ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not blame the surviving roommate. She could be in extreme shock. also we can't emphasize enough that this was undergrad off campus housing and residents could have been desensitized to seeing and hearing all kinds of things, certainly including unknown guests in the house at all hours and all kinds of noises. I did not read that she saw him with a dripping knife. Dark clothes des not mean anything bad. And wearing a mask over nose and mouth is common.

I will say what is notable about it though is the defense attorneys will make something of it attempting to damage her credibility.

Since she's mentioned in the PC does this mean she'll likely be called as a witness? The way I see it is that she possibly has since moved her mattress onto her parents' bedroom floor and sleeps with a light on and is never left alone. jmhoo

This is a SS from the virtual tour of the house. D's bedroom on the far left, in the middle are the steps leading up to the 3rd floor and on the far right we have the sliding door exit. Where was D standing when he walks toward her and out the sliding door?

Screenshot 2023-01-05 3.20.45 PM.png

Virtual Tour of 1122 King Road, Moscow, Idaho

Last edited by a moderator:

I am trying to catch up, but going down in flames fast over here. I was wondering the same thing about why he chose that night. Now that we now how often he went by the house, maybe he just kept going by until there was a night with no party. All those drives by might have been him looking for the best window of time. JMOO

Or possibly:

1. The LE said the flatmates rang it in the next day at noon but that was a ploy to deceive BK and put him into a false sense of security.
2. DM may have been the unconscious one due to shock and it was BF that rang LE. I did find it surprising when LE said they were called to reports of an unconscious person - I’m sure you would be able to tell if the person was unconscious or had been stabbed (due to blood).

IMO.

Either way the flatmates are victims. They will be scarred for life.
All that arose from the completely unsubstantiated rumor based narrative that a survivor saw the bodies and fainted -- despite their being nothing to suggest that whatsoever.

Firstly unresponsive could easily mean the surviving roommates were knocking on their roommates doors, and not getting a response. If you look at various 911 transcripts, the 911 operator will very often ask there is someone who is "not responsive" they mean unconscious but the caller could interpret that any number of ways.
Also we have the fact that others before 911 were called first. for example perhaps the surviving roommates thought or know that one victims' friend or relative nearby had the code to open the door to the unresponsive roommates room.

From my experience in undergrad I would have assumed anything but a mass murder had occurred.

After reading the PCA, IMO, two were killed by means of slitting their throats and the other two through stabbing. I believe this is what SG meant by very different means of death.

XK and EC were killed with the edge of the weapon which means a slit throat or decapitation. KG and MM were killed by stab wounds. This makes me think KG and MM were targets and XK and EC were caught in the crossfire, as IMO stabbing is a lot more personal (slitting a throat is horrible, don't get me wrong...but I just means it would be a little different than placing 10 plus different stab wounds around someone's body).

And by slitting their throats, it could indicate a rush to get out as its usually quicker rather than inflicting multiple stab wounds around the body. OR that he was getting tired, which could be why IF he did know their to be more housemates (from stalking the area previous times) he decided to stop at four. :( just my opinion, don't come for me.

Last edited:
Deficit #2534 - The creep can't even drive a car properly!

Source: "...it appeared to unsuccessfully attempt to park or tum around.." and "...be seen completing a three-point tum."

Smooth.
I’m starting to question how he thought he could get away with it!! Leaving the knife sheaf at the scene (could have been an accident), taking a phone with him but turning it off and on before and after the event respectively (phone records can be checked). Driving up and down the road and nearby roads several times during the period of interest. He must have known cameras would have caught him!! JMO.

Maddie and Kaylee and Xena and Ethan, other than being roommates and friends, didn't seem to have other connections did they? EXCEPT, Maddie and Xena both worked at the same restaurant. Maybe the Mad Greek is relevant to the motive. Maybe the targets were Maddie and Xena. Obviously the killer would also have to kill Kaylee and Ethan since they would have stopped him. But the killer let D live because she wasnt the target and she wasn't "in the way."

Xana and Maddie were members of the same sorority, which was the sister sorority to Sigma Chi, which was Ethan's fraternity. Ethan therefore accompanied Xana to a formal party at her sorority on Friday, Nov. 11. Xana was over at Sigma Chi the night of the murders (and was apparently well known there). Maddie likely went over to Sigma Chi (about 600 yards from 1122) on several occasions (MOO, but I don't state it without a few reference points).

Kaylee was the last of the three women to move into 1122. She was in a different sorority. She did not work with Xana and Maddie. She is not known to frequent the Mad Greek, but it's not unreasonable to expect she sometimes stopped by.

I think BK "stalked" (laid his eyes on, followed around) more than one woman. I think he was casing U of ID for suitable break-in/murder sites for longer than 3 weeks, but at least 3 weeks.

