ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 44

Status
Not open for further replies.
LaBar said that once Kohberger is extradited back to Idaho, he plans to ask the court for a public defender.

“He does not have the funding to get a private attorney,” LaBar said.

LaBar said he reached out to the Idaho Public Defense Commission to get an attorney “assigned as soon as possible.”

LaBar said he spoke to Kohberger and his parents, and because it is possible that Idaho prosecutors will seek the death penalty — which would increase the cost of trying the case — they wouldn’t be able to afford a private attorney.

Is it arrogance though or heedlessness?

I thought this bit was interesting, start of the article
Giacalone said he could personally recall only one other murder investigation in recent years in which a criminology student turned out to be the prime suspect.

In 2010, John Jay College criminology student Gary McGurk pleaded guilty to manslaughter for tying his girlfriend to a bed and slashing her throat, then bashing her head in with a hammer—but not before wrapping her skull in Saran Wrap “so there would be no blood,” the 24-year-old said in court. The 24-year-old victim Michelle Lee, who had also gone to John Jay, was working as a criminologist for the NYPD at the time of her death.
so link brings me here

Ex-lover pleads guilty in slaying of NYPD employee

Gary McGurk, 24, killed Michelle Lee in an orgy of violence last April, carving her up with a knife and smashing her head in with a hammer, before burning her chest with an iron.

“I struck the victim Michelle Lee in the head with a hammer,” McGurk told Queens Supreme Court Justice Gregory Lasak

Lasak asked McGurk, who had an on-again-off-again relationship with Lee, what happened after the hammer attack.

“Your Honor, I positioned her on the bed. I took her cell phone with me when I left her apartment. I took the Saran Wrap [which had been wrapped around her head] so there would be no blood,” McGurk intoned.

“It was on her head before you struck her in the head,” Lasak asked.

“Yes, your honor.”

McGurk was prodded by his lawyer Chris Renfroe to make another admission that ADA Charles Testagrossa insisted on as part of the deal.

“I burned her with an iron, your honor,” McGurk said.

“Did you do anything else to her body?”

“I positioned a knife in her neck, your honor.”

!!!

Just 2010. Criminology student.

Sick, evil person.

New article and new info!
BK allegedly stalked the girls for weeks before the murders.

Is this article really just a screenshot of an unnamed source of unknown origin?!

Good grief Daily Mail.

Why not just buy BK a round trip airline ticket? It would be cheaper, safer and quicker. If he really needs transportation while on break in PA, he can rent a car, uber, borrow the parents car, etc. Who drives 2500 miles home (5000 RT) for a 3 week break? There is something more to this.
Inspection and Safety Requirements
I agree with whoever posted that it's possible that the family needed to do the yearly inspection. I also don't find it all that odd that the father drove back with him. It could be out of caution for a long, cross-country drive or an opportunity to spend time with him.

Is this article really just a screenshot of an unnamed source of unknown origin?!

Good grief Daily Mail.
Yeah... and it's SO specific (naming grocery store) the cop mentioned would easily be identified by LE and get fired

IMO that article is rampant speculation, that screenshot could have come from anywhere. No different than the TikTok sleuths posting insane comments (very grateful for Websleuths and the tight moderation of that!)

I'll NEVER understand a person's attraction to a violent criminal.
The only thing I can understand is someone who knew him BEFORE the arrest and cannot believe they are capable so DENIAL and belief in their innocence, that I do understand but being attracted to a violent offender because they are violent and infamous that I will NEVER understand.
If someone is desperate to be attached to a famous/infamous person why not just stick to celebrities instead that aren't violent? Far more glamourous, right?
Weirdos will write to him so that they can post it on social media for clicks.

While I also think he will be convicted, my guess is that house is a MESS of unknown DNA from all of the many visitors who pass through. Unless LE has something damning like cutting himself and his blood mixing with victims', defense will argue that he was just a one-time partygoer who left innocuous DNA there on a separate visit. LE seems to have a lot of evidence tying him to the scene but IMO the DNA is going to be one of the items most hotly contested by defense
The police seem pretty sure he is the killer- I think the DNA they got from the bed, the victims, and/or fingernails. We know they will have to ignore all that DNA in different parts of the house. It is where the victims were actually murdered, that is the DNA that he cannot explain. At least that is my hope.

“Kohberger’s mother and father filed for bankruptcy twice, according to federal court records accessed through the Pacer website. Thomas Arntz, a former high school friend of Kohberger’s, told Daily Beast that his mother was a substitute teacher and his father worked in maintenance, calling them “genuinely kind people.”

**Im not sure Heavy is an approved news source, but I’ve seen this reported in several news articles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long time WebSleuths “listener”, first time “caller.” Anyone know if BK had a dog? This could explain (or be a convenient explanation for) a cross country drive for the holidays. Also might be a clue to explain Murphy’s safety.
After BK's arrest at his family's home in BA, reporters mentioned that they could hear dogs barking from within the home, although no one came to the door to give an interview. So we know there was at least one, possibly more, dog(s) at his family home.

I think what is meant by the poster is that he satisfied himself after the crime without literal sex.
Just my opinion

Catching up so forgive me if already suggested.

There is also the possibility it was spontaneous, if there was any sexual satisfaction and any DNA residue related to such an act. JMO.

Why not just buy BK a round trip airline ticket? It would be cheaper, safer and quicker. If he really needs transportation while on break in PA, he can rent a car, uber, borrow the parents car, etc. Who drives 2500 miles home (5000 RT) for a 3 week break? There is something more to this.
PA requires an annual inspection and emissions testing that can only be done in state at a certified inspection facility. The car may have needed the sticker. Been a long time since I lived in PA, but IIRC, you can't plate or insure your car without it.

His father said to a witness at an auto maintenance shop in PA on Dec 16 that BK was going back to Washington after Christmas.

What I found interesting in the article you posted (also linked below) is:

Kohberger’s father traveled with him from Washington state to Pennsylvania, according to the public defender and a person who claims to have interacted with the father and son earlier in December.

That person, who asked not to be identified, said they did not know the father and son but engaged in friendly conversation with them at an auto maintenance shop on December 16 in Pennsylvania, while the two were getting their Elantra serviced. (A separate person also confirmed to CNN the father and son did business at the location on December 16.)

The father told the individual he flew to Washington state and made the cross-country trip with Kohberger, adding his son would be traveling to the west coast alone after the holidays.

I wonder why they did that? I also wonder if this is the first time the father did that for/with BK. It just seems a little odd to me. I wouldn't have my parent fly out so they could make the drive to my parents house together.

Thank you, @KonaHonu for this link

I paid attention to the fact that Pennsylvanian own program is nr 9. Still, within 10 best programs. One would think that not relocating cross-country, to the state with lesser-known culture, would be a huge step while there is a program next door.

Of course, one has to match. Maybe that's what it was. However - it is just my personal question- I wonder if BK planned his "murders" and thought that having no connections whatever in that part of the US could help?

Something comes to mind about DNA, too. If you leave it at the spot (BK might have thought of such possibility, that it could happen) and LE gets it and runs through CODIS, given that BK's name is not uncommon in PA, there is a chance of a cousin match. Not so in Idaho or WA, I assume. Of course, there is Gedmatch and Parabon, but it takes time. I think that BK thought about DNA, and took precautions. It is just not that easy, to kill four people and not leave one of yourself at the place of crime.
Most students pursuing a doctoral degree will go to the school that meets their criteria for academics but also provides the best scholarship and/or financial aid package. BK may have applied to several doctoral programs, and may have been admitted to all, who knows. He may have ultimately selected the program that provided the best financial package, and still had a decent ranking and reputation in the crim academic community.

Does anyone recall what day, shortly after the murders, where 4 plainclothes detectives showed up at the house and it was reported the car they drove up in had Washington plates. Anyone have a link to the news article? Thx.

Wondering how LE will transport BK from PA to Idaho? Commercial airline? Vehicle? Does anyone here have experience with this subject?
DH and I discussed this yesterday. I doubt that authorities would risk losing the perp on any type of ground transportation that could take several days, so he will likely be flown to Idaho on a government/military plane accompanied by U.S. marshals. JMO

You are 100% correct...the 2011 Hyundai Elantra vs the 2015 Hyundai Elantra are virtually identical in measurements and design. Which makes me wonder why LE chose to specify that they are looking for a 2011 model purposely to give BK a false sense of comfort while they assembled more evidence. LE often has dozens of seasoned investigators inputting their knowledge and techniques together with unlimited resources.
I think He may have disguised his car as a 2011 or possibly stole a plate from a 2011-13 Elantra

That’s because blood samples are more expensive to procure. Requires a human with specific training who are limited and not always available. They cost more money. It ruins some patients experience because they are afraid of a blood draw. So it takes more time. So the lab can’t take as many samples as they could by just having someone spit in a tube.

They are in the business of making money after all.

Technology has come a long way to allow for the use of the relatively non invasive saliva to provide a dna profile.

But make no mistake about it. A pin needle drop of Saliva is in no way comparable to a pin needle size of Blood. You’ll always need a larger sample with Saliva and at crime scenes it’s not always as identifiable for sampling since it’s largely invisible. So most of the samples are blind.

That of course doesn’t mean it wasn’t saliva. It just makes it less likely that it was that. And if we are to believe reports/LE that there was no kind of SA that rules out sperm. And considering the profile you can extract from hair. That leaves blood or skin cells being the most likely sources of the DNA.
Hate to bring this up.. but just because there was no SA on the victims does not mean there was no suspect sperm DNA.

Just sayin'

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members