ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 46

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the vehicle issue, some commenters are homing in on the one thing we can not see accurately -- the number of spokes on spinning wheels at night. it is meaningless point since the things we can see are 1000% consistent with either a 2013 Elantra, or a 2015 one.

What we can see is not the spokes, nor the grill nor the exact shape of lights which are blurred , but the layout and geometry of doors, where the gas tank inlet cover is, the window angles, the fender and quarter panel shapes the wheel well positions: All virtually identical in 2011-13 compared to 2015

Elantra of years had several different types of wheels no just depending on year, but on trim level as well. The 2015 came with multiple types of wheels some five twist but also with ten no twist: https://www.cars.com/research/hyundai-elantra-2015/
Additionally used car dealers can end up putting anything on. If a dealer buys a car with bald tires it is often easier and cheaper to put full mounted half used set. Same with an end buyer. On top of that people in rural PA and rural Washington state frequently have spare mounted snow tire sets.

For anyone seeking information on the court procedures that will follow the suspects arrival in Idaho, the following link from the 4th Judicial District Court spells it out and is worth reading Criminal Case Process.

This link from the Idaho Supreme Court speaks to arraignment on indictment or information and is also worth reading Criminal Rule 10.

I have not found if the suspect has to be arrested by the MPD when he is returned in order to start the official process that will get him to the first appearance as stated in the first linked document so they can then set the arraignment hearing. I will keep looking and if anyone finds that information please post it.
Thank you very much!!!

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Heroin seems a bit extreme IMO. I have to say, I don’t know much at all about users, but I would suspect they wouldn’t ‘hold it together’ as much as BK appeared to. And because I know I will get comments on that, what I mean is, would he be able to hold down a job and study if using heroin? Even if the suggestions are past use, that’s a pretty impressive turnaround for someone addicted to arguably the hardest drug of all. MOO, could be wrong.
At some point, most addicts must take heroin to feel "normal". You'd be surprised what heroin users can manage to accomplish despite the drug. JMO

I will read and believe a lot of absolute garbage but I do not believe Mr. PhD is going around threatening guards that he will commit the same crimes against them as he's currently charged with when he disputes those charges. They are admissible admissions. :rolleyes:

That is possible, but the general rule is keep it simple. If you're right LE can possibly trace a purchase of that equipment to him. Also, they could trace the purchase of the debilitating substance some posters think he may have used. IMO he attacked blitz style and no one a chance to scream. The body goes into shock and normal reactions aren't possible or expected when in a state of shock.
Attacking them in the middle of the night when they were all in bed and likely asleep, quietly, quickly, and brutally (blitz style) with a big knife certainly seems like a huge tactical advantage, with likely anyone waking during the attacks not able to come fully awake and be too shocked to react normally.

However, 1 of the 2 people that were similarly attacked by someone with a knife in bed together in the middle of the night (around 3 am) did wake up and was able to fight their attacker off and survived: Cops probing link between University of Idaho murders and similar Oregon stabbing

In the case of X, E, M & K, since there were 4 of them and they were paired up on 2 different floors but were still possibly within earshot of eachother with open stairwell(s) and it being quiet in the middle of the night, at least X&E likely sharing a bed and possibly M&K, IMO, there would have been a more acute risk that one or more of the 4 could have been awakened in the middle of him stabbing them and/or their bedmate a few feet away, or their friend/housemate sleeping on the next floor. which seems possible based on comments about signs of defensive wounds in at least one of the victims. And in M & K's case, they may not have been in a deep sleep yet if it was indeed them making the 9 phone calls within an hour or so before LE has stated they believe they were killed.

Also, if an HVAC contractor came to their house after the killings, and presumably was ordered to check something with the HVAC system by LE for some reason, it's possible, IMO again, there was some indication from the wounds they suffered and/or where their bodies were found (e.g., people first called to the scene saying something like they'd "never seen anything like it and hope to never see anything like it again") that LE felt that degree of carnage and disarray at the scene isn't likely for the other people nearby to have been able to sleep through without cries/screams for help/calls to 911/running outside for help/or some evidence of semi-successful efforts to fight back, or there should have been time between the attacks on the 2 separate floors for one or more to have done more to try and stop him or call 911.

Which has led to speculation about them maybe all being drugged or gassed/disabled/unable to defend themselves or others nearby or hear what was going on or call for help -- to a degree that is outside the scope of "normal" within the encyclopedia of knowledge of this type of crime scene. For example, what if one upstairs and one downstairs, both of who were bigger and/or stronger than their bedmate and would have been expected to "come to" and try to fight him off suffered fewer injuries and/or had fewer defensive wounds compared to the others? This could indicate even the strongest of them most likely to be able to fight back were incapacitated by some other means beforehand (like being exposed to carbon monoxide) rather than simply being sleepy or in shock.

IMO, "the scream" a neighbor thought they heard around that time was one of them screaming while being viciously attacked or waking & witnessing their bedmate being attacked, even if it's been discounted by some (as a partier screaming or tires screeching) -- I haven't seen it be discounted as "unrelated" by LE, but I could have missed that, or LE is just not saying anything about it at this point to protect the integrity of the investigation.

They're still investigating and putting all the evidence together into a case against the suspect they have in custody with the prosecutorial team until the case goes to trial and they turn over all their evidence pre-trial, I believe, so they'll continue to be keeping mum on all details of the murders, and are doing a fantastic job, IMO. Godspeed to LE, and wishing their loved ones some small measure of comfort that LE has a suspect in custody.

Last edited:
I really doubt that the authorities will share exactly when and how BK will be extradited back to Idaho….but rather just announce that he is back there. Too much security concerns. moo

I think they'll share a little bit once he's ensconced in a cell in Moscow. Or maybe sooner, to ease public inquiry and worry.

I will read and believe a lot of absolute garbage but I do not believe Mr. PhD is going around threatening guards that he will commit the same crimes against them as he's currently charged with when he disputes those charges. They are admissible admissions. :rolleyes:
I agree we don't know if it's true, although if some version of it is, what if he's following a script of acting all crazy to force a mental health evaluation that may be to his advantage?

On my prior comments on drug users and drug addicts, I want to note I am not unsympathetic to them at all. I was a nicotine user for a decade and i know it is profoundly easy to get an addiction and extremely difficult to stop using.
What i am saying though however is that we know from brain scans of not just current, but former users opiate, opiod as well as methamphetamines', that there are areas of the brain damaged and that that damage persists. and that those areas harmed include decision making, consequence, impulse control, judgement areas.
I do fully agree with a earlier commenter that we should (and we are anyway) be moving to seeing and responding to hard drug use as an illness, rather than a per se crime.

Anyone with procedural insight know how the car will be handled? Will FBI process it in PA, or will it be sent to ID and processed there?
The main thing is chain of evidence and custody. Ideally where the vehicle is currently impounded would be the best option, with representatives of Moscow PD, FBI and PA present. JMO

Kaylee's dad has implied that she had a stalker, that her injuries were worse than the other 3 victims, and now he's alleging that there are connections between the suspect and Kaylee (updated to: he's looking for a connection).

From another perspective, the target - if it wasn't the home - would be one of the people who was expected to be at the house that night. The two girls sleeping on the first floor, Xana on the second floor and Madison on the third floor were expected to be there. Xana's boyfriend was a guest, and Kaylee had moved out so she too was a guest.

The two girls on the first floor are alive, so they were not the target. Xana and Madison both worked at the same restaurant, where it's possible they both met the suspect. They are more likely to be the target than either of the guests.
<modsnip: removed reference to social media> when I google vegan restaurants using Moscow, the restaurant two of them worked at is the first to come up, and in fact is also among first to come up if I put my location at his school in Washington state. So that is two connections right there.

Last edited by a moderator:

EXCLUSIVE: 'You come in here and I'll cut you.' Accused Idaho murderer Bryan Kohberger taunts guards, exposes himself and sings violent rap lyrics as he sits in jail awaiting extradition​

Thanks for sharing, but I take anything DM says with a grain of salt, particularly this.

This woman seems like an extremely unreliable source, desperate for her 15 minutes like the rest of the DM contributors coming out of the woodwork. I’m embarrassed for these people sharing all their ‘interesting’ tidbits.

Also, for someone like BK who from the limited info we have so far seems to have gone out of his way to try and deceive LE and the community, he doesn’t strike me as someone who would get into prison and start hurling violent abuse and exposing himself, particularly if reports are correct and he plans on exonerating himself.

For anyone seeking information on the court procedures that will follow the suspects arrival in Idaho, the following link from the 4th Judicial District Court spells it out and is worth reading Criminal Case Process.

This link from the Idaho Supreme Court speaks to arraignment on indictment or information and is also worth reading Criminal Rule 10.

I have not found if the suspect has to be arrested by the MPD when he is returned in order to start the official process that will get him to the first appearance as stated in the first linked document so they can then set the arraignment hearing. I will keep looking and if anyone finds that information please post it.
Thank you @Walela. I'm not following the Vallow-Daybell case and appreciate the Idaho links.

Given the gravity of the charges and profile of this case, I'm curious if the Court will also seek an indictment by the grand jury.

Does anybody recall if prosecutors used a GJ for Vallow-Daybell?

From the link above:

After a defendant has been arrested or summoned to appear on a criminal charge, he/she must appear before the court. The first appearance is a hearing in which the defendant is advised of his/her rights and the procedure that will be followed. If the defendant does not have an attorney at that time, he/she is given an opportunity to obtain one if desired. If the defendant cannot afford to hire an attorney, the court will consider whether or not to appoint an attorney to represent the defendant after determining the defendant's financial situation.

Though often referred to as an arraignment, a first appearance is a separate court event. A defendant charged with a felony may not enter a plea at the first appearance but must do so at the arraignment. This first appearance always takes place in the magistrate court. In misdemeanor cases, the first appearance and arraignment are combined so that the magistrate judge proceeds to take the defendant's plea and sets the case for trial if necessary.

In felony cases, the defendant must determine if he/she desires a preliminary hearing. If the defendant requests a preliminary hearing, one is set within the time limits prescribed by law; however, a defendant may waive these time requirements if he/she desires.

A preliminary hearing is held only on felony cases and is conducted before a magistrate judge. At this hearing, the prosecuting attorney presents what evidence he/she may have to show that there is probable cause (reason) to believe that a crime has been committed and that the defendant committed the crime. If the prosecutor convinces the judge with that information, the defendant is "bound over"; that is to say, the case is referred to the district court for further action. If the prosecutor does not make an adequate showing at the preliminary hearing, the magistrate judge may dismiss the case or the charge may be reduced to a less serious offense, and the defendant will be sentenced accordingly.

If a defendant is bound over to the district court on a felony charge, he/she must then appear for arraignment before a district judge. At the arraignment in district court, the defendant is again advised of his/her rights and of the procedures the court will follow from that time forward.

It is at this stage of the proceeding that the felony defendant may enter a plea. It is also the point that bond will be set for the defendant if it was not set at the probable cause hearing. If the defendant pleads not guilty, the court will set the case for trial.

The two girls on the first floor are alive, so they were not the target. Xana and Madison both worked at the same restaurant, where it's possible they both met the suspect. They are more likely to be the target than either of the guests.
SBMFF

The one thing that's come to mind for me is perhaps those sleeping on the 1st floor were safe because he didn't enter the house through the front door, perhaps he entered through the sliding patio door which is on the 2nd floor.

Approved vid showing house layout:

I wonder how much involvement Kohberger actually had with Dennis Rader (if any)... is it certain? It seems likely there were Desales instructor references/discussion... and, it's possible he became fixated on BTK.

Interestingly, IIRC, Rader didn't sexually assault any of the victims but his semen was left at the crime scenes. I've wondered if Kohberger did the same (although, considering the time frame of these murders, it would have been... uhmmm... quick. :oops:)

I felt so sad for Rader's daughter while watching that interview :(
It is absolutely not certain. I doubt he had any, but don’t even care. The media seems to be desperate to connect the two individuals. Why? Who cares?

If BK is in fact guilty of these murders, he acted out of his own volition.

I guess it being a long holiday weekend, people are trying to dig up something notorious to get clicks. The daughter has nothing to feel guilty about. I don’t even understand why she’s talking publicly so much about her father in relation to this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304