ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 66

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recalled when the below article was posted recently for some other reason it had mentioned his apartment had been vacant for a year prior to his move in date. But when re reading, the other tenant seems to remember he moved in in August. So still, doesn’t answer what all he was doing getting a hair cut July 8th. Also, does anyone recall was this a men only salon or unisex?

Angela Alvarez, a WSU senior majoring in psychology, first met Kohberger last August when he moved into Steptoe Village in Pullman, WA. He filled the apartment above her and her husband, which had been vacant since they moved in Jan. 2021.

Sounds like the apartment that BK rented on WSU campus was vacant during the spring 2022 semester.

The neighbor's statement could be read in such a way that she is saying she met BK in August, not necessarily that he moved in to the apartment in August.

Unclear still when he moved in to that particular WSU housing unit. If it was empty during the spring semester (since January 2022 as the neighbor indicated), then I would think BK would have moved in when the normal lease contracts are followed by WSU. WSU's Family and Graduate Housing says that leases normally begin on July 1. So my guess is that BK's lease began on July 1, but if that apartment was vacant since January, then WSU housing office would have been flexible and given BK the key when he and his father arrived from the cross country drive from PA. That kind of flexibility is common in family and graduate student housing on campuses, unlike residence hall move-in for undergraduate students.

I've followed only a handful of cases, closely, and in every one of them, the killer did some form of stalking just prior (as in minutes to hours) to the murders. I always think about the fact that these guys all had an opportunity to back out. They didn't suddenly, impulsively kill out of rage, they followed/watched their victims and carried out the most horrific crimes on them by choice. So disturbing.

Sounds like the apartment that BK rented on WSU campus was vacant during the spring 2022 semester.

The neighbor's statement could be read in such a way that she is saying she met BK in August, not necessarily that he moved in to the apartment in August.

Unclear still when he moved in to that particular WSU housing unit. If it was empty during the spring semester (since January 2022 as the neighbor indicated), then I would think BK would have moved in when the normal lease contracts are followed by WSU. WSU's Family and Graduate Housing says that leases normally begin on July 1. So my guess is that BK's lease began on July 1, but if that apartment was vacant since January, then WSU housing office would have been flexible and given BK the key when he and his father arrived from the cross country drive from PA. That kind of flexibility is common in family and graduate student housing on campuses, unlike residence hall move-in for undergraduate students.
Well that makes a whole lot more sense taken along with the other tid bits we’ve all been putting together. Thanks for that.

Much has been said about BK applying for an internship with the Pullman PD yet I didn't find any reference to an internship program on the Pullman PD website. I did however find that the WSU Police Dept has such a program. IDK if this WSU program is the one he applied to but it is possible.

Intern Program - WSU Police
I also saw that he applied for the internship, but I didn't see any record of the police accepting his offer. Did I miss that?

I wonder if he had a police scanner or a scanner app on his phone to listen in on how the police responded to the house after he murdered them.

I also think he drove by the crime scene that morning just to see the chaos he created. And enjoy the "duping delight" because he thought he was so smart. He wanted to work with the police for the internship, but now watches as those same people scramble to "solve" the "puzzle" he left.

Possibly a dog hair found; no weapon found; red/brown stains found; vacuum canister contents taken. (I subscribe to the NYT so I can only paraphrase and am not confident about paraphrasing without violating WS TOS, as I've done in the past! I hate that I've made extra work for the mods.)
How is this coming out when the search warrant has been sealed?

I agree but I feel that if someone managed to literally rip a sheath off a human wearing it, they would have to tear a belt off long before the leather on the sheath would break.

I have mentioned a few times that I own the knife and sheath. The sheath itself is made of a single piece of stout leather folded, sewn and riveted on the blade end and the knife is just over a foot long. At this point, I would be more inclined to believe carried it into the house in his sleeve but like everyone else, I'm just speculating.
I too am inclined the same.
I'm blocked from reading the article. Can someone help please?

GL, you can see most articles there at NYT if you sign up for a "free account". I did that during the Shanann Watts case and it still works today.

If BK's DNA is on the sheath,. Is that saying no one else's DNA is on it ?

So far, the PCA indicates only one single source of DNA on the sheath snap. We don't know about the rest of the sheath.

LE reported the DNA on the sheath snap in the PCA. IMO, because having his dna on the snap and no other dna on the snap proves that BK has opened or closed that very knife sheath at some point, also due to different materials holding DNA differently.
What LE did not say was if BKs dna was or was not anywhere else on the sheath, anywhere on the victims, anywhere in the rooms, on the doorknobs etc.
MOO: Also I am pretty sure you can distinguish the age of the DNA based on the degradation level and conditions and no, touch DNA should not last 10 years under normal conditions, more like weeks or months.

And he thought the right moment was minutes after door dash departed? I am still so confused by BKs logic.

He failed to study Rational Choice Theory thoroughly enough.

Touch DNA can last varying amounts of time, depending on use of the item and many other variables. I'm not as sure as you are that one can tell how long the DNA has been there.

I would think BK held the knife in a reverse position as he was above the bodies that were probably somewhat flat on the bed. As he went downstairs, he may have changed his grip and didn't have time to adjust it once he came across the next two victims.
I thought maybe the suspect wore cut-resistant tactical gloves but BK has been shown, in my opinion, to not have not thoroughly planned the murders and/or made lots of mistakes. Maybe he wore good gloves but I wouldn't be surprised if he wore inexpensive less protective gloves. OJ wore expensive leather gloves, not specifically made for protection, and he only had a minor cut. moo

I think he pinned the victims down by kneeling on them (legs) and used the knife in its regular manner, for accuracy and to avoid blood spurt/spatter onto himself. He likely still got bloody but would have had way less blood on him with this method.

This is one part I think he thought out and may have practiced. He probably flew across the room as rapidly as possible to surprise Ethan, knowing that if he could put his own weight on Ethan's lower body, Ethan had no chance. I think we'll find that each victim had 3-4 major wounds, not 10 or 20 or more.

I think BK had been role playing inside games with similar weapons for a long time, and had spent quite a bit of time thinking about how best to murder people in their sleep.

This is my supposition. I do think he planned the core part of his murders, which is the manner in which he used the knife, his blood-reduction use of bedding and mattresses, and the actual organ systems he targeted, using the Marine-style hold on the knife.

As far as we know at this time, only one shoe had a faint amount of blood by the time he walked past Dylan's door.

The autopsies will tell the story, though, if we ever get to see the reports (I assume we will, some day).

The list:

Items seized:
1. One nitrite type black glove
2. 1 Walmart receipt with one Dickies tag
3. 2 Marshalls receipts
4. Dust container from "Bissell Power Force" vacuum
5. 8 possible hair strands
6. 1 "Fire TV stick with cord/plug
7. 1 possible animal hair strand
8. 1 possible hair
9. 1 possible hair
10.1 possible hair
11. 1 possible hair strand
12. 1 computer tower
A. 1 collection of dark red spot (collected without testing)
B. 2 cuttings from uncased pillow of reddish/brown stain (larger stain tested)
C. 2 top and bottom of mattress cover packaged separately both labeled "C" multiple stains (one tested)

Not that much, IMO.

I wonder if LE was lucky enough to have a piece of the nitrile glove (presumably) to have torn and fallen off at the crime scene. Those gloves are thin and prone to tears, etc. They would be able to match unique polymer chemistry to a batch number etc.

Or better yet the glove take in the search being a previously worn glove.

I buy Nitrile and Latex gloves by the box full at Lowes. Use them all the time working in the pond, working with my plants, etc. They are meant to be disposable...and get torn rather easily.

If it is a pristine glove then they just pulled one out of the box to test to compare to IF they have a piece of a glove from the crime scene.

The computer will be helpful if he searched their address, Google Earth etc. for terrain.

BOTTOM LINE: With the search of the car and of his apartment, I think they will get more useful evidence.

The list:

Not that much, IMO.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised although the dust container from the vacuum is significant. The computer will be the most interesting thing. The possible animal hair could be game-changing for the case, though.

I do wonder what the receipts were for. Vans, I hope. A ski mask.

So far, the PCA indicates only one single source of DNA on the sheath snap. We don't know about the rest of the sheath.

He failed to study Rational Choice Theory thoroughly enough.

Touch DNA can last varying amounts of time, depending on use of the item and many other variables. I'm not as sure as you are that one can tell how long the DNA has been there.

I think he pinned the victims down by kneeling on them (legs) and used the knife in its regular manner, for accuracy and to avoid blood spurt/spatter onto himself. He likely still got bloody but would have had way less blood on him with this method.

This is one part I think he thought out and may have practiced. He probably flew across the room as rapidly as possible to surprise Ethan, knowing that if he could put his own weight on Ethan's lower body, Ethan had no chance. I think we'll find that each victim had 3-4 major wounds, not 10 or 20 or more.

I think BK had been role playing inside games with similar weapons for a long time, and had spent quite a bit of time thinking about how best to murder people in their sleep.

This is my supposition. I do think he planned the core part of his murders, which is the manner in which he used the knife, his blood-reduction use of bedding and mattresses, and the actual organ systems he targeted, using the Marine-style hold on the knife.

As far as we know at this time, only one shoe had a faint amount of blood by the time he walked past Dylan's door.

The autopsies will tell the story, though, if we ever get to see the reports (I assume we will, some day).
Well thought out post.

I've followed only a handful of cases, closely, and in every one of them, the killer did some form of stalking just prior (as in minutes to hours) to the murders. I always think about the fact that these guys all had an opportunity to back out. They didn't suddenly, impulsively kill out of rage, they followed/watched their victims and carried out the most horrific crimes on them by choice. So disturbing.
Yeah, IMHO stalking is foreplay for them before the actual murder. It gets them excited, ramps them up to commit the crime.

Pedophiles are similar, which is why CSAM is so dangerous. It excites them and can incite more crimes :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member