UT - Family of 8 found dead in home by gunshot in Enoch, Jan 2023

As I feared, one family. School district acknowledging the children are enrolled students and they will be providing counseling.

A family of three adults and five children were found shot to death Wednesday inside a home in rural southwest Utah, officials said.

Officers learned of the shooting deaths after responding to a welfare check at a home in Enoch City, which is about 245 miles south of Salt Lake City, according to a news release from Enoch City officials. All of the bodies were found inside the home, the release noted.

Enoch City Manager Rob Dotson said the community was sent reeling by news of the eight bodies and that the deceased — all members of one family — were well known in the southern Utah town.

A family of three adults and five children were found shot to death Wednesday inside a home in rural southwest Utah, officials said.

Officers learned of the shooting deaths after responding to a welfare check at a home in Enoch City, which is about 245 miles south of Salt Lake City, according to a news release from Enoch City officials. All of the bodies were found inside the home, the release noted.
...city officials said they don’t believe there is an ongoing threat to the public, underscoring there are no suspects at large.

Sounds like a family annihilator. I wonder if it's a straight up domestic violence situation, or if there's cultishness involved. (I was raised in a Mormon household, and there's a lot of weird in the heart of it, let alone the fringes.) They haven't said it's a Mormon family, but with five kids, there's a good chance of it.

MOO

SBM
Community members said they were a typical, loving Latter-day Saint family that was active in the community. The father was an insurance agent. But according to court records, the wife recently filed for divorce.

Iron County School District sent out a letter identifying five of the victims as students within the district.
# More at link

SBM
Community members said they were a typical, loving Latter-day Saint family that was active in the community. The father was an insurance agent. But according to court records, the wife recently filed for divorce.

Iron County School District sent out a letter identifying five of the victims as students within the district.
# More at link
IMO. And there it is... filed for divorce and that triggers the annihilator. So sad and tragic. :(

SBM

# More at link
Divorce is a massive deal for an LDS family. I can only imagine how bad things were in that family for her to get to the point of filing.

We were shunned when my parents separated. I remember, distinctly, one young mother refusing to let me touch her baby, like it was 'catching'. The whole religion is structured around the perfection of the nuclear family, and when it goes wrong... let's just say a lot of judgement gets thrown around.

And, what most people don't realise about Mormons is that they marry for 'time and all eternity'. If someone loses a partner to death, they can remarry, but for a woman, that marriage can't be performed in the Temple and won't be recognised in the afterlife, whereas a man can have as many marriages in the Temple as he likes if he's a widower, and they all count, because polygamy still exists in the mainstream church, just after death.

The only way for a woman to be able to remarry and have it 'count' is to be granted a temple divorce by the church, and this is done rarely. You need a really, really good reason. It's an intrusive, courtlike process. Basically, your husband has to do something worthy of excommunication.

Basically, tl;dr, divorce is a massive deal, and just the loss of face from a civil divorce might be enough to trigger an abusive spouse.

My opinion, and experiences, only, but the Church is pretty open about the central pivot of family, it's why they're obsessed with genealogy, and their Proclamation to the World on the family is easily Googlable.

Last edited:
Divorce is a massive deal for an LDS family. I can only imagine how bad things were in that family for her to get to the point of filing.

We were shunned when my parents separated. I remember, distinctly, one young mother refusing to let me touch her baby, like it was 'catching'. The whole religion is structured around the perfection of the nuclear family, and when it goes wrong... let's just say a lot of judgement gets thrown around.

And, what most people don't realise about Mormons is that they marry for 'time and all eternity'. If someone loses a partner to death, they can remarry, but for a woman, that marriage can't be performed in the Temple and won't be recognised in the afterlife, whereas a man can have as many marriages in the Temple as he likes if he's a widower, and they all count, because polygamy still exists in the mainstream church, just after death.

The only way for a woman to be able to remarry and have it 'count' is to be granted a temple divorce by the church, and this is done rarely. You need a really, really good reason. It's an intrusive, courtlike process. Basically, your husband has to do something worthy of excommunication.

Basically, tl;dr, divorce is a massive deal, and just the loss of face from a civil divorce might be enough to trigger an abusive spouse.

My opinion, and experiences, only, but the Church is pretty open about the central pivot of family, it's why they're obsessed with genealogy, and their Proclamation to the World on the family is easily Googlable.
Thank you for sharing your insight.

Do we know who the third adult was?
I'm guessing it's going to be a parent of one of the adult couple, a sibling of one of the adult couple, or a friend of the married couple. It's possible that someone lived with them, or that one spouse felt safer with a friend or relative staying over, or needed help with the children, if the other spouse had moved out.

I guess another possibility is that it's a new partner of one of the adult couple, but until we get more information that suggests that the couple had been separated for a while or there had been infidelity, I'm less inclined to go that way. It's not impossible, but if - for example - the husband had been kicked out and the wife had moved her new partner in, in a heavily Mormon community that small? It would be all anybody would have been talking about. All the reporters would have been dished that tea already (except not tea, because Mormons don't drink that, so, pick your noncaffeinated bevvy of choice). It's possible if that is the case, it's all over social media, but I don't do that. I just hang out here. It's nicer. *blows kisses to the mods*

MOO

@iamshadow21 Those were mostly my thoughts as well, but didn't know if it had been stated somewhere I may have missed. Thank you!

Just unfathomable and tragic.
No, as far as I know, no confirmation, it's early days. I vacillate between all the possibilities I suggested. With what little we know, I don't think any is more likely than the other right now. We may get articles in the next few days confirming the family identities, and the probable offender/s.

It took a little time for info to be released about the recent similar annihilation event in Broken Arrow, too.

OK - 8 dead in fire, being investigated as homicide, Broken Arrow, Oct 27, 2022

MOO

According to St. George Utah News, incident call came at 1:45 pm on 4th. Someone called in a welfare check. The first day of school for Iron County (see below) after the winter break was the 4th. The possibility exists that the schools initiated the welfare check after non attendance by students and inability to contact parents. This also leads to wondering how long ago this happened. So devastating for the family, friends, community and schools to grieve like this after the holidays.

According to St. George Utah News, incident call came at 1:45 pm on 4th. Someone called in a welfare check. The first day of school for Iron County (see below) after the winter break was the 4th. The possibility exists that the schools initiated the welfare check after non attendance by students and inability to contact parents. This also leads to wondering how long ago this happened. So devastating for the family, friends, community and schools to grieve like this after the holidays.

I have a horrible feeling this might have been a 'Christmas present', but I really, really hope I'm proven wrong.

I hope those kids had one last safe, happy Christmas, without fear or pain.

And I'm going to step back for tonight, because I'm upsetting myself, and I'm just so angry at adults who take their frustration, anger, and need for control out on children who were completely dependent on them and who deserved to have a whole life, not a box in the ground.

Take care tonight, folks. Hug your kids, if you've got 'em.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back