Date of Birth:
November 17, 1949
Age: 47 years old (at time of disappearance); would now be 70
Race: White
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 230 lbs.
Hair Color: Blond (balding)
Eye Color: Blue
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Wore top denture plate; left behind.

Dentals
: N/A
Fingerprints: N/A
DNA: N/A

Clothing: He was wearing a green "Resorts" jacket and tan pants. It is unknown if he had been wearing jewelry or had any additional personal items besides those described when he was last seen.

Circumstances of Disappearance: Thomas "Tommy" Demyon, a resident of Baltimore County, MD, was last seen driving away from his townhouse on the evening of January 13, 1997 at around 6:15 p.m. Demyon's house was in the unit-block of Gurteen Court in Cockeysville, MD. He was on his way to a nearby Days Inn motel to use a pay phone because he'd gotten a page from his lawyer, and his own phone had been disconnected. Demyon managed to leave a message at his lawyer's office that evening, but he never returned home and has never been heard from again.

He was reported missing by his wife the day after, on January 14, 1997. His vehicle - an '89 Pontiac Bonneville, dark blue in color - wouldn't be located until over a month later, without him in it. The car was found on February 20, 1997 in the 1800 block of North Calvert Street in Baltimore, MD. Investigators found no evidence of foul play, and no clues to his whereabouts at the scene.

Despite this, authorities believe it's possible that Demyon was murdered. He had lost his father two weeks before his disappearance, and was previously employed as the VP of Safety/Sight Incorporated (some sources list the company as "Tomkar Corp.") in Cockeysville, a firm founded by his late father.

However, his father's business partners had gotten a restraining order barring him from access to the company after they accused him of embezzlement. Coincidentally, that restraining order expired just hours prior to Demyon's disappearance. He was set to inherit the company and those who knew him believed he was looking forward to taking it over.

Tommy Demyon was an avid gambler, and frequented Las Vegas, NV, Atlantic City, NJ, and the horse tracks. He'd apparently gone into debt to several gambling associates - but his wife stated that none of his debts were big enough for anyone to want to kill him. Since his disappearance, Demyon hasn't used his credit cards or Social Security number. He was declared legally dead in 1999, and his case remains unsolved.

At the time of his disappearance, Demyon was described as a white male, 5'10" tall, 230 pounds, with a large build, blue eyes, and fair complexion. He had blonde hair and was balding. He wears a denture plate in place of his front teeth, but left it behind when he vanished.

Investigating Agency(s):
Baltimore County Police Department
410-887-3943

Agency Case Number: 970140830
NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 2289

Source(s): Doe Network, Balt. Co. Police Dept., Charley Project

Last edited:
Article from The Baltimore Sun:

Certainty vanishes with man; Disappearance leaves wife, son in turmoil

By Joan Jacobson
January 10, 1999

The night Thomas G. Demyon vanished two years ago, he had just cremated his father and hoped to inherit the old man's estate. Within hours, he planned to take control of the company his father once ran. But that night, Demyon was a poor man without even a phone - a gambler whose only income came from a small business in financial shambles, whose disappearance would leave Baltimore County police baffled.

Demyon's pager beeped as he and his wife, Cynthia, watched news of the JonBenet Ramsey murder investigation at his father's Timonium condo that evening, Jan. 13, 1997. In a bedroom, their son, Gregory, then 7, played a computer game. The pager - Demyon's tether to the world from the condo, where the phone had been disconnected during his father's illness - showed the number of his lawyer, followed by "911," a code alerting him to call immediately.

Wearing only a coat over his bare chest and leaving without his partial denture, the 47-year-old man drove quickly in the bitter January night to a pay phone he regularly used at the nearby Days Inn. He took no money or identification.

He did not come back.

The last trace of him was the voice-mail message left on the machine of his Towson lawyer, John Austin, who says he did not page his client. In nearly two years, police have found neither a body nor physical evidence of a crime, although Demyon's blue Pontiac was recovered in a scruffy city neighborhood weeks after the disappearance.

Six months after Demyon vanished police, acting on a tip, pulled up the floorboards of a Fells Point bar looking for his body. They used dogs trained to sniff for corpses. They found nothing. No credit card charges have been made, no faraway visits to old friends, no sightings at favorite gambling spots such as Trump's Castle or Bally's in Atlantic City, N.J., where Demyon had been treated to free rooms and meals in the months before he disappeared.

Though they initially suspected a connection between Demyon's gambling debts and his disappearance, detectives now dismiss that possibility, but they refuse to discuss possible suspects or motives. "We're looking at all aspects of his life, including his business activities," said county police spokesman Bill Toohey.

Business in shambles

The business activities of Thomas G. Demyon and his father, Thomas R. Demyon, were unorthodox, to say the least. They supported themselves and fed their gambling habits with cash that flowed from an invention that's smaller than a doorknob. Called a "Safety Sight," it was created to monitor fluids in truck engines and was invented by the elder Demyon, a man with an eighth-grade education.

The unimpressive-looking device, made of glass and brass, was cheap to make and easy to assemble in Tomkar Corp.'s Timonium office. It brought in more than $400,000 a year. But Tomkar was in financial disarray. Its accounting system and tax returns were indecipherable, and the balance sheets didn't balance, according to Orphans' Court testimony after the elder Demyon died and the son disappeared.

When the elder Demyon was incapacitated by a stroke in April 1996, his business partners discovered that the son had siphoned $58,000 from the business, routing incoming checks to a post office box and depositing the money in an account unknown to the partners. But Austin, the younger Demyon's lawyer, said his client took the money because he was worried someone in the company may have been routing checks to at least one other secret address.

Court order bans son

Nonetheless, the business associates got a court order Dec. 11, 1996, temporarily banning the son from the company. The order was to expire Jan. 13, 1997 - just hours before the son disappeared.

The battle over the company was compounded after that New Year's Eve, when the elder Demyon died of heart failure at age 81. His will left most of his estate in a trust for Gregory, his only grandchild, and named two business associates to administer it. Only 20 percent was left to the older man's only child. The son immediately contested the will in Orphans' Court, hoping to gain control of the estate.

On the night of Jan. 13, things were looking up for the younger Demyon. He was confident he would win his battle over the will. And he was poised to take control of Tomkar. "We were ready to go into work the next day," said his wife.

That changed when her husband left hastily to answer the page.

Accumulating debts

While police continued to search for the younger Demyon, his father's debts piled up. Lawyer James Klair was appointed by the Orphans' Court to liquidate property and pay the estate's bills.

Klair concluded that the company should be sold at a "fire sale" price of $218,000. It was, he testified, "the worst example of a business I have ever seen. A lot of money that should have gone into his corporation went for traveling to Las Vegas."

Allegations anger wife

That testimony angered Cynthia Demyon, who wept in the courtroom and said the reputations of the two men were being smeared when they could no longer defend themselves. "I'm so sick of hearing about the gambling. If they went to Atlantic City, they'd gamble maybe $500. That's nothing," she said in an interview.

She criticized the decision to sell the company to the partners who had sparred with her husband over control of the business during her father-in-law's illness. In court, she accused her father-in-law's business associates of being involved in her husband's disappearance - a charge that has not been proved.

"There's people working in there who I believe have something to do with the missing of my husband," a distraught Cynthia Demyon told Grace G. Connolly, then chief judge of the Orphans' Court. In a letter to The Sun, David Sellman, a lawyer for the older man's former business associates, said, "Any suggestion that they were somehow involved in the disappearance of Mr. Demyon is preposterous."

The Orphans' Court approved the sale of the business to the elder Demyon's former business associates in October 1997. Meanwhile, Cynthia Demyon has lost her Pennsylvania home, which was owned by the elder Demyon and was sold to pay debts. As her husband had hoped, the will was invalidated, leaving the entire estate to him and, in his absence, to his only child, Gregory.

After all debts were paid, the boy, now 9, was left with about $125,000. His mother can draw from that account only with the Circuit Court's approval. Gregory's father has yet to be declared legally dead. Cynthia Demyon and her son have moved in with relatives in West Virginia.

She worries most about her son, who lost his grandfather, his father and his home within a matter of months. "His daddy walked out the door, and he never saw him again. Tommy never came back that night," she said. "It's very devastating. It's hard since there's no closure."

The address at which he'd resided and was last seen is said to have been a Cockeysville address, but the Sun article calls it Timonium. I did a quick search on Google Maps of the approximate location of the residence, since all I knew was the name of the street. It looks like it is considered to be within the zip code of Lutherville-Timonium, just a little bit to the south of Cockeysville, but the zip code boundaries could've been slightly changed or something. It's just a stone's throw away from the Maryland State Fairgrounds and Magooby's Joke House. I don't see any Days Inn nearby where he would have gone to call his lawyer before disappearing - just a Hampton Inn and Extended Stay America. One of these could've been the Days Inn back in the '90s.

Either way, the home he was last seen at had been in his father's name. The Sun calls it a condo, the missing person websites refer to it as a townhouse. Doesn't particularly matter, but it was a home his wife and son needed to move out of after the debts were paid off... in addition to another home that Demyon's father owned in Pennsylvania. Mother and son were essentially made homeless after dad disappeared. Article says they had to move in with some family members in West Virginia.

Demyon was a poor businessman, a likely embezzler, and in all probability gambled away thousands that his wife never knew about. Seems his father had the same vices, and had a lot of debts himself... I'd say putting one's own child in a VP role in your company smacks of nepotism. I'm sure many people there had reason to dislike Demyon, and especially became concerned after his father had his stroke, since they knew he was set to inherit the company. After his father died, the clock was ticking on that court order.

I think someone got frantic. I've never owned a pager, as I was too young for one back in the day, but I would hope that police could trace that urgent message from the "lawyer" - who never actually paged him, so he claims - that compelled him to go make that final call. Demyon appears to have been set up; I don't believe for a minute that this guy up and left his family, forfeiting his chance to inherit an estate and get control of his father's company. Someone definitely had it out for him. He was kind of a one-trick pony, completely relying on his dad's company as his sole income source without any other job or business ventures of his own that I've stumbled across, anyway.

Manta.com says that Safety Sight Inc. (listed as "inactive") was located on 2197 Greenspring Dr., Timonium, MD 21093. I'm noticing that another company bearing the same name was incorporated a year after Thomas Demyon's disappearance, in February 1998 - that company had an address of 1205 York Rd., Lutherville, MD 21093, which is a mere couple miles down the road from the old address. In 2006, the business was forfeited and not in good standing. Someone named Linda Licata was listed as an officer.

The company was, it says in the article, sold to the unnamed business partners... so perhaps they simply moved the corporate address and re-registered it in Demyon's absence. The words of the wife haunt me: "There's people working in there who I believe have something to do with the missing of my husband." OK, and here's another thing that's genuinely stumping: if he needed to run out and use the payphone, why did he supposedly leave with no money - did his wife mean just no bills? Also, no ID? If he was indeed driving, wouldn't he have grabbed his wallet with his license in it, or was he accustomed to driving without a license? Ugh. So many questions.

He was surely murdered due to some gambling debt... but he knew what he was risking... I'm sorry for his wife and son who had to leave relatives...
anyway rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back