OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I heard that Billy shot Frankie also but would appreciate any clarification on this too.

Im still here but been Mia since early December. My first son December 7 unexpectedly, worse still he had doctor appointment booked for the 8th. He wasnt feeling very good for a few days before. Oh how I wish he had still been living at home, he wouldn't have been alone.
I don't seem able to concentrate very well so won't post very much just now. I need time as do the rest of the family. We are all supporting each other, and I have a lovely friend who is giving me support and such kind words.
I have noticed your absence. Sorry to hear your reason. I pray that you and your family have solace during this difficult time.

Attachments

• 1673974907331.png
    1673974907331.png
    157.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 1673974943939.png
    1673974943939.png
    401.2 KB · Views: 22
I have noticed your absence. Sorry to hear your reason. I pray that you and your family have solace during this difficult time.

Thank you Dudley, your words mean so much. I've been following the thread and felt I aught to explain where I had been but just didn't know how to put into words. Brain fog rules just now. My son had recently had his 50th Birthday, no young lad but the loss hits just as hard.

Thanks again.
Jackie

Thanks Piffcat, nice to see you posting. Billy has a Hearing this Wednesday at 1:00pm. Would be nice if they set a trial date in this Hearing.

Billy is likely giving his attorneys an ear full.

Billy isn't happy with how slow the Court system is moving.
Billy isn't happy he can't have his trial yet.
Billy wants his Speedy Trial Rights reinstated.
Billy files for his Speedy Trial Rights without telling his attorneys.
Billy isn't happy with his trial strategy.
Billy tells his attorneys how he wants his trial strategy to be.
Billy tells his attorneys when he is not happy with them.
Billy demands his attorneys file a Motion for a Bond Hearing even though they know he can't get Bond so the Bond Hearing "fizzles out."
Billy wants to get Bond and be Caretaker at FWF.
Billy wants his sister to visit him.
Doesn't like the Court sound system.
The Court is too outdated.
Not seeing his attorneys in person enough to go over evidence.
Not too thrilled having to say "your honor."
Has to be reminded to stand up in Court.
Is he happy with his attorneys? Only "so far."

Before his arrest he told his first attorney he wasn't happy with LE not returning his calls so he could tell them who did it.

I can imagine the list of demands he has for his family when he calls them.
Cool Cats, Help me out here. Is this an actual list? Or is it a satirical version of "what Billy wants"? Either way--wow.

Well, thanks for sharing.

<modsnip - inappropriate criticism of some true crime followers> That probably does affect which criminal cases they feel are important. I will say that as a college grad myself, I disagree with your premise. Some of us follow cases to ensure those not in the upper reaches of society still receive justice.

JMO, I think the Rhoden/Gilley murders and subsequent trials have garnered a lot of media coverage, in spite of the location being in a fairly small town that’s a couple hours distant from 2 major metro areas. There was national coverage on most of the major tv networks, Law and Crime, Washington Post, etc. Billy’s trial will probably get similar coverage. If it doesn’t get a lot of TikTock or whatever fad social media coverage, it won’t really matter.

All of the highly educated professionals who worked for years to solve the murders and bring justice to the survivors obviously thought it was a worthwhile effort. The governor himself was in tears after Jakes confession and GW4s conviction, so he obviously cared a great deal about the victims and their families. IIRC, the governor has a law degree and spent many years serving as a prosecutor, attorney general and a US Senator.

True, some Americans who follow true crime stories prefer to follow the ones involving wealthy or upper middle class people. <modsnip - unnecessary commentary>
It nice that we live in a country where we celebrate our differences.
<modsnip - comparing attention/coverage of different case(s) is not allowed>

At first, in the national media (I live outside of Ohio) the speculation in the media was about a drug killing (with cockfighting on the side). The Rhodens were portrayed in a way that made their murders seem like it was somehow predictable that bad things would happen to them. Drugs! Cockfighting! Teenage pregnancy! Working class folks! Trailer homes!

Now, from the beginning I didn't buy into the drug thing because I've read actual books about drug cartels and in general, in the U.S., they don't do home invasions in rural areas and gain attention by committing bloody massacres. And then it took two years to arrest people and 4 more to get to trial. So national media's attention span had come and gone. <modsnip - comparing attention/coverage of different case(s) is not allowed>

The regional Ohio media and the true crime media did commendable work in the Wagner4 trial but remember also by that time, Angie and Jake had confessed and so the "suspense" was over for the media. His mom and bro going to testify against him? George4 is toast, they likely thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Dudley, your words mean so much. I've been following the thread and felt I aught to explain where I had been but just didn't know how to put into words. Brain fog rules just now. My son had recently had his 50th Birthday, no young lad but the loss hits just as hard.

Thanks again.
Jackie
So very sorry for your loss. What a terrible, sudden loss. 50 is really still young, in my view, and thus all the more tragic. And very normal for you to have brain fog.

Cool Cats, Help me out here. Is this an actual list? Or is it a satirical version of "what Billy wants"? Either way--wow.

List of things that have come out over the years in MSM, his Hearings and his Bond Motion.

Will get links if you want them. Not a problem, I probably should have posted some of the links with the list.

At first, in the national media (I live outside of Ohio) the speculation in the media was about a drug killing (with cockfighting on the side). The Rhodens were portrayed in a way that made their murders seem like it was somehow predictable that bad things would happen to them. Drugs! Cockfighting! Teenage pregnancy! Working class folks! Trailer homes!

Now, from the beginning I didn't buy into the drug thing because I've read actual books about drug cartels and in general, in the U.S., they don't do home invasions in rural areas and gain attention by committing bloody massacres. And then it took two years to arrest people and 4 more to get to trial. So national media's attention span had come and gone. <modsnip - comparing attention/coverage of different case(s) is not allowed>

The regional Ohio media and the true crime media did commendable work in the Wagner4 trial but remember also by that time, Angie and Jake had confessed and so the "suspense" was over for the media. His mom and bro going to testify against him? George4 is toast, they likely thought.

Yes, thanks. We know and agree. Realized it from the first day of news coverage. Seeking justice for victims of horrible crimes should never be a popularity contest.

Among the loyal members here, we were shocked at the misinformation and rank prejudice that blew up some public opinion. The prejudice and bigotry towards the victims by some was disappointing, but not surprising.

That's why we followed the case from the day it made the news - out of concern that these murders would go unpunished. The victims and family members are finally getting justice. I'll admit it was great when long hidden facts of the case revealed the victims (with exception of Gary, who had a publicly acknowledged struggle) had no drugs or alcohol in their systems. Just caffeine. In addition, the family who murdered them were the ones involved in dealing hard drugs, not the Rhodens. Many nasty rumors were exposed as originating with their killers. The grow ops of Chris and Kenny were legalized less than a year after their brutal, untimely deaths.

It's sad that some bitter people are still angry at the Rhodens and insist on promoting some bizarre messaging about how or why the murder and trial are losing the true crime social media popularity contest. Not surprising, though. Popularity in social media and news media is meaningless. The true story of the abuse of these innocent victims is being told and their killers will spend the rest of their natural lives in prison. One may even face the DP. That's all that matters. News and social media popularity doesn't matter at all, for this or any other crime. It's just bread and circuses, JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
That, and when asked by the Daily Mail why he thought the murders occurred, he said road rage or custody.

BCI should have listened to him. It wasn't until later that, according to Scheiderer, they started getting suspicious of the Wagners over custody. Discrepancies in what the Wagner's said about custody vs what everyone else said.

Another thing Scheiderer noticed about the careless Wagners was dozens of spent shell casings all over the ground at Peterson Rd when he just went to talk to them, he wasn't doing a search.
Where was it noted that Scheiderer saw the shell casings at Peterson and matched them to the casings from the murder?

Where was it noted that Scheiderer saw the shell casings at Peterson and matched them to the casings from the murder?
During one of the times Agent Scheiderer was called to the stand during George's trial. He seemed to be called a few times to the stand as the prosecution was trying to show how the investigation unfolded. His testimony regarding finding the shell casings at the peterson road address seemed to be about a year after the murders and seemed to be the justification for a further search warrant of the Peterson road address. Then somehow that is when they found out the wagners had belongings stored in trailers at a different location and I believe needed another search warrant for that location.

During his testimony at trial. He was at Peterson Rd talking to them and saw the casings lying in the driveway. He recognized them from reviewing ballistics evidence from the crime scenes.

IIRC they went there to talk to Billy.

I caught the custody part but had the wrong person. I thought he meant the road rage lady might lose custody of her kids because the Rs pushed to get her in court over it. I thought he was accusing her or someone she knew. Nothing had been said about JW and HR custody dispute…

IMO, LM was referring to who you thought originally. There was more to it than just road rage though. MOO

I thought I heard that Billy shot Frankie also but would appreciate any clarification on this too.

Im still here but been Mia since early December. My first son December 7 unexpectedly, worse still he had doctor appointment booked for the 8th. He wasnt feeling very good for a few days before. Oh how I wish he had still been living at home, he wouldn't have been alone.
I don't seem able to concentrate very well so won't post very much just now. I need time as do the rest of the family. We are all supporting each other, and I have a lovely friend who is giving me support and such kind words.
I am so sorry you are going through this. HUGS!!

From Betty's post above:

During his testimony at trial. He (Scheiderer) was at Peterson Rd talking to them and saw the casings lying in the driveway. He recognized them from reviewing ballistics evidence from the crime scenes.

This explains it further:

Agents with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation testified the day before that Facebook records from the victims and a rambling interview with George's father, Billy Wagner, raised their suspicions.

That led to a preliminary search warrant of the Wagner home in early May 2017. Agents wanted to keep it quiet, without the family knowing.

But the shell casings they found that day led them to get another search warrant just two days later. Those .22 long rifle shell casings matched those found at two of the crime scenes -- and state experts said they were fired by the same gun, a .22-caliber Walther Colt 1911 semiautomatic handgun.

"Based on my microscopic comparisons, of the two fired .22 long rifle cartridge cases compared to the other fired .22 ling rifle cartridge cases, I was able to conclude that all of the fired .22 long-rifle cartridge cases had been fired in the same firearm," said former BCI special agent Bryan White, who worked as a crime scene expert for the agency at the time. “Unlike the first one, this search was an exhaustive search, which means we were going to do everything we possibly could. We had rakes, shovels, we had sifters we had all kinds of different things -- tools to use to really go through and search the outside of the property."

That second search also turned up more .22-caliber casings which matched ones found at the crime scene, White testified.

It has been awhile since he was in court - so I will definitely shorten this up a bit.

Wednesday, January 18th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 1pm ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) - *George Washington "Billy" Wagner III (47/now 51) (name changed (11/5/86) from William Emmanuel) (Jake’s father) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (12/4/18) with 8 counts of aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 4th degree obstructing justice, 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP.
Trial was tentatively scheduled on 10/3/22 has been continued, no further dates available yet, but authorities believe it will not start until 2023.
Number of shots fired at each victim (Det. Scheiderer: We know the three calibers of firearms that were used to commit these murders. a 22 caliber long rifle, a 40 caliber, and a 30 caliber) & court hearings from 12/4/18 thru 11/17/21 reference post #797 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-65.585973/page-40

2/1/22 Update: The cause was scheduled for a pretrial hearing & a hearing on motions. The Defendant was present in Court for the hearing & was represented by his attorneys, Thomas F. Hayes & Mark C. Collins. Also, present was Attorney Emily Enstett & Attorney Kaitlyn Stephens, who are part of the defense team, but are not appointed by the Court to represent the Defendant in the present action. The Court finds that the Defendant appeared for the hearing in civilian clothing & without restraints visible outside of his clothing. The State of Ohio was represented at the hearing by the Prosecuting Attorney, Rob Junk & by Special Prosecuting Attorneys Angela R. Canepa & David A. Wilson. Also present for the hearing was Special Agent Jenkins, of the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification & Investigation ("Ohio BCI&I"). The Court finds that at the last hearing held in this action on 11/17/21, Defendant's Motions #s 44, 46, 47 & 48 were withdrawn & Defendant's attorneys indicated to the Court that hearing upon Defendant's Motions #s 42, 43, 45 & 49 would be held at a later date. It was further indicated to the Court at the hearing on 11/17/21, that counsel for the State of Ohio & counsel for the Defendant were planning to meet in mid-December, 2021 away from the Court in order to discuss scheduling of the Defendant's motions & possibly to narrow the issues to be argued at a motion hearing; however, it is the Court's understanding that such meeting did not take place. Counsel for the Defendant suggested that Daubert hearings on Defendant's Motions #s 42 & 43 could be scheduled in coordination with similar hearings that may be scheduled in the case of co-defendant, GW4 & further suggested a separate motion hearing on other Defendant's motions, be scheduled no later than 8/31/22 & that a jury trial be scheduled to commence no later than 10/31/22. Defendant's counsel further indicated that there was work to be done by the defense concerning mitigation & that the defense would need until approximately 8/31/22, in order to prepare for hearing on some of the Defendant's motions & until approximately 10/31/22, in order to prepare for trial. Counsel for the State of Ohio agreed with scheduling Daubert hearings in coordination with any other similar hearings that may be held in the case of co-defendant GW4 & with the scheduling of a hearing on other defense motions & with scheduling the commencement of trial within the approximate times suggested by the Defendant's counsel. The Court noted for the record that stenographer engaged by the Court to record the proceedings in this action was not present for the hearing on 2/1/22 & that it has indicated to the Court that the stenographer did not have the hearing this day on her schedule & had been scheduled for another matter on this day. Counsel for each party agreed that the hearing could proceed this day without the stenographer, with a record being made on the Court's digital recording system, in view of the fact that nothing of a substantive nature was being heard & decided this day. The Defendant indicated that he is satisfied with the access he is having to his attorneys in this action & is satisfied with the services & representation that defense counsel is providing him. The Defendant further indicated that he has no complaints. Counsel for the Defendant indicated that they are satisfied with the access they are being provided to the Defendant. There being no further matters before the Court, said Court was adjourned.
4/5/22: Appointment of Susanna L. Jackson as assistant court reporter filed. 4/6/22: Motion, entry & certification of appointed counsel fees filed. 4/26/22; Motion to change compensation rate for special prosecutor filed by Robert Junk. 6/27/22: Motion entry & certification for appointed special prosecutor fees filed. 7/29/22: Although Billy’s trial is tentatively set for October, authorities have said they do not expect it to begin until 2023.
8/8/22: Agree motion to continue hearing on pending motions & jury trial date. Filed by attorneys Mark Collins & Thomas Hayes. 8/15/22: Agreed entry granting motion to continue hearing on motions & jury trial. The hearing on Motions previously scheduled on 8/9/22 & jury trial previously scheduled on 10/3/22 each shall be rescheduled to a new date & time to be determined by the court.
12/2/22: Billy remains locked up without bond at the Butler County Jail in the city of Hamilton, some two hours west of Pike County. When Billy does go on trial, it’s expected he will be moved to the Scioto County Jail due to its closer proximity to the Pike County Courthouse in Waverly.
12/29/22 Update: Next pretrial hearing on 1/18/23 @ 1pm.
*George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 31) – Guilty of all charges on 11/30/22 & sentenced on 12/19/22 to LWOP plus.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 52) – 9/10/21: Plead guilty to a plea deal to Counts 9 thru 22; Counts 1-8 were dismissed. Will be sentenced to 30 years in prison with no early release & has to testify against others at trial.
*Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner (26/now 29) – Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges & will testify at the trials.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 69) – Motion hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty to all charges. Will testify at the trials.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76/now 80) – 6/26/19: Charges were dismissed without prejudice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member