IL IL - Carol Rofstad, 21, ISU student, Normal, 22 Dec 1975

Luciano: Convicted killer William Reinbold again tries to get out of prison
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.galesburg.com/news/20190128/luciano-convicted-killer-william-reinbold-again-tries-to-get-out-of-prison%3ftemplate=ampart

The prosecutor left a phone message, saying he wanted to talk about William "The Hammer" Reinbold.

It had to be one of two developments. He was either dead or somehow trying again to get out of prison.

As long as Reinbold, 66, still draws a breath, he remains a public danger — such has been his uncanny knack with the law. As one state's attorney said years ago, "William Reinbold is a convicted murderer who needs to die in prison."

For the brutal and fatal 1988 bludgeoning of 21-year-old Mary Clarke in Farmington, Reinbold is serving a murder sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. Further, years back, an appellate court ruled that he had run out of appeals.

But guess what? He is appealing again. And though the grounds seem shaky, you can't be too sure when dealing with someone as crafty and evil as Reinbold. Before the Clarke murder, Reinbold was a suspect in the murder of one woman and the disappearance of another, but he sidestepped prosecution. And after the Clarke murder, despite vigorous prosecution, he managed two big legal victories: a retrial and a sentence reduction.

That's why I got the call from the prosecutor. Charles Zalar, who heads the special prosecution unit for the Illinois Office of the State's Attorney Appellate Prosecutor, asked for my help in reaching Clarke's family, to warn them of the appeal. As you might guess, they're livid.

"This is a bunch of bull," said Malinda Gray, 49, Clarke's younger sister. "If he gets out, he'll be right back at it, killing people."

Clarke's older sister, 54-year-old Tina Smith, said, "He can dream. But the lawyers in the Illinois' legal system are smarter than him."

No doubt. But Reinbold does have remarkably good fortune with the legal system.

Not that he is an infallible criminal mastermind. He was convicted in 1970 of aggravated battery and burglary for stabbing a woman in Elgin and burglarizing a cosmetology school. In 1978 and 1980, he was convicted of a series of assaults in California in which he sprayed or doused women with liquid chemicals.

But he has sometimes slipped out of the grasp of the law. He was arrested and charged in connection with the 1977 disappearance of a young woman in the southern Illinois town of Harrisburg, but he later was released. He also was suspected, but not charged, in bludgeoning attacks on young women in Elgin and California. Most infamously, he long has been the suspect in the 1983 murder of Kimberly McClaskey, 17, of Canton.

Why the hate against women? Authorities later discovered that as an adolescent Reinbold, apparently out of frustration with his heavy-handed father, would sneak up behind girls and whack them with boards. Investigators also found out that in high school, he yearned for a petite, brunette cheerleader, a fixation that ended with his trying to strangle her. Luckily, a teacher stepped in and saved her life. Reinbold was kicked out of school and sent to a juvenile home.

Not that he was rehabbed much — certainly not enough to spare Mary Clarke.

Born in 1967, Mary was a sickly baby. Because of severe allergies, she fought for life for over a year. She won that battle. But 20 years later, she couldn't beat William Reinbold.

The day after Christmas 1988, Mary Clarke and her husband, David Clarke, — married about 18 months — drove from their home in Hanna City to Farmington. There, at 5:30 p.m., she dropped him off at his job at Ladd's Food Mart, while she went across the street to wash clothes at the empty Brite Wash laundry.

At 7 p.m., David Clarke walked over to the laundry to visit his wife. There, he found blood on the floor and their clothing in the machine. He alerted police, who seven hours later discovered her lifeless body in a ditch 2 1/2 miles to the north, in Knox County.

There were no signs of rape or robbery. It seemed to be a senseless crime with no answers — even after the early-February arrest of Reinbold, a London Mills lathe operator. A stranger to Clarke, he delivered a dozen pry-bar blows to her head, fracturing her skull and driving bone into her brain. Why? The only theory was his decades-long hate for petite brunettes.

Luciano: Convicted killer William Reinbold again tries to get out of prison

The prosecutor left a phone message, saying he wanted to talk about William "The Hammer" Reinbold.

It had to be one of two developments. He was either dead or somehow trying again to get out of prison.

As long as Reinbold, 66, still draws a breath, he remains a public danger — such has been his uncanny knack with the law. As one state's attorney said years ago, "William Reinbold is a convicted murderer who needs to die in prison."

For the brutal and fatal 1988 bludgeoning of 21-year-old Mary Clarke in Farmington, Reinbold is serving a murder sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. Further, years back, an appellate court ruled that he had run out of appeals.

But guess what? He is appealing again. And though the grounds seem shaky, you can't be too sure when dealing with someone as crafty and evil as Reinbold. Before the Clarke murder, Reinbold was a suspect in the murder of one woman and the disappearance of another, but he sidestepped prosecution. And after the Clarke murder, despite vigorous prosecution, he managed two big legal victories: a retrial and a sentence reduction.

That's why I got the call from the prosecutor. Charles Zalar, who heads the special prosecution unit for the Illinois Office of the State's Attorney Appellate Prosecutor, asked for my help in reaching Clarke's family, to warn them of the appeal. As you might guess, they're livid.

"This is a bunch of bull," said Malinda Gray, 49, Clarke's younger sister. "If he gets out, he'll be right back at it, killing people."

Clarke's older sister, 54-year-old Tina Smith, said, "He can dream. But the lawyers in the Illinois' legal system are smarter than him."

No doubt. But Reinbold does have remarkably good fortune with the legal system.

Not that he is an infallible criminal mastermind. He was convicted in 1970 of aggravated battery and burglary for stabbing a woman in Elgin and burglarizing a cosmetology school. In 1978 and 1980, he was convicted of a series of assaults in California in which he sprayed or doused women with liquid chemicals.

But he has sometimes slipped out of the grasp of the law. He was arrested and charged in connection with the 1977 disappearance of a young woman in the southern Illinois town of Harrisburg, but he later was released. He also was suspected, but not charged, in bludgeoning attacks on young women in Elgin and California. Most infamously, he long has been the suspect in the 1983 murder of Kimberly McClaskey, 17, of Canton.

Why the hate against women? Authorities later discovered that as an adolescent Reinbold, apparently out of frustration with his heavy-handed father, would sneak up behind girls and whack them with boards. Investigators also found out that in high school, he yearned for a petite, brunette cheerleader, a fixation that ended with his trying to strangle her. Luckily, a teacher stepped in and saved her life. Reinbold was kicked out of school and sent to a juvenile home.

Not that he was rehabbed much — certainly not enough to spare Mary Clarke.

Born in 1967, Mary was a sickly baby. Because of severe allergies, she fought for life for over a year. She won that battle. But 20 years later, she couldn't beat William Reinbold.

The day after Christmas 1988, Mary Clarke and her husband, David Clarke, — married about 18 months — drove from their home in Hanna City to Farmington. There, at 5:30 p.m., she dropped him off at his job at Ladd's Food Mart, while she went across the street to wash clothes at the empty Brite Wash laundry.

At 7 p.m., David Clarke walked over to the laundry to visit his wife. There, he found blood on the floor and their clothing in the machine. He alerted police, who seven hours later discovered her lifeless body in a ditch 2 1/2 miles to the north, in Knox County.

There were no signs of rape or robbery. It seemed to be a senseless crime with no answers — even after the early-February arrest of Reinbold, a London Mills lathe operator. A stranger to Clarke, he delivered a dozen pry-bar blows to her head, fracturing her skull and driving bone into her brain. Why? The only theory was his decades-long hate for petite brunettes.

My theory is stated above, IMO Reinbold is responsible. I’d be happy to assist if I can be of help. Lori and Carol deserve justice. MOO

I would be more than happy to work with you on Carol's case. Your suspect is very interesting. Bloomington/Normal would definitely be within his time frame and territory. I definitely want to find out more on him. I was just thinking of a website linked to a Facebook page to include information we uncover plus make it easy for people to follow. Let me know how you would like to proceed. A quick note, Brewe Ha's Bar and Grille is located where the Vitesse bicycle shop was located. The Cellar was located west of where the circle is now. I have a good friend that really knows our area well. I can check with her on specifics. I look forward to working with you and hopefully we can come up with some answers.

I would be more than happy to work with you on Carol's case. Your suspect is very interesting. Bloomington/Normal would definitely be within his time frame and territory. I definitely want to find out more on him. I was just thinking of a website linked to a Facebook page to include information we uncover plus make it easy for people to follow. Let me know how you would like to proceed. A quick note, Brewe Ha's Bar and Grille is located where the Vitesse bicycle shop was located. The Cellar was located west of where the circle is now. I have a good friend that really knows our area well. I can check with her on specifics. I look forward to working with you and hopefully we can come up with some answers.
Sounds great. I’m not on Facebook but I can help from the other angles i.e., website etc.

