ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 68

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaylee Goncalves had a dog named Murphy who survived the attack.

Kaylee shared the pup with her ex-boyfriend, Jack, who is now caring for him full-time. To keep people updated on how this sweet dog is doing, he created an Instagram account featuring his photos. Here's the very first post on the account. As you'll see, the caption reads: "Missing my mom every day, but trying to live my best life. I got to admire her beauty in the sky this evening."
I think Murphy will be a bit of a hero in all this if his hair is traced to clothing found in BK's apartment. Wouldn't it be something if Murphy helps convict BK? I truly hope this happens.

A leather knife sheath - couldn't he have found a plastic one, or a rubber one.
MOO Re: the apparent incongruence of BK being a vegan, allegedly having a leather knife sheath, and allegedly killing 4 people:
It was mentioned many threads back that he may have posted on Tapatalk as a teenager about experiencing visual snow, and that he adjusted his diet and eventually went vegan as a way to improve that. Newsweek ran an article about it: Did Bryan Kohberger discuss demons in these disturbing online posts? and it was discussed on NN:

If these posts were him, IMO, it would make sense to me that he would be extraordinarily cautious about CONSUMPTION if he felt it improved his health (new pots/pans, being extra careful his pizza didn’t touch animal products). But that’s not a moral standpoint that would stop him from owning a leather knife sheath, or touching leather, perhaps having leather sneakers, etc. I don’t think he was vegan for the greater good or for the welfare of living beings, I think he felt it was beneficial to himself only to not consume animal products.

So much MOO.

On the podcast The Murder Sheet that was linked here, a defense attorney talks about possible defenses like someone stealing his car and his cell phone. It was so interesting. He said that defense attorneys can't just throw out ideas without any evidence to back them up. If BK tried to say that someone stole his car and his phone all of those times that it was seen/pinged near the house, then he has to provide evidence to prove it. Did he file a police report for the stolen items? Does he have a witness that will testify to stealing the car? He said a judge will not allow these theories to be introduced to a jury without corroborating evidence.

Thank you to whoever linked that podcast. Both defense attorneys that were interviewed said the case is very strong, LE did a fantastic job, and it is their opinions that the best a defense attorney is going to be able to do for BK is to try and avoid the death penalty.
Thank you. I think the problem with the predictions you cite are the discretion left to the judge. Was there any corroborating evidence that George Anthony was involved in the disposal of his drowned granddaughter? Not that *I* recall. It was just something the defense attorney claimed in opening statements without even having Casey Anthony take the stand.

I understand the rules of evidence probably prohibit the defense from claiming "alien abduction" of a missing victim, but "grandfather had his dead granddaughter tossed into the bushes" and "somebody stole defendant's car" sound about equally probable to my ear.

Note: I am not a lawyer.

Forensic Autopsy of Sharp Force Injuries

Injuries produced by pointed objects or objects with sharp edges are referred to as "sharp force injuries." Sharp force injuries are characterized by a relatively well-defined traumatic separation of tissues, occurring when a sharp-edged or pointed object comes into contact with the skin and underlying tissues. Three specific subtypes of sharp force injuries exist, as follows: stab wounds, incised wounds, and chop wounds.

I’m thinking Ethan may have been lying on his stomach wearing a dark coloured t-shirt which would at first sight, mask blood stains and tears. The killer would have imo, furiously stabbed multiple times to overcome and kill the victim in seconds. :(

Edit- somehow I lost @scottishgal post about pca portion.
I think there's a reason Ethan's info wasn't released in the PCA, it had to be different from the girls - so not stabbed in the same fashion... Without getting too graphic, more slashed/chop motions as mentioned above :(

So depending where the wounds were or if too many, COD might've been harder to determine as not an obvious spot on the body targeted (heart, head, throat/neck, etc). Sorry I feel bad typing this...

I think he was asleep otherwise DM would've heard Ethan vocalizing if he got up. Ethan's and Xana's faces were untouched according to that article posted awhile back (a possible interesting clue)... which leads me to believe one of the girls upstairs faces wasn't left untouched.

Except the 2 survivors. Especially DM and he would know that she was there...

Now that I've seen the updated floor plans posted earlier in this thread, I realize that the intruder couldn't get from X's room to the sliders WITHOUT appearing to "walk toward DM" (in the doorway to her room on the middle floor).

As such and though we can't know for sure, I am more inclined to think it possible that BK left without seeing DM standing there frozen with shock. He may have been looking toward his exit even as his feet were headed in DM's direction.

We are talking a few seconds at most, unless DM later tells us he paused to consider what to do with her.

Not to mention the "investigator familiar with the case" who apparently said that "law enforcement is aware of the restaurant visits" and have "collected surveillance video from the restaurant and surrounding businesses".
How would a restaurant owner know everyone who has ever been to their restaurant? If a customer paid with cash, no paper trail. Understandably, the restaurant just doesn’t want the attention, but the statement is a bit suspect. JMO

In regards to BK’s veganism and the leather knife sheath: I have a family member who is a strict vegan, who also avoids food cooked on surfaces where meat was cooked. This family member also owns many leather items. I don't think BK’s veganism was tied to animal rights, but was instead a health concern.

Not to nitpick or split hairs, but: “At least 99.9998% of the male population would be expected to be excluded from the possibility of being the suspect’s biological father…”. That’s a 2 person out of a million possible inclusion.

A little stronger than 99.8% ;)
Yeah. Isn't that like the difference between "2 in a thousand" and "2 in a million"?

(Sorry. I probably don't need to explain I'm not a STEM guy.)

Now that I've seen the updated floor plans posted earlier in this thread, I realize that the intruder couldn't get from X's room to the sliders WITHOUT appearing to "walk toward DM" (in the doorway to her room on the middle floor).

As such and though we can't know for sure, I am more inclined to think it possible that BK left without seeing DM standing there frozen with shock. He may have been looking toward his exit even as his feet were headed in DM's direction.

We are talking a few seconds at most, unless DM later tells us he paused to consider what to do with her.
I’ve also seen it pointed out that one of the “Good Vibes” signs would have been in his field of vision right before he passed DM’s room, and if it was on, the brightness would have temporarily impaired his vision as he walked past her. I believe he either didn’t see her, or he was tired and more concerned with getting away and out of the house.

If he was aware of DM’s presence, he may also have been worried about the noise level in XK’s room and afraid that DM had already called police, or was currently on the phone with police.

I am oblivious to any statements that LaBar has made that put a fair trial at risk.
Would you mind citing?
In his interview with Brian Entin he publicly questioned the merits of the evidence in the PCA, broke it down and told how he can poke holes in it with details of possible trial strategies. He said he doesn’t think BK can get a fair trial in Idaho.
He says he did not speak to BK about the case but it’s easy for the public to believe he has inside information of the case whether it’s true or not.
He said he’s been in contact with the Idaho Public Defense Commission. He mentions speaking with the Idaho public defender which could get them in trouble for LeBar’s interviews. Why are they speaking with him if he’s not an agent of this case? While the Idaho public defender was filing their own request for the first gag order, LeBar was asking BK if it was ok to put out an official statement attesting to his innocence.
LeBar’s statement to the press that BK was “calm and intelligent” during questioning is one example of evidence not permissible in court, (“e” in the order). His privileged conversations with his client are inadmissible as he can not be a witness.
All of these things can influence a jury pool.
That’s why both parties agreed to the order, to ensure a fair trial based on the admissible evidence.
No one wants a verdict effected by public perception that is based on opinions of attorneys with insider information attached to this case.

Non-dissemination Order

Evidence regarding the occurrences or transactions involved in the case;
b. The character, credibility, reputation, or criminal record of a party, victim, or witness, or the identity of a witness, or the expected testimony of a party, victim, or witness;
c. The performance or results of any examination or test or the refusal or failure of a person to submit to an examination or test;
d. Any opinion as to the merits of the case or the claims or defense of a party;
e. Any information a lawyer knows or reasonably should know is likely to be inadmissible as evidence in a trial and that would, if disclosed, create a substantial risk of prejudicing an impartial trial;
f. Any information reasonably likely to interfere with a fair trial in this case
afforded under the United States and Idaho Constitution, such as the existence
or contents of any confession, admission, or statement given by the Defendant, the possibility of a plea of guilt, or any opinion as to the Defendant‘s guilt or innocence.

Edited to add: Jmo

Last edited:
If there were 600000 cars on the road. And 10 Elantra's were amongst them. Then the difference might be a little harder to stomach.

But combine this with his other visits to Moscow, his car leaving the UW campus, his phone being turned off, his DNA at the crime scene, his car returning to the UW campus and any doubt in the traffic camera and cell data is squashed.

A reasonable person is not going to think that all of those things I just stated happened by chance.

Jurors don't acquit on technicalities like this. ESPECIALLY when you have corroborating evidence.
I agree. And we haven't yet seen data from the accused's phone that may/or may not exist (locations recorded via background apps) to support the ping data. Either way, I'm of the opinion that the Probable Cause Affadavit presents a strong premliminary and very feasible/reasonable picture of how the accused could have commited this crime. And the evidence places him on the street in his vehicle on the night. MOO

Not to mention the "investigator familiar with the case" who apparently said that "law enforcement is aware of the restaurant visits" and have "collected surveillance video from the restaurant and surrounding businesses".
Do you have a source please John Book?

Others may have brought this up before, but because I keep seeing OCD mentioned in these threads, it may bear repeating. Not all OCD is the same. I have OCDs that cause me to pick at my skin and pull out strands of hair. I also have a tendency to hoard things. When I clean and organize, I usually go above and beyond, but I don't do them regularly. My house is chaos 99% of the time. I would LOVE to be hyper-focused about cleanliness and fitness, but I can't pick and choose what I'm compulsively obsessed about.

We don't know what BK's flavor of OCD looks like, and we shouldn't assume that he's a neat freak or well organized.
I guess I missed this information about BK.

Is there a confirmed diagnosis regarding OCD?

The no blood trail outside is perplexing to me. Especially with the revelation that they have a latent print. Of course, there are no evidence photos from the back left of the house, that area was hidden from cameras so we wouldn't see the evidence markers or the dog working back there, but still I would think they would find something on the exit concrete? JMO

The hair is something important that I haven't seen discussed. They searched and recovered hair from his apartment. Does that mean they found unknown hair in the bedrooms? Or are they looking for victim hair? Maybe both? I did notice they took 3 hairs, 9 strands (which I think means long hair), 1 animal hair. And no fibers recovered, but maybe they look for those on the mattress cover and in the vaccuum contents.

I think people have to stop assuming there was some big blood frenzy at the inception. Some victims will have been stabbed under their bedding.
Victims are largely horizontal and distant from the perpetrator. The blood flowed later.

The perpetrator may have had one small droplet. No blood on shoes etc.

Looking forward to the material facts at trial

Why did he wait until he got to his family home to clean the vehicle? Crazy.
Probably because he believed he had the privacy to do it at his parents house vs in a parking lot for all to see.

I’ve done many cross country road trips. There’s always a big clean up of the car once I arrive home.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members