Meanwhile, Kaylee's sorority was sister sorority to JD's fraternity (which IIRC, had been moved off campus for some infraction and 10 members were living about 50 yards from 1122; these Sigma Alpha Episilon (SAE) members were likely frequent members at house parties, given how close they lived. Indeed, on the night of the Sept 2 noise complaint, I think it's obvious that M and K are somewhere nearby - probably at JD's house, and the two houses were likely partying back and forth and including some of the apartment dwellers nearby, which is typical of university weekend parties.

So Kaylee is less associated directly with the movements of Xana and Maddie, as she worked elsewhere. I believe Xana and Maddie moved in the past June or July, whereas Kaylee moved into the house around August 11-12. It is not known if Kaylee came back to her job at Dutch Bros coffee, though.

Personally, I think it's possible that it was indeed the house and its situation that ultimately made BCK's mind choose a target. I wanted to insert an adjective before "mind" but resisted.

Maddie and Kaylee and Xena and Ethan, other than being roommates and friends, didn't seem to have other connections did they? EXCEPT, Maddie and Xena both worked at the same restaurant. Maybe the Mad Greek is relevant to the motive. Maybe the targets were Maddie and Xena. Obviously the killer would also have to kill Kaylee and Ethan since they would have stopped him. But the killer let D live because she wasnt the target and she wasn't "in the way."
Ethan wasn't an "official" roommate. Just the boyfriend of Xana.

Many threads ago, it was suggested that perhaps BK’s study of previous killers influenced this murder. At the time, I didn’t agree and kept it moving. Now? I think I was wrong. On the last thread, there was talk about similarities to BTK’s 1st -talking to victims, number of victims - and then it occurred to me that BTK also left living witnesses. Idk if this is just coincidence or if we’ll ever know. This is all jmo that a possible connection exists between BK and his studies.

Everyone deals with shock differently. When I was 20, I lived with an odd roommate. She told me she would be gone “for a few days until Tuesday”. On Monday, I came home after school and spent 8 hours seemingly alone at home. She never left her room once to use the bathroom or kitchen. When I went to my room around midnight and locked my door, I heard her bedroom door open. I was so paralyzed with shock and curled up like a baby in bed. I didn’t hear anyone in distress but was so scared to check that I just went to sleep. The next morning, I missed my first class because I was too scared to go outside. I know most people think the obvious thing is to call 911 but fear makes people act in not so logical ways.
I agree with this. Last night, I was alone in our house with our dogs in our sunroom and watched a couple too many 48 hours episodes. At about 8 or 9 PM, our dogs went totally nuts, barking with unusual urgency, running from window to window, pawing, scratching at the door, just desperate to go outside. Immediately, I became sure that a person was walking around outside, and so what did I do? I decided to go to bed because it would get me away from the windows where I could be seen. Why? What good would that do? None, no good at all. It just made me feel better to be on the second floor and in a room where I couldn't be seen. If things had turned out differently and there HAD been someone outside, and he murdered the family next door, everyone would be wondering how I could have decided to just go to sleep when I thought that someone might be in the back yard.

I just had to bring this post from thread 4 forward from @MassGuy he totally called it that the sheath was left behind.

Post in thread 'ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #4'
ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #4

I linked the wrong post, but here is the post I was referring to:

That's very specific, especially considering there are numerous manufacturers of "combat style" knives.

If it's true they were in fact searching for that brand, then the sheath being found makes the most sense to me.

That would have been a massive mistake on the killer's part, as in addition to purchase records potentially helping the investigation, it would probably be a great source of touch DNA.

From affidavit:

“D.M. stated she originally went to sleep in her bedroom on the southeast side of the second floor. D.M. stated she was awoken at approximately 4:00 a-m. by what she stated sounded like Goncalves playing wilh her dog in one of the upstairs bedrooms, which were located on the third floor. A short time later, D.M. said she heard who she thought was Goncalves say something to the effect of "there’s someone here." A review of records obtained from a forensic download of Kernodle's phone showed this could also have been Kernodle as her cellular phone indicated she was likely awake and using the TikTok app at approximately 4:12 a.m- D.M. stated she looked out of her bedroom but did not see anything when she heard the comment about someone being in the house. D.M. Stated she opened her door a second time when she heard what she thought was crying coming from Kernodle's room. D.M. then said she heard a male voice say something to the effect of "it's ok, I'm going to help you." At approximately 4:17 a.m., a security camera located at 1122 King Road, a residence immediately to the northwest of 1122 King Road, picked up distorted audio of what sounded like voices or a whimper followed by a loud thud. A dog can also be heard barking numerous times starting at 4:17 a-m. The security camera is less than fifty feet from the west wall of Kernodle's bedroom. D.M. stated she opened her door for the third time after she heard the crying and a figure clad in black clothing and a mask that covered the person's mouth and nose walking towards her. D.M. described the figure as 5' I 0" or taller, male, not very muscular, but athletically built with bushy eyebrows. The male walked past D.M. as she stood in a "frozen shock phase." The male walked towards the back sliding glass door. D.M locked herself in her room after seeing male.”

Affidavit attached.

Last edited:
I will respectfully disagree. the car and the phone signals data don't put him inside the house, or associate him with the likely murder weapon. The DNA does. The DNA is the only thing that puts him in the house with virtual certainty.

I agree with us here not judging the surviving roommate's actions due to shock and other factors, but that doesn't mean we can't note that a defense attorney wont go after her credibility.

And to given she said he had a mask on, she almost certainly is not going to rise to the level of a definitive eyewitness identification of Kuhberger.

The phone signals and car just could be explained say he had a crush and inappropriately obsessed, which is not even a crime. The DNA evidence is orders of magnitude more difficult for the defense to explain
Could not agree more -- that knife sheath with his DNA puts him in that house at the crime scene-- the
Rest of what we have seen as far as phone, car and eye witness- can be argued---DM cannot
Specifically ID BK-- and she didnt call the police, and he did not harm her

Having just read the probable cause affidavit, what stood out for me is this:

"One of these occasions, on August 21,2022, the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources providing coverage to the King Road Residence from approximately 10:34 p.m. to 11:35 p.m." (page 16)

I then checked the closing time for the Greek restaurant where Xana and Madison worked. On Saturday, August 21, the restaurant closed at 10 PM.

It's possible that Aug 21 was the beginning of the stalking, where the suspect followed one or both girls from work to their house. He was at the house 12 times in the late evening or early morning (excluding one occasion) between August and November. That's roughly four times a month, once a week.

Ethan was a guest, Kaylee had moved out, so Xana and Madison were expected to be at the house. One of the tenants who was not murdered was obviously not a target if the suspect walked past her (unless he was in a zone and didn't see her). He was in some sort of zone to leave the knife sheath on Madison's bed.

At this time, it seems like Xana and Madison were the targets, Ethan and Kaylee were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
If X and M were working on 8-21-22 that could very well be the beginning of his search for victims. Did he overhear talk of open parties or that they were looking for a 6th roommate..or something that would lead him to construe that house was a place with lots of foot traffic that could possibly complicate a crime scene if a crime were to happen there. I would also like to know what was happening at the house the other 12 times he was "there". What did he observe when he drove by? Complete open house with loud music, drinking, fire pit going out back or no partying and normal evening activities by the residents.
jmo

As he was able to kill 4 in such a small timeframe, he has to have had some "experience" in using a Knife in such a manner.
Gad, if just one friend/acquaintance would come forward, but it appears Kohberger is a super loner. Could be he doesn't want anyone knowing his business, or could also be because he was a teaching assistant and grading classmates' work and he thought it unwise to get close to anyone. Who knows? It's maddening, though, to me. Socially, it's as if has lived his entire life in a vacuum.

WOW.....Major WOW, on the affidavit! One huge area that concerns me is.....

D.M claims (per PCA) to have woken up at 4a.m to (what sounded like) K playing with Murphy.

Then "a short time later" heard (what sounded like) K say something like "Someone's here". Maybe she (K, or X) saw or heard a car pull up or saw headlights like someone turned into their driveway?

D.M. looked out her bedroom door (1st time), no one there, she closed it.

She then heard crying from X's room & a male's voice (I think it's safe to assume it was BK, as I believe Ethan to be already dead, IMO). She said the voice said (what sounded like) "it's OK, I'm going to help you". However, (IMO) I think it's more likely he said "I'm going to kill you [too]". D.M opened her door & looked out again (2nd time), saw no one so she closed her door again.

At 4:17a.m a security cam, approx 50 ft from X's bedrooms west wall picked up (distorted audio in what sounded like) voices OR a whimper, followed by a thud and a dog barking. That tells us the killer is on the 3rd floor.

D.M opened her door "a third time after she heard the crying and saw a man...... ". So did D.M continue hearing the crying (thinking it was X) or could the crying she heard that time been from K or M or did she only open her door twice? If she heard the same crying as before (which she already stated came from X's bedroom) right before the killer walked (not ran, mind you), this could mean that not everyone's death was immediate and that at least 1 person lay in agony (I shudder at that thought).

Additionally, the killer passed by D.M and left thru back sliding door. Didn't he have to climb stairs to get to that 2nd floor sliding glass door (assuming she was standing at or near her bedroom door, which was on the 1st floor)?? Or was she on the 2nd floor when he passed by her?? Wait, WTH is up with him passing her?? Why didn't he go after her too??

*edited to remove to avoid misinterpretation.

Last edited:
Where is there any mention of a man crying?

@XtremeScorpio - you have an excellent summary (except of course D is on the second floor not the first - we were misled by various statements in MSM, although not sure it was ever said directly that D was on the first floor; Gray Hughes made that assumption for some reason, but some of us thought otherwise, partly due to the Sept 2 body cam video - but also, statements and TikToks/Insta posts made before the murders).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa