OK - Athena Brownfield, 4, found deceased, Cyril, 10 Jan 2023 *Arrest*

OSBI has moved the investigation into a criminal investigation.

bolding mine.
Apparently LE aren't satisfied with the answers to their questions.....
Imo.

Interesting that they said they were finding things in their search that they are hoping will help them find Athena.

I really wish they would clarify the whole parents/guardians situation. I’m still not sure who’s who and how these two girls came to be living in that particular home.

I sure hope they find her soon. It’s been far too long already.
bolding mine.
Apparently LE aren't satisfied with the answers to their questions.....
Imo.
How come I’m not surprised?

I think we all knew this was coming. It's just been too long for someone not to have seen or heard her, or found her. No scrap of clothing, not a shoe, nothing.
She couldn't go this long without eating or drinking, no one has heard a little girl crying or yelling, and we have seen this type thing before, and before, and before.
Kidnapping hasn't been ruled out, but...
SMH.

I don’t like this one bit! It sounds like LE is getting all kinds of mixed stories from those involved. Apparently now they’re saying she’s 4 and not 3. I know that’s not a huge detail but it makes me wonder what other details aren’t being given to LE. It feels like they are getting a lot of bad information and minutes are crucial right now. I pray this ends well.

‘We need to find this little girl’: Search continues for missing 4-year-old Cyril girl
A recent birthday?

@OkieGal, I am in OK, as well. Not real familiar with Cyril. Is there lots of water around? How close to Mt. Scott and the wildlife refuge?
Many prayers she is found safely.
No, there is not a great deal of water around. There is a little creek and a pond that they were searching today. It is about 35 miles away from the Wildlife Refuge.

Bless you for that, @OkieGal -- the volunteers will never forget your kindness, never.
Thank you. I wish I could have done more. I took several cases of water and snack food. I wanted to help search but they were limiting searchers when I was there. Then the OSBI told us to go home - that the case was going to be changing to a criminal investigation. I will be praying all night that this precious little girl is found soon.

It's weird that the 5-year-old can't describe what happened. Shouldn't be that hard
Honestly, we don't know what she has been able to tell LE. Personally, I don't see this as odd, it's been days, she's 5 and hungry and confused and scared. IMO

I'm editing to add.. KUDO'S to the postal worker who was most certainly on point!!!

Last edited:
Our Emergency Response Team organized grid searches today in Cyril for missing 4-year-old, Athena Brownfield. Our Troop W personnel searched bodies of water in and around the town with side scan sonar. We continue to offer any and all resources to our partners at Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation - Authorized Page to help bring the little girl home.

Attachments

• CD03357E-F69D-4048-B48B-F29A4A428A6C.jpeg
    CD03357E-F69D-4048-B48B-F29A4A428A6C.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 5
  • F1C6E28E-796E-4A7F-9871-EFAF16BC9621.jpeg
    F1C6E28E-796E-4A7F-9871-EFAF16BC9621.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 4
Thank you. I wish I could have done more. I took several cases of water and snack food. I wanted to help search but they were limiting searchers when I was there. Then the OSBI told us to go home - that the case was going to be changing to a criminal investigation. I will be praying all night that this precious little girl is found soon.
bbm
I'm guessing that LE have new information they're not releasing at this time ?
Otherwise it would still be just "missing".
What do the rest of you think ?
General question.
Imo.

bbm
I'm guessing that LE have new information they're not releasing at this time ?
Otherwise it would still be just "missing".
What do the rest of you think ?
General question.
Imo.
I think LE was suspicious from the beginning -- as were we all regretfully were here, IMO -- and now they have found enuff evidence to look at it as foul play or neglect, etc.

Wow. So this isn't a case where the parents/caregivers alerted authorities and went with the "we put her to bed, woke up and she was gone" story? This all came about due to a postal worker finding the 5 year old / older sister wandering around outside and while investigating that, discovered that Athena, the 3 year old younger sister was missing? How incredibly sad.

Reminds me a bit of the Baby Amiah Robertson case. Police were called (either by the mother or I think a 3rd party) to a hotel for a domestic dispute between mom and boyfriend, and at some point during that fiasco, mom casually mentioned that oh yeah, and my baby has been missing for some time and my boyfriend was the last one to have had her.

I hope this case has a better outcome but with how this all came about, I just don't see how.

Last edited:

Details regarding the property where the girls were staying are also not immediately clear and the whereabouts of the girls' parents or guardians at the time of Athena's disappearance are not known.

Foster said an Amber Alert has not been issued as her disappearance does not meet specific guidelines.

Setting up a timeline of confirmed facts, as this seems to be another where, sadly, there's a lot of confusion and rumors.

ATHENA BROWNFIELD, age 4 (originally reported as 3), wearing pink butterfly sweater and pink pants, may have limited verbal skills [3]

-------------------------------------------------

F JAN 6
updated presumed date of disappearance [6]

Sa JAN 7
initial presumed date of disappearance [2] - cf F JAN 6

Su JAN 8

M JAN 9

A's 5yo sister found by OSBI agent? [2@1:45] - cf T JAN 10

T JAN 10 - REPORTED MISSING

• 2PM - A reported missing from 225 W Nebraska Ave [1] when 5yo sister found unattended near home by mail carrier [2] who reported to Cyril police [6]; 5yo did not require medical care and is now in protective custody [3@0:45]
  • PM - OSBI posts press release asking for public's help in finding A [1]
  • 5PM - Search including helicopters, 250 searchers [2@1:00]
  • 9PM - residence marked off with crime tape [6], executing search warrant as part of "standard procedure" [3]
W JAN 11
  • FBI confirmed to be assisting on case, though not on location [6]
  • 7:30AM - prayer vigil held at First Baptist Church [3]
  • LE holds press conference [3]
    • "collecting items that could be relevant" [3@0:35]
    • checking land, waterways/ponds/sonar [3@3:00]
  • 4PM - search (including vacant houses, waterways, search dogs, drones, etc) concludes [4]
  • PM - Estranged paternal grandmother speaks to media [5]
Th JAN 12
  • AM - trash pickup halted until cleared by OSBI [7]

[1] OSBI FB post - Jan 10
[2] Authorities, Community Search for Missing 4-Year-Old w VIDEO - NewsOn6 - Jan 11
[3] Search continues for missing 4-Year-Old w PRESSER VIDEO & TRANSCRIPT - KOCO - Jan 11
[4] OSBI completes grid search - ABC7 - Jan 11
[5] Grandmother of missing 4-year-old - ABC7 - Jan 11
[6] Latest on search for Athena - ABC7 - Jan 11
[7] Cyril halts all trash pick-up - ABC7 - Jan 12

Setting up a timeline of confirmed facts, as this seems to be another where, sadly, there's a lot of confusion and rumors.

ATHENA BROWNFIELD, age 4 (originally reported as 3), wearing pink butterfly sweater and pink pants, may have limited verbal skills [3]

-------------------------------------------------

F JAN 6
updated presumed date of disappearance [6]

Sa JAN 7
initial presumed date of disappearance [2] - cf F JAN 6

Su JAN 8

M JAN 9

A's 5yo sister found by OSBI agent? [2@1:45] - cf T JAN 10

T JAN 10 - REPORTED MISSING

• 2PM - A reported missing from 225 W Nebraska Ave [1] when 5yo sister found unattended near home by mail carrier [2] who reported to Cyril police [6]; 5yo did not require medical care and is now in protective custody [3@0:45]
  • PM - OSBI posts press release asking for public's help in finding A [1]
  • 5PM - Search including helicopters, 250 searchers [2@1:00]
  • 9PM - residence marked off with crime tape [6], executing search warrant as part of "standard procedure" [3]
W JAN 11
  • FBI confirmed to be assisting on case, though not on location [6]
  • 7:30AM - prayer vigil held at First Baptist Church [3]
  • LE holds press conference [3]
    • "collecting items that could be relevant" [3@0:35]
    • checking land, waterways/ponds/sonar [3@3:00]
  • 4PM - search (including vacant houses, waterways, search dogs, drones, etc) concludes [4]
  • PM - Estranged paternal grandmother speaks to media [5]
Th JAN 12
  • AM - trash pickup halted until cleared by OSBI [7]

[1] OSBI FB post - Jan 10
[2] Authorities, Community Search for Missing 4-Year-Old w VIDEO - NewsOn6 - Jan 11
[3] Search continues for missing 4-Year-Old w PRESSER VIDEO & TRANSCRIPT - KOCO - Jan 11
[4] OSBI completes grid search - ABC7 - Jan 11
[5] Grandmother of missing 4-year-old - ABC7 - Jan 11
[6] Latest on search for Athena - ABC7 - Jan 11
[7] Cyril halts all trash pick-up - ABC7 - Jan 12
bbm
Thanks for this !

I find the bolded to be ominous.
M00.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online