VA- 6-YEAR-OLD is in custody after shooting teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.

sds71

Reaction score
Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew says the shooting was NOT accidental, this was intentional.

I work with 4-5 year olds who have trauma/mental illnesses and this kind of thing is what makes me do back pack checks every morning. I get death threats pretty consistently through the day and I’ve only ever caught one weapon, a knife, but it’s so scary sometimes.

Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew says the shooting was NOT accidental, this was intentional.

I hate that a 6-year-old is “in custody.” We can debate how old a child is when fully responsible for their own actions. But I wish the caregivers and gun owner were in custody and the child was in a safe place, where he cannot hurt himself or others, getting counseling. Sure hope that’s what they mean by “in custody.” Jmo

I hate that a 6-year-old is “in custody.” We can debate how old a child is when fully responsible for their own actions. But I wish the caregivers and gun owner were in custody and the child was in a safe place, where he cannot hurt himself or others, getting counseling. Sure hope that’s what they mean by “in custody.” Jmo
As far as I know, a six year old is too young to be held legally responsible for his actions, so he'll be in an institution of some kind for children with mental health issues and behvaiour issues that manifest in violent behaviour. He may be there some time for assessment, and he may be mandated to remain there for the foreseeable future.

Please correct if I'm wrong in any of this.

Right? A disturbed 6 yo is more likely a result of nurture (or lack thereof) than nature (MOO only)

I work with 4-5 year olds who have trauma/mental illnesses and this kind of thing is what makes me do back pack checks every morning. I get death threats pretty consistently through the day and I’ve only ever caught one weapon, a knife, but it’s so scary sometimes.
So glad to see that you check backpacks every morning. You just can't be too careful.
I would think that your students would be proud of you and feel safer for what you do each morning. If, OTOH, the checks deterred someone, that would be a victory as well -- at least in your school room. Keep up the good work.
Also hoping your children leave your class feeling better for the work you do with and for them.
Bless you for working with those special young, young students. A good way to start a child's education, and I'm sure the parents/caregivers are glad that you are their child's educator.

• After being shot, the teacher 'screamed at her kids to run away,' parent Sebastian Gonzalez-Hernandez told DailyMail.com
  • 'Even after she'd been shot she was thinking about the safety of her children,' Gonzalez-Hernandez said

As far as I know, a six year old is too young to be held legally responsible for his actions, so he'll be in an institution of some kind for children with mental health issues and behvaiour issues that manifest in violent behaviour. He may be there some time for assessment, and he may be mandated to remain there for the foreseeable future.

Please correct if I'm wrong in any of this.
I hope this type of institution is available. My state of approximately 3.5 million people has no institution like this for children of any age. In my large city, a child like this would likely, hopefully, be placed in a foster setting, but often one would not be available that could accommodate a traumatized/violent child. Jmo

To the degree that such a very young child can form "intent."

I see teens & college students' brain development mentioned a lot as mitigation for various crimes. I find that somewhat reasonable but still want there to be consequences for criminal behaviors.

A 6 year old has no capacity for intent IMO. Show me some research that says otherwise & I will reassess that opinion.

The child acquired a weapon. How did that happen?

My 2 cents only

Last edited:
To the degree that such a very young child can form "intent."

I see teens & college students' brain development mentioned a lot as mitigation for various crimes. I find that somewhat reasonable but still want there to be consequences for criminal behaviors.

A 6 year old has no capacity for intent IMO. Show me some research that says otherwise & I will reassess that opinion.

The child acquired a weapon. How did that happen?

My 2 cents only
Having raised 7 kids and having 13 grands, I've been around a few 6 year olds.

Can a 6 year old child "intend" to shoot someone? Yes, 100%.
Does a 6 year old child fully understand what "shooting someone" actually means? Absolutely not.

Granted, a 6 year old kid living in the city playing video games has a completely different understanding of things than a 6 year old kid living in the country where farming and hunting may be commonplace (my own kids knew it was common for the pigs to be put down if they escaped the sterile conditions of the barn), but they still don't really understand it the way an adult does.

All of that aside, this has to come down on the people raising this child, and how he had access to both the gun and the ammo, and how he even knew how to load, or handle the gun. All of that comes right back to the adults in his life.

jmo

OMG I saw this and was sure it was some kind of typo.
Heavens, cannot imagine living in that kind of fear.??
Bless you for what you
There is not enough money!

JMO

Having raised 7 kids and having 13 grands, I've been around a few 6 year olds.

Can a 6 year old child "intend" to shoot someone? Yes, 100%.
Does a 6 year old child fully understand what "shooting someone" actually means? Absolutely not.

Granted, a 6 year old kid living in the city playing video games has a completely different understanding of things than a 6 year old kid living in the country where farming and hunting may be commonplace (my own kids knew it was common for the pigs to be put down if they escaped the sterile conditions of the barn), but they still don't really understand it the way an adult does.

All of that aside, this has to come down on the people raising this child, and how he had access to both the gun and the ammo, and how he even knew how to load, or handle the gun. All of that comes right back to the adults in his life.

jmo
Well said.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Last edited by a moderator:

As much as I agree, where can this child be held? Immediately they have to be kept safe from others and others safe from them. What in the world is in store for a six year old who has committed attempted murder?

This is like Ethan Crumbley shooting, the parents will be found and be arrested.

How could they not be held responsible? The gun was available, the ammo was available, the gun was found and ammo put in gun, the gun was put into the bag of the student and taken to school Horrific!

JMO

Yep, I work with middle schoolers with severe emotional and behavioral disorders and they're not even allowed backpacks at school.

As much as I agree, where can this child be held? Immediately they have to be kept safe from others and others safe from them. What in the world is in store for a six year old who has committed attempted murder?

This is like Ethan Crumbley shooting, the parents will be found and be arrested.

How could they not be held responsible? The gun was available, the ammo was available, the gun was found and ammo put in gun, the gun was put into the bag of the student and taken to school Horrific!

JMO
I live in Oakland County, Michigan and am following this case closely. For anyone not familiar with the Oxford High School shooting and Ethan Crumbley, there is ongoing discussion here.

GUILTY - MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* *teen guilty* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah