ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 54

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was clenching his jaw a bit when the hearing began, and by the end of it, I noticed no jaw clenching.

ADMIN NOTE:

Welcome to all our new members who have joined the discussion. We were all new once and it takes a while to learn all the ins and outs, become familiar with our Terms of Service, and generally how Websleuths rolls. We are not your average run-of-the-mill type of site where anything goes.

We want our new members to feel welcome, so if you have an issue please don't hesitate to contact a Mod or Admin by Reporting an offensive or inflammatory post (Report button at the bottom of each post). Just Report and let our Moderators or Administrators review the issue and deal with it rather than responding on the thread.

Glad you are here to contribute. If you have questions about our rules, just ask by using use the Report feature to jump off any post, and we will do our best to answer them for you.

Bringing this forward as well…

It could be as simple as the dad always wanted to do a cross country trip, so Bryan called and asked his dad to come with him for company on the ride home. Any dad would do that if their son asked....

I've had a million thoughts about this trip. Why drive when flying would have been cheaper and much faster. Then I thought, you know, my dad would have done this...daddy-daughter road trip, so maybe it's not so strange. Now after seeing the body cam footage of his dad I feel bad for him and what their family must be going through. He was so casually sitting there, riding along with his phone on his leg, happily chatting it up with the patrolman who stopped them. Ugh. Today after reading the affidavit, I wonder if, now hear me out, IF BK thought about trying to frame his dad somehow. It sounds ridiculous, but BK isn't exactly the smartest person here. Have another person's DNA in the car, if there's blood in the car and his dad touches the areas not knowing it then more of dad's DNA....

Just my thoughts, feelings and opinions.

Curious question that I've often wondered but never really dug into... does a defense attorney generally know whether their client is actually guilty of the crime they are charged of? Or how does that work? I cannot imagine having motivation to build a defense case on someone I knew was guilty. But I also can't imagine the not knowing and trying to build a case. Any attorneys here to shed light?
It depends. Your job is to represent your client's rights and interests in the proceeding against him or her. Attorneys talk about a "knowledge problem." You can't participate or assist your client in an ongoing crime or fraud. That's where it gets tricky - if your client tells you they did something, you really have a problem letting your client get on the stand and perjure themselves. I think that's the biggest problem that comes up for defense attorneys in trying to navigate the "did they do it?" question. But you definitely don't have an obligation to tell your client to confess because it's the state's burden to prove the case. Your client has a right to stay silent, no matter what they did or didn't do, and see if the state has the evidence to establish the claims they're making. Many times they do with all the new CCTV and scientific evidence. So I don't know any defense attorneys that feel like they should be doing the state's job for them or feel guilty about making sure your client's rights are being respected.

Some defense attorneys focus on the system. If no one checks the state, the state will be out of control and we all will suffer for it. Some attorneys focus on the humanity of their clients (in many types of crimes). You're not defined by the worst thing you've done and you should have an opportunity to do your time, turn your life around, and contribute positively to society.

I don't know anyone that is like, heck yeah, guilty client, let's pull a fast one on the state. Defense attorneys talk much more about accepting that sometimes the facts are bad and you have to do your best.

Personally I focus on making sure the client understands the proceedings and understands the evidence against them. These are complicated proceedings with well-educated and well-paid people on all sides and it is important to me that the defendant understand and be able to participate. In many cases, it's trying to explain mitigating circumstances and why this person should receive lesser charges and a lighter sentence. It's advocating to get your client to Drug Court to deal with addiction. It's getting your client into Veteran's Court to deal with PTSD and get services they are entitled to.

I have had cases where I don't believe the act charged, like unauthorized access to a computer, should be a crime. I don't care if my client did it or not because I don't think the state can actually prove that the actions alleged meet the elements of a crime and I will fight those cases to avoid bad decisions.

So I guess this is really just a long way of saying the most lawyerly answer of all: "it depends"

Last edited:
But why was the phone turned off? He could argue that the battery just happened to die at the same time the victims died? It gets to the point that there are just too many unlucky coincidences to be believable.
There's no evidence his phone was turned off. It could be outside a service coverage area or airplane mode activated or turned off.

He was clenching his jaw a bit when the hearing began, and by the end of it, I noticed no jaw clenching.
The clenching shifted south by about 3 feet.

That entire read and comments are truly gut wrenching. That’s a man who is living a nightmare every waking moment. All the while trying to move forward and reconcile this tragedy. My heart goes out to him. JMOO.

My heart breaks for all parents/family members in this case, but Maddie’s dad (Ben) just gets to me so much. I hope he finds a way to heal in this lifetime. :(

I've had a million thoughts about this trip. Why drive when flying would have been cheaper and much faster. Then I thought, you know, my dad would have done this...daddy-daughter road trip, so maybe it's not so strange. Now after seeing the body cam footage of his dad I feel bad for him and what their family must be going through. He was so casually sitting there, riding along with his phone on his leg, happily chatting it up with the patrolman who stopped them. Ugh. Today after reading the affidavit, I wonder if, now hear me out, IF BK thought about trying to frame his dad somehow. It sounds ridiculous, but BK isn't exactly the smartest person here. Have another person's DNA in the car, if there's blood in the car and his dad touches the areas not knowing it then more of dad's DNA....

Just my thoughts, feelings and opinions.

The trip was planned- “Kohberger's father flew into Spokane, Washington, and then drove down to Pullman in a pre-planned trip ahead of the drive home ahead of the Christmas holiday break”

Couldn’t be more relieved to read such an evidence packed pca.

Lots stick out to me, but one thing I wanted to mention- his cell phone turning off the afternoon of November 13th, and last being tracked near Johnson, ID. A quick google maps search shows traveling east from Johnson leads to a lot of national forest and wilderness areas. Three hours in the wilderness to dump evidence.. yikes.

A very close family friend of mine grew up with BK (family videos and all). Chilling. They knew him at a younger age (pre-high school) and he seemed more “normal” then. I’m hoping to gain more insight from them, but it makes me wonder when this change psychologically occurred, or if he was always like this.

Either way, fantastic police work. Looking forward to the day we see all of our questions answered and justice served.
You could become a "verified insider" here on WS if you want to share insights about BK from this source.

How to become a verified insider on WS:
Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

I personally don't think he was aware that anyone saw him, but I bet he was really sweating the sheath when he noticed it was missing. MOO
does the sheath from this knife have a belt loop? or not? is it too big to carry on a belt? for sure he lost track of it while stabbing and no guarantee whatever light he had (fairy lights? moon light? head lamp?) would make it easy to locate IMO

As far as the surviving roommate hearing Kaylee say 'there's someone here", couldn't that have been the door dash delivery guy?

I was also wondering about the roommate hearing the male voice saying 'it's going to be okay' or something to that effect. Did she actually understand the male voice to be a stranger or did she think it was Ethan? Maybe if Xena was crying and the male voice she heard was muffled enough to be non-distinct, she thought (at the time) Xena/Ethan were talking, arguing, whatever.

What if he claims he’s been to a party at the house before, had seen the knife, been intrigued and touched it once. He could claim a frat boy left it or gave it to one of the girls for protection. Because the house is known for welcoming parties, it’s not strange that he could have happened to overhear conversations at mad Greek and gotten word of a party. He could claim that Because he was welcomed in to party in the past he felt like he could just randomly show up for a party in the future. On the night of the murder he was in the area because he was hoping for another welcoming party. He arrives at the house expecting a party….doesn’t find one there…but parked in the area and lurked around or knocked on doors or windows of 1122. He gives up after no one answers and goes home. He later learns of the murder and feels like he can’t come forward out of the fear of being accused. The knife and dna aren’t his main concern. He tries to defend his reason for being there. Now when they have dna of his on the sheath he offers up some insight- “the real killer used this girls knife against herself! I know this because I had talked to her before and she showed me this knife…”

In my mind it all comes down to victims DNA in the car.

To take take it a step further he could even say, yeah I entered a door because it was open. There’s always a party and it’s not even burglary because I just came here to party. I ended up leaving because it seemed like no one was awake. On the way out I walked past a roommate who just stood in the doorway.

I know this is extremely hard to believe, and I know a jury might convict with what is already known. I just find it absolutely imperative that victim dna be found in that car OR some proof that the sheath belongs to BK

I'm very pleased they have the evidence that I saw in the release, in addition to DNA. Getting ready to watch a trial where there was zero DNA found in all four homes, in the murders of a family of eight. So far, three convicted, and one to go. One big deal? A shoe print was left at two of the murder sites. Thus far the evidence against BK appears quite damning.

Is there any view of BK when the evidence against him was read out? Do we know his reaction at all?

Re: not calling police...

Once again, it's a party house. Yeah, BK probably looked like a weirdo being there in a mask, but he was heading for the kitchen and leaving, and no one was screaming or staggering around at that point to indicate an ongoing crisis, from what we have been told. In my college days I probably would have thought he was a shady, kind of creepy guy who had delivered something and was headed out. Maybe a little annoyed that whoever he came to see just turned him loose to roam through on his way out, but whatever, it's late and everyone's quiet again, I'm not going to go yell at them right now.

And everyone had sounded more or less normal really recently. Kaylee playing with the dog upstairs, the Doordash, a roommate telling another person someone's there followed up by seeing someone leaving, a roommate crying and another person getting involved in that... none of that would have been IMO call the police or go see for myself strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle