CA CA - La Habra Hts, WhtFem 14-20, 584UFCA, peace symbol earrings, clothes, blue tennis shoes, Sep'73

I always wonderd if this John doe could be connected to this case.La Habra Heights and Hacienda Heights are right next to each other.The peace symbol earrings on the jane doe.The john doe had "Peace"embroidered on the bottom left leg and love on the bottom right leg. 865UMCA 584UFCA

Was reading a previous article about the Jane Doe. It included a news release from the LA County Sheriff's office and had stated that the UID was found in Hacienda Heights. La Habra Heights and Hacienda Heights mesh together since it is a more woodsy and hilly area of SoCal. So maybe reports were confused.?

And regarding the John Doe found with the peace symbol I don't feel as if it is related. It is definitely odd that they were wearing the same clothing but, under my impression, the Jane Doe had bought cheaper and more affordable clothing. And especially since peace signs and hippie wear was extremely popular it was a mere coincidence.

I was very confused to as why she was found with a sweater and jeans since her time of death was around the Summer Time in Southern California. If you are from SoCal or have ever visited in the summer you know that gets terribly hot. I had found a website that shows the weather in 1973, daily, weekly, monthly. From May-Sept. the temperature never got higher than 90 degrees so that makes sense to as why she was found with the heavier clothing.

I was very confused to as why she was found with a sweater and jeans since her time of death was around the Summer Time in Southern California. If you are from SoCal or have ever visited in the summer you know that gets terribly hot. I had found a website that shows the weather in 1973, daily, weekly, monthly. From May-Sept. the temperature never got higher than 90 degrees so that makes sense to as why she was found with the heavier clothing.
I was thinking that it could have also been due to the temperatures at night getting cooler. If she was near water with the wind being even chiller....

Only two rule outs on namus:

Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs # MP5959
Rose Cole, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact: July 1, 1973
State CA
County Alameda
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs # MP6528
Sherry Pickle, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact May 16, 1972
State CA
County San Diego

I have no clue if is this is completely accurate or not but had found it on another website with the same information on the NCMEC flier with this composite.
0_1426b3b16f6e8a0b129a7583d508bee7.jpeg

Worth noting that she was estimated to be 5'-2" and 100lbs, which is kind of small. It may have been more difficult for her body to retain warmth even in warmer weather. Just a thought.

Was looking at the area in which the UID was found and it is in Turnball Canyon. The main entrances to Turnball Canyon are Whittier and Hacienda Heights. She was found by a fire road but she could have simply been thrown especially since she was so small. Due to this, I believe the person who killed her was a local from La Habra, Whittier, La Habra Heights, or Hacienda Heights. Or the killer had lived in the area before and knew it was secluded area and gets pitch black at night.

I think they're both related to these killers they mainly killed girls but occasionally robbed males and killed them I think these guys moved around here Rancho Cucamonga, Garden Grove area you can see the bodies are being dumped in the same general area from 1978 to 2002 the last one I know of is Rebecca Callahan 5/12/2002 Averted Justice Gary Collins on 8/27/78, Tammy Peterson 14 years old on 12/22/78, Rena Harris 4/9/1980, Diane Brown 1/01/81
Nikki Ann Tollenger 9/7/85, Mom gets dreaded news about missing daughter Diane Francis Gurule on 9/25/85 She went missing from Varsity Billiards in Norwalk, CA she was seen talking to someone in a porcsh and later seen getting into a van and was found strangled in an industrial area in Garden Grove. Maria Reyes 1/4/2002, Rebecca Callahan 5/12/2002, and 22ufca, and there could be a lot more! The rest of these girls are listed on this site. Homicide Cold Cases – San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department
Was reading a previous article about the Jane Doe. It included a news release from the LA County Sheriff's office and had stated that the UID was found in Hacienda Heights. La Habra Heights and Hacienda Heights mesh together since it is a more woodsy and hilly area of SoCal. So maybe reports were confused.?

And regarding the John Doe found with the peace symbol I don't feel as if it is related. It is definitely odd that they were wearing the same clothing but, under my impression, the Jane Doe had bought cheaper and more affordable clothing. And especially since peace signs and hippie wear was extremely popular it was a mere coincidence.

Last edited:

Right along the coast the cold ocean current keeps the area cool, even in summer. A few years ago, on an early summer trip to California, we met some friends for dinner in Newport Beach, and I was surprised at how cool the temperature was. I had to put on a jacket!

Right along the coast the cold ocean current keeps the area cool, even in summer. A few years ago, on an early summer trip to California, we met some friends for dinner in Newport Beach, and I was surprised at how cool the temperature was. I had to put on a jacket!
It does get pretty cold at night especially. This could mean she got taken at night or around the coastal area. I live near wear her body was found and it does get hot in the day but chilly at night especially in Turnball Canyon (where her body was found).

I think they're both related to these killers they mainly killed girls but occasionally robbed males and killed them I think these guys moved around here Rancho Cucamonga, Garden Grove area you can see the bodies are being dumped in the same general area from 1978 to 2002 the last one I know of is Rebecca Callahan 5/12/2002 Averted Justice Gary Collins on 8/27/78, Tammy Peterson 14 years old on 12/22/78, Rena Harris 4/9/1980, Diane Brown 1/01/81
Nikki Ann Tollenger 9/7/85, Mom gets dreaded news about missing daughter Diane Francis Gurule on 9/25/85 She went missing from Varsity Billiards in Norwalk, CA she was seen talking to someone in a porcsh and later seen getting into a van and was found strangled in an industrial area in Garden Grove. Maria Reyes 1/4/2002, Rebecca Callahan 5/12/2002, and 22ufca, and there could be a lot more! The rest of these girls are listed on this site. Homicide Cold Cases – San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department
The manner in which these two victims is similar but greatly different. The Jane Doe was found towards the bottom of a canyon in a shallow grave. She also was not mentioned to be found with any shell casings present either in here autospy or in the area surrounding her body. The John Doe was found in a ravine (similarity) but was found shot to death and not in a shallow grave. I do agree that the suggestion of a crime of opportunity (robbery) as you mentioned likely happened do to blood being found on the street near where his body was found. I believe (pure speculation) that the Jane Doe's murder was a crime of opportunity but not with the same motives as the John Doe's was.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current NamUs exclusion list for this Jane Doe?

2 Missing Person Exclusions

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP5959Rose Cole
Date of Last ContactJuly 01, 1973
StateCA
CountyAlameda

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP6528Sherry Pickle
Date of Last ContactMay 16, 1972
StateCA
CountySan Diego

"Body found," Daily Press [Victorville, CA], 7 September 1973, A3.
Body found_ (3).jpg
Sheriff's deputies revealed Thursday that the body of a girl between 14 and 18 years old who had been dead up to two months was found in a shallow grave in the La Habra Heights area.

The find was actually made by a horseback rider Wednesday night but the body was not removed until daybreak.

Deputies said the girl had short, light brown hair and was wearing brown corduroy pants, a blue top, and white tennis shoes.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ecdub
Back