ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 69

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the case, somebody better tell the owner that that ship has already sailed.

Even if it turns out that kohberger never patronized the place, that restaurant will be forever linked to a couple of the victims...
So true, I think the owner knows this murder case has irreparably damaged her business, and has zero tolerance for any discussion, I don't blame her.

This is the latest news. Sorry if it has already been posted.

The article's headline is somewhat misleading.
It says "... search warrant found less evidence than expected, expert says."
However, the article only says that the "expert" former FBI agent Jennifer Coffindaffer, expected more evidence--not the actual investigators on the case.

However, the article only says that the "expert" former FBI agent Jennifer Coffindaffer, expected more evidence--not the actual investigators on the case.
I think it will be quality of evidence, not quantity. For instance, if the

"possible animal hair" turns out to be from Kaylee's dog, the red stains contain the murder victim's dna, etc. That list of evidence may have potential to solve the case and convict bk.

I’ve been thinking about this. When she sees the evidence, if it’s very apparent that he did it, how hard will she go to poke holes? I hope she wouldn’t be “Jose Baez-like” in unscrupulous-ness (IMO). Or even like those Jodi Arias defense attorneys, who I felt acted deplorably.

Might she try to broker a plea for him? Might she just stick with legal issues regarding admissibility of evidence, etc., to protect his rights? I hope she doesn’t go for a bogus SODDI defense (if no evidence of such exists).

I wonder if BKs family could convince him to plead guilty (if it could mean potentially avoiding the DP.) Does he care enough about them that if they tried to persuade him, he’d listen?

MOO.
After a certain high profile case did not result in a guilty verdict, I purposefully chose to word my post to describe "ethical" defense attorneys. She can tell him that the evidence doesn't look good for him or that some of the evidence will be very hard to refute. She probably wouldn't suggest he take a plea deal unless the Prosecution actually offers him one. I suspect his family can have the greatest influence on him as to whether or not he accepts a plea deal. They have already been through a lot and it will only get worse as this case goes to trial. The preliminary hearing may be in June, but the actual trial may not be until November or sometime next year.

MOO:
Places I have found animal hair: in the fridge, in my eyes, in my panties, on the doors,on the bedding, in all the corners...
Where I intend to touch animal hair: on my dog

Therefore, if murphy sheds even close to a very-low-shedding breed, my hopes are high! Though, as a half-poodle, there is the "risk" of non-shedding.

Also, ladies shed, too. And I feel like especially the ones fighting for their life might. I am not too hopeful we'll find any of these hairs on BK as they'd be easier to notice. But I sure hope BK himself shed an eyelash or something in their rooms.
My dog has a double coat and sheds. Even though I have a regular cleaning service, I find his hair everywhere. All the places you mentioned but also inside my microwave, stuck around the drip pans of the burners on my stove. I believe that his dog hair is in the "air" and is moved around by the heating and air and ventilation fans. But Murphy was a low speeding dog breed of dog, so his hair may be harder to transfer.

Even if he did eat there, I'm not sure how that could suggest he was stalking the victims. He was vegan and they had a vegan dish there. Even the unnamed source (the only person who says he ate there) says it was once, if I remember correctly. Hard to make a stalking case just for that, IMO.

MOO.
BK being near their house 12x early am, him instagramming one of them and following 3, and then eventually allegedly murdering them speaks to stalking and it's not out of the realm of possibility he was at the restaurant. There is no way that restaurant owner was there every second there is no way she could know if BK ate there IMO. So yes just him being at the restaurant isnt enough but everything all together is, IMO.

But Murphy was examined.
Was there any blood from the perp's hand on his fur?
Nothing has ever been released by LE to suggest Murphy ever came into direct contact with the alleged perp (BK). BK could have picked up a/some hair/s on his person from other parts of the house and if so transferred them back to his residence inadvertently. MOO.

I think of the possible animal hair strand taken by warrant from bk's UW apt, it seems possible the dog heard some sound of distress from its owner, and began barking. BK may have approached it with a few pats to silence him. His blood sticky hand would easily carry off some dog hair.
Nothing definite rules out that possibility atm I suppose. Unfortunately the evidence per PCA so far doesn't really paint such a picture, the repeated barking that is on the audio occurs at c 4.17am, at which point, if I read the PCA right, BK (alleged killer) is thought to be about to exit the premises (ie seen leaving neighbourhood at speed at 4.20am). My feeling is that if that is a hair from Murphy from BK's appartment, he likely just picked it up in one of the rooms as he was moving throughout the house..on his clothing or shoes for eg...then transferred back to his place. MOO

The dog could have barked at some other point, but if so we aren't privy to that info. I feel sure LE would have examined the dog minutely. Nothing was ever released to suggest the dog had blood on it, but you're right in that LE have not ruled it out. MOO

so, paraphrasing - even though the paywalled is removed by NYT- public records request by NYT reveals that BK was one of 4 candidates for the job (research assistantship for public safety.) Pullman refuse to answer whether he got the job.

applied some time in the spring of 2022 or earlier?
zoom meeting with the chief in late April - screenshot of Chief's letter
this is before he'd started his main research for his MA dissertation at DeSales University

so did he apply for this before he'd secured the student TA role at WSU? Anybody know?

NYT author & screenshots:

from screenshot ' Complex Social Interactions Lab' at WSU - analysing Pullman's data - not MPD's

Previous reporting from Fox, 13 Jan 2022

'More than five police departments share bodycam video with the CSI Lab database, according to the university' ( doesn't include MPD) 'It's unclear whether Kohberger had attempted this process, but the university vehemently denied he was allowed in the CSI Lab.Phil Weiler, WSU’s vice president of marketing and communications, told Fox News Digital Friday evening that Kohberger never obtained entry to the programs."To be clear, Bryan Kohberger never had access to any footage from the Complex Social Interaction Lab at Washington State University," he said. "Access to that facility is strictly controlled. All research assistants must complete a background check, an FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Level 2 certification, be fingerprinted by the FBI and sign a confidentiality agreement in order to enter the facility."

Fox's source contradicts Weiler '..."multiple individuals who have not gone through the vetting or training to enter the facility'

ETA
PCA details, page 12 of the affidavit. Fall 2022? View attachment 397013
For crying out loud...Is that another "typo" in the PCA. I think the PCA as a whole is an amazingly detailed document and certainly demonstrates probable cause, but the defense are surely going to pounce on these mistakes and try to put the whole thing into question, or at least the competence of the writer? I've read the un-paywalled NYT article and there seems to be no doubt that BK actually applied for the internship in April (on-line not in person) whilst he was still at De Sales (sp?) but intending to go to WSU. Very disappointing if the PCA got this wrong. MOO

Nothing has ever been released by LE to suggest Murphy ever came into direct contact with the alleged perp (BK). BK could have picked up a/some hair/s on his person from other parts of the house and if so transferred them back to his residence inadvertently. MOO.
A very likely place for BK to pick up dog hair would be on the bedding where he killed MM and KG, IMO.

Reading beyond the headlines is definitely a good idea IMO.

I wish Kaylee Goncalves traveled to Texas and started her dream job
I wish Madison Mogen finished her marketing major in her senior year, and sought her marketing dream job
I wish Xana Kernodle finished her junior year as a marketing major with amazing grades
I wish Ethan Chapin could still hit the links and play basketball all summer long

I wish this never happened....
I wish it, too.

And I hope that in the next life they get to do all the things they missed this time around.

For crying out loud...Is that another "typo" in the PCA. I think the PCA as a whole is an amazingly detailed document and certainly demonstrates probable cause, but the defense are surely going to pounce on these mistakes and try to put the whole thing into question, or at least the competence of the writer? I've read the un-paywalled NYT article and there seems to be no doubt that BK actually applied for the internship in April (on-line not in person) whilst he was still at De Sales (sp?) but intending to go to WSU. Very disappointing if the PCA got this wrong. MOO
Reply to self: Typos or amateur inaccuracies in PCA, detected to date: At one point King Street mentioned instead on Queen Street; Applied for internship in "the fall" (infact I believe applied in April (Spring) per NYT -see above for source); Johnson ID is mentioned when, according to many posters here, that should be Johnson WA (others will have to speak to this).

I don't for one minute believe there is anything sinister in these inaccuracies. To me they are just the result of incompetence by the writer MOO. But what will the Defense do with this, to undermine LE? I'm just really annoyed that a document as important as a PCA should contain such errors. I think it should have been checked and double checked with a fine toothed comb before going before a Judge. MOO

Reply to self: Typos or amateur inaccuracies in PCA, detected to date: At one point King Street mentioned instead on Queen Street; Applied for internship in "the fall" (infact I believe applied in April (Spring) per NYT -see above for source); Johnson ID is mentioned when, according to many posters here, that should be Johnson WA (others will have to speak to this).

I don't for one minute believe there is anything sinister in these inaccuracies. To me they are just the result of incompetence by the writer MOO. But what will the Defense do with this, to undermine LE? I'm just really annoyed that a document as important as a PCA should contain such errors. I think it should have been checked and double checked with a fine toothed comb before going before a Judge. MOO
I agree. Nothing sinister, but could have double and triple checked/proofed it, especially for a case of this magnitude.

I imagine we will eventually learn more, as time goes on. LE is not commenting any more. Hopefully something showed up on the video collected.
Wasn’t there a ping near the restaurant and then another near their home as if he had followed them from home to work? Or am I misremembering? JMO

I highly doubt that the author of the Affidavit made a typo or error just because an email shows that BK was interviewed in April.

Do you really think the lead investigator on this case got his facts wrong?

He writes that “ Pursuant to records provided by a member of the interview panel .. “.

So he has records to back up his facts.

“ These records show that Kohberger wrote an essay when he applied for an internship with the Pullman PD in the Fall of 2022”

BK could have had a phone/Zoom interview in April and then been narrowed down to the top 3 or 4 candidates by end of Summer and invited to provide an essay for final consideration. JMO

Why become suspicious of LE or think they are incompetent because a reporter found proof that BK applied for an internship?

The Defense is not going to pick apart the arrest affidavit, believe me.

JMO E9BA27B2-10C4-497A-BA9D-BE76C1BF6CEB.jpeg

I highly doubt that the author of the Affidavit made a typo or error just because an email shows that BK was interviewed in April.

Do you really think the lead investigator on this case got his facts wrong?

He writes that “ Pursuant to records provided by a member of the interview panel .. “.

So he has records to back up his facts.

“ These records show that Kohberger wrote an essay when he applied for an internship with the Pullman PD in the Fall of 2022”

BK could have had a phone/Zoom interview in April and then been narrowed down to the top 3 or 4 candidates by end of Summer and invited to provide an essay for final consideration. JMO

Why become suspicious of LE or think they are incompetent because a reporter found proof that BK applied for an internship?

The Defense is not going to pick apart the arrest affidavit, believe me.

JMO View attachment 397130
BBM:I'm so glad that you mention that possibility. I certainly hope that is what happenned. I probably did misread the NYT article, in that was not his application interview. I think I was annoyed by the King Street/Queen Street error in the PCA, and got all flustered when I saw this potential discrepancy.

Thank you for pointing out. It is actually a massive relief!

ETA: I think I made it clear that I am not suspicious of LE. I think they have done a fine job and I think the PCA is an amazingly detailed and damning document of Probable Cause. I just think it is unprofessional and an incompetence on the part of the writer that there are typos/inaccuracies - in there (excluding the Fall application which is in all likelihood not a mistake as you point out). MOO

Last edited:
I agree. Nothing sinister, but could have double and triple checked/proofed it, especially for a case of this magnitude.
I probably jumped the gun with the Fall reference being inaccurate, another poster pointed out it may not contradict the fact BK discussed the internship via email in April (ie that may not and probably wasn't his actual application for the internship). On the other two inaccuracies I think they stand. In general I have nothing but admiration for the way LE put that PCA together and I hope I made that clear in my initial post! MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member