Found Deceased MI- Dr. Bolek Payan 32, psychiatrist, seen leaving Henry Ford Hosp, veh fnd at his home Leoni Twp, no contct w/family or friends, Jackson, 22 Dec 2022

Sad outcome :( This case is eerily similar to Dr. Teleka Patrick who was also a psychiatrist in west Michigan (Kalamazoo). She was found in a body of water in Indiana. Missing Michigan doctor likely drowned, autopsy shows There was an active discussion of the case here on Websleuths.

Rest in peace, Dr. Payan.

My condolences to his friends and family! I was hoping for a better outcome. His specialization is so very tough, and it’s only become tougher since COVID. How awful for a young and hopeful young man, who had invested so much of his time and energy into helping others to be lost this way.

forgive me if this was stated, is obvious or later is reported one way or the other... this lands at random.

was this an accident, i.e., did he take a walk and slip in and was unable to get out?

perhaps no one knows yet or we are not privy, but just wondered if anything else was known.

forgive me if this was stated, is obvious or later is reported one way or the other... this lands at random.

was this an accident, i.e., did he take a walk and slip in and was unable to get out?

perhaps no one knows yet or we are not privy, but just wondered if anything else was known.
We have been discussing this all afternoon
Did he do this purposely?? But what an awful way to commit suicide if so.
He was a doctor so he would know that, IMO

Was he out walking and thought the ice on the pond was safe enough to walk on and accidently fell in ?? Possibility.. our lake has been frozen over but just yesterday, driving on the other side of the lake, we saw some open water YIKES !!

Was it something nefarious and someone else responsible and putting him in the pond ??

We do not know yet.. they are waiting for autopsy and tox reports and still investigating.

RIP Dr Bolek and many prayers to your friends, family and co-workers !!!

So so sorry to see this devastating update just now.
Dr. Payan was so young with such a future ahead of him helping others.

This hits hard....my daughter is in the medical field (trauma), ...so tough these days.
Rest in peace Dr. Payan.
Sincere condolences to his family and all who loved him.

The weather was getting really bad in that area on the day of his disappearance. Below freezing and wind chills making things worse. Plunging into an icy pond would make escaping very difficult. JMO

Healthcare workers are frequently attacked by patients, and less frequently by family members.
It is considered part of the job and is not reported to LE.

Depends on hospital. I have personally seen 2 patients and one family member arrested in the hospital, the patients upon discharge. The point is, doctors do get assaulted and threatened by patients. Do patients follow through once they leave the hospital? Rarely.

Regardless, my heart breaks for him and his family. None of us know what happened, but I hope it wasn't a patient or something related to his work. I agree with whoever said it's a bad way to die. I hope he just lost his footing and slipped. Doctors do have very high rates of suicide, unfortunately, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Depends on hospital. I have personally seen 2 patients and one family member arrested in the hospital, the patients upon discharge. The point is, doctors do get assaulted and threatened by patients. Do patients follow through once they leave the hospital? Rarely.

Regardless, my heart breaks for him and his family. None of us know what happened, but I hope it wasn't a patient or something related to his work. I agree with whoever said it's a bad way to die. I hope he just lost his footing and slipped. Doctors do have very high rates of suicide, unfortunately, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.
I agree. I've witnessed medical staff (RN's in my situation) slapped, kicked, spit on and even one family member who threatened he was going out to his vehicle to get a gun. We also had a family member stab another family member with a butter knife. Of the situations I witnessed they were reported to LE (and our hospital security) and several arrests were made.
Of course, this was over many years of working and in L&D. I can only imagine how much E.D. and psychiatric staff experience.

Authorities on Tuesday found the body of a Jackson County doctor missing since last week.

Dr. Bolek Payan, who works at Henry Ford Jackson Hospital, was last seen leaving the building Thursday, according to the Blackman-Leoni Public Safety Department. The agency provides police and fire services to both Blackman Township and Leoni Township.

Police said Payan's vehicle was found at his Leoni Township home, but he has had no contact with his employer, family or friends.

Divers recovered his body Tuesday from a pond on the property near his home, police said in a statement...

JACKSON, Mich. – A doctor who worked at Henry Ford Allegiance Health in Jackson and went missing last week has been found dead in a frozen pond near his home, according to officials...

Body found in lake​

Police announced Tuesday that divers discovered Payan’s body at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday in a pond near his home. After they didn’t find him on land, officials cut holes in the ice of a nearby frozen pond, and divers recovered his body in the water.

They believe he was dead before being reported missing, due to how cold the water would have been at the time...

Healthcare workers are frequently attacked by patients, and less frequently by family members.
It is considered part of the job and is not reported to LE.
It definitely is reported. It's like any other crime in that it can't be prosecuted if the victim doesn't wish to pursue things, which is not unusual in any environment.

I wonder if the dog ran out onto the ice, and the doctor followed it, thinking the ice was thick enough to support him and wanting to retrieve it, and crashed through the ice?

It definitely is reported. It's like any other crime in that it can't be prosecuted if the victim doesn't wish to pursue things, which is not unusual in any environment.

I wonder if the dog ran out onto the ice, and the doctor followed it, thinking the ice was thick enough to support him and wanting to retrieve it, and crashed through the ice?
According to this report, Dr. Payan's dogs had not been picked up from day care.

...“Bolek dropped his dogs at 8 a.m. He told us that he was going to pick them up at 6:30, he already fed them, and that he’ll feed them again when he picks them up at 6:30 that night,” said Nicole Keiser. “So for his truck to be here without coming to the house to pick up the dogs that would be out of character. Something happened and I don’t know what.”...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back