CA - Tesla crash off cliff shocked rescuers, Dr. dad arrested for attempted murder of family, Devil’s Slide, Jan 2023

I hope the wife and children recover well from their injuries.
I wonder if they'll stick by him ?

The Websleuther in me wonders whether maybe someone wanted to leave the marriage...

And the other person can't possibly allow their possessions to get away. They need to be the ones who say who will be allowed to leave or to live.

OK. Glad to see a thread here for this case, because it is an amazing case. Not only did the mom and those precious children survive, the father did as well! Now hear me out. How often do we see stories (like Utah) where they are all dead and we have to wonder what was going through their minds? When they do survive it's because they are trying to get away with it (Waitts) or they pretended to be a victim. But how often are we fortunate enough to not only have all of the victims survive, but also the maniac who did it? Handled properly, this could be an excellent text book case to study. I hope they can find a way to pick through his crazy brain and try to gleen any sort of insight into how we might be able to prevent these things from happening. See the signs better, etc... My heart goes out to the mom and children and pray they make full and speedy recoveries and are able to find peace in their lives.

I agree with you completely on this. I was trying to consider anything that I could recall where both the victims and the perp survived when it is this kind of family annihilation....I'm not even sure if that is the correct term if it also involved suicide....but I can't think of any case like this. It is definitely a blessing for his wife and children to have survived this. I sure hope they have a good support system and lots of love right now. I can't imagine the heart ache this poor mother is experiencing to have to realize her husband didn't consider what was best for her or her kids but instead selfishly was going to decide for them.....it is really tragic when these kind of crimes occur.

Nevertheless....I also am very interested in finding out his motive and the logic of his decision-making when taking everyone with him. I hope he will talk.....will be useless if he denies and evades.

I had read an article about Tesla not long ago where they discussed crash tests and the Teslas ability to withstand impact etc. Amazingly the battery everyone complains about helped save this family.

That and of course first responders who risk their own safety to rescue the family.

I swear this family was anointed or protected by supernatural forces. Bless them.

I agree with you completely on this. I was trying to consider anything that I could recall where both the victims and the perp survived when it is this kind of family annihilation....I'm not even sure if that is the correct term if it also involved suicide....but I can't think of any case like this. It is definitely a blessing for his wife and children to have survived this. I sure hope they have a good support system and lots of love right now. I can't imagine the heart ache this poor mother is experiencing to have to realize her husband didn't consider what was best for her or her kids but instead selfishly was going to decide for them.....it is really tragic when these kind of crimes occur.

Nevertheless....I also am very interested in finding out his motive and the logic of his decision-making when taking everyone with him. I hope he will talk.....will be useless if he denies and evades.
Annihilators often do kill themselves, but not always. If you look at the case in Utah a few days ago, or the case in Broken Arrow last year, the annihilator killed all in the home including himself. This is not uncommon.

But if you look at people like John List or Jean-Claude Romand... they survived their families. Romand made a 'gesture' but there are serious doubts he actually believed he would die, and was easily rescued by emergency personnel without injury. List just walked out of his life and created a new one, until a new push with a recon by the late great Frank Bender made him national news and led to his identification and arrest. Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès also walked out of his life, and there are still active warrants out for him. Some think he's dead, I, personally, think that like List, he has started over somewhere without a second thought for the family he slaughtered.

I had read an article about Tesla not long ago where they discussed crash tests and the Teslas ability to withstand impact etc. Amazingly the battery everyone complains about helped save this family.

That and of course first responders who risk their own safety to rescue the family.

I swear this family was anointed or protected by supernatural forces. Bless them.

My nephew is an engineer whose job it is to help design race cars to perform faster with safety in mind. Hence, I tend to agree with you that being inside a Tesla potentially saved their lives. Elon employed the best engineers to design the Tesla although it's not been flawless. Audi's are built like tanks, too. They have horizontal steel bars inside the doors and such.

Those rescuers loved performing this risky rescue operation. It's what they're trained to do. Rescuing survivors must bring a good, warm feeling of satisfaction. Looked very treacherous to me. I don't think the driver thought the vehicle would land on the side of the cliff but instead go way out into the water.
amhoo

I don't think the driver thought the vehicle would land on the side of the cliff but instead go way out into the water.
amhoo
RSBM

People watch too many movies and think cars fly off a cliff like an Evel Kinevel stuntbike off a hundred yard ramp. Actually, things pretty much go straight down, bumping against every little outcrop they pass.

The father is Homer Simpson falling down the cliff ;)
Gravity's a female dog. We're all subject to her relentless forces. Without a nice big ramp and a nitrous booster, that Tesla was never going to fly far. I'm just glad it was apparently built like a tank. With how inescapably horrible it is on the other thread created about a family annihilator this week, at least I can come here, breathe deep, and remember, that despite the best efforts of the person they've arrested, at least in this instance, everybody lives.

I thought I had read everything posted on this thread but I didn't see anything related to run in's with the police aside from calls in 2017 related to concerns of possible people lurking or casing the house for a break in. Aside from that I didn't see anything related to him having run in's. Can you direct me to that article?

It is from this article. Upon further review, they were false alarms or cancelled.

Police visited the home of a Californian doctor charged with the attempted murder his wife and their two young children by intentionally driving their Tesla of the side of a 250ft cliff nine times since 2017.

Dr. Dharmesh A. Patel, 42, has been accused of intentionally trying to kill his wife Neha, 41, and their four-year-old son and seven-year old daughter on Monday after he plunged their car off the side of a cliff.

It has since emerged that cops were called Patel's family home in Pasadena nine times since 2017 in response to burglary alarms and reports of suspicious people in the vicinity.

The incidents were labeled by police as false alarms or canceled, according to records seen by the LA Times. The two suspicious person incidents were reported as 'gone on arrival.'

Interesting to wonder why they happened since 2017.

Behind a paywall, but you can see this little bit.

According to police reports, the incident occurred when Dr. Dharmesh Arvind Patel, a resident of Pasadena in southern California, was returning with his wife Neha and their children after visiting his in-laws in Dublin, California.

"Other neighbors who spoke to KCBS-TV said, “that the Patels drove to Northern California multiple times throughout the year to visit family.”"‘Hard to accept what happened to Patels’
"In 2008, Patel graduated from the Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit, Michigan. His wife, Neha, who hails from Dublin, California, works as a Polytechnic School teacher in Pasadena."

It might not be pre-meditated
Maybe they were arguing and he snapped during the argument, spur of the moment thing

Although it would be convenient there was an opportunity to drive off the cliff at that time
Is it spur of the moment though, if you pass by, then do a u-turn to return to the cliff area? That seems like a legal definition of premeditation. IMO

'Spur of the moment' seems more like when you are driving on a highway with a steep drop off on the side, and you snap and just turn the wheel enough to drive off the cliff. JMO

If there was willful intention to drive the vehicle off the cliff, wouldn't the driver be charged with attempted murder?
An Indian American doctor, who was arrested after driving off his Tesla into a 250 feet cliff Monday, will be tried for attempted murder and child abuse, according to the California Highway Patrol. The 41-year-old Dharmesh Arvind Patel, his wife Neha, also 41, and their two children — 7-year-old daughter and 4-year-old-son — survived the fall off the picturesque Highway 1 at Devil’s Slide in San Mateo County, 20 miles to the south of San Francisco.

Police believe Patel, a radiologist at the Providence Holy Cross Medical Center, deliberately tried to kill himself and his family members. He was arrested while being treated at Stanford Hospital.

www.americanbazaaronline.com

Indian American doctor Dharmesh Patel arrested after driving wife, kids off a 250-foot

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back