ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think this has been covered yet but except for his students and one neighbor commenting, what was BK's life like in Washington? How did he spend his social time? Did he go to the gym? Could he have encountered one of them while working out?
We have that one account of his weird behavior at the PA brewery but nothing from Idaho/ Washington.Surely somebody encountered him socially somewhere.
I have wondered that myself...I am shocked others haven't come forward even if to just make one comment on his personality, like some of the students did....cashier at a grocery store he frequented? Hairdresser? Some one like that in just everyday life.

Agree, there is one snap to hold the knife in the sheath and a lot of the leather sheaths just double the back leather over to create a loop. Really ungainly to have that thing flapping on the thigh. Commandos, like he wanted to be often attach the fighting knife to shoulder straps of packs or LBE.
MOO He put the sheathed junior into a hoodie kangaroo pocket and it fell out. Did not discover it to be gone until at his car.
Knew he had wiped it down, so let it go.

That makes the most sense for his age, these kids wear hoodies everywhere.
He likely had the knife in the sheath inside the pocket of a hoodie. THen he pulled the knife out of the sheath.
It would fit there and be concealed, and also could fall out!

He could then put the knife back into the hoodie and be pretty safe in not cutting himself and keep the blood off of his car.

Makes sense!
JMO

Why No?

I’m not sure I understand. You don’t think he made the posts on social media?
Or you don’t think the social media posts will be used against him?
We don’t know what will be used at the trial- these posts may serve to help convict.

If he called the tip line, where would he call from?
Actually there are a LOT of pay phones in Moscow, ID And also in Pullman, WA.
Each has a specific location given with the number.
Who knew Pay Phone Project that kept up with public pay phones?

LE likely was watching all message boards, including this one, and had a sheet of the payphone numbers in the event someone used one to call in a tip.
Don’t you think?

JMO
I am always skeptical that police are just watching these boards. There are way too many of them, and honestly, they have the information. We don't.

Wouldn't you think that the father would notice the knife missing? He must know.

Yes, the knife that had his father's dna and also the insigna on the sheath. I could be wrong of course, but how many big knives like that would someone have. Once the details of the crime have come out and implicated BK, then I would think the father would look for the knife. I guess that is what "I' would do.
I don't believe that's accurate. His father's DNA was not on the knife. I believe it was just used in the testing of the trash from PA to get a familial match.

He stalked the house/area 12 times at least. He knew exactly who was there. So the attack was targeted as LE said.
Agree, and he knew which cars were parked there in front of the house and who they likely belonged to. Kaylee's vehicle was new, though, but maybe he had seen social media posts earlier that weekend that helped him identify that vehicle. He would likely know E's vehicle if he had been staking out the house for that amount of time (12 times) between August and November.

think the route is to avoid Idaho and get out of Washington as quickly as possible

To get to Loma CO, he pretty much had to go through Idaho - and the map being circulated of his route has him going almost the full length of Idaho.

There's no evidence that he went into Wyoming or otherwise left Pullman heading directly east - he went south. With his new Washington plates he would not stick out all that much in Idaho - although everyone was looking for a white Elantra and for all we know, LE received many tips about his route.

He sure did stay in WA up until about Dec 12-13 or thereabouts. A whole month.

I don't think he saw her, either. if he had seen her I don't think he would have left her alive.
He was so pumped with adrenaline, I imagine he didn't "come down" from the adrenaline rush until after he got home. Adrenaline can do crazy things to a person, I doubt he was exhausted. It takes awhile for adrenaline to "go away", for lack of a better way to put it. It can take up to 30 minutes for someone to "calm down", or even up to an hour. So my guess is that he never even saw DM.
I agree. Adrenaline frenzy then the adrenaline dump after. That night he was probably very tired and then sore the next day.

I am having trouble understanding how he thought he could go in and get out quickly when the (likely) intended victim(s) were not on the first floor. For all his supposed planning, too much could go wrong between the upper floors and his escape that I would think he would pick a safer venue for him to do what he wanted to do and then escape. This house had too many people to be sure of a quick exit without being detected. Even at that hour - even doordash showed up. This seems such an unpredictable place for a criminal to "safely" plan his escape. I am sure there were many other places if he was stalking one or more of them. It keeps bothering me. He flubbed up the scene but it does appear he planned for a while beforehand. His exit strategy was extremely risky. Any thoughts?
My assumption is that he broke in a window or something in the kitchen, and didn't enter or leave via the first floor, code locked front door. This would make sense if his focus was initially just the upstairs room. Just an assumption, but that would mean he was planning to contain the crime to the back corner of the house, avoiding the other rooms.

Last edited:
How did he know the sliding door would be unlocked?
My understanding is that sliding glass doors are very easy to open without signs of tampering. That is why people who have them wedge a broomstick or purchase a device that specifically prevents them from sliding open. Or, maybe he had gone in and out of the house in preparation for the murders and knew that it was often unlocked. IMO

Wouldn't you think that the father would notice the knife missing? He must know.

Yes, the knife that had his father's dna and also the insigna on the sheath. I could be wrong of course, but how many big knives like that would someone have. Once the details of the crime have come out and implicated BK, then I would think the father would look for the knife. I guess that is what "I' would do.

The knife sheath did not have BK’s father’s DNA, but I can see how that could be confusing by the way it was described in the PCA. There is no mention of the knife being BK’s Dad’s knife.

In the PCA it describes the DNA from his parent’s trash as matching the DNA from the sheath to the level of parent- meaning the person whose DNA is in the trash of BK’s parents could not be excluded as being the father of the person’ who’s DNA is on the knife sheath.
This means the sheath DNA came from the son of BK’s Dad.
Which means the sheath DNA came from BK.

They then got a sample of DNA from BK and it matched the DNA on the sheath- 100%.

JMO

Last edited:

It was BK's DNA. The USMC logo is standard on the sheath.

Does anyone know if the footprint on this is exactly as found (direction wise)? That direction suggests he’s facing and heading toward the kitchen (away from DMs door). That, paired with the attention needed a few steps before to step down from the living room - plus he’s intent on getting out and exhausted would suggest that’s it’s plausible he didn’t see DM at all. I think she is lucky to be alive based on this. MOO.

That really depends on if he was wearing it or carrying it.

If the sheath was on a belt, there would be no reason to remove it and doing so would waste time.

I could be very wrong I don’t think he was wearing his sheath.
Exactly. If he was wearing it on his belt then there had to be a gigantic struggle where it was ripped off of him and that just doesn't seem like what happened. More likely that he had the sheathed knife tucked in the back of his pants, in his hand, jacket pocket, etc and simply dropped it at some point without noticing.

He should have had it on his belt if he was going to carry it into the house, but he wouldn't have been able to sit down in the car with it on his belt so he would have had to put it on after he got out and stood up. For some reason he didn't take the time to do that step, which was a huge mistake by him.

The way I'm seeing it now, X is up and about, BK enters the house and steps into the living room area; X sees him, backs up toward the bedroom and tries to arouse E. By this time, though, he's right on her, and stabs her before she can do anything else. He then enters the bedroom, stabs E (who might not even be awake, depending on the circumstances) and then moves upstairs, stabs the two sleeping girls (this is where the dog starts barking, making the commotion that D describes as someone playing with the dog), comes downstairs, sees that E is still alive, dispatches her (making some sort of statement in the process), then leaves. Perhaps he sees D sticking her head out the bedroom door; perhaps he's too zoned out to notice her, but at the very least he's thinking he's done enough mayhem and caused enough ruckus that somebody (maybe even D) is calling the authorities, so he gets while the getting is good. Note that he's said to have driven away at a high rate of speed, which is consonant with his fearing capture, and not a very discrete thing to do.

This is the best I can make of it!
I think that he goes upstairs first and attacks MM and KG (given the noises that DM reports upstairs and the figure who passes by her which the police notes is to exit the house, i.e. he does not go upstairs.) He comes downstairs and then attacks X and E, and I broadly otherwise agree with how you set this out above, in particular that X sees him.

Does anyone know if the footprint on this is exactly as found (direction wise)? That direction suggests he’s facing and heading toward the kitchen (away from DMs door). That, paired with the attention needed a few steps before to step down from the living room - plus he’s intent on getting out and exhausted would suggest that’s it’s plausible he didn’t see DM at all. I think she is lucky to be alive based on this. MOO.

No documents/pics/info showing exactly where the footprint was on the floor have been released and the person who made that virtual tour isn’t involved in the investigation, so no. I think they just randomly put the icon there.

The "bottom snap" on the knife. The underside part of the snap that is touching the handle. The part that gets pushed into the handle and any DNA on that handle every time it is snapped into place. The part with an indent that can hold lots of DNA that does not get wiped off unless you take a teeny tiny brush and clean it out (which most people never do). The handle that probably only got wiped down right before the murders(if at all).

Nicely found.

Last edited:
I don't believe that's accurate. His father's DNA was not on the knife. I believe it was just used in the testing of the trash from PA to get a familial match.
PCA says explicitly that it was BK's DNA on the knife - not the father's!!!!

So you are right. The dad's DNA was from the trash (and likely collected before BK ever arrived back in PA - where they then probably tried to get his in the same fashion).

That's what is meant by "genetic genealogy in this case."

I live in a cold climate and until your post was unaware that some jackets were made with a knife pocket.

I checked all our ‘chores’ coats and they all have various inside pockets but none of them are large enough for a knife that size although I do carry a small folding knife intended to cut bale strings in one of my inside pockets.

I’m wondering if the knife pockets are regional or something that would need to be special ordered.

I also don’t feel his wore his sheath on a belt.

Well, I call it a knife pocket because it's where my dad and uncles carried knives, in jackets like this. The last photo on the page shows the interior pocket. We don't know the exact size of the Ka-Bar knife, but I am assuming it's the one with the 7" blade. I think there are other jackets with a similar design with larger pockets, though it's possible the 11.5 Kabar would fit on the diagonal there.

Or just stick it in the exterior lower pocket.

I actually think BK was into cosplaying military style and was likely a gamer (SPECULATION ONLY, although there are clues). So this jacket has ample exterior pockets if concealment and easy access is wanted and while I can't see the size of the interior pockets, they are described as "cargo" pockets, meaning large.

I think he would have used just the hand warmer pockets in this crime, in any case (but could conceal his weapon on his person in interior pockets when he was out and about).

I believe he practiced taking a knife with him to public and other places, as part of prep for this crime. IMO.

Agree, and he knew which cars were parked there in front of the house and who they likely belonged to. Kaylee's vehicle was new, though, but maybe he had seen social media posts earlier that weekend that helped him identify that vehicle. He would likely know E's vehicle if he had been staking out the house for that amount of time (12 times) between August and November.
MOO he expected one girl in one bed. Got two and then on exit there was someone up downstairs leading to dispatch of two more, failed to notice DMs door open a slit, or it was dark inside the room and so he investigated no further, left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni