ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 54

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to his high school yearbook he wanted to be an Army Ranger. I don't know if he ever signed up but instead ended working as a security guard for a school district.

At WSU he reportedly applied for a Fall Internship with the local Police Department. I wonder if he wasn't accepted or if he changed his mind. Was the Professor's Assistant his second choice? According to some students it appeared he didn't want to be there.

He reportedly told the mechanic at the garage they took the car to in PA that he wanted to be a professor.

When did he give up his plans to join the military or become a police officer?
If he was already planning to commit murder on the premise he would get away with it an internship at a local police department might have been useful to him. It would make him a less obvious suspect. And it would give him potential pleasure to be on the "inside" as the police attempt to put everything together and an opportunity to manipulate an investigation. (In reality it would also present more potential pitfalls to screw up and give himself away).

Possibly, they seem to imply that the killer left after killing X, but it is not at all clear. Your interpretation is as good as any at this point, IMHO.
Logically (though can anything be deemed logical in such a horrific act?), the following order makes the most sense to me:

- BK enters house
- Goes up to 3rd floor and kills M and K first (personally after reading the affidavit I’m leaning towards M being the target if there was indeed a sole target)
- Comes back down to 2nd floor and sees X, E or both
- Kills E as he deems him the biggest threat being a young, fit male
- kills X last (sobbing is X having seen BK murder E)
- BK leaves the house via sliding door on 2nd floor

I’ve just realised looking at the floor plan again that BK was likely coming from X and E bedroom and cutting across the living room towards DM who was standing in her bedroom doorway. I wonder how dark it was inside… the darkness mixed with the adrenaline may explain why BK didn’t see DM if he didn’t that is. Otherwise I don’t really have any explanation as to why he would’ve left her.

I didn’t see anything further about BF so is it assumed from the info we have she slept through the entire thing? IMO wondering if DM waited for BF to wake up and leave her room first?

So then I suppose he could have done both? He applied for a Fall 2022 internship, IIRC.

I'm curious if he wasn't accepted and for what reason. If he told the mechanic he planned to be a professor, he may have given up his plans by then.

Was he already planning the murders in August when he first drove through the area? Did he start scoping out houses as soon as he got there?

Just how long had he fantasized about the murders? Years? Was that why he studied psychology and criminology?

It's almost as if his whole life was leading up to this moment.

What went wrong?
So many questions.

I wonder the same things.

He certainly was scoping the house out in August, right around the beginning of the school terms so it seems that was def part of his MO.

Not sure when exactly he moved to the area for the beginning of the school year, May have been discussed but I would assume around early - mid August. MOO

This is something that bothers me. Why would he leave the sheath? It is not like it fell and was out of site under the bed or under the covers. It was right there on top next to the victim. Most people I know with knives either have their sheath on their belt or clipped to a pocket - but they always put the knife in the sheath when they are done. It is a habit, especially with a big knife. Just strange to me that he would carry his knife out without it. JMO

Normally, a knife that large would be carried on a belt. So either BK did have the knife in a sheath attached to his belt or he carried in his hand when he entered the home. It was very dark outside so he could have held it next to his leg as he walked. Having it in his hand poses problems, though. It means when he went to use it, he'd have to use two hands instead of one to open the clasp to release the knife. That could be how he left it behind. An alternate theory is that he did have it on a belt and for some reason he undid his belt and the sheath slipped off when he did so. So that something else he left behind may have been biological.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

It is in the affidavit that the young person who saw him from her door was in the other 2nd floor bedroom. Top of page 4 in the affidavit:

D.M. stated she originally went to sleep in her bedroom ou the southeast side ofthe seoond floor. D.M. stated she was awoken at approximately 4:00 a-m. by what she stated sounded like Goncalves playing wilh her dog in one of the upstairs bedmoms, which were located on the third floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he assumed it did not contain his DNA and, therefore, was not evidence that would link him to the crime.
Possibly. I would think that someone with a Masters Degree in criminology would be absolutely positive it didn't have his DNA. I really discount the idea that it was left there intentionally, it just serves no purpose.

Here’s what really has my attention: how was he was already driving by their house in June when he didn’t move out there until August? Is it possible that he found their social media accounts while still living in PA (the girls’ IG’s are public), became obsessed, and chose a university for his Ph.D program that was specifically near them so he could stalk IRL instead of online? That sounds insane, but how else to explain that he was scoping out a random street in Idaho two months before his semester at WSU started?
Good point, IMO. I would not put anything past him and think this is entirely possible. I don't think this was his first time researching & stalking potential future victims/targets, and traveling to/moving to and living in a new area where he wouldn't be well known, and trying to or succeeding in sexually assaulting &/or murdering women, and moving on fairly soon after.

He could have first looked at WSU (Edited to replace UofW) in Pullman WA because it had the PhD program he was interested in and maybe one he could get into fairly easily, and was so far from home he could operate very independently, and after discovering both Pullman and Moscow were neighboring cities with large college populations, he could find and target women living in Moscow because it was "close but separate" from where he would live -- only 10 miles away but in a different small sized city (with a population of around 25,000 and all the lively student life) and in an entirely different state, so there would be good cover for him to move around without being noticed like in a small town.

It's very chilling to contemplate, but needs to be considered as backstory on his June visit to Moscow and his possible MO(s) in targeting the victims, which I'm sure LE has.

Thinking of the victims and their loved ones, and the heartbreak all around over their deaths. Hoping the pursuit of justice for them is swift, and the punishment for the apparent premeditation and malice aforethought involved will be severe.

ETA: ""The Office on Violence Against Women proudly joins the President in recognizing January as "National Stalking Awareness Month (NSAM). Stalking is described by the Justice Department’s Bureau of Justice Statistics as, “a course of conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to feel fear for his or her safety or the safety of someone close such as a family member.” "

Understanding the Serious Crime of Stalking

JMOO

Last edited:
If you dial 911 and hang up, THEY CALL YOU BACK. And your phone will ring, vibrate and/or light up. If I was terrified, I’d be afraid that would show a killer where I was. Even breathing makes sounds that could let someone find you.

I have no idea what I’d do. And I hope I never have to find out.

Are you saying a possible defense is BK admitting he was an accomplice to multiple murder and having no proof to back it up?

I don't think that's going to happen. He may try a defense where he admits to being at the home before the murders for a party to explain evidence connecting him to it. It's not his car in the videos because there's no clear images of the license plate.

He can claim DNA on the sheath was planted by LE in a rush to judgement scenario where they needed it to make the arrest and solve the crime. JMO.
I didn’t say I thought it was a good plan. Just musing over what he may be up to, if the question wasn’t trying to just feel out whether or not a parent got pulled in along with him. Was he planting a seed that someone else could be culpable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member