ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you're hoping he writes something, right? I am hoping so too, but then I feel bad about hoping that he has that experience.

I read Jesperson's "autobiography" (much like the BTK "memoir"). They cannot profit monetarily (but someone will) but they get to kind of immortalize themselves (in their own minds and in the pixels of the internet).

I feel like I have some ideas about his motivations, and it's possible there is nothing beyond what we already know. But I sure would like to know if any specific things triggered him in the weeks and months before the crimes.
I'd like to compare the dates when (if) he was turned down at the police department with the first time he surveilled the house.

Last edited:
I'm having a real problem justifying the cost of flying across country to Washington State to help your son drive home 2600 miles away. Certainly, a couple nights of lodging would be much cheaper than someone flying across country to help someone drive non-stop home. Doesn't make sense to me any way I can try to make it make sense, know what I mean?
I think there could be multiple reasons that BCK didn't want to fly home:

1) He had to get the car away from the crime - as far as he could.
2) HE wanted to get away from the crime. He had to be VERY paranoid especially after LE announced they were looking for a white Hyundai Elantra and he know it was sitting outside of his apartment. He had to not be sleeping from paranoia, adrenaline, his mind racing about killing 4 people, his mind racing about going to prison for the rest of his life, his mind racing about whether he would get caught, his mind replaying the murders over and over and over, staying up all night reading online discussion boards - Twitter, Websleuths, Reddit, Facebook, TikTok, Instagram.
2) He may have wanted to sell the car in PA, knowing he could't sell it in ID/WA without attracting unwanted attention.
3) He still had the knife with him. He couldn't get it past security at an airport if he flew home, and he may not have wanted to leave it in his Apt. for fear it could be found if someone connected him to the car and the crime.

Source https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR29-22-2805/122922 Affidavit - Exhibit A - Statement of Brett Payne.pdf
"On December 23,2022,Iwas granted a search warrant for Kohberger's historical CSLI
from June 23, 2022 to current, prospective location information, and a Pen Register/Trap and
Trace on the 8458 Phone to aid in efforts to determine if Kohberger stalked any of the victims in
this case prior to the offense, conducted surveillance on the King Road Residence, was in contact
with any of the victims' associates before or after the alleged offense, any locations that may
contain evidence of the murders that occurred on November I 3 , 2O22, the location of the white
Elantra registered to Kohberger, as well as the location ofKohberger."

Can anyone here with knowledge, explain what is involved in "a Pen Register/Trap andTrace" on a phone? Is that remote access to texts/calls and location data( for e,g, from a google account, not just location data usage from connection with towers)?

@jepop

Pen Register (per Wikipedia)

A pen register, or dialed number recorder (DNR), is an electronic device that records all numbers called from a particular telephone line.[1] The term has come to include any device or program that performs similar functions to an original pen register, including programs monitoring Internet communications.

Trap and Trace (per Wikipedia)

A trap and trace device captures incoming phone calls to a particular number, similar to a how a pen register captures outgoing phone calls.

Murphy was put in a separate room either before or after the fact. Not sure if he had already been in there or if he was put in there during/after but he was found in separate space
I think Kaylee was in her room. And BCK had snuck into the house and up to Maddie's room and may have begun stabbing her. Murphy started barking and Kaylee heard noises. So, she opened her door and said, "There's someone here" or "Is someone here?" and closed her door to keep the dog inside as she went over to Maddie's room to find out what was going on or if Maddie had heard anything. As soon as she opened Maddie's door, he stabbed her and she may have struggled with him until he stabbed her again. So, DM heard the dog barking and movement upstairs and she thought Kaylee was playing with Murphy. And that's how Murphy ended up in Kaylee's room by himself with no blood on him. I think Xana and Ethan were, unfortunately, collateral damage.

IMO, his plan was in motion, no chance to put it off, Monday had to be in class, it had to be now, his "kill" switch was tripped and he couldn't stop himself, he would kill whoever was awake and he did just that.

jmo
Door Dash arrived a few minutes before he did, so he may not have seen the Door Dash delivery. Or, he saw a car pull up to the house and kept driving up and down those side streets until the car left.

I am threads behind, and as a student, I was back in class today.
I just wanted to run an idea by you all.
Of course, all JMO.

Could BK have been treating this whole, awful tragedy as a 'thesis'? The ultimate research?

Was this orchestrated to be his actual Ph.D. thesis?

I can only speak from my own experience in Canada. There are grants allocated for learning accommodations and prizes and scholarships, which are directed towards paying for tuition.
It's just something I've never heard of in the US. Not to say there aren't scholarships available to people with certain learning disabilities, but I've only encountered accommodations in the form of approved modifications to help students with learning and with assignments.

When I was a TA in grad school, I had students who had learning accommodations, and it could range from everything to having a note taker to extra time on tests. The onus was still on the student to make arrangements with me for those accommodations. I'd be informed via email at the start of the semester which students had accommodations, but if they didn't approach me for follow-up, I couldn't provide them those accommodations. I couldn't even bring it up to them without them bringing it up first. I also had other students disclose to me that they had diagnosed learning disabilities that they'd not reported, so they weren't eligible for accommodations. I tried to encourage them to follow through with the required office so they'd be eligible, but again, that was on them to seek it.

My own personal experience with grad school is I received a stipend and tuition waiver in exchange for being a TA. My guess is that BK had something similar, though the exact details will differ by institution. MOO

I am threads behind, and as a student, I was back in class today.
I just wanted to run an idea by you all.
Of course, all JMO.

Could BK have been treating this whole, awful tragedy as a 'thesis'? The ultimate research?

Was this orchestrated to be his actual Ph.D. thesis?
I don't think there's any way he could turn in a dissertation about murders he'd committed. MOO There's just a slew of ethical violations there, and if he was crazy enough to try it, I'd imagine he'd be pretty promptly reported by his advisers.

Also on a purely academic level, you can't just submit narrative for the social sciences. You need data and/or some form of research to underpin your findings. Killing people and then writing about it is not conducting research.

I don't think there's any way he could turn in a dissertation about murders he'd committed. MOO There's just a slew of ethical violations there, and if he was crazy enough to try it, I'd imagine he'd be pretty promptly reported by his advisers.

Also on a purely academic level, you can't just submit narrative for the social sciences. You need data and/or some form of research to underpin your findings. Killing people and then writing about it is not conducting research.
You are absolutely correct. There was a misunderstanding. To clarify, I wasn't suggesting this thesis was approved, let alone submitted.

'
Casey Arntz: The last time I saw Bryan was in 2017 at one of my friend's wedding. … And I gave him a hug and I said, "You look so good. Like I'm so proud of you."

And both Bree and Casey say it appeared that Kohberger had a new focus — his studies in criminology.

Bree: He wanted to do something that impacted people in a good way.

Bree: People were not his strong suit. And think through his criminology studies, he was really trying to understand humans and to try and understand himself.

Now Bree, like many who knew him, struggles to connect the person they once knew to this unspeakable crime.

Bree: I think a lot of people who were close to him are feeling this massive amount of guilt … "Why didn't I see it? Did I miss something? … Where did it go wrong?'

Crazy. His eyes WERE blue

Attachments

• ED30FCFC-AAC7-4DD7-A18F-5A028C381253.jpeg
    ED30FCFC-AAC7-4DD7-A18F-5A028C381253.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 28
I just can't get past the knife sheath being left behind let alone it being brought at all. Jmoo
Agreed, except the picture of the ka bar with two edged sides makes it look dangerous even to carry, like if he lifted the slider door up to bypass the latch lock (if it was locked) did he set the knife down on the ground while doing it?, thus the sheath. Earlier someone mentioned if he wore a hoodie with a muff pocket on the front, as well as another wondered if he slipped it between his lower back and pants. Can't say if he carried a two sided razor blade knife loose, but he tripped up on so many other details who knows if was on purpose or intentional.

ETA, do you think it was intentional or he was being framed, or?

@jepop

Pen Register (per Wikipedia)

A pen register, or dialed number recorder (DNR), is an electronic device that records all numbers called from a particular telephone line.[1] The term has come to include any device or program that performs similar functions to an original pen register, including programs monitoring Internet communications.

Trap and Trace (per Wikipedia)

A trap and trace device captures incoming phone calls to a particular number, similar to a how a pen register captures outgoing phone calls.
Thank you very much! So basically all outgoing data (Calls,texts, data usage, internet usage) became remotely accessible to LE from 23 Dec to the arrest on 31 December, and all incoming calls etc from that date (Assuming phone taken into evidence on Dec 31st).

From PCA wording It isn't really clear to me whether the PEN register and the trap and trace were somehow also utilised to gain access to all historical data, calls, texts incoming and outgoing from June June 2022 to 23rd December.

I get the impression that all historical data was also included in the second warrant but the wording is kinda muddy on this imo. Has this been resolved here somewhere that anyone knows of? Thanks alot for taking the time if anyone is aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288