GUILTY OR - Dan Brophy, fatally shot at Oregon Culinary Institute, 2 June 2018 *Wife Arrested*

Hi Rickshaw Fan! Can you elaborate as to when they got married? My impression was they were married for 25 years. I guess that’s what they wanted people to think?
They got married the year before DB was murdered. They neglected "by mistake" all that time to go down to the county courthouse (that's how you get married in OR, as everyone knows), so they didn't file the paperwork. NB decided 25 years ago she would marry NB. Really, he seemed like he'd rather cook; she even said so, at one point, but she pretended this was romantic! Unclear if he was humoring her all those years. This was on her own-written biography, but the site has been nuked.
The state didn't invest any energy discussing how NB and DB weren't married.
At about the time they got married, the house deed was changed to include NB. This was in NB cross.
Also, he had just turned 62 when he was murdered. At 62, his wife could get widow's benefits. They were MUCH higher than hers, as NB stated during the trial. Prosecution chose not to elaborate on this point, but it would have got NB maybe an additional $100k over her lifetime. Guessing with that.

Without all this plotting, NB would have got nothing in case of death. It all would have gone to DB's son. Also, the will couldn't be found anywhere. Finally, it was found in the garage where the chickens were. I would imagine maybe there are some red flags here.

Hi again. One more question for you if you don’t mind. Can you elaborate regarding the lawyers reading court watchers comments on the trial online in real time??? TIA!!
The comments were live on KGW. You can look there.

That I can recall:

Defense:
--NB being placed at the end of the table and creeping up on the witnesses, trying to stare them down. Almost right away, she was moved to the attorney's side of the table.
--NB elected not to wear a mask, although court required it. But she had tried to get out of jail about a year before on the grounds that she was super high risk for COVID. She wanted to be released to a bed and breakfast (basically). So, there she was in court: no mask. Commenters pointed out her arrogance in no time, and voilà, she had to obey court rules and mask up.
--you could hear everything the defense table was whispering (lol) and the clacking of their laptops. That soon stopped.
--commenters pointed out NB was lounging in the chair at the witness stand as though she was sitting on a couch after dinner and a few drinks, yakking about this and that. That behavior stopped in a hurry, but NB had trouble maintaining it.
--one witness (a psychologist) was a DISASTER (had no idea what she was talking about. She was on the witness stand with a wrist threaded through the elastic of her mask; it looked like a little girl's purse, and just needed Mary Jane's to complete the picture. That disappeared in the next break.
--a witness (a friend and boss of DB) was called. He wore DB-style t-shirts (mushroom design) and sported a man bun. The next day, NB showed up in an identical bun!!!!!! lmao. Well, that didn't last past the break.

There were so many!
Prosecution in the next post....

Prosecution:

It was very apparent that prosecution didn't catch on right away that the TV coverage could be very beneficial to them. Actually, a family member said later they were upset that coverage was authorized. Televised trials were a new thing there; the was maybe the first?

I actually tipped off the prosecution by email hat defense was reading comments in real time and thereby taking advantage of the broadcast. I also mentioned (in addition to another detail about the crime....maybe more on that later) that in the TV version, you could see EVERYTHING defense was doing, though from the prosecution table you couldn't see the defense table at all. I tipped them off a ways into the trial.
Almost immediately, prosecution was on board. It was like we were a mock jury or something.
--prosecution knew NB had never cried while she sat there for the whole trial; actually, she chuckled several times
--the prosecutor had a habit of hemming and hawing and seeming to bumble along. This seemed to be nerves or something. Commenters noticed it took defense off guard, and the prosecutor from nowhere would deliver a major jab. It was great. We pointed out how all the bumbling was working in prosecution's favor, and it became kind of a thing. New commenters would come on, and just be gobsmacked at how inept the prosecutor seemed (I mean, he seriously DID seem to be fumbling around), but it really was quite genius.
--in the hemming and hawing, "well maybe I won't ask that now", or "okay, you just said that you disagree, so I'll move on", the prosecutor sneaked in all kinds of insinuations. For instance, he had half a sentence that called attention to how NB never did any volunteer work, even though those around her were heavily committed to it. Actually, she sat in bed half the day and drank Starbucks, while DB was working 2 jobs...
--defense played the race card and pin the crime on a random guy who was collecting cans for deposit $ from trash cans in the street (they call it "canning" there). Commenters pointed out that that was exactly the WRONG strategy to use in Portland of all places, since Portlanders are not only protective of unhoused folks, but they had just had a summer of riots on "black lives matter" issues. The prosecutor ran with our points. He got in there and said something like the jury should be embarrassed for defense that they used this tactic, it was unconscionable to use a stereotypical trope with an appalling history, the members of the jury should be deeply offended, etc etc. He got VERY aggressive on this issue, which might otherwise have been kinda risky.
--the prosecutor put a HUGE amount of effort to getting NB's bunkie as a witness (NB had blabbed she did it). Commenters concluded that he really didn't need her testimony for his case. He brought her in after a slew of defense witnesses testified she was a pathological liar, but also made clear he didn't really need her testimony, so jury should make up their own mind about it. Commenters turned the bunkie into a kind of folk hero for all she had to put up with, and the prosecutor ran with this, how ashamed defense should be for treating the bunkie so despicably
--no commenters liked NB's family; I'll bet DB's family really appreciated this.
--what a bogus writer NB is

It went on and on like that for DAYS. What witnesses were lying about, signals from the defense table, how much NB was putting herself in VERY bad light.

Many things commenters couldn't figure out ended up getting answered, like why NB insisted she kept her credit cards in her bra (she wanted to head off the idea that she carried a purse with the gun in it).

The prosecutor got better and better as the trial went on.

The point that I called into the prosecutor's office with (he hooked me up with the lead detective immediately), had to do with NB's habit of giving an elaborate story-excuse for some incriminating detail BEFORE anyone had asked her about it. In the one interview she had with LE, she gave an elaborate story about a bathroom trip. I pointed out that she REHEARSED getting into the OCI when it was locked, and how long it would take to commit the crime, where DB would be standing etc. She rehearsed it 2 weeks before: although she had never done so before, she stopped there on a Saturday morning to use the bathroom. The bathroom was back by the kitchen; that was her timer. The prosecutor elaborated this in the closing.

Yep, the whole trial was a lesson in how trials work (all the sidebars were televised as well), the prosecution witnesses were mesmerizing and heartfelt.... It was a wonderful experience.

Enough!

Last edited:
They got married the year before DB was murdered. They neglected "by mistake" all that time to go down to the county courthouse (that's how you get married in OR, as everyone knows), so they didn't file the paperwork. NB decided 25 years ago she would marry NB. Really, he seemed like he'd rather cook; she even said so, at one point, but she pretended this was romantic! Unclear if he was humoring her all those years. This was on her own-written biography, but the site has been nuked.
The state didn't invest any energy discussing how NB and DB weren't married.
At about the time they got married, the house deed was changed to include NB. This was in NB cross.
Also, he had just turned 62 when he was murdered. At 62, his wife could get widow's benefits. They were MUCH higher than hers, as NB stated during the trial. Prosecution chose not to elaborate on this point, but it would have got NB maybe an additional $100k over her lifetime. Guessing with that.

Without all this plotting, NB would have got nothing in case of death. It all would have gone to DB's son. Also, the will couldn't be found anywhere. Finally, it was found in the garage where the chickens were. I would imagine maybe there are some red flags here.
Thank you! Wow I’ve watched the trial several times, at least NB’s testimony. I really missed this married part. Listening while working from home I guess I miss a thing or two. And her timing wasn’t coincidental.

Prosecution:

It was very apparent that prosecution didn't catch on right away that the TV coverage could be very beneficial to them. Actually, a family member said later they were upset that coverage was authorized. Televised trials were a new thing there; the was maybe the first?

I actually tipped off the prosecution by email hat defense was reading comments in real time and thereby taking advantage of the broadcast. I also mentioned (in addition to another detail about the crime....maybe more on that later) that in the TV version, you could see EVERYTHING defense was doing, though from the prosecution table you couldn't see the defense table at all. I tipped them off a ways into the trial.
Almost immediately, prosecution was on board. It was like we were a mock jury or something.
--prosecution knew NB had never cried while she sat there for the whole trial; actually, she chuckled several times
--the prosecutor had a habit of hemming and hawing and seeming to bumble along. This seemed to be nerves or something. Commenters noticed it took defense off guard, and the prosecutor from nowhere would deliver a major jab. It was great. We pointed out how all the bumbling was working in prosecution's favor, and it became kind of a thing. New commenters would come on, and just be gobsmacked at how inept the prosecutor seemed (I mean, he seriously DID seem to be fumbling around), but it really was quite genius.
--in the hemming and hawing, "well maybe I won't ask that now", or "okay, you just said that you disagree, so I'll move on", the prosecutor sneaked in all kinds of insinuations. For instance, he had half a sentence that called attention to how NB never did any volunteer work, even though those around her were heavily committed to it. Actually, she sat in bed half the day and drank Starbucks, while DB was working 2 jobs...
--defense played the race card and pin the crime on a random guy who was collecting cans for deposit $ from trash cans in the street (they call it "canning" there). Commenters pointed out that that was exactly the WRONG strategy to use in Portland of all places, since Portlanders are not only protective of unhoused folks, but they had just had a summer of riots on "black lives matter" issues. The prosecutor ran with our points. He got in there and said something like the jury should be embarrassed for defense that they used this tactic, it was unconscionable to use a stereotypical trope with an appalling history, the members of the jury should be deeply offended, etc etc. He got VERY aggressive on this issue, which might otherwise have been kinda risky.
--the prosecutor put a HUGE amount of effort to getting NB's bunkie as a witness (NB had blabbed she did it). Commenters concluded that he really didn't need her testimony for his case. He brought her in after a slew of defense witnesses testified she was a pathological liar, but also made clear he didn't really need her testimony, so jury should make up their own mind about it. Commenters turned the bunkie into a kind of folk hero for all she had to put up with, and the prosecutor ran with this, how ashamed defense should be for treating the bunkie so despicably
--no commenters liked NB's family; I'll bet DB's family really appreciated this.
--what a bogus writer NB is

It went on and on like that for DAYS. What witnesses were lying about, signals from the defense table, how much NB was putting herself in VERY bad light.

Many things commenters couldn't figure out ended up getting answered, like why NB insisted she kept her credit cards in her bra (she wanted to head off the idea that she carried a purse with the gun in it).

The prosecutor got better and better as the trial went on.

The point that I called into the prosecutor's office with (he hooked me up with the lead detective immediately), had to do with NB's habit of giving an elaborate story-excuse for some incriminating detail BEFORE anyone had asked her about it. In the one interview she had with LE, she gave an elaborate story about a bathroom trip. I pointed out that she REHEARSED getting into the OCI when it was locked, and how long it would take to commit the crime, where DB would be standing etc. She rehearsed it 2 weeks before: although she had never done so before, she stopped there on a Saturday morning to use the bathroom. The bathroom was back by the kitchen; that was her timer. The prosecutor elaborated this in the closing.

Yep, the whole trial was a lesson in how trials work (all the sidebars were televised as well), the prosecution witnesses were mesmerizing and heartfelt.... It was a wonderful experience.

Enough!
You’re a rockstar Rickshaw Fan! Wow!!

Thank you! Wow I’ve watched the trial several times, at least NB’s testimony. I really missed this married part. Listening while working from home I guess I miss a thing or two. And her timing wasn’t coincidental.
Everything about NB was a lie. She’s not a writer, either. Writers actually write. She says the stories are in her head. The prosecutor caught this, too. It came up in cross, but it was also insinuated all the way along.

You’re a rockstar Rickshaw Fan! Wow!!
It was kinda fun the moment prosecution clicked that they could use court video to big advantage.
I was also kinda wowed at how fast they connected me with their lead detective when I pointed out NB had rehearsed the timing onsite. Within maybe an hour. The detective was in TX at the time.
In that visit NB had with the detectives in the trailer at the murder site, she also had an elaborate story about how the shower door glass had shattered and DB needed stitches. Since NB plays defense as offense, IMO that story was to cover a prior attempt at murdering DB. There was also an earlier HUGE fire in their kitchen, which came up…. There was a murder writers’ cruise they went on….

New movie coming up on Lifetime January 14, 2023.

How to Murder Your Husband

Starring Cybill Shepherd

When? Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 8pm EST

What’s It About? Based on a true story, Nancy Crampton-Brophy (Cybill Shepherd), seemed to have a knack for writing about murder. The Portland-based romance-thriller novelist authored books about relationships that were tumultuous, while using seductive men on the covers to lure in her readers. Often, her books featured women protagonists who fantasized about killing their own husbands or fleeing their husbands and faking their own deaths. And then, in 2022 in a shocking turn of events, Brophy was convicted of killing her own husband (Steve Guttenberg).

It was kinda fun the moment prosecution clicked that they could use court video to big advantage.
I was also kinda wowed at how fast they connected me with their lead detective when I pointed out NB had rehearsed the timing onsite. Within maybe an hour. The detective was in TX at the time.
In that visit NB had with the detectives in the trailer at the murder site, she also had an elaborate story about how the shower door glass had shattered and DB needed stitches. Since NB plays defense as offense, IMO that story was to cover a prior attempt at murdering DB. There was also an earlier HUGE fire in their kitchen, which came up…. There was a murder writers’ cruise they went on….
Her attorney asked her about Dan’s shower door accident at the trial. Long elaborate story as per usual. But I wondered what in the heck that had to do with anything. Nothing that I could figure. There’s a Lifetime movie coming up soon. I forget which day. I think it’s called “how to murder your husband”. Cybil Shepherd plays nancy and Steve Guttenberg plays Dan.

New movie coming up on Lifetime January 14, 2023.

How to Murder Your Husband

Starring Cybill Shepherd

When? Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 8pm EST

What’s It About? Based on a true story, Nancy Crampton-Brophy (Cybill Shepherd), seemed to have a knack for writing about murder. The Portland-based romance-thriller novelist authored books about relationships that were tumultuous, while using seductive men on the covers to lure in her readers. Often, her books featured women protagonists who fantasized about killing their own husbands or fleeing their husbands and faking their own deaths. And then, in 2022 in a shocking turn of events, Brophy was convicted of killing her own husband (Steve Guttenberg).
Sorry Bette! I posted before I saw this!

Her attorney asked her about Dan’s shower door accident at the trial. Long elaborate story as per usual. But I wondered what in the heck that had to do with anything. Nothing that I could figure. There’s a Lifetime movie coming up soon. I forget which day. I think it’s called “how to murder your husband”. Cybil Shepherd plays nancy and Steve Guttenberg plays Dan.
NB offered this story in the interview with LE right after the murder during the death reveal. It seems all the stories in that conversation were designed to end run details that might come up and suggest she was culpable. E.g. her "bathroom run" exactly 2 weeks before (to the day/hour/minute) of the fatal event. During the trial, prosecution had her checking out cameras during this "bathroom break". In my mind, she had a stop watch and she was rehearsing the crime. The bathroom was right near the kitchen where DB was shot, so, excellent timer. She knew exactly how long everything was going to take.

IMO the shower incident was a prior attempt on DB, or at the very least, an attack. NB said in ther LE interview that "Dan was having a bad week" between the shower door episode (which she imputed to him) and getting himself murdered. Seriously, who says that? Especially implying the victim had some sort of butterfingers and managed to get himself hurt.

I wish LE had tested the kitchen knives for blood, and whether the shower door in fact broke. A projectile, perhaps? Did she think she might have left some red evidence between the floor boards or ground into the linoleum, and she had a bloody glass-cut hand cleverly inserted into her story when LE interviewed her? Maybe she wanted to explain the quantity of cleaning supplies used on the floor by saying it was clean up from a leak?

I would venture to bet there were other attempts on DB's life. Shortly before NB murdered him, the two went on a cruise for mystery story writers: standard venue for an Agatha-Christie style shove overboard, no one any the wiser. And what a felicitous convergence of events!!! A mystery writers cruise! Life imitates fiction! Right-ee-ho.

The LE interview also had some weird story about a leak in the bathroom on the day of the murder. Apart from NB's bizarre expectation that DB would take care of it (as he did everything else) though she claimed she was the one to discover the leak (and let it drip all night), one wonders whether there was a leak at all, or simply a pooled liquid on the floor....

Their whole kitchen also went up in flames at some point several years before. A wire was misplaced on the panel or some such, but one wonders if this was arson.....

So much suspicious history...A lot of scope for speculation.

I feel for DB's poor family. I wonder if they never liked NB (surely, they saw through her constant lies and gaslighting?), but went along because this was the woman DB loved. His son implied as much in his victim's statement. He also said that NB had fraudulently neglected to pay her employees and their SS. Red flags for years. When I saw how she sat in the witness chair, lounging as though on the couch after a dinner with friends, after a glass or two of red, sucking all the air in the room with her endless, self-involved jabber, I couldn't imagine that that family, with all their sensitivity, hadn't assessed her unfavorably. The sneering, curling of lip, aggression, self-centeredness were full-on during the trial; I can't think but the family hadn't noticed this before. They have big hearts, but they're not clueless.

IMO the texture of this crime is too complex for a movie. Better to watch the prosecution's case for the whole trial.

Last edited:
PS If you're wanting another intense case, try the Chandler Halderson trial from early 2022, including interrogations, squad car rides, etc. This was an EXEMPLARY case for many reasons, including the conciseness (contrast big-time with Brophy), and every which variety of forensic evidence, all nicely explained. Brilliant. Caring.

Now, I know about bone fragment analysis, pixels, break analysis, trace blood testing, the chemical composition of luminol, SnapChat, cell pings, how burning bodies smell like pork roast, crime site search procedure....

The CH case is a parricide, a matricide, and a dismembering. He burned their heads in the home fireplace. Do-nothing, life of lies, younger version of NB.

Last edited:
PS If you're wanting another intense case, try the Chandler Halderson trial from early 2022, including interrogations, squad car rides, etc. This was an EXEMPLARY case for many reasons, including the conciseness (contrast big-time with Brophy), and every which variety of forensic evidence, all nicely explained. Brilliant. Caring.

Now, I know about bone fragment analysis, pixels, break analysis, trace blood testing, the chemical composition of luminol, SnapChat, cell pings, how burning bodies smell like pork roast, crime site search procedure....

The CH case is a parricide, a matricide, and a dismembering. He burned their heads in the home fireplace. Do-nothing, life of lies, younger version of NB.
OMG! I don’t think I could handle that one lol. (although nothing funny about that at all!)

NB offered this story in the interview with LE right after the murder during the death reveal. It seems all the stories in that conversation were designed to end run details that might come up and suggest she was culpable. E.g. her "bathroom run" exactly 2 weeks before (to the day/hour/minute) of the fatal event. During the trial, prosecution had her checking out cameras during this "bathroom break". In my mind, she had a stop watch and she was rehearsing the crime. The bathroom was right near the kitchen where DB was shot, so, excellent timer. She knew exactly how long everything was going to take.

IMO the shower incident was a prior attempt on DB, or at the very least, an attack. NB said in ther LE interview that "Dan was having a bad week" between the shower door episode (which she imputed to him) and getting himself murdered. Seriously, who says that? Especially implying the victim had some sort of butterfingers and managed to get himself hurt.

I wish LE had tested the kitchen knives for blood, and whether the shower door in fact broke. A projectile, perhaps? Did she think she might have left some red evidence between the floor boards or ground into the linoleum, and she had a bloody glass-cut hand cleverly inserted into her story when LE interviewed her? Maybe she wanted to explain the quantity of cleaning supplies used on the floor by saying it was clean up from a leak?

I would venture to bet there were other attempts on DB's life. Shortly before NB murdered him, the two went on a cruise for mystery story writers: standard venue for an Agatha-Christie style shove overboard, no one any the wiser. And what a felicitous convergence of events!!! A mystery writers cruise! Life imitates fiction! Right-ee-ho.

The LE interview also had some weird story about a leak in the bathroom on the day of the murder. Apart from NB's bizarre expectation that DB would take care of it (as he did everything else) though she claimed she was the one to discover the leak (and let it drip all night), one wonders whether there was a leak at all, or simply a pooled liquid on the floor....

Their whole kitchen also went up in flames at some point several years before. A wire was misplaced on the panel or some such, but one wonders if this was arson.....

So much suspicious history...A lot of scope for speculation.

I feel for DB's poor family. I wonder if they never liked NB (surely, they saw through her constant lies and gaslighting?), but went along because this was the woman DB loved. His son implied as much in his victim's statement. He also said that NB had fraudulently neglected to pay her employees and their SS. Red flags for years. When I saw how she sat in the witness chair, lounging as though on the couch after a dinner with friends, after a glass or two of red, sucking all the air in the room with her endless, self-involved jabber, I couldn't imagine that that family, with all their sensitivity, hadn't assessed her unfavorably. The sneering, curling of lip, aggression, self-centeredness were full-on during the trial; I can't think but the family hadn't noticed this before. They have big hearts, but they're not clueless.

IMO the texture of this crime is too complex for a movie. Better to watch the prosecution's case for the whole trial.
There’s so much going on with this one, you’re right! I keep watching, we’ll listening, to the trial every day while I’m working. I catch new things all the time and honestly she contradicted herself several times where no one caught it. The prosecution closing was brilliant. He completely tied everything together, all the puzzle pieces, one of those 10,000 pieces, all white, put together beautifully. Now… do you think Dan was aware of her attempts? Your theory about the leaky faucet… wow yes! I never thought of that. So much of what you said, wow! What about the psychologist (?) for the defense that was totally in love with Nancy. Hahaha she was really interesting sometimes but she sure loved Nancy. So much to ask you and talk about! Poor Dan. I guess he really really loved her huh? He did everything for her. Brought her coffee every morning. Even when they were on vaca. She had him take that 2nd job at Avameer (?) that even had him working Christmas Eve and Christmas morning so that he would ring home more money. He got up at 4-4:30am work or not. Fed the chickens, walked dogs (she didn’t seem to like the dogs which made me “see” her). It sounds like he worked 6 or 7 days a week. He cooked her dinner every night. He did all the laundry. I mean, come on. She’s got a really funny sense of humor so he probably loved that about her. But what did she do all day except have lunch with her writer friends. She ate out so much and they were supposedly really hurting for money. She couldn’t lift a finger for anything. I’m rambling now but I’m happy to find someone who has watched this but especially you with your amaaaazing thoughts! I have to re-read now!

There’s so much going on with this one, you’re right! I keep watching, we’ll listening, to the trial every day while I’m working. I catch new things all the time and honestly she contradicted herself several times where no one caught it. The prosecution closing was brilliant. He completely tied everything together, all the puzzle pieces, one of those 10,000 pieces, all white, put together beautifully. Now… do you think Dan was aware of her attempts? Your theory about the leaky faucet… wow yes! I never thought of that. So much of what you said, wow! What about the psychologist (?) for the defense that was totally in love with Nancy. Hahaha she was really interesting sometimes but she sure loved Nancy. So much to ask you and talk about! Poor Dan. I guess he really really loved her huh? He did everything for her. Brought her coffee every morning. Even when they were on vaca. She had him take that 2nd job at Avameer (?) that even had him working Christmas Eve and Christmas morning so that he would ring home more money. He got up at 4-4:30am work or not. Fed the chickens, walked dogs (she didn’t seem to like the dogs which made me “see” her). It sounds like he worked 6 or 7 days a week. He cooked her dinner every night. He did all the laundry. I mean, come on. She’s got a really funny sense of humor so he probably loved that about her. But what did she do all day except have lunch with her writer friends. She ate out so much and they were supposedly really hurting for money. She couldn’t lift a finger for anything. I’m rambling now but I’m happy to find someone who has watched this but especially you with your amaaaazing thoughts! I have to re-read now!
One more thing before I forget. So much of “that” morning is so unbelievable and fascinating. One of the things that gave me the side eye even the first time I heard it and then now every time I hear it again… when she goes to OCI she says she walked up to a policeman and said “I’m Nancy Brophy”. Is it just me or is that … suspicious at the very least?

I think DB had to have known NB was dangerous, if I’m right in thinking she had attacked him overtly at least several times. He had moved out of their bedroom. He was watching a lot of TV, which NB complained about, but which is also a way of “checking out”.

NB had at least 2 Starbucks a day. I think her drink was about $5. That’s at least $300 per month that could have gone to the mortgage.

NB had a gardener to tend to “her” front yard that she wouldn’t let DB touch. She had expensive beauty treatments: her hair didn’t look any better than when her inmate friends did it FWIW.

Another factoid. I wasn’t able to find any info on NB’s personal life before DB. Interesting. On the stand, she said she was married to an LE officer.

Early in their relationship, NB tells a story about how she knew she was going to marry DB when she was in the tub and invited DB to join her. He declined: he said he was too busy making the hors d’oeuvres. This signals to me that he wasn’t invested in the relationship (he enjoyed cooking more), but NB thought this was the most romantic thing ever! I really don’t think DB was attached at all to being married (he didn’t actually sign the papers for 20 years or so), but he went along with NB’s fiction that they were.

Another indicator in that direction: NB wasn’t on the deed to the house until right before the murder.

Consider the implications of not being married: if there was a split, NB could potentially have been left with nothing. I speculate there was a split in the offing. The murder was a long-time coming IMO, with the marriage certificate being a significant step.

If NB killed DB without being married, all his property could have gone to his son. NB would potentially have nothing. Interestingly, after DB’s death no one could find the will. I would venture to bet NB had something to do with either the contents or the fact it was hidden. I wish LE had the signature verified, although they didn’t need this extra item for their case.

NB was also eligible to collect DB’s widow benefits (i.e. the entire amount) after DB turned 62. At death, he was 62.

Overall, I think this murder was in the works since they met. Way back when, she was lying on life insurance applications for DB. If she hadn’t lied, the policies wouldn’t have been underwritten. Greed from the get-go.

Last edited:
Tonight (Saturday) on Lifetime:

How to Murder Your Husband: The Nancy Brophy Story
8:00 - 10:13p
Cybill Shepherd Steve Guttenberg Stephen Tolkin
(2023)Author Nancy Crampton-Brophy often writes stories about female protagonists who fantasize about killing their own husbands. In a shocking and ironic turn of events, Brophy faces accusations of doing the same thing in real life.

Everything about NB was a lie. She’s not a writer, either. Writers actually write. She says the stories are in her head. The prosecutor caught this, too. It came up in cross, but it was also insinuated all the way along.
Well, actually I'm a concert pianist, a trapeze artist, and a deep sea diver. What's that you say? No, I don't actually do any of these things, but I do them in my head. A bit of respect, please!

Last edited:
NB had a gardener to tend to “her” front yard that she wouldn’t let DB touch. She had expensive beauty treatments: her hair didn’t look any better than when her inmate friends did it FWIW.
Maybe she was growing monkshood, hemlock and deadly nightshade in the front garden. Maybe when it was ready she would have suddenly decided to make her beloved husband a lovely stirfry or stew. And I'm not joking.

Maybe she was growing monkshood, hemlock and deadly nightshade in the front garden. Maybe when it was ready she would have suddenly decided to make her beloved husband a lovely stirfry or stew. And I'm not joking.
Yep! It could have been castor beans. No one would be any the wiser, they're easy to harvest, and someone is in jail already for trying to kill off her fellow inmates at a VT long-term care facility (you gotta love it), so the possibility was out there.

IMO she tried out many scenarios before the shooting. IMO she'd been trying for years. Perhaps that's the reason she became a "writer" of romantic who-dunnits and hung out with her "writers" club.

There was: a bed and breakfast trip shortly before the murder; a mystery writers' cruise shortly before the murder; a major fire in the kitchen; the broken shower door; magically, a major water leak the night before the murder (though she might have made this up; she certainly didn't bother to mop it up herself, but said DB did the next morning).

NB couldn't try poison, since DB had a very sensitive, chef's, palate. She could maybe have tried wine, though. She had a story about wine, maybe? And, according to her, she never cooked, so she certainly couldn't have concocted something.

I'm sure we can think up more. And I'll bet they were all based on stock murder plots from other authors, e.g. Agatha Christie. They were all "cozies".

NB told prepared stories about details others might find suspicious. She'd tell them before the possibility anyone could form a suspicion, heading them off, as it were. She did this in her interview with LE.

We still haven't been told what crimes she committed in prison. This was a detail in her bond hearing, when she was denied home release because of her "extremely high risk of fatal COVID". Note: she did not wear a mask when her court case began. She was the only unmasked person in the court, and masking was required. KGW YT followers mentioned the hypocrisy, and voilà, she came out masked after the next break and going forward.

I'm fascinated with how insufferable this woman is (plus her whole life is a lie, sneers every other moment), do-nothing, big spender, consummate narcissist, bigot, all charade, no real, and how people put up with her for years.

I'm hoping in the course of time, she's assigned to the prison kitchen and required to keep the prison chickens. Grubby showers, too, no tub. 25 years of that.

When she gets out (if she survives that long) she'll only be entitled to her own SS (not Dan's, which she got because he was over 62 when he died), which was paltry. IIRC in OR, there's no Medicaid for non-disabled singles, she'd have serious trouble getting housing because of her record, won't be able to work because she'll be too old....She'd have had financial trouble with all of this if DB had sent her packing (especially before they were married, and she wasn't on the house deed; he paid everything for the house, and he might have brought the equity into the relationship, so no even split; their effects would have had zero value in a sale; and there was a high cost to prepare the house for sale, so she wouldn't have got a whole lot of anything if she got half.).
NB is not entitled to SS while she's in prison, so no chance to accumulate much savings.

Haha...I doubt NB even worked for 10 years and paid into SS. She notoriously didn't pay SS taxes for her employees.

This gets better... It seems she has to pay Medicare Part B while she's in prison, or else she'll incur penalties when out of prison, and maybe have to pay retroactively for all that time... That's how I read it. This would likely use up her ENTIRE prison pay check.

Here's the castor beans case:

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa