Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of today (Wednesday) I’m still negative ! Home and pcr tested.

Person that was sick last week is currently feeling much better. Improved daily after the first 48 hours. Still some stuffiness w/a minor sore throat, but not bad at all.

In other news, my spouse woke up sick as a dog today (not sure if he tested) and my other grown offspring -no symptoms- also tested positive this morning.

Household member tested positive on Friday.
This is our first case afaik. Well not really-someone else had to have been asymptomatic/positive recently- because the positive person hasn’t been anywhere but home.
As of today (Monday) I’m still negative! *knock wood* (I got the moderna biv booster in September fwiw)

Last edited:
As of today (Wednesday) I’m still negative ! Home and pcr tested.

Sick person is currently feeling much better. Improved daily after the first 48 hours. Still some stuffiness w minor sore throat. But not bad at all.

In other news, my spouse woke up sick as a dog today (not sure if he tested) and my other grown offspring -no symptoms- also tested positive this morning.
Oh no! If your spouse has Covid, I hope you can manage to stay negative. I'm glad the other sick person continues to get well.

Oh no! If your spouse has Covid, I hope you can manage to stay negative. I'm glad the other sick person continues to get well.
I know of at least one couple who has kept one person well while the other had covid.

Separation and masking in the house, separate beds, separate bathrooms if possible and frequent cleaning if not, etc. Hope you stay well @weepingangel !

The Genetic Mutation That Makes ‘Kraken’ Covid So Contagious​

A particular change in the spike protein means the virus is spreading faster than ever
THERE’S A NEW, more contagious form of the novel-coronavirus. It’s got a greater ability to evade our antibodies. And it’s spreading easier than ever.

You’ve read these words before, and you’ll almost certainly read them again as the Covid pandemic grinds into its fourth calendar year. But pay attention, because there’s something new about XBB.1.5, also known as Kraken, the latest Omicron subvariant that’s quickly becoming the dominant form of SARS-CoV-2 across much of the world. XBB.1.5 evolved after a couple of big genetic twists and turns.

The virus still has the potential to surprise us. And that can mean only one thing: “SARS-CoV-2 seems like it’s going to be with us for a long time,” says Matthew Frieman, a University of Maryland School of Medicine immunologist and microbiologist.

More at link . . .

I know of at least one couple who has kept one person well while the other had covid.

Separation and masking in the house, separate beds, separate bathrooms if possible and frequent cleaning if not, etc. Hope you stay well @weepingangel !
I tested positive on Tuesday, Dec 27, the day after my symptoms started, and DH didn't think he had it so didn't test. Once I tested positive, we slept in separate bedrooms but otherwise no precautions taken--no masking or frequent cleaning. We finally tested him on Dec 31, and he was negative (I was still positive). I've heard from other people about similar situations.

Obviously I was able to transmit enough virus to my son before he & fam went home on the 27th, because he got sick on the 31st. But DIL and GS didn't get it. Go figure!

I've heard ventilation is helpful as well. Opening windows, etc. Sending you and yours best wishes.

The Genetic Mutation That Makes ‘Kraken’ Covid So Contagious​

A particular change in the spike protein means the virus is spreading faster than ever
THERE’S A NEW, more contagious form of the novel-coronavirus. It’s got a greater ability to evade our antibodies. And it’s spreading easier than ever.

You’ve read these words before, and you’ll almost certainly read them again as the Covid pandemic grinds into its fourth calendar year. But pay attention, because there’s something new about XBB.1.5, also known as Kraken, the latest Omicron subvariant that’s quickly becoming the dominant form of SARS-CoV-2 across much of the world. XBB.1.5 evolved after a couple of big genetic twists and turns.

The virus still has the potential to surprise us. And that can mean only one thing: “SARS-CoV-2 seems like it’s going to be with us for a long time,” says Matthew Frieman, a University of Maryland School of Medicine immunologist and microbiologist.

More at link . . .
Cheery news, isn't it?
Here's another article (red BBM):

Excerpt about the R number of XBB.1.5:

XBB.1.5—unofficially nicknamed “Kraken” by some scientists online—is an Omicron subvariant that has caught the attention of virologists in recent weeks because of its significant advantage in how fast it spreads. Research by computational virologist Trevor Bedford and his team at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center in Seattle suggests XBB.1.5 currently has a reproduction number of around 1.6, meaning that every person infected by this subvariant will, on average, go on to infect about 1.6 other people.

Now you "know" two. I had covid in late November. I isolated from my DH (I hope that stands for Dear Husband?) in our bedroom while he slept on the couch and cared for me for two weeks. We wore N95s whenever in the same room. Didn't do any out of the ordinary cleaning. He tested regularly including a PCR test. All negative. I was amazed (and glad and a little jealous) that he didn't get it!

I tested positive on Tuesday, Dec 27, the day after my symptoms started, and DH didn't think he had it so didn't test. Once I tested positive, we slept in separate bedrooms but otherwise no precautions taken--no masking or frequent cleaning. We finally tested him on Dec 31, and he was negative (I was still positive). I've heard from other people about similar situations.

Obviously I was able to transmit enough virus to my son before he & fam went home on the 27th, because he got sick on the 31st. But DIL and GS didn't get it. Go figure!
Sorry to hear you tested positive- hoping if you have symptoms they are mild

Well, more bad news about Covid-19--------- the latest variants are able to escape our boosted immune systems. I figure eventually everyone will get this nasty virus and that is not good news because one does not know how we will handle it. Some people will do well, others won't and then there is Long Covid. I can't tell you how much I hate this virus- which apparently is going to provide us with variants into infinity.

Sorry to hear you tested positive- hoping if you have symptoms they are mild
Thanks--they were mild but I was pretty lethargic for a couple of weeks. I'm well over it now with no remaining symptoms. ETA: my sense of smell hasn't fully returned, though. I hope it will. I used to have a keen sense of smell!

Last edited:

Well, more bad news about Covid-19--------- the latest variants are able to escape our boosted immune systems. I figure eventually everyone will get this nasty virus and that is not good news because one does not know how we will handle it. Some people will do well, others won't and then there is Long Covid. I can't tell you how much I hate this virus- which apparently is going to provide us with variants into infinity.
Yes. As a worrier, I'm concerned about having problems down the road, which would most likely be worse if I got Covid again. Some of our closest friends are in the same boat but don't fret about the risks like I do.

From your link (below), that's been my reservation with the XBB1.5 variant and the available bivalent vaccines. It seems like the government is blindly repeating the same "get the vaccine" mantra that we heard in March 2020 without providing more detailed reasons. I don't want to get a vaccine booster every 5-6 months for the next 3-5 years, or however long this pandemic lasts. If the vaccine is known to make a big difference, I'll get it. What I'm reading today is not providing me with the confidence I need to continues with booster shots.

"This is cause for concern because as the authors wrote, these variants “may reduce the efficacy of current mRNA vaccines.”

Thanks--they were mild but I was pretty lethargic for a couple of weeks. I'm well over it now with no remaining symptoms. ETA: my sense of smell hasn't fully returned, though. I hope it will. I used to have a keen sense of smell!
sounds like even so-called mild cases still cause worrying symptoms like the ones
you describe. Hope your sense of sme!l returns fully soon

From your link (below), that's been my reservation with the XBB1.5 variant and the available bivalent vaccines. It seems like the government is blindly repeating the same "get the vaccine" mantra that we heard in March 2020 without providing more detailed reasons. I don't want to get a vaccine booster every 5-6 months for the next 3-5 years, or however long this pandemic lasts. If the vaccine is known to make a big difference, I'll get it. What I'm reading today is not providing me with the confidence I need to continues with booster shots.

"This is cause for concern because as the authors wrote, these variants “may reduce the efficacy of current mRNA vaccines.”
i am 6 months since my last booster and i find myself hesitating to get the bivalent--
there is also the issue of a possible link between the Pfizer vaccine and cases
of stroke in people over 65 years old- though they say Moderna is not involved
with this potential link

i am 6 months since my last booster and i find myself hesitating to get the bivalent--
there is also the issue of a possible link between the Pfizer vaccine and cases
of stroke in people over 65 years old- though they say Moderna is not involved
with this potential link
I wonder if someone who is reluctant to get the bivalent booster has the option of getting a "regular" booster of either brand.

Or are those all gone now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member