ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I think there was some confusion about the phone - I believe this just came from the fact the affidavit refers to the account being opened on 23 June 2022, as you mention. My interpretation was that didn’t necessarily mean he was in the area on this date. (Edited to add: according to affidavit, plan was linked to address in PA so seems likely BK was still there at this stage).

Agree - it does seem strange to get a new plan so recently. Maybe he got a new phone in anticipation of the move (I can imagine students might be sorting a number of administrative things such as bank accounts etc around this time) and/or maybe he had already started thinking about what he was going to try and attempt once he arrived and decided a new phone would more effectively cover his tracks. MOO

New phone was graduation present?

Maybe his compulsion overruled his thought process, clearly he was focused on this house or its occupants and not on preventing getting caught because its a little too messy to be well thought out.

His whole approach is too messy to be well thought out. He knew how cell phones were tracked and yet he didn't take evasive measures on his forays into the area to start with or after the attack. Never mind all the camera evidence he brought on himself. I don't see him as being unaware of his actions unless he was becoming unhinged? Contrary to popular belief I just don't believe he was that stupid..Losing touch with reality is a possibility IMO.

What an idiot!! Bringing his cell phone and turning it off and on during critical moments in the murder left a trail back to him. What’s worse (or good) cell phone was with him during all the hours of the house Being stalked weeks ago. But the icing on the cake is coming back to the crime scene at 9:00 a.m. same day with his cell phone on. LOL.
JMO

I hope FBI are going through BK’s entire cell history. Years worth even. If this pattern of early morning “Off On Off On” connections have appeared in the past, it may lead to other unsolved crimes he committed. Maybe months or even years ago.

Been waiting to post. As far as the doordash arriving close in time to BK....what if X ordered it and it took so long to arrive they went to bed. And the dasher left in doorstep. Maybe BK brought the order in or the roommates, or friends they called over, did the next morning. So maybe BK watched it get dropped off and nobody came to door and lights were off so he entered. Or he didn't even see it get dropped off. But this is MOO and in reply to comment in last thread where someone was contemplating how brazen he was as X must have still been awake with lights on since she just got the doordash. Maybe she didn't get it and was asleep. Maybe they ordered it at like 2.45am and gave up waiting. I have had some super long DD deliveries. Especially if tough to get a driver to pick up (middle of the night).

The photo of the burger bag by the kitchen sink seems an odd placement of the bag. Maybe just dropped there in a non thinking hurry by BK or by the roommates and friends the next day. Guessing the next day people as they called 911.

Maybe X and E were in bed with lights off and X was on her phone (tiktok) waiting for order but E was trying to sleep so lights were off. Guessing, still though, that X never went to door for the order and it was brought in the next day as the friends (roommates called) arrived.
My thoughts go along with a theory that he was surveilling the house that night and with all of the activity (prior to the 4:00am DD delivery) he was uncertain if this was the night to attack.
The DD delivery was his ticket in, IMO either he perhaps watched the delivery person open the unlocked sliding door (per X’s online delivery instructions) and place the bag in the house OR the delivery person left the bag outside the sliding door and BK watched as X retrieved the bag without locking the sliding door.
That was (in his mind) the opportunity he had been looking for perhaps on other stalking sessions. He was now able to pounce without having to break in. His adrenaline rush fueled him through the 4 murders but he became physically and emotionally exhausted so he left through the second floor sliding glass door, as he didn’t feel capable of “sweeping the house” to look for additional victims.
This my opinion only.

I wonder what prosecutors will do if some families want the DP and some do not.

I don't think the decision will come down to what the families want in terms of sentencing, although of course the prosecutors will take the families' wishes into consideration. I think there will have to be a legal justification for seeking the DP, as the prosecutor ultimately represents the state, and not the families. JMO.

If BK had driven near the residence at least 12 times since August, seemingly never planning to commit the murders any of those times since he had his phone then and not the night of the murders, it makes me very curious why he decided to do it THAT night. He didn't leave his house until after everyone was home, so he couldn't have really known who had come and gone, or who was staying the night.
IMO BK maybe had to stake out the place numerous times before going through with it. He would have had to know the kids’ routine, plus it’s November, it’s daylight savings time, so windows are closed around the neighborhood because it’s cold and no one’s gonna be wandering around the area because it’s cold, and it’s pitch black out. Lower risk of being seen or heard.

The fact that he was dumping trash in his neighbors' bins would suggest he knew he was being watched (or might be watched) Possibly knowing the mistakes he made along the way-leaving the sheath etc etc would eventually lead the cops to him...

I wish we knew which way the doors swung into DM's bedroom; did it swing to the short wall or to the longer wall beside the stairs to the third floor? We need to know that so we can figure out which direction DM was looking toward when BK walked right by her. If it swung toward the short wall she'd be looking directly over toward XK's room which would suggest he was walking either toward the stairs leading to the first floor or XK's bedroom. If it swung the other way she'd have a restricted view toward the kitchen and the sliders.

The link I've attached show the layout as opening toward the long wall because a closet is on the short wall. If that is where the closet is located then it definitely makes more sense that way. If it is accurate and BK walked right by her then he was going toward either XK's bedroom or the stairs to the first floor. I think I remember reading that some neighbour walking their dog said the front door was wide open at 8 am.

It is hard to decide what order the sounds DM heard since she opened her door three times to see what the disturbance was.

I'm also curious what that thud sound picked up by a camera at 1112 King. Could it have been BK's car door slamming shut?

Someone posted a photo of the door swing last thread. Iirc from the inside - doorknob on the left and swings inward. JMO

Great thought about the car door....looking at the timeline though, I don't think the thud was the car door, that would decrease the time he was inside the house by 3 minutes. JMO

edit: added AA link
edit: added floor plan link corrected door doorknob placement

Last edited:
If I was to commit a crime as horrendous as this, I would leave my phone, Apple Watch, ipad at home. Bring nothing that can even trace you back to a crime scene. Heck, I don’t have a PhD, but even I know to leave any/all electronics at home.
you wonder how he wound up leaving the knife sheath at the scene, on the bed--- pretty sloppy

If BK had driven near the residence at least 12 times since August, seemingly never planning to commit the murders any of those times since he had his phone then and not the night of the murders, it makes me very curious why he decided to do it THAT night. He didn't leave his house until after everyone was home, so he couldn't have really known who had come and gone, or who was staying the night.
Same here. Then add he most likely saw the DD, knew at least one person would be awake inside the house. And yet he went in anyways. What was the trigger? He seems to have been so desperate to commit this crime that his emotions cancelled common sense. Like he had not thought of an end game here. Like he was so angry he couldn't see straight. imo.

I've read almost every post on these threads and have one question and one comment.

Was there anyone living in the first floor bedroom? Reports are of surviving roommates (plural). I have not seen anyone other than D mentioned.

Also, I am struck by how exposed M was due to the sliding glass doors. In the exterior shots, I see only flimsy drapes, or maybe none at all. It's hard to tell, but I expect that anyone in that room with the lights on in the evening was visible from the outside. Maybe it's because I'm a visual/observant type and always looking around when I'm on the sidewalk or in a car, but as a young person I took note of the fact that I was able to see into homes pretty easily at night. As I got older and more aware, I was always careful to pull shades down in the evening. I still yell at my husband about this. He says, "If they want to look at me, let 'em. Big thrill." Well, then of course we have the talk about the difference between how men live, and how women must live. It was eye-opening to him. The natural innocence of young people makes me sad when something like this happens. Bottom line is, situational awareness won't help you when someone is this evil.
I think Bethany Funke was in one of the first floor bedrooms. My understanding is that there were two girls on each floor, each with her own bedroom. Dylan and Xana each had a bedroom on the second (or middle floor), Kaylee and Madie each had a bedroom on the third (top) floor, and Bethany and one other each had a bedroom on the first floor. The sixth student was not in the house that night and had either moved out or was staying somewhere else. As far as I know, she has not been named.

My thoughts go along with a theory that he was surveilling the house that night and with all of the activity (prior to the 4:00am DD delivery) he was uncertain if this was the night to attack.
The DD delivery was his ticket in, IMO either he perhaps watched the delivery person open the unlocked sliding door (per X’s online delivery instructions) and place the bag in the house OR the delivery person left the bag outside the sliding door and BK watched as X retrieved the bag without locking the sliding door.
That was (in his mind) the opportunity he had been looking for perhaps on other stalking sessions. He was now able to pounce without having to break in. His adrenaline rush fueled him through the 4 murders but he became physically and emotionally exhausted so he left through the second floor sliding glass door, as he didn’t feel capable of “sweeping the house” to look for additional victims.
This my opinion only.

Thanks to you and Lamina for responding to my long post on the previous thread haha... I can't keep up with all of these! (But if people could quote that is helpful because then I get a notification, otherwise it's just chance to see a response...) Anyway, I think this makes a lot of sense with the lights on scenario, and the closeness in time of the DoorDash. I'm also curious if the voice saying "someone is here" (Xana?) was meant to imply the DoorDash was there?

I have a comment regarding the sheath and it being found next to M. The reason I feel like this might suggest M was killed first is because that particular sheath needs a belt fed through it to attach it to one's person. It doesn't clip on, or slide on, it's a solid piece of leather that is looped for the belt to slide through. It could NOT have simply been knocked off of him. He would have had to undo his belt, plus slide it off the sheath for it to be removed, which isn't necessary to unbutton the snap to access the knife. (And I am NOT suggesting he undid his belt for any reason...)

I wonder if BK had clothing on that didn't include a belt, so he couldn't attach it to himself that way. If he came in with the knife sheathed, then he likely unsheathed it before his first victim. It's possible, of course, that he put the sheath in his pocket at some point and it simply fell out right there, but since DM saw him walking towards her from X's room direction on his way out the sliding door, that adds to my suspicion that he killed upstairs first.

Just my 2 cents...

This my opinion only.
Her directions were to leave it at back sliding door? Not the front door? Strange to have delivery guy walk around side of house to back slider. Hmm. That is interesting.

His whole approach is too messy to be well thought out. He knew how cell phones were tracked and yet he didn't take evasive measures on his forays into the area to start with or after the attack. Never mind all the camera evidence he brought on himself. I don't see him as being unaware of his actions unless he was becoming unhinged? Contrary to popular belief I just don't believe he was that stupid..Losing touch with reality is a possibility IMO.
I agree.

We'll see how good of job BK did cleaning away evidence. He blew it with his cell phone so maybe he left some incriminating evidence behind for LE to recover. JMO.
There are so many crevices in a car. I can't imagine he got everything. Even vents go way into the car, many instruments and things have small holes that go up and in for aways. He would have had to take some things apart and really break down some of the component's. Maybe but hopefully not. IMO, MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member