ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know everyone's opinions on the August 21 traffic stop when BK was by the Kings Road residence. Did a neighbor call in a suspicious vehicle that was spending a lot of time in the area? Did BK simply draw a patrolling officer's attention? Is it known if he was cited for a violation?

From the affadavit:

One of these occasions, on August 21, 2022, the 8458 phone utilized cellular resources providing coverage to the King Road residence from approximately 10:34 pm to 11:35 pm. At approximately 11:37 pm., Kohberger was stopped by Latah County Sheriff's Deputy CPL Duke as mentioned above. The 8548 phone was utilizing cellular resources consistent with the location of the traffic stop during this time (Farm Road and Pullman Highway).

IIrc, LE said Murphy was found in an unoccupied bedroom and had not appeared to have contaminated the crime scene. IOW, I think he was locked in K's room, either by K herself, or BK, and remained there until LE let him out.

I have a lot of varying thoughts regarding this, but the sounds like K playing with her dog could have been: a) K with her dog, b) the dog by itself, c) BK walking in on the dog looking for K, or d) BK shoving the dog into the room and locking it in.

JMO

She did hear something to that effect afterwards, if you follow the sequencing in the PCA.

But you are assuming that these words or similar was said in a bedroom and therefore could not be easily heard. Thin walls, as mentioned by others, but it could have been said in the living room, around the corner next to the bathroom, and therefore was quite audible to DM since her room was closeby and adjoining onto that room. The PCA does not state exactly that X's body was found in the bedroom.
1. The PCA is quite clear her body was in her bedroom IMO.

2. My point was not so much to invoke a discussion of sound "in the house" but to point out that if BK knew D was in her room, he should have realized she heard his voice.

I think this a great summary. I'd add one caveat. Remember the calls to JD from KGs phone and then Maddy's phone? There is a good chance they were in bed together and the first thing the roommate heard was the killer looking for KG in her room. What makes me think that is that the dog barked (although it's hard to tell where that is in the timeline). Anyway, great post!
Good point, and a scenario I thought about as well. But in my theory of the crime I believe BK would have fled when he unexpectedly found a second girl in bed with his intended target and aborted the entire plan. Again, this is just my general sense of how and why this crime played out the way it did. My opinions only.

From thread #55 Blackbeary Yes. This was his 'out', as sickening as it sounds. He could never live up to the expectations of his family, you can see in the police stops in Indiana, how proud his father is of his son, I'm sure his mother and sisters felt the same way.

It all came to a head. I agree, if finally after studying how to plan and carry out the perfect murder, he may have realized that he was never going to complete the PhD program and enter the real world where he had to really make it on his own. So the plan began to form in his mind possibly with no thought to getting caught or the punishment that would follow or maybe didn't care if he got caught and was in prison the rest of his life. JMO.

Any thought to BK pleading guilty and keeping it all to himself???
But he was making the grades and degrees - he was successful academically. He had support and praise from working and educational professionals in his field of study - not just support and praise from his family. He had enough lined up to go into academia if not LE himself. I wouldn’t blame pressure from his family for this travesty.

IANAL, but you do not need a warrant for anything thrown out in a public place.
True. Thinking on it further, would you want his DNA before you found a sample? Seems like something the defense could really go after. "You had his DNA, and then happened to find it on the sheath later?".

I don't know who Ted is, but I kind of agree with the one-target in each bedroom theory. Also, if he comes in through the slider, he's already on the 2nd floor. Why then go to the third if one or both of the other girls were not a target? KG was supposed to be gone. E was not a resident. I think all his plans went to H3ll in a coal bucket when he got in there. I don't think it was supposed to be fast either, he had plans. I feel that he felt a bit cheated and angry that his plans went askew, by the existence of two other humans, to deal with, when he got to the 3rd floor. I also feel LE let us believe that the two survivors saw nothing, heard nothing, and lived downstairs, until now. Just pondering.
Ted Williams, Fox News.

One thing that sort of freaked me out, reading the Probable Cause-when they're tracking the car(towards the end of the document.) was when then mentioned a coffee shop in Clarkston, Washington State. Yesterday, I read police there had reopened an unsolved 1990 knife murder of an 18 yr. old girl, killed while sleeping on her couch. BK would only have been 18 himself in 1990, so it couldn't have been him, or could it?
He’s only 28 - he wasn’t even born yet in 1990.

First time poster. Maybe X was outside her room and saw BK, perhaps even saw the knife. She says aloud to EC "there's someone here". DM opens her door for the 1st time and sees nothing. DM then hears crying coming from X's room so she opens her door again and hears "it's ok, I'm going to help you". Wondering if DM misheard that and BK actually said 'it's ok, I'm not going to hurt you".
WELCOME!

I think BK said something like one of your two suggestions (mirroring Dennis Rader, who apparently told his victims he wasn't going to hurt them right before killing them). Control of the victims for a brief moment. You've captured in those two possible statements what might have been the tone of his voice, therefore why D. thought he said "help you." He might have spoken in a soft and kindly manner.

One thing that sort of freaked me out, reading the Probable Cause-when they're tracking the car(towards the end of the document.) was when then mentioned a coffee shop in Clarkston, Washington State. Yesterday, I read police there had reopened an unsolved 1990 knife murder of an 18 yr. old girl, killed while sleeping on her couch. BK would only have been 18 himself in 1990, so it couldn't have been him, or could it?
BK was born in 1994?

I think there is a problem with the timeline, car observed at 1604 hrs, trying to park or do 3 point turn, then bailing and driving down to the intersection and making a 3 point turn then disappearing. Then car fleeing at high rate of speed at 1620 hrs, that's 16 minutes and doesn't count ingress or egress.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but for attorneys, is there ever a point in working with a defendant that you would say look, this evidence is going to be difficult to contest, and my advice is not to go to trial? Or is it a matter of doing whatever the defendant chooses and making sure that they are afforded the procedural protections to which they’re entitled if you aren’t able to offer much of a challenge to the evidence—or something else entirely?
Brendt Christensen's lawyers opened his defense by stating his guilt.
Then it became a DP case so evidence was presented.
They did that after dragging and delaying and questioning every single thing from the prosecution for 2 full years.
It was awful to watch it.
The odds were utterly stacked against him and the evidence was damning.
May have been a joint decision.
DP is already on the table here because of the laws of Idaho.

1. The PCA is quite clear her body was in her bedroom IMO.

2. My point was not so much to invoke a discussion of sound "in the house" but to point out that if BK knew D was in her room, he should have realized she heard his voice.
Thank you CSIDreamer!

1. I do not necessarily agree with this one.

The PCA on the bottom of page 1 states:
As I approached the room, I could see a body, later identified as Kemodle's, laying on the floor.
[...]
Also in the room was a male, later identified as Ethan Chapin [...]

This sounds as though the body can be seen on approach to the room. In this context, "also" could mean "in addition to this" or "following on from this", as opposed to only meaning "also" as in "as well as".

I do not believe it is 100% that X was in the bedroom on this basis.

2. True. Perhaps he didn't mind if she did, as perhaps his intention was to leave some witnesses alive. JMO

Last edited:
BK is currently 28, born in November 1994.

I bet the murder weapon is at the bottom of the Mississippi River!
It obviously could be. But I would think he may have wanted to keep it for special remembrance? But since the sheath was "missing" I wonder if he made of hid somewhere that he could retrieve? Not knowing of his planned travel with his father, my guess he disposed of it, before his father arrived. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288