NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find this encouraging. The sealing part. It gives me hope that something in that warrant or the resulting seized items feels like a credible lead to LE, hence the seal. Fingers crossed LE has productive leads that eventually get us to answers.
Great point! I’ve been super worried that neither parent will talk and M will not be found. I’m so bothered by the idea that some sort of LE presence showed up at that house in the early days because of the fires when there might have been more evidence …but of course, how would they know something nefarious was going on? It haunts me, though.

At any rate, will rally round with the idea that LE found *something* that will lead them to M or force a confession.

The school noticed. The school called. The school tried to reach out. The school went for a home visit. The school was concerned. This was far beyond any effort made by the parents.

"After ten (10) accumulated unexcused absences, the principal shall review any report or investigation prepared by the school social worker/student assistance program in accordance with G.S. 115C-381."

Madalina was absent 10 school days, 11th missed day - guidance counselor and SRO planned home visit, 12th missed day - they went together to the home. No one answered the door. Truancy packet left. The mother called the school and arranged a meeting. She said that she would bring Madalina with her.

All states have different truancy laws and protocol to follow.

Do you have children? Have your children ever missed multiple days due to an illness? What about an illness such as Covid? Pretty common for students to miss a minimum of a week if they have Covid. IMO, Covid has changed things. Students are frequently missing an excess of a week. It wouldn't raise red flags like it might have prior to Covid. The whole family could have come down with Covid and be caring for each other.

I wish people would quit blaming the school. Bailey Middle School is a great school, with caring teachers and a wonderful Principal. The parents deserve ALL the blame.
The school is most certainly not at fault here. From all we know, they did everything any parent would expect a school to do, with a truant child.

There are 2 people facing charges, and neither of them work at the school.

I find this encouraging. The sealing part. It gives me hope that something in that warrant or the resulting seized items feels like a credible lead to LE, hence the seal. Fingers crossed LE has productive leads that eventually get us to answers.
If evidence was removed and destroyed, they had at least three-weeks to do that before LE became involved.

I am hopeful there was still plenty of evidence left behind in home and vehicles. Maybe LE found indications of criminal coverup. I wonder if parents replaced phones and computers.

Last edited:
Agreed, this is a move to protect the integrity of the investigation. There's something there, and they're keeping it to themselves, for now.

No question in my mind, one or both of them is directly responsible for disappearing this child.

jmo

Agreed, this is a move to protect the integrity of the investigation. There's something there, and they're keeping it to themselves, for now.

No question in my mind, one or both of them is directly responsible for disappearing this child.

jmo
Am I correct that CP and DC's defense attorneys will have copies of the search warrants to discuss with their clients? However, at this time LE is not required to reveal to defense any other discovery of evidence?

Am I correct that CP and DC's defense attorneys will have copies of the search warrants to discuss with their clients? However, at this time LE is not required to reveal to defense any other discovery of evidence?
Good question. I'm not really sure but my guess is that yes, their attorneys would have access to the warrants. Although the probable cause for the warrants won't be anything the parents didn't already know. i.e., "we're searching the house because we believe a., b., and c., may have taken place here".

And to be completely honest, the way internet "sleuths" (I hate they use that name) have gone completely off the flipping rails with cases lately, I'm GLAD the docs are sealed.

jmo

Good question. I'm not really sure but my guess is that yes, their attorneys would have access to the warrants. Although the probable cause for the warrants won't be anything the parents didn't already know. i.e., "we're searching the house because we believe a., b., and c., may have taken place here".

And to be completely honest, the way internet "sleuths" (I hate they use that name) have gone completely off the flipping rails with cases lately, I'm GLAD the docs are sealed.

jmo
I am glad the docs are sealed too. LE needs to investigate this case without public interference. These days, we are seeing more and more sealing of warrants because of public's belief in their "right to know". At one time, I was a huge supporter of FOI (freedom of Information act), That has all changed with intrusion of social media. moo

The backyard was dug and investigated by LE. If there was any indication of human remains, the coroner would have been called in. That has not happened.
Or there could be human remains left behind there that weren’t immediately identifiable. It’s possible rubble from the fire was sent to a lab for closer examination.

MOO

There have been 3 weeks within which nobody at that school gave a damn about Madalina's absence.
The fact that the absences took place around holidays did not help. I work in an affluent school system, and it is not unusual for families to take extended vacations around the Thanksgiving break. If the guidance counselor had come by the house to do a home visit, they were certainly concerned and following protocol.

jmo
My husband is a prosecutor and he said that the defense would get whatever they usually get following the state's discovery laws. Sealing the documents doesn't apply to them.

Or there could be human remains left behind there that weren’t immediately identifiable. It’s possible rubble from the fire was sent to a lab for closer examination.

MOO
The backyard fire likely contained evidence, possibly bloody evidence. Sadly, I believe M's remains are somewhere between NC and MI. moo

The backyard fire likely contained evidence, possibly bloody evidence. Sadly, I believe M's remains are somewhere between NC and MI. moo
Agreed, I don't think M was burned in the back yard, I think evidence of what happened to her, as well as evidence of what kind of lifestyle these two were living, is what went up in smoke.

jmo

I don’t find enough evidence yet to weigh in either way on the possible body disposal (if any). We don’t know the possible lab results of what was found in any rubble left from the fire/s. Nor do we know if CP actually even went to Michigan, as far as I know. MOO.

Last edited:
Agreed, I don't think M was burned in the back yard, I think evidence of what happened to her, as well as evidence of what kind of lifestyle these two were living, is what went up in smoke.

jmo
Oh yes. I guess that plywood enclosure in/off the kitchen remained in place because it seemed OK to them. It seems odd to me though.

Personally, I don’t find enough evidence yet to weigh in either way on the possible body disposal (if any). We don’t know the possible lab results of what was found in any rubble left from the fire/s. Nor do we know if CP actually even went to Michigan, as far as I know. All MOO though.
Getting back to fire rubble/human remains: MOO...We can deduce that a fire must be extremely large and hot and burn constantly at a high temp for several hours to reduce human remains to bone stage. Then the bones would likely have to be disposed of elsewhere. Bones tend not to burn well except in crematoriums. If LE discovered bones in fire rubble, the coroner would have been called there. And, we know the coroner wasn't called to scene. Additionally, the distinct odor of burning flesh would permeate the neighborhood, thus a neighbor would have called fire dept or LE. moo

Getting back to fire rubble/human remains: MOO...We can deduce that a fire must be extremely large and hot and burn constantly at a high temp for several hours to reduce human remains to bone stage. Then the bones would likely have to be disposed of elsewhere. Bones tend not to burn well except in crematoriums. If LE discovered bones in fire rubble, the coroner would have been called there. And, we know the coroner wasn't called to scene. Additionally, the distinct odor of burning flesh would permeate the neighborhood, thus a neighbor would have called fire dept or LE. moo
I agree. According to the Daily Mail:
The family of 11-year-old Madalina Cojocari was seen lighting a fire and torching couch cushions and other items that burned for days in their backyard, in the days after she disappeared but weeks before she was reported missing, DailyMail.com can reveal.

Neighbors recall seeing flames and smoke billowing from the yard of the Victoria Bay Drive home in late November, prompting calls to police and the fire department in Cornelius, North Carolina.

Reached by DailyMail.com late Wednesday, Cornelius Fire Chief Guerry Barbee acknowledged the blaze but refused to discuss specifics.

'I can't speak on that now because of the investigation,' he said.

So we don't know if they tried to burn the entire couch or just the cushions but either way I imagine the foam cushions must have produced a smoky, stinky plume. Still, the smell of burning flesh is distinctive and no one has described such an odor.

The burning supposedly took place after November 23/24. LE hasn't confirmed it but the Fire chief did so I consider it verified that *something* burned big enough to cause the neighbors to call it in.

Madalina's mother also told LE that a backpack and some clothes were missing, implying that M either ran away or someone packed a bag and took her <insert eye rolling emoji here>, again pointing to her husband since a stranger wouldn't take the time to pack up clothes. Possibly also burned in the fire IMO.

I thought by sealing the documents, the defence was not privy to them at this time?

iirc, that's just the public (and media.)

Parties with standing in the case -- attorneys on both sides -- have access.

In the state where I live, if your name is in a record you must have access as well as your attorney of record.

@Shamrock1 @PrairieWind are a couple of our attorneys, and better qualified than I to explain this!

Has there been mention of a town/city/county in Michigan as the destination/midpoint of CP's trip?

We do NOT sleuth family members, but Google Maps can be a great tool:

Crossing Ohio, if that's really where he went.

Charlotte to Detroit, about a 10 hour drive straight through:

Any of our posters live near this route?

@IceIce9 is in Indiana iirc, depends on where in Michigan -- if he went to Michigan at all -- CP was.
Just catching up in here !!

Happy New Year everyone !!

I live in Michigan and was wondering where he went to while here.

I will read on to see if anyone has responded as I thought about taking a road trip to wherever he traveled to.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members