[URL='https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/83352752/carol-ann-rofstad#']
83352752_138850214154.jpg
[/URL]
Carol Ann Rofstad, age 21
Murdered 22 December 1975

BIRTH 10 Mar 1954
Elk Grove Village, Cook County, Illinois, USA
DEATH 24 Dec 1975 (aged 21)
Peoria, Peoria County, Illinois, USA
BURIAL
Mount Olive Cemetery
Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA

LINKS

https://truecrimediva.com/carol-rofstad/

Carol Ann Rofstad (1954-1975) - Find a Grave...

WGLT | By Lyndsay Jones December 6, 2022 rbbm
1673779157549.png

''Roach said she wants to see updated DNA testing done on a potential murder weapon found near Carol Rofstad's body. Rofstad, last seen walking home on Dec. 22, 1975 from what is now The Garlic Press to her sorority house on South Fell, was found around noon on Dec. 23. Reports said Rofstad was unconscious and had been badly beaten; nearby was an 18-inch railroad tie that was covered in blood. Rofstad died a day later, on Christmas Eve.

The railroad tie is what Roach would like, potentially, to see retested for evidence.

The case files, she said, show that "in the early 2000's, Normal Police sent in evidence — I'm not quite sure what — to the FBI for analysis."

"The results of those tests have never been released publicly, and they're not in the case files," she added. "It's been two decades since the testing; the technology for extraction of DNA, for degraded DNA — all of this stuff has blossomed within even the past five years and the technology is so much better than it used to be."

New article about Carol's case in my local news today

New article about Carol's case in my local news today
TY, from link.. rbbm.
''The Illinois State Police, in a post for cold cases on their website, said “the suspected murder weapon, an 18-inch piece of railroad tie, was found nearby. Rofstad wasn’t found until roughly 12 hours after the attack . . . two men, one of whom carried a club, were seen between 10 p.m. and 10:15 p.m. on December 22, 1975. Both were white males and between the ages of 18 and 25.”
carol-rofstad.jpg

According to the state police website, most students had left for the holiday break when the attack occurred. Rofstad had stayed to work at a retail store. Money was found in her purse and there was no signs of sexual assault.''

''The department is asking for the public’s help in solving the case. Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Nicole Bruno at nbruno@normal.org or by calling (309) 454-9702. One can also provide an anonymous tip by downloading the Normal PD App and sharing your information anonymously.''

TY, from link.. rbbm.
''The Illinois State Police, in a post for cold cases on their website, said “the suspected murder weapon, an 18-inch piece of railroad tie, was found nearby. Rofstad wasn’t found until roughly 12 hours after the attack . . . two men, one of whom carried a club, were seen between 10 p.m. and 10:15 p.m. on December 22, 1975. Both were white males and between the ages of 18 and 25.”
carol-rofstad.jpg

According to the state police website, most students had left for the holiday break when the attack occurred. Rofstad had stayed to work at a retail store. Money was found in her purse and there was no signs of sexual assault.''

''The department is asking for the public’s help in solving the case. Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Nicole Bruno at nbruno@normal.org or by calling (309) 454-9702. One can also provide an anonymous tip by downloading the Normal PD App and sharing your information anonymously.''
It was initially reported that the murder weapon was an 18-inch piece of railroad tie, however, that is untrue, we believe it was just a piece of wood/log, but we will never know besides pictures obtained from FOIA since police lost it. And we cannot say for certain she was sexually assaulted. Her pantyhose and skirt were found around her ankles. A rape kit was not conducted as hospital staff said she had a tampon in and results would be inconclusive (not true).

Normal, IL – In a renewed effort to solve a decades-old mystery, the Normal Police Department in Illinois has reopened the cold case of Carol Rofstad’s murder.

According to the Normal Police Department, the cold case murder of Carol Rofstad, who was attacked on December 22, 1975, outside her off-campus sorority house in Normal, Illinois, is receiving renewed attention. Rofstad, a young woman at the time, succumbed to her injuries on Christmas Eve, two days post-attack.

1706035020360.png

'Carol Rofstad​

Carol Rofstad, who was 21 when she was killed, lived in Normal, IL while attending Illinois State University. She was found beaten unconscious about noon December 23, 1975, outside her sorority house at 602 S. Fell Street. The suspected murder weapon, an 18-inch piece of railroad tie, was found nearby. Rofstad wasn't found until roughly 12 hours after the attack. She died Christmas Eve as a result of head injuries.

Contact Information: Anyone with information in this case can call the Normal Police Department at (309) 454-9526, or Crime Stoppers of McLean County at (309) 828-1111.

Read More: These Are The Top 20 Unsolved Cold Cases in Illinois | These Are The Top 20 Unsolved Cold Cases in Illinois

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back