Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #161

Status
Not open for further replies.
[…]
The clothing Allen admitted wearing to police matches the outfit worn by a man - known as "Bridge Guy" - who was captured on video by Libby walking towards the two girls, instructing them to go "down the hill" moments before their deaths.

Police have long believed that individual to be the girls' killer.

In a subsequent interview, Allen's wife, Kathy Allen, told investigators that her husband still owns a blue Carhartt jacket, the affidavit states.

Keenan says the existence of the jacket is a potentially vital discovery and may still yield crucial DNA evidence.

[…]
"So I would assume that they took a bunch of clothing from his house as a result, and they're probably testing the jacket for DNA right now because someone saw a man matching his description covered in mud and blood [at the scene]," he added.

"I absolutely think there will still be DNA of value on that coat.

"You see all these old cases being solved by DNA 40 years later. This was only five years ago.

"If they find Libby or Abby's DNA on that jacket - he's done."

Sequestered, I would think. Interesting decision by the judge.
Yeah. I was surprised to hear it, given she (the judge) is coming from another county her own self. I guess she finds it’s important to keep the trial in Carroll County for the convenience of the victims’ family? That’s just my guess, but I am interested to hear potential reasons from others.
*I don’t mean to insinuate that I have followed MANY cases, when I say that I thought the decision was surprising/ interesting.

He seems to have lost some weight and managed to somehow ;) gotten a purple-ish eye (black?).

mOO ymmv
maybe someone "accidentally" had to pop him in the eye..I know he's presumed innocent etc..but let's face it he's in jail right now and I doubt he has many friends. and the ones he has are probably there for a reason like snitching. mOO

Last edited:
Former Secret Service Agent Jim Rathmann is our guest tonight. We will discuss the latest in the Delphi case.
We go live at 10:30 PM Eastern

I don’t mean to demean the important work of the Secret Service but a retired SS agent is the last person I’d talk to. They don’t generally deal with the public, don’t ever see dead bodies or investigate murders, or come to your house when you call 911.

Yeah. I was surprised to hear it, given she (the judge) is coming from another county her own self. I guess she finds it’s important to keep the trial in Carroll County for the convenience of the victims’ family? That’s just my guess, but I am interested to hear potential reasons from others.
*I don’t mean to insinuate that I have followed MANY cases, when I say that I thought the decision was surprising/ interesting.
This could have been done one of two ways. They could import the jury from another county. They will be put up in hotels (Lafyette, IN ,most likely) and fed for the duration. The second option is to hold the trial in another county. That would require supplying all the court personnel, moving all the evidence, and setting up offices. Importing 12 poeple for a jury is the cheaper way to go. Both sides get to agree on a county to import from and then the judge will see if that county is willing to help.

Judge says that Richard Allen #DelphiMurders trial should stay in Carroll County with a jury from another county. Prosecution & defense will agree on what county in the next week. Gag order stays in place. Judge asks lawyers to keep cooperating on discovery.
@WTHRcom

I'm really surprised the Judge kept the trial in Carroll County. Even with a jury selected from another county and brought in I think it's going to be a circus in Delphi. I would expect these jurors to be sequestered for sure.

Not surprising the date got pushed out, I believe this is going to be a long, complex trial.

MOO

I do wonder how far jurors will have to drive to get there. I don’t suppose they’ll be provided with accommodations, right?

If it's like a few of the more prominent trials, they WILL have accommodations and likely be "contained" to a hotel?

Sequestered, I would think. Interesting decision by the judge.

This was a few years back, and in another state. I missed an 'imported jury' by a hair's breadth, but my next door neighbor was sequestered.

My child was 19 months old, hers were in elementary school.

Jury selection was from our county's juror pool, happened in our county courthouse. I was still in the room when the pool was dropped from about 300 to 46 potential jurors. 12 jurors & 4 alternates were seated.

I was relieved when she was picked instead of me!!! Another neighbor's son-in-law was also on this jury.

She was told to be dropped off at the courthouse in our county. A tour bus took them to the county of the trial. (I suppose neither county had room to park 16 cars for 3 weeks?) She was sequestered in a motel in the county of the trial, meals brought in or entire jury taken to a restaurant with a separate room for groups. At least once they had a church lady lunch near the courthouse!

The neighbor's son-in-law said it felt like Kindergarten -- they were asked to walk on the sidewalk, in pairs, with a bailiff in front of them and another behind.

She was allowed to talk to me on the phone with a deputy on the line because I was taking care of her children during the day outside of school. She told the school exactly what was happening, the kids did OK considering the situation. Dad got them dressed, I made lunches, they came to our house after school as we were all 2 blocks from the building. Homework, board games, play outside. Their Dad worked full time but did not have to travel during the three weeks she was gone. He did dinner -- sometimes we included the family in our dinner.

She was allowed to talk to the children & her husband on the phone, but not much & with the deputy on the line.

The defendant was convicted & is still in prison afaik.

[snips]
McLeland readily agreed to or provided clarification to 18 requests (out of 29) for information regarding the identity of witnesses, statements, case reports, the search warrant, evidence favorable to the defendant and other items that are typically covered by Indiana trial rules.

McLeland represented that there was no grand jury called to hear this case.

McLeland said he would not provide a statement attesting to exculpatory evidence favorable to Allen, nor a summary of the state’s opinions on statements made by Allen or witnesses,... and information about ongoing litigation by a retired Carroll County sheriff’s deputy,...

McLeland did respond affirmatively that the state would comply with a defense motion requesting, “A statement as to whether the Defendant, or any other person who participated in the alleged crime, was acting directly or indirectly at the investigation, or on behalf of the State of Indiana…”

Attorney John Tompkins, who is not involved in this case, was interviewed in the above Fox 59 article I linked to above. He lists these things as important for the defense atty to have access to: the entire investigative file, every interview that was ever done, every lead, every other suspect, what their sources of information were to see if they were trustworthy and reliable, the applications for search warrants to see if they were based on hearsay.

I'm really glad that RA's attys are on top of this. I'm bothered by the things that McL is not willing to hand over. He indicated that he thought it seemed like the defense was asking him to do their work for them; but if he did find evidence that was favorable to RA, is he justified in keeping it from RA's atty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann