UT - Family of 8 found dead in home by gunshot in Enoch, Jan 2023

Let me chime in here. I am a female attorney who is also LDS. I adopted a child who had been severely abused. After realizing what kids go through that have had so much trauma, I gave up my legal career to fight for foster children and children with special needs. I have spoken at numerous conferences to educate on trauma and abuse and healing. My heart is 100% with abuse victims. Having said that, let me clarify a few things.

1. The appropriate term is LDS or the full name of the church. "Mormon" is not used any more. (I do realize the irony of my name here. It was created years ago and I can't change it.)

2. Abuse happens anywhere an abuser can gain control or access to potential victims. It happens among rich and poor, all nationalities, all religions, all education levels, all genders and on and on. The common denominator is an immature individual who seeks control over the vulnerable. This exists everywhere, including, but, not limited to, the LDS church and every other entity or culture or situation where an abuser can control and dominate.

3. Like many faiths, the LDS church accepts all types of people. Abuse is often very covert and difficult to detect. Victims often protect the abuser because of a trauma bond or other dynamic. I can't tell you how many families I have worked with of all types where the victims are extremely loyal to the abuser. This makes gathering information and reporting very difficult.

4. In the LDS church, abuse is reason for excommunication. However, refer to the above regarding the huge reluctance of victims to turn on the perpetrator, both for safety reasons and loyalty.

5. I would hope this story, rather than condemning an entire faith, would raise awareness of abuse. Like I said, I cannot tell you all the different variations of abuse I have seen. Abuse is everywhere. It is very hard to detect because families often put on a front to protect the family dynamic. In addition, the victims know the power of the abuser. To leave is to risk death. This case illustrates that.

6. Nothing I am saying here is met to condemn victims.I love every family I have worked with. I share this just to share that abuse dynamics are very complicated in that the victims learn not to turn on the perpetrator and hide what is happening. This is so understandable because they know what can happen if they turn on the abuser. They are forced to walk on eggshells to stay safe and alive.

I hope this helps clarify some things. I am open to any questions. My heart breaks for this family and their community. There is no justification for abuse - ever. But it is often very difficult for victims to get help or to leave. This case should awake everyone to the fact that abuse can happen anywhere regardless of culture, religion, career, gender, sexual orientation. And it is everywhere.
Late to the party, but I wanted to thumbs up this post. I am not religious, but as a child, I attended an LDS church for many years with my scheming mom, who was going there to sap their resources. These kind people knew what my mom was doing, knew she did not believe or attempt to live right, but they also saw that she had three children in need.

They brought us food, included us in their social gatherings, mowed our lawn, fixed our well and plumbing, gave us scriptures specially highlighted to the "good parts," and performed all other manners of good deeds big and small. I am sure they called social services in attempts to help us many times. As an adult, one of the wealthy ones even came to see me at work and said she was proud I "made it." I was astonished. I know not everyone is the same, but I personally have never met an unkind LDS member.

Late to the party, but I wanted to thumbs up this post. I am not religious, but as a child, I attended an LDS church for many years with my scheming mom, who was going there to sap their resources. These kind people knew what my mom was doing, knew she did not believe or attempt to live right, but they also saw that she had three children in need.

They brought us food, included us in their social gatherings, mowed our lawn, fixed our well and plumbing, gave us scriptures specially highlighted to the "good parts," and performed all other manners of good deeds big and small. I am sure they called social services in attempts to help us many times. As an adult, one of the wealthy ones even came to see me at work and said she was proud I "made it." I was astonished. I know not everyone is the same, but I personally have never met an unkind LDS member.

Also late to the party, and also not religious, but the LDS neighbors across the street from my elderly mom and stepdad are the nicest, most giving people I have ever met! My parents are religious but Baptist and Methodist. But they also help with chores around the house that are hard for my parents to do with their age, and bring them food, and check on them regularly, and just are the sweetest, kindest people ever.

When my parents first moved in they arrived at night after a long day's drive with a U-Haul trailer holding some essential furniture and belongings to use before the larger moving truck arriving a couple of weeks later. The neighbors greeted them and unloaded everything for them, insisting they rest at their house while offering food. They set up the bed and put on linens and everything! And sent them home with some food for the next day so they didn't have to rush to the grocery store before eating.

Then there was the time during a bad storm when a tree fell through my parents' house, crashing through the roof in the middle of the night. The neighbors heard and came over immediately, climbing up on the roof during the storm and putting up tarps to help protect things inside the house from the rain. This was in the middle of the night! All sorts of their family members helping.

As someone who lives a few hours away from my parents I am super grateful that they have such kind neighbors!

The allegations

Officials conducted forensic interviews with Michael Haight, his wife Tausha Haight, and the teenage daughter in question after a complaint was filed by a DCFS employee. The incident report did not note the reason DCFS initiated the investigation.
Emphasis mine.
Hmm... wonder who called DCFS ?

Also from this link :

The daughter also told investigators that her father had yelled at her many times and often put down her mother in front of her, calling Tausha Haight “stupid” and “lazy.” Defending Tausha would make Michael angrier, according to the report. The daughter also reported her father taking away her mother’s cellphone to keep her from leaving the house.

Police interviewed Michael Haight directly. In multiple cases, he denied the daughter’s accusations of violence. He called his daughter “mouthy,” and did admit to sometimes losing his temper and yelling at his children. He also cited family difficulties at the time, including the recent passing of his father and his brother’s divorce.
Michael Haight said he believed his wife, Tausha, was talking with his soon-to-be ex-sister-in-law about his mother and his sister, and he said he did take Tausha’s cellphone and tablet to look at text messages.

emphasis mine

So this possible upcoming divorce initiated by a frightened and abused Tausha, was not the first in their family tree ?

Even IF the murderer accomplished much, was respected in his church, and provided well for his family, etc., one final act wiped all of this out !

He had to have gone from ending one child's life, to another child, to another child, and so on.
My guess is that he killed his wife and mother in law first, as I believe they would have fought to the death to protect the children ?
Otoh ; I'd like to think that it happened at night when they were all asleep ?
Imo.

Also late to the party, and also not religious, but the LDS neighbors across the street from my elderly mom and stepdad are the nicest, most giving people I have ever met! My parents are religious but Baptist and Methodist. But they also help with chores around the house that are hard for my parents to do with their age, and bring them food, and check on them regularly, and just are the sweetest, kindest people ever.

When my parents first moved in they arrived at night after a long day's drive with a U-Haul trailer holding some essential furniture and belongings to use before the larger moving truck arriving a couple of weeks later. The neighbors greeted them and unloaded everything for them, insisting they rest at their house while offering food. They set up the bed and put on linens and everything! And sent them home with some food for the next day so they didn't have to rush to the grocery store before eating.

Then there was the time during a bad storm when a tree fell through my parents' house, crashing through the roof in the middle of the night. The neighbors heard and came over immediately, climbing up on the roof during the storm and putting up tarps to help protect things inside the house from the rain. This was in the middle of the night! All sorts of their family members helping.

As someone who lives a few hours away from my parents I am super grateful that they have such kind neighbors!

I'm thankful that you all had good experiences with the LDS church.

I'm completely unfamiliar with LDS.

Although the killer in this case may have been an anomaly in his church, because it sounds like their faith is built on kindness and reaching out to others --- we often don't know what goes on behind closed doors; iykwim ?

Also wondering if any people in their church, or wider circle of friends and work employees saw glaring red flags, but could do nothing ?
Some are very good at hiding domestic issues, Michael may have been one of them !
M00.

I'm thankful that you all had good experiences with the LDS church.

I'm completely unfamiliar with LDS.

Although the killer in this case may have been an anomaly in his church, because it sounds like their faith is built on kindness and reaching out to others --- we often don't know what goes on behind closed doors; iykwim ?

Also wondering if any people in their church, or wider circle of friends and work employees saw glaring red flags, but could do nothing ?
Some are very good at hiding domestic issues, Michael may have been one of them !
M00

I don't think covering up abuse in unique to LDS. My daughter married into the JW faith. My granddaughter decided to leave because she felt the church leaders covered up sexual abuse for years. They aren't much different than the Catholic Church that I was raised in. I don't go to church anymore; I'm irreligious, I guess. There's nothing like organized coverups to sour your beliefs. For me, it's one of those, it looks good on paper but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. IMO

I don't think covering up abuse in unique to LDS. My daughter married into the JW faith. My granddaughter decided to leave because she felt the church leaders covered up sexual abuse for years. They aren't much different than the Catholic Church that I was raised in. I don't go to church anymore; I'm irreligious, I guess. There's nothing like organized coverups to sour your beliefs. For me, it's one of those, it looks good on paper but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. IMO

Southern Baptists also covered up sexual abuse for years. It's definitely not unique to any religion.

Amish too:

It's sad that Tausha, her mom, and the children couldn't have escaped ?
Maybe she felt trapped ?
Scary to think M. took her tablet and according to the link in my previous post -- it sounds like he took her phone as well ?
Controlling personality.

It's sad that Tausha, her mom, and the children couldn't have escaped ?
Maybe she felt trapped ?
Scary to think M. took her tablet and according to the link in my previous post -- it sounds like he took her phone as well ?
Controlling personality.
And quite likely didn't let her drive, or work outside the home, or kept a very tight rein on things if he did.

M.H was not the only one to describe his child as "mouthy":

"Police interviewed Michael Haight directly. In multiple cases, he denied the daughter’s accusations of violence. He called his daughter “mouthy,” and did admit to sometimes losing his temper and yelling at his children..."

So did Julie Schenecker :

The woman allegedly confessed to the officers there that she had shot her 13-year-old son and then her 16-year-old daughter because they were "mouthy."

In both of these cases, imo, their children did nothing to deserve their fate.

In this Utah case -- Macie may have been the one child who dared to stand up to him.
M00.

Last edited:
The exact same time Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie were in Moab being questioned by police over a DV incident, a married lesbian couple were shot to death in their tent at a campsite near Moab in broad daylight. As the US subsequently turned itself inside out trying to find Gabby, with breathless coverage all over MSM, this case of two murdered women was largely ignored and received only cursory, very local coverage.

It's blond girl syndrome -- if a victim is young, blond, attractive and female, MSM will fall all over themselves with nation wide coverage. The three young women murdered in Moscow, ID certainly fit this description.

Kudos to police who worked incredibly hard to identify the perps in Moab, UT and Moscow, ID.
I think “white girl syndrome” (or “blonde girl syndrome”) is one explanation why certain cases like Gabby’s and the Idaho murders garner so much more attention, but I think it’s more it than that. In each of these cases, the public has access to videos of the victim/s living their normal everyday lives right before they were murdered. There’s something especially jarring about seeing a person doing these normal everyday things while knowing something tragic is about to happen to them. The lives of the victims in both cases are also very accessible to the public. Looking at pictures and videos on social media or a travel blog makes the victim more relatable to us.

A Utah man who police say fatally shot his wife, her mother and their five kids before turning the gun on himself had been investigated two years prior for child abuse, but local police and prosecutors decided not to criminally charge him, new records released Tuesday show.

Police records obtained by The Associated Press shed light on warning signs and a previous police investigation into a violent pattern of behavior Michael Haight exhibited toward his family.

Authorities said they were aware of previous problems in the home but didn’t elaborate during a news conference following the Jan. 4 killings in the small town of Enoch, citing an ongoing investigation.

In a 2020 interview with authorities, Macie Haight, the family’s eldest daughter, detailed multiple assaults, including one where she was choked by her father and “very afraid that he was going to keep her from breathing and kill her.”

In a 2020 interview with authorities, Macie Haight, the family’s eldest daughter, detailed multiple assaults, including one where she was choked by her father and “very afraid that he was going to keep her from breathing and kill her.”

I notice the previous incident was in 2020. With covid lockdowns and the world being in a pandemic and people being more isolated, reports were that domestic violence increased. I wonder if that also was a factor? MOO.

I notice the previous incident was in 2020. With covid lockdowns and the world being in a pandemic and people being more isolated, reports were that domestic violence increased. I wonder if that also was a factor? MOO.

It might have intensified, but if the choking incident of his child was in 2018, it was already bad.

I bet Macie was just hanging in there, hoping her mum would get the courage up to divorce him, but otherwise fixing her sights on college. BYU, probably. I wonder if she hoped to get into BYU Hawaii to put the miles between her and her abuser, or if she wanted to be close so that she could keep an eye on her mum and siblings. Poor kid, she was inches from freedom. They all were.

Factual question: I haven’t seen any MSM mentioning a LDS stake or ward leadership role for MH, this year or at any point in the past, extending back to his mission. Was there one?

I ask because he was early 40s, a lifetime Mormon in a large local family, and working in a community-facing sales job (insurance). Rare for that profile of man to not be in local LDS leadership. Hopeful that, if indeed so, local LE is asking: why not?

Factual question: I haven’t seen any MSM mentioning a LDS stake or ward leadership role for MH, this year or at any point in the past, extending back to his mission. Was there one?

I ask because he was early 40s, a lifetime Mormon in a large local family, and working in a community-facing sales job (insurance). Rare for that profile of man to not be in local LDS leadership. Hopeful that, if indeed so, local LE is asking: why not?
If his abuse of his family was known, which, I can speak from experience, almost NOTHING is secret in an LDS community, it may have been a factor.

Or, he may have had a lower position that wouldn't be anything to write home about. Ward clerk? Smart enough to count money, but not enough rank to make waves. Does anyone actually give physical money any more? I just realised that my memory of waiting around the empty chapel while my biological father counted everyone's tithing was from the early '80s. People probably Paypal or Venmo or something now, or just Tap and Go their credit card.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megs89