appeared to be about a year or so old. I do think they shared the dog, or her former bf babysat the dog. It's possible the dog was a gift from him while they were "taking a break".

I probably wouldn't have been onstage at my friendly "broken up", or "taking a break", s/o's memorial, but that's just me. I'd probably attended but not been front and center. All folks are different.
I hadn’t heard of KG’s ex being onstage at a memorial. JMO

Perhaps you are thinking of MM’s boyfriend?

Striking the chest area directly is a bad idea and sometimes breaks knives, certainly makes the killer more tired, takes longer and doesn't use the value of momentum and weight leverage that makes a long fixed blade knife so effective.

According to Mr and Mrs G, the killer struck at and basically destroyed K's liver, and her lungs. You can do that without the difficulties posed by trying to strike the chest/heart. Some online articles recommend 2 stabs (each lung) and then the liver (which causes massive and rapid bleed-out, but not as much arterial blood spurt). The deflation of the lungs means the person can't make a sound. Silent and rapid and much less energy if you're going to kill 4 people. Also, this method can work for a smaller person too. There's more to it, but I've written it before and am beginning to feel that I probably shouldn't.

I am taking the view that each of the victims was killed in much the same way, although obviously, much could have occurred between the killer and each victim to change the basic plan.

This is not specialized anatomical knowledge at all, but it may be knowledge that the average person doesn't have.

Very interesting info and I agree that an average person would not have this knowledge, but would you think that a experienced hunter may know these "techniques"?

IMO JMO but I'd have gone out of love and respect and friendship and loyalty for my long-time love and her family. If I did nothing to hurt her, I'd be ashamed of myself for not showing up but that's just me. Just because people break up doesn't mean they quit loving and caring about one another.

I disliked my former s/o immensely but went to the visitation and funeral, helped with much of the sound, the spray, etc.. We had children together, he was indigent. We do what we must for those we love (my children). So of course I can see the former bf attending. They treated him like a son. I personally would not have felt comfortable being up there on that stage. If he did, so be it. He's doing what he felt was right for him.

What about possibility killer is dead, self inflicted like Brian Laundre in remote area. No show at work next day and no family that would report him missing? Perhaps missing persons reports from immediate and outside areas within time frame should be followed up? Request information from public and from employers that had no shows at work next day or so after murders.

MOO Someone saying "FU mister" isn't meant as angry or to be a retort to a rude or hostile comment, in fact just the opposite, in more of a joking back or silly way.

I disagree. If someone tells me FU I don't take it as a joke. I take it personally.

JMO
I think it depends on what you're used to, and is greatly influenced by age. My husband is in construction and he hears that word used like some other people would use "damn" or "crap". They think nothing of it. My daughter has a serious potty mouth, gained from working in a commercial kitchen. I had no idea, lol. I hear people use it fairly both in a joking and serious way. And it's easy for me to tell which is which. YMMV

What about possibility killer is dead, self inflicted like Brian Laundre in remote area. No show at work next day and no family that would report him missing? Perhaps missing persons reports from immediate and outside areas within time frame should be followed up? Request information from public and from employers that had no shows at work next day or so after murders.
I think Brian killed in a moment of passion and regretted it later on To the point oF committing suicide. The Idaho murders were planned out thoughtfully, and I believe the killer is thrilled that he/she has not been caught……………..yet.

Coroner Mabbutt was pretty clear about what she saw.

"It was late at night or early in the morning so it seems likely that maybe they were sleeping," said Mabbutt. The coroner explained that each victim had been stabbed multiple times and most of them had a single injury that was the "lethal stab wound." "The fatal ones were to the chest area or the upper body area," said Mabbutt, who noted that "a pretty large knife" was used in the attack.

Mabbutt visited the crime scene and reached out to each family member to disclose details from the autopsies.
The students were ambushed as they slept in their beds at 1122 King Road with a large fixed-blade knife, according to police and Mabbutt. Each victim had multiple stab wounds. "It had to be a really big knife to inflict those injuries and kill four people," she said. At least one victim had defensive wounds, which suggested she awoke during the attack, Mabbutt noted.

Moscow has had its share of killings, but the quadruple homicide is "the first time they haven’t known who did it in a short period of time,"Mabbutt, said.

Mabbutt said it was likely the four had bled out in the home.

She [Mabbutt] said DNA samples have been taken from the scene and are being processed. When pressed, she said it was "possible" that some of the DNA being tested may not be of the four victims. "There were nail clippings that were taken, and other ones that are being sent off, and so that will be processed," she said. They are awaiting final autopsy results, which will not be available for another four to six weeks, pending toxicology. Mabbutt said in this case, the toxicology reports likely wouldn't be important to the investigation.

"Seems likely that maybe they were s!eeping".

I know everyone is speculating on motive in relation to the four victims but what if the motive was in relation to LE? Is the perp taunting LE with an extremely difficult crime to be solved? As in “if you think you’re so smart let’s see if you can figure this out”. Maybe the 4 were chosen not only for their connection to each other but also because with each one there are so many connections to others that would have to be investigated and the house as a gathering place had so many visitors that would need to be investigated and the blood DNAs that would need to be separated and compared before anything definitive would be known. Victim wounds purposefully placed so as to confuse which was the target. All aspects of this crime intentional to create something so complicated that it would require deep and serious investigating skills along with perseverance to unmask this killer. Could this crime be a personal invitation to LE from a diabolical killer to solve what he deems unsolvable.

Jmo, moo and thinking way outside the box
I agree. Hopefully there is DNA in the bedroom's of someone who doesn't belong, or has never been in the girl's bedrooms.

Gitana, good to see you. Can I recommend you read through the first half or so of the first thread and some of the articles in the media thread? It would help you get your bearings, and help us also, because we are at a point in this case where it is worth someone going back to the beginning and reading through some of that now that we know so much more.
I know I should but I haven’t had the time!!

I hadn’t heard of KG’s ex being onstage at a memorial. JMO

Perhaps you are thinking of MM’s boyfriend?

KG's family and JD were onstage at the Celebration of Life in early December that was hosted by Real Life Ministries. JD was on stage with KG's family, but he didn't speak.

It's possible he's dead but I don't think it would have been from inflicting death upon himself. Car accident perhaps. Drove off a mountain pass and comfortably resting 800 ft. down at the bottom. If I were to ask employers for no shows, I would ask only for those that have never returned.
moo

To the best of my knowledge and belief, it doesn’t work that way.

If they arrested someone based on ‘the slightest suspicion,’ several things would happen.

Chances are that they’d be arresting an innocent person, and giving the defense attorney of the guilty person a lot of extra ammunition, when LE eventually finds the guilty person.

Or, if by some chance their ‘slightest suspicion’ happened to land on the guilty person, he’d be out in a few days, since ‘slightest suspicion’ isn’t enough to hold someone.

Not to mention that in this case, there’s probably a hundred different people that you could have the ‘slightest suspicion’ of. (I exaggerate only slightly.)

Now, one thing that LE DOES do often, similar to what you said, is to arrest a suspect for something else, some relatively petty crime, if they have evidence for that. That gets the suspect off the street, temporarily, at least.

MOO
I might have overexaggerated at the 'slightest suspicion' part but the cops do not really need that much if they believe you are the suspect. All they need is a probable cause and circumstantial evidence to at least hold you for a specific time. Take Delphi as the recent example - the case is built mostly on circumstantial evidence. If for example, they suspect the killer, they can track his movements, they can track where he was at the time of the murders, possible motive, camera footage, etc. That will be enough to detain him while they build the case. We're month in a half in, that's plenty of time to collect such evidence if they had a suspect.

The fact they released an information about an Elantra which they don't know who it is and we are not sure how it is related to the crime shows to me they really do not have someone in their sights because if they did, they wouldn't really need to ask the public for help, they could have easily checked that with the suspect themselves.
I feel this case is very similar to the 1990 Ganesville muders @ The University of Florida.
I don't think there are any similarities between the Gainesville murders and this besides the weapon of choice. Rolling was motivated sexually, this killer was obviously not. I know people speculate if the stabbings are some form of sexual gratification or what not, but that's just what it is - speculation. There was no sexual assault on any of the victims. It seems murder was the end goal here and little else. Second, Rolling was pretty sloppy for the most part and would have been caught with modern technology almost immediately since his DNA, being a prior offender, would have been in the database. This killer so far, albeit inexperienced and risky, doesn't seem to have left much. Even with modern technology the Elantra so far has been the only thing of note about him and whether that is relevant to the investigation or not might be a hail mary. Also, Rolling had a real trouble functioning in his personal life, doing stupid *advertiser censored*, having trouble keeping his jobs, etc - things that would immediately arouse some suspicion in a small town such as Moscow. He would also pose his victims and take pleasure in mutilating them, with the cops, etc. So far from everything we know this killer didn't do any of that and we at least know a little about the crime scene given what the coroner told the Goncalves family of Kaylee's 'tear wounds'. But the thing is, that could easily just be the killer trying to kill her as fast as possible before having to deal with Maddie. Or simply having a specific hatred for her.

KG's family and JD were onstage at the Celebration of Life in early December that was hosted by Real Life Ministries. JD was on stage with KG's family, but he didn't speak.

I guess he was invited by family.
I don't think he barged onto the stage uninvited.
Such events are carefully planned.

JMO

IMO, police were given any surveillance footage from the Corner Club weeks ago. Police already know who was at the bar that night, and while the screen grab that is circulating might be new information to the public, it is not new to the police. The Moscow PD website still says that the male that K & M repeatedly called that evening is not believed to be involved.

MOO

But a very interesting out of the box theory. Indeed, you're moving right ahead into an area we haven't really explored - which is the victimology of this crime. Since we do not know an individual target, we can definitely theorize about who, exactly, the intended victims are. Perhaps not just the four dead students.

Maybe all students in general (through anxiety and terror), maybe the town in general, maybe all college bound young people?

I hadn't thought of police, though. I can envision a scenario in which Murderer feels that SOME people get better treatment by the police than others. And yes, taking away LE's reliance on DNA is a major blow (and that's basically what happened here, IMO). Yep, no specific target.

And, perhaps the killer is testing his own Rules of Engagement. Will people who know him...tell on him, in any way? I sure would be afraid to, if I sensed anything remotely like his true nature.

This crime could haunt those specific police in Moscow for the rest of their lives (and the FBI/ISP involved as well). As well as others who feel they might have foreseen it.

It is still so surreal.

I just posted where she said otherwise. I'll go find it again.

Here's the quote from the article cited below:

//
Steven Goncalves said he asked the coroner, Cathy Mabbutt, how many times the victims were stabbed.

"She says, sir, I don't think stabs is the right word, it was like tears, like this was a strong weapon, not like a stab," he told Fox News Digital Sunday.//

This is of course according to Mr. G. In the next article, the word "slashing" is used. But in the above article, Mr G says the Coroner specifically corrected him and chose a different word than "stab."

AFAIK, the death certificate is not public - but if anyone has heard what it actually said besides Homicide, please point us to it.
As you pointed out, that is what Mr G SAID the Coroner told him. I don't think that should be given much accuracy at this point. But again it is an example of someone saying they were told something, and pretty soon the underlying statement is taken as fact. This is why hearsay is not allowed in court. A stab with a survival type knife, like a K-bar with a serrated back side, would leave horrific wounds from just a stab. It would rip the flesh as it is withdrawn. But it is still a stab